Author Topic: 50+ words a day...no matter what!  (Read 308837 times)

Lorri Moulton

Re: 50+ words a day...no matter what!
« Reply #1450 on: January 30, 2020, 05:57:02 AM »
Congrats, Lynn!  That's wonderful.  :goodpost:

Author of Romance, Fantasy, Fairytales, Mystery & Suspense, and Historical Non-Fiction @ Lavender Cottage Books

The following users thanked this post: Lynn

Lynn

« Reply #1451 on: January 31, 2020, 11:35:35 AM »
1754 yesterday
Don't rush me.

The following users thanked this post: Lorri Moulton

Lorri Moulton

« Reply #1452 on: February 11, 2020, 04:03:23 AM »
I've been writing...just not for my books.  I'm taking a social media class online and it's taking up most of my free time right now.  Hopefully, tomorrow I can get back to my story!  :angel:

Author of Romance, Fantasy, Fairytales, Mystery & Suspense, and Historical Non-Fiction @ Lavender Cottage Books

Lynn

« Reply #1453 on: February 15, 2020, 02:55:55 AM »
I finally gave up writing every day for a while. Just couldn't take it anymore. I added a lot of stuff to my stories that was just to get some words for the day and then on the days when I was invested, I found myself spending too much time trying to meld it all together. Just not my style at all. I'm thinking I'm finally ready to admit that daily writing doesn't work for my process! :D It works to get me over a hump of low productivity, but that's about it. :)
Don't rush me.

Lynn

« Reply #1454 on: February 15, 2020, 03:50:44 AM »
Well, I prefer to write only when I want to but I make a living writing my fiction and I'd rather keep that up, so I try things regularly to keep me engaged and writing.

Writing every day just doesn't seem to be one of those that works for me. I've tried it in the past and this time was my longest streak yet at 186 days. But it just wasn't doing what I wanted it to do. If it works for someone else, I'm not going to knock it. :D We all have to find our own way.
Don't rush me.

Lynn

« Reply #1455 on: February 15, 2020, 04:12:27 AM »
I'd say I'm the opposite. I have ideas and thoughts about my stories all the time but I hate sitting down to write them out. Really hate it. So I'm always trying to find little extra things that will make the actual story writing less of a chore for me. Haven't found my magic pill yet. ;-)

If not for the fact that I can sell my stories only when I write them, I wouldn't bother most of the time writing them. I like to create stories, but I don't actually think I like to write that much. :D It has been a weird thing to realize these last 7 years. Still, I love creating my stories and reading them after the fact, so it feels worth the effort in the end.

Or maybe I'm just down on it all right now because I'm having such a hard time with this current book. It's being a damn nuisance. ;-)
« Last Edit: February 15, 2020, 04:15:08 AM by Lynn »
Don't rush me.

diisha392

« Reply #1456 on: February 16, 2020, 12:35:31 PM »
About 800 words to finish my second short story of the year (this one is 2.5K words total, smaller than the first one).

Lorri Moulton

« Reply #1457 on: February 18, 2020, 07:48:00 AM »
141 words so far.  Good to be back in the story!

Lorri Moulton

« Reply #1458 on: February 19, 2020, 01:18:46 PM »
588 words today...and time to start the next chapter.  :dog1:

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #1459 on: March 01, 2020, 08:48:48 AM »
I had an idea for a short story, so I decided to see if I could write it before March.  I started on Feb. 25th, I think.  I've got a little more than three thousand words written over the past few days.  Obviously, I'm disappointed in that total.  I won't be finishing the story before March.

I've got the beginning of a story, though.  It might even end up being novella length.  Only time will tell.
v  v  v  v  v    Short Stories    v  v  v  v  v    vv FREE! vv

Genres: Science Fiction, Fantasy (some day) | Author Website

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #1460 on: March 04, 2020, 03:42:02 AM »
Still working on the space opera.  I think I've mentioned before that I try for a minimum of 100 words per day.  A far cry from the 1,000/day I managed some months last year but, at least in February, I did manage to write at least 100 words per day.  In fact, my lowest day was 100 words.  The other 28 days were 100+.  Best day was 670 words.  The average was just shy of 200 words daily at 199.83 words per day.  At some point, I need to try to get back up to a daily average of 1,000 words if I have any hope of finishing all of my WIPs within a statistical average life time.

I did write 5,795 words in February, which is a day's work for some people, but it's still progress.  I moved the story from 103,560 words to 109,355 words.  Granted, that includes roughly 1,500 words of notes but it's too time-consuming to deduct out the note word counts.  I just keep it in mind that I'm roughly 1,500 words shorter than I think.

At any rate, the book was originally going to be around 50k, then 75k or 80k (who can remember anymore?), then 90k and, finally, I figured 125k maximum.  Well, the characters have just found out what the big bad is really up to--which includes finding out the big bad they thought they were dealing with is little more than a puppet for the real big bad.  I think it's going to take more than 16k words for them to develop a plan to defeat the big bad.  Of course, I already know how they do it, but it's getting them there.

So, at the current rate, that's another 3-4 months before this book is complete.  It bears repeating that this was a book I started four and a half years ago with the improbable plan of finishing it in ten days.  LOL.
Mulder: "If you're distracted by fear of those around you, it keeps you from seeing the actions of those above."
The X-Files: "Blood"

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #1461 on: March 06, 2020, 05:54:58 AM »
I still do a daily drawing as well.  Here is today's:

I show little to no improvement which is why this guy is an alien because his species, while appearing human with large eyes, also shares characteristics with fiddler crabs in that one hand is significantly larger than the other.  You would think he would carry his weapon in his smaller hand and use the larger hand for fighting off enemies, but the space military he serves with didn't design their weapons for people with tiny hands.  Some of his people protested, but they found themselves accidentally expelled from an airlock when they found themselves trapped after following some bad directions to the meeting room and their tiny hands were too small to press the emergency override button and their larger hands too big to press the same button.
Mulder: "If you're distracted by fear of those around you, it keeps you from seeing the actions of those above."
The X-Files: "Blood"

diisha392

« Reply #1462 on: March 18, 2020, 11:43:40 PM »
Finally took some time back to focus on writing and managed about 1K to complete a short story with hints of St. Patrick's Day.

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #1463 on: March 19, 2020, 06:14:24 AM »
Between the abscess on my toe and all this coronavirus frenzy, I've had a hard time focusing on writing.  My production this month has been poor.

Last night, though, I cranked out several hundred words in what was envisioned as a short story but is now looking like it might be a novella.  So, some progress.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #1464 on: March 29, 2020, 05:24:13 AM »
Just got back home from nearly two months the hospital and rehab. Two strokes. seizures, endocarditis, mitral valve replacement.

speech is getting better but typing and spelling is a struggle.

But i will write again. coming back here for inspiration.

:Healing:

Lorri Moulton

« Reply #1465 on: March 29, 2020, 05:25:51 AM »
Maggie Ann, I am so glad you're back.  I knew you were feeling a little sick a while back...but I had no idea.  Wishing you all the best and a speedy recovery!

Maggie Ann

« Reply #1466 on: March 29, 2020, 05:47:13 AM »
Maggie Ann, I am so glad you're back.  I knew you were feeling a little sick a while back...but I had no idea.  Wishing you all the best and a speedy recovery!

:banana-riding-llama-smiley-em

Lorri Moulton

« Reply #1467 on: March 30, 2020, 06:35:06 AM »
Hope you're all having a peaceful Sunday! 💜
Photo courtesy of Secret Garden

The following users thanked this post: Maggie Ann

Maggie Ann

« Reply #1468 on: March 30, 2020, 11:50:02 PM »
Hope you're all having a peaceful Sunday! 💜
Photo courtesy of Secret Garden

Sweet

Lynn

« Reply #1469 on: April 02, 2020, 11:57:38 AM »
Just got back home from nearly two months the hospital and rehab. Two strokes. seizures, endocarditis, mitral valve replacement.

So sorry to hear that but I'm really glad you're back and recovering! I had no idea. I thought maybe you were just taking a break. :o
Don't rush me.

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #1470 on: April 02, 2020, 01:44:59 PM »

I must have missed this comment earlier.  Maggie Ann, I'm sorry you had to go through all that.  I hope you get back to your old self soon. 

notthatamanda

« Reply #1471 on: April 02, 2020, 09:00:49 PM »

Take care Maggie, hope you are 100% soon.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #1472 on: April 05, 2020, 10:38:24 AM »
Thank you for the kind words. You are inspiring.  I'm leaning to type all over again.  :tap

notthatamanda

« Reply #1473 on: April 18, 2020, 12:33:48 AM »
647 words. It's been well over a month and it felt really good. Also weird because I was writing about a very crowded college registration, meeting people, shaking hands. But I know what I want to write for the next chapter. Time to parent now though.

Lorri Moulton

« Reply #1474 on: April 19, 2020, 10:27:57 AM »
Actually trying to write today.  As soon as I finish this short fairytale, I plan to start a romantic suspense novel...so this is research.  Since we got relegated to the off topics area (I think after posting the kitchen pictures) I thought I'd share this video with clips from some of my favorite movies, starring my favorite leading man...along with some wonderful co-stars.  Enjoy!

Lorri Moulton

« Reply #1475 on: April 19, 2020, 01:03:28 PM »
Edited my story so far and added 77 words.  More to do...but it's good to be writing again.  :dog1:

Lorri Moulton

« Reply #1476 on: April 21, 2020, 05:38:44 AM »
500 more words.  I think I'll try to finish another chapter this afternoon.  :smilie_zauber:

ETA:  Another 1400 words.  Time to go outside and do some gardening.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2020, 06:57:06 AM by Lorri Moulton [Lavender Lass Books] »

notthatamanda

« Reply #1477 on: April 23, 2020, 07:18:38 AM »
1458 words. Writing is definitely a mental break that I need. Going to try to keep going. Two day streak coming up.

The following users thanked this post: Lorri Moulton, Maggie Ann

notthatamanda

« Reply #1478 on: April 24, 2020, 05:12:05 AM »
968 words. Two day streak achieved. Now that we know school is cancelled for the rest of the year, things seem settled somehow. We are all spending part of the day doing our own work, including me.

I did a ton of research for this book ahead of time but I googled 1945 us meat shortages to double check and I got way different results than I used to, even with the 1945.

Lorri Moulton

« Reply #1479 on: April 24, 2020, 10:41:12 AM »
My grandmother used to tell us stories about using red points, etc.  Have fun writing!   :smilie_zauber:

notthatamanda

« Reply #1480 on: April 25, 2020, 03:34:42 AM »
758 words. I am definitely out of shape in terms of concentration and hand strength. But three days in a row and I intend to work on the weekend too.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #1481 on: April 25, 2020, 06:30:52 AM »
Worked up the courage to try a little dictation. I did better than I thought I would. I used Word's dictate function. It was better then typing one letter at a time on the keyboard and then getting it wrong half the time. I'll use Dragon next time.

104 words. They were not very good words and a lot of typos, but it's a start.

Hope to get book two ready for publishing by Sunday.

Lorri Moulton

« Reply #1482 on: April 25, 2020, 06:35:41 AM »
Worked up the courage to try a little dictation. I did better than I thought I would. I used Word's dictate function. It was better then typing one letter at a time on the keyboard and then getting it wrong half the time. I'll use Dragon next time.

Well done, Maggie Ann!  :dog1:

notthatamanda

« Reply #1483 on: April 25, 2020, 08:34:02 AM »

Good luck with the new book Maggie.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #1484 on: April 25, 2020, 09:40:03 AM »
Thanks, guys.  :dog1:

notthatamanda

« Reply #1485 on: April 26, 2020, 10:40:26 PM »
Day 1 of my new streak. 1470 words. Really excited for what I have coming up for my characters.

notthatamanda

« Reply #1486 on: April 28, 2020, 12:57:51 AM »
621 Words. Day 2 of new streak. I have the whole next chapter planned in my head, hope to get it done today.

Lorri Moulton

« Reply #1487 on: April 28, 2020, 05:15:50 AM »
Approximately 2,000 words this weekend!  I'm getting close to the end of the story.

Also made a few new covers.  :smilie_zauber:

notthatamanda

« Reply #1488 on: April 28, 2020, 05:24:31 AM »
Approximately 2,000 words this weekend!  I'm getting close to the end of the story.

Also made a few new covers.  :smilie_zauber:

Wow awesome. You are my inspiration by the way, but right now I'm going for a walk. It's forty and raining but I don't care. May write more when I get back.

notthatamanda

« Reply #1489 on: April 29, 2020, 01:48:42 AM »
3 days in a row - 1322 words.

notthatamanda

« Reply #1490 on: April 30, 2020, 01:04:28 AM »
4th day - 1454 words. Me and the little one worked together out on the deck. I love writing outside. It was still a little cool, almost 60F, but just gorgeous.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #1491 on: April 30, 2020, 12:08:40 PM »
Can't claim any words, but I did finish formatting a book I had completed before I got sick and I published it.

notthatamanda

« Reply #1492 on: April 30, 2020, 09:34:54 PM »
Can't claim any words, but I did finish formatting a book I had completed before I got sick and I published it.
Congratulations and good luck.

Lorri Moulton

« Reply #1493 on: May 01, 2020, 01:38:19 AM »
Congrats, Maggie Ann!  :cheers

And nice writing streak, Amanda.  :dog1:

notthatamanda

« Reply #1494 on: May 01, 2020, 04:39:55 AM »
Thanks Lorri - Day 5 1186 words.   :dance:

notthatamanda

« Reply #1495 on: May 05, 2020, 12:44:20 AM »
New week, new streak - 708 words. Beautiful out so I am going to write some more, in the hammock.

Edit - added another 907 words, and I have the whole next chapter planned out in my head!
« Last Edit: May 05, 2020, 04:52:37 AM by notthatamanda »

Lorri Moulton

« Reply #1496 on: May 05, 2020, 08:03:28 AM »
Well done, Amanda!  :smilie_zauber:

Maggie Ann

« Reply #1497 on: May 05, 2020, 12:11:19 PM »
 :clap: Amanda

notthatamanda

« Reply #1498 on: May 05, 2020, 12:18:32 PM »
Oh thank you guys. This thread is keeping me accountable. I feel so much better when I am productive, but getting sitting down and doing it, ugh. I don't know why I self sabotage.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #1499 on: May 05, 2020, 10:57:00 PM »
I want to continue on with my dictating, but I have to reread the 35 pages I wrote in January. So I printed them out but my printer didn't print them because I was out of ink. Good old Amazon. One day delivery. I'll get the ink tomorrow. Then I can print it and read it out loud as part of my speech therapy. Two birds with one stone but I would never throw a stone at a bird or any other animal.  :dog1: