Author Topic: Note-taking app: UpNote  (Read 250 times)

Anarchist

Note-taking app: UpNote
« on: January 11, 2024, 02:56:38 AM »
I keep a lot of notes for my books. Notes related to development, marketing, advertising, and various details (Pretty Links, cover changes, blurbs for promos, copyright issues, etc.).

For the past few weeks, I've been looking for an Evernote alternative. I've used Evernote for years, but it sh*t the bed awhile back and is no longer a good option (for me).

I've investigated several alternatives, including Notion, Joplin, Obsidian, Clickup, Bear, Roam, and even Google Keep. Some are good, but too complicated (Notion). Some deftly support note-taking approaches that I don't use (Workflowy).

Finally, I found one that's a good match for me: UpNote.

Here's a screenshot so you can see what it looks like...

It acts like Evernote with less bloat and more intuition.

UpNote isn't free. (There is a free version, but it's severely limited.) For the full enchilada, you can choose to pay a monthly fee ($1) or pay a one-time fee ($30) for lifetime use.

There's no web version. You download it to your rig. But it syncs well across platforms (I have it on my Macbook and my Android phone).

If you're interested, here are a few resources to learn more:

The main site: https://getupnote.com/

A Youtube playlist that covers many of UpNote's features:

* To see the playlist, visit the Youtube channel, filter by playlists, and select the one titled "Being Effective with UpNote."

Reddit sub: https://www.reddit.com/r/UpNote_App/

That's it. Thanks for coming to my TED talk.

« Last Edit: January 11, 2024, 03:00:28 AM by Anarchist »
"The first lesson of economics is scarcity: there is never enough of anything to fully satisfy all those who want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics.” – Thomas Sowell

"The State is an institution run by gangs of murderers, plunderers and thieves, surrounded by willing executioners, propagandists, sycophants, crooks, liars, clowns, charlatans, dupes and useful idiots—an institution that dirties and taints everything it touches.” - Hans Hoppe

"Virtue is more to be feared than vice, because its excesses are not subject to the regulation of conscience." - Adam Smith

Nothing that requires the labor of others is a basic human right.

I keep a stiff upper lip and shoot from the hip. - AC/DC

The following users thanked this post: Eddie Hicks, VikingRaider

PJ Post

Re: Note-taking app: UpNote
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2024, 10:20:45 AM »
Does a freehand note taking tablet such as the Remarkable 2 work for you? I've been thinking about getting one.

The following users thanked this post: Anarchist, VikingRaider

Anarchist

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2024, 10:34:25 AM »
Does a freehand note taking tablet such as the Remarkable 2 work for you? I've been thinking about getting one.

Evernote has a similar feature, and I never used it. My brain doesn't seem to work that way.

Kinda like mind mapping. I can do it, but it's a struggle.
"The first lesson of economics is scarcity: there is never enough of anything to fully satisfy all those who want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics.” – Thomas Sowell

"The State is an institution run by gangs of murderers, plunderers and thieves, surrounded by willing executioners, propagandists, sycophants, crooks, liars, clowns, charlatans, dupes and useful idiots—an institution that dirties and taints everything it touches.” - Hans Hoppe

"Virtue is more to be feared than vice, because its excesses are not subject to the regulation of conscience." - Adam Smith

The following users thanked this post: Post-Crisis D, VikingRaider

Matthew

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2024, 11:21:10 AM »
I had to give up Evernote years ago. It became more clunky and the price just went up and up. Thanks for sharing, this program looks nice with an affordable price. Hard to justify for myself personally since I already pay for Office, I've been using OneNote.

The following users thanked this post: Anarchist

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2024, 11:29:31 AM »
Kinda like mind mapping. I can do it, but it's a struggle.

I wouldn't call it a struggle but, for me, I would call it a complete waste of time.  I knew several proponents of it years ago and, back then, I downloaded a mind mapping app on my iPad.  I think I made two mind maps.  And, I look at them and I'm like, what's the point?  I could have accomplished the same thing with a text file and an outline.

I mean, sure, you can connect different ideas and notes and whatnot, but so?  You end up with something that looks like the wall of an investigator trying to identify and track down a serial killer.  Maybe if I was hunting down serial killers, mind maps would be the bee's knees.  But, I write books and I know where the serial killer lives, so I don't need all that extra stuff.
Mulder: "If you're distracted by fear of those around you, it keeps you from seeing the actions of those above."
The X-Files: "Blood"

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2024, 12:29:37 PM »
I'm looking forward to seeing the photos from Anarchist's Nepal trip.   :icon_mrgreen:
v  v  v  v  v    Short Stories    v  v  v  v  v    vv FREE! vv

Genres: Science Fiction, Fantasy (some day) | Author Website

Anarchist

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2024, 04:06:54 AM »
I'm looking forward to seeing the photos from Anarchist's Nepal trip.   :icon_mrgreen:

I saved 'em for my OnlyFans account.

The following users thanked this post: Jeff Tanyard

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2024, 11:50:31 AM »

I saved 'em for my OnlyFans account.

:icon_rofl:
v  v  v  v  v    Short Stories    v  v  v  v  v    vv FREE! vv

Genres: Science Fiction, Fantasy (some day) | Author Website