Service Providers > Editors & Proofreaders [Public]

30% off developmental and beta reading for new clients.

(1/8) > >>

Dustin Porta:
I have openings this summer!
I'm offering 30% off the first book for any new clients.

-Rates- updated May 2023

Developmental Edit: $10 per 1,000 words

This is a single pass developmental edit with quick turnaround and a focus on the needs of indie authors.

Includes some line edits, feedback on the plot and characters, comments throughout your manuscript regarding pacing, plotholes, theme and story arcs. Also includes an editorial letter 4-15 pages depending on how much high-level feedback is needed afterwards. Average read is 5-14 days.

Developmental Beta Reading $4 per 1000 words
I will find what is and is not working with plot, character, and setting. Includes comments with every chapter and a short editorial letter and at the end. $60 minimum

How I work:

I understand that indie authors are on a tight schedule need to produce.

As an indie editor, that means if something isn't working, we don't scrap the chapter, we fix it efficiently. That means understanding how theme, setting, and character arcs work together and making small changers to get it right.

I'm big on actionable critique. I don't tell you that something is bad, I figure out why it isn't working and show you where to fix it.

The formula changes depending on the book. The focus always, is getting a finished book out the door.

I get really into my authors' books. I follow their releases and cheer them on. Need help with covers and publishing? I might be able to point you in the right direction.

---

About Me
I've been editing for well over a decade, full-time for seven years now.

My website is a tad out of date but there is a contact form on there where you can reach me. dustinporta.com/editing

---

Basic Services: OPEN
I reopen these when I have gaps to fill in the schedule.

Developmental Beta Reading $4 per 1000 words
I will find what is and is not working with plot, character, and setting. Includes comments with every chapter and a short editorial letter and at the end. $60 minimum

vale:
My review from the old place, which I still stand by. Feel free to reach out to me if you have any questions. I don't mind talking about my experience with Dustin.
------

I just wanted to take a moment to chime in. When Dustin was offering a few limited slots for beta reads I happened to get the slot and he went through one of my books.  My experiences were all positive. The turn around time was reasonable, even fast. I've had a few others look through the book, and he found their problems and more. What's more, his input made it easy to fix the problems. Sometimes with a beta reader (especially a friend/family/pet cat), while they know they have a problem, they aren't sure exactly where the problem started and why they feel the way they do. So even where Dustin found problems I was aware of, it was much easier to fix them.

And he found a lot of problems other people hadn't found, but which resonated with me. They were things I wanted to fix. He even had useful cover input.

I went into this wondering about the experience and how useful it would be. Curiosity was enough for me to put my hat into the ring to see what his beta reads were like, and I was convinced of the value. I plan to use him for the second book in the series and look forward to what he has to say. My spouse/friends/cat are enough to get my book to a good place, and Dustin's beta read is enough to get the story to where I want it for publication.

If anyone has any questions about my experience with Dustin, feel free to reach out to me.

Dustin Porta:
Thanks Vale! :catrun
Cut and paste is all I've had time to do as well. Too busy this week to contribute to the new board, but still excited to lurk someplace new.

Dustin Porta:
I've had a slot open up next month. Anyone with a last minute project?

Dustin Porta:
Took a break from the editing to go to Necronomicon science fiction and horror conference in Tampa.

Anyone who hasn't been to a conference, I highly recommend them. The panels e are fun, though you can learn just as much watching youtube for a weekend. More important is the perspective you get.

It's amazing how many people have never considered self publishing. I would say nine out of ten writers I talk to at conferences are going the traditional route. People say we're not in the kindle gold rush days anymore, but I still think indie publishing is in its early stages. And I for one am glad to get my foot in the door before the rest of these authors start to self-publish.

None of this really relates to my editing thread except to serve as a reminder that we should all be constantly improving our work and refining our process.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version