Author Topic: Warm and Fuzzies when you beat out a paperback classic with your new release.  (Read 1149 times)

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
  • Earth Galaxy core, 2618
    • The Hunter Imperium Universe
This happened today in the UK chart.

My humble ebook new release beat out Brave New World in paperback for a number 1 slot.

Nice to know us Indies can beat out the old classics now and again.

Indie job satisfaction in action.

Warm and Fuzzies!

:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:
 :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:
 :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

:banana-riding-llama-smiley-em :banana-riding-llama-smiley-em :banana-riding-llama-smiley-em :banana-riding-llama-smiley-em :banana-riding-llama-smiley-em :banana-riding-llama-smiley-em
Genres: Space Opera/Fantasy/Cyberpunk, with elements of LitRPG and GameLit, with a touch of the Supernatural. Also Spiritual and Games.

Timothy Ellis Kindle Author page. | Join the Hunter Legacy mailing list | The Hunter Imperium Universe on Facebook. | Forum Promo Page.

The following users thanked this post: sliderule, djmills

idontknowyet

congrats!!!!! :banana-riding-llama-smiley-em

The following users thanked this post: TimothyEllis

Vijaya

Wow!!! That's wonderful!!! Enjoy and congratulations  :banana: :dance: :banana:

Author of over 100 books and magazine pieces, primarily for children
Vijaya Bodach | Personal Blog | Bodach Books

cecilia_writer

Well done!  That's great!
Cecilia Peartree - Woman of Mystery

sliderule

:Tup2:

Bill Hiatt

• Trilogy unlocked
  • Tickling the imagination one book at a time
    • Bill Hiatt's Author Website
This just shows what determination can do!

Aside from the tiny number of people that achieve massive success with their first book, I've always thought the indies most likely to succeed were then ones who stuck with it. Sadly, many of the authors I knew when I first started have more or less disappeared. Their books are generally still up, but they have fallen silent in their groups and forums, and they haven't published in a few years. Sometimes, life changes made continuing impossible, but for at least some of them, I think they gave up.

Timothy's experience is, among other things, an object lesson about the benefits of persistence.

Tickling the imagination one book at a time
Bill Hiatt | fiction website | education website | Facebook author page | Twitter

The following users thanked this post: djmills

LilyBLily

:clap:

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
Timothy's experience is, among other things, an object lesson about the benefits of persistence.

Grin

My income has certainly gone down this year. But writing is what I do, and I'm planning 4 books ahead at the moment. So even if income totally tanked (cancel clear delete), I'd still be writing and releasing on the same schedule. In fact, I've been speeding up a bit. Now averaging 35 days apart, and this one was quicker than that.

No traction in the US store at all these days. But still getting these surprises in the UK store.  :littleclap
Genres: Space Opera/Fantasy/Cyberpunk, with elements of LitRPG and GameLit, with a touch of the Supernatural. Also Spiritual and Games.

Timothy Ellis Kindle Author page. | Join the Hunter Legacy mailing list | The Hunter Imperium Universe on Facebook. | Forum Promo Page.

Bill Hiatt

• Trilogy unlocked

Grin

My income has certainly gone down this year. But writing is what I do, and I'm planning 4 books ahead at the moment. So even if income totally tanked (cancel clear delete), I'd still be writing and releasing on the same schedule. In fact, I've been speeding up a bit. Now averaging 35 days apart, and this one was quicker than that.

No traction in the US store at all these days. But still getting these surprises in the UK store.  :littleclap

35 days apart! That's something else that's impressive. I couldn't manage that, though I think I write longer books than you do. But even adjusting for that, no, I'm just not there yet.

The US store is pretty much the only one where I get traction. Interestingly, my #2 is typically Australia, though it used to be UK. But the vast majority of my activity is in the US.

Bill Hiatt | fiction website | education website | Facebook author page | Twitter

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
The US store is pretty much the only one where I get traction. Interestingly, my #2 is typically Australia, though it used to be UK. But the vast majority of my activity is in the US.

Mine too. UK second. Aus is third. But Aus is less than 5%.

But while I get the odd #1s from UK and Aus, I've not had a sniff of a #1 in the US all year. In fact, I think it's well over a year now. It's getting much harder to get there now.

What I find amazing though is, I got #10 in Space Opera in the US, and nothing higher than 9 in any other category. That's just bizarre! Normally I'd be getting #1 in Metaphysical, which this book wasn't even put into it seems, but be lucky to crack top 50 in Space Opera.

Whatever is going on in the US ranking system is having some strange effects. And yet, the UK seems unaffected.

As for my release speed, I guess I'm averaging about 2000 words a day at the moment, and hitting around the 65-70k mark for each book. Not overly fast by the standards of some.

Bill Hiatt

• Trilogy unlocked

Mine too. UK second. Aus is third. But Aus is less than 5%.

But while I get the odd #1s from UK and Aus, I've not had a sniff of a #1 in the US all year. In fact, I think it's well over a year now. It's getting much harder to get there now.

What I find amazing though is, I got #10 in Space Opera in the US, and nothing higher than 9 in any other category. That's just bizarre! Normally I'd be getting #1 in Metaphysical, which this book wasn't even put into it seems, but be lucky to crack top 50 in Space Opera.

Whatever is going on in the US ranking system is having some strange effects. And yet, the UK seems unaffected.

As for my release speed, I guess I'm averaging about 2000 words a day at the moment, and hitting around the 65-70k mark for each book. Not overly fast by the standards of some.
The US population is certainly bigger. That doesn't mean that there are necessarily more self published authors. We don't have any accurate statistics on that. But I would assume the US has more, which might be a reason it's hard to get rankings in the US store in general. (This also assumes that US authors will do better in the US market, which isn't always true by any means. It would be so nice to have real statistics on some of these things.)

It has definitely become harder over time. I have hit #1 on some subgenres more than once, but not since about 2016 or 2017. The same number of sales that used to do it doesn't even come close. What little info I have suggests that new books are pouring in at a much higher rate.

Interestingly, it sounds as if we do roughly the same number of words per day. (I go for six pages, the "Stephen King" standard, which the way my drafts are laid, comes to about 1,900). But perhaps I have more days during which I don't make my goal for one reason or another. My current WIP looks as if it will hit around 170,000 words, which is actually shorter than my norm. That would suggest I should be cranking out a book once every 90-100 days if I'm working at the same pace as you, but that isn't what's happening.

By the way, my editor's turnaround is usually greater than the 35 days you have been books, which is also a factor. If I were writing shorter books, he would also be processing them faster. (My cover designer, meanwhile, has about a five-month backlog. I reserve when I'm about halfway through my first draft.)

Speaking of drafts, maybe you're a faster reviser than I am. It can take me quite a while.

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
My current WIP looks as if it will hit around 170,000 words, which is actually shorter than my norm. That would suggest I should be cranking out a book once every 90-100 days if I'm working at the same pace as you, but that isn't what's happening.

Speaking of drafts, maybe you're a faster reviser than I am. It can take me quite a while.

170k I'd be writing as a trilogy. More money in it for a start. 3 x 4.99 instead of 4.99. Also gets it out faster, and keeps fans happy while the rest is written.

Mine don't really care on length, as long as they keep coming regularly. Some prefer longer, but they;d still rather keep getting them regularly than wait for a longer book.

And the trilogy keeps the momentum going longer than a single book with a long lag to the next does.

I don't draft.

I edit the last session first, then go straight on writing. At the end of the book I do a single full edit, then start proofreading. The edit takes 2 days usually, and the edit/proof period is about 10 days, although sometimes done in 1. I use a fan as a proofreader who finds all the goofs I miss.

During the 10 days plus 3 in lockdown for the pre-order, I'm writing the next book. I lose a couple of writing sessions to editing and proofing, but by the time the book releases, I'm 20k into the next one.

I taught myself to edit and proofread, although I still have a few blind spots. I also taught myself how to do my own covers. These days the covers and blurbs come first. So my only time blockage is my proofreader, and being a fan, she wants to read the book as soon as she can.

Bill Hiatt

• Trilogy unlocked
It sounds as if you have a good system in place that works well for you.

I suppose part of my problem is that I'm not always sure how long a book will be when I start out. The first book that ran longer than I expected (the fourth book in my first series) could easily have been at least two books in terms of length, but there wasn't a neat place to split it that wouldn't have resulted in a cliffhanger. I know some readers are very intolerant of cliffhangers. I've been criticized on books that had full story arcs but did leave a problem unresolved (starting point for the next book). I've even had people screaming about that. And as a reader, I've been irked when a book didn't have a full arc but essentially cut off mid-story.

All of that said, I'm working on a series idea that would lend itself to short books. We'll see how that goes.

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
The first book that ran longer than I expected (the fourth book in my first series) could easily have been at least two books in terms of length, but there wasn't a neat place to split it that wouldn't have resulted in a cliffhanger. I know some readers are very intolerant of cliffhangers. I've been criticized on books that had full story arcs but did leave a problem unresolved (starting point for the next book). I've even had people screaming about that. And as a reader, I've been irked when a book didn't have a full arc but essentially cut off mid-story.

I've only done that once, but I did it twice then. Book 3 became books 3, 4, and 5. Cliffhangers on both of them. A lot of people were not happy, but a year after I finished the series, no-one cared.

The thing about it is, if you rapid release them, and the pre-orders are up there and visible, people will tolerate a cliffhanger.

It's when the time lags between them get past 3 months, and out to a year, that people really hate them.

Trad cliffhangers were always a total pain, given a 1 year wait for the next one.

But a 1 month wait, most people can do, since that's what they expect now from a lot of Indie Authors.

If you can match the expectation people will accept, you should be fine.

The following users thanked this post: Bill Hiatt