Author Topic: B&N 1099 silliness  (Read 3733 times)

LilyBLily

B&N 1099 silliness
« on: December 05, 2018, 06:48:18 AM »
B&N sent an email wanting me to sign up for digital delivery of my 1099s. Fine so far; I'm okay with that. But when trying to do it, the B&N site sent me to another company (a "partner") that wanted me to use a password it would send me to sign in. So I did. Then it asked me to create a new password, anyway.

B&N is tragically obtuse. Just make it simple, okay? We already do business together. No new passwords, no new accounts with random companies I've never heard of before. "Click here for digital delivery of tax forms" should be all I have to do.   

David VanDyke

• Long Novel unlocked
  • Full-time hybrid author and curmudgeon
    • David VanDyke's Author Website
Re: B&N 1099 silliness
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2018, 04:41:05 PM »
I had the same trouble, so I just ignored it. They can continue to snailmail me my documents.
Never listen to people with no skin in the game.

I'm a lucky guy. I find the harder I work, the luckier I am.

Those who prefer their English sloppy have only themselves to thank if the advertisement writer uses his mastery of the vocabulary and syntax to mislead their weak minds.

~ Dorothy L. Sayers

Joseph Malik

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2018, 01:44:48 PM »
B&N's head is so far up its ass it could chew its own eyeballs out.

ETA: I LIKE B&N. They make me a lot of money. But holy sh*t, do they make me earn it.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2018, 01:47:05 PM by Joseph Malik »

EllieL

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2018, 01:53:52 AM »

ETA: I LIKE B&N. They make me a lot of money. But holy sh*t, do they make me earn it.
    :clap:

What he said.
Historical and contemporary romance

Signature Tool Alpha Test

Joseph Malik

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2018, 01:51:54 AM »
Barnes and Noble still does one thing that Amazon doesn't--can't.

B&N makes you feel like an author.

Signings, author events, walking into stores and seeing your book on the shelf ("Joseph Malik" goes right next to "George RR Martin" in the SF/F section, come on, how cool is that?), and if you work with a distributor, you not only have to do very little actual work, you also receive physical checks in the mail. It's all that writer sh*t; those visions of sugarplums you had while nodding off during third-year theory.

It's not all handjobs and champagne; you have to put up with a lot of irritation, and the ends are both superficial and vainglorious. The only way to stay sane is to not delude yourself about what you're putting into the relationship versus what you're getting out of it. Have you ever dated a stripper? That's this.

Uploading a file to Amazon, while less work and a far better bottom line, is infinitely less satisfying and doesn't look nearly as cool on your arm.

The following users thanked this post: EllieL, Captain Cranky, Jeff Tanyard

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2018, 12:16:53 PM »
As always, Joe, you make salient points and have a colorful way with the English language.   :icon_mrgreen:
v  v  v  v  v    Short Stories    v  v  v  v  v    vv FREE! vv

Genres: Science Fiction, Fantasy (some day) | Author Website

The following users thanked this post: Joseph Malik

notthatamanda

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2018, 04:03:08 AM »
I could never get B&N to give me an account.  Tried for months.  Gave up and just use D2D for them.  I continue to not be unhappy about that.

And no I've never dated a stripper, but I will file that info for future reference, if ever the occasion should arise.

Joseph Malik

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2019, 07:21:12 AM »
Just got off the phone with a B&N store in a small town where I'll be a panelist at a fantasy convention next month. The events manager sounded actually glad to hear from me; they're setting up some stuff for the con and they're looking for authors to feature.

As I said above, I get to go do author sh*t. For all the PITA of dealing with their site, and their system, and the sporadic kick in the balls of the returns, there are some major high points to working with them. Doing a B&N appearance in a small town, especially on a con weekend, makes you feel like a rock star.

Tafkal

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2019, 07:33:50 AM »
I keep an Excel file of logins, passwords, etc. In the "Other" box of the section relating to the B&N 1099 it says "Could not be arsed to finish registration." They can feel free to keep chiselling the info into stone tablets and having it delivered to me by chariot.

notthatamanda

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2019, 09:21:43 AM »
Just got off the phone with a B&N store in a small town where I'll be a panelist at a fantasy convention next month. The events manager sounded actually glad to hear from me; they're setting up some stuff for the con and they're looking for authors to feature.

As I said above, I get to go do author sh*t. For all the PITA of dealing with their site, and their system, and the sporadic kick in the balls of the returns, there are some major high points to working with them. Doing a B&N appearance in a small town, especially on a con weekend, makes you feel like a rock star.

Congratulations.  Have fun.

The following users thanked this post: Joseph Malik

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2019, 11:08:03 AM »

Good luck, and I hope you enjoy it.   :cheers

Will there be video of the panel?  If so, post up a YouTube link when it's available.  I'd like to see it.
v  v  v  v  v    Short Stories    v  v  v  v  v    vv FREE! vv

Genres: Science Fiction, Fantasy (some day) | Author Website

catowned

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2019, 12:51:40 PM »

Nicely done!  Grin

Like JeffTanyard said, if there's a video, post a link. I'd like to see it.

ragdoll

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2019, 04:49:01 PM »
I had the same trouble, so I just ignored it. They can continue to snailmail me my documents.

On Safari, Chrome and Firefox, I filled in all the contact info then put in the captcha number, checked the box and hit enter and it just resets the captcha number.

My concern is that since I tried to set up the email 1099 that B&N won't send me a 1099 at all. (Unlike the year they sent me 3 with different numbers each time).

EllieL

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2019, 05:33:10 AM »

On Safari, Chrome and Firefox, I filled in all the contact info then put in the captcha number, checked the box and hit enter and it just resets the captcha number.

My concern is that since I tried to set up the email 1099 that B&N won't send me a 1099 at all. (Unlike the year they sent me 3 with different numbers each time).

Just go back and opt out. That's what I did when I tried, but then at the end, found out that because I'm not in the US I can't use the service.
Historical and contemporary romance

Signature Tool Alpha Test

The following users thanked this post: Joseph Malik, ragdoll

ragdoll

« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2019, 11:02:18 AM »
Thank you, Ellie. I didn't think to go and look if that was an option.

Joseph Malik

« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2019, 12:12:42 PM »
Nicely done!  Grin

Like JeffTanyard said, if there's a video, post a link. I'd like to see it.

I'm going to be on several panels at this one. If someone's videoing any of them, I'll definitely post links.

I'll be appearing at Emerald City Comic Con in March, moderating a panel on "Pacific Northwest Indie Author Success Stories," and that one will definitely be recorded.

notthatamanda

« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2019, 08:24:12 AM »
B&N Silliness (ignoring the 1099 part, sorry)

I just got an email out of the blue saying my vendor account should be approved in 72 hours.  I asked for help in...May?
I'm not going back to check, but it I was fully wide by mid June, so it was definitely before then.
I'm not sure which emoji is appropriate here.

ragdoll

« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2019, 01:21:45 AM »
Has anyone received their paper 1099 from Nook yet?

Has anyone who toggled the electronic 1099 option, couldn't get the site to work, then toggled it back off, received their paper 1099 from Nook yet?

LilyBLily

« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2019, 10:13:55 AM »
Yes. I never bothered to click anything to back out, either.

The following users thanked this post: ragdoll