Author Topic: Novlr Software  (Read 160 times)

Matthew

Novlr Software
« on: March 23, 2024, 03:54:18 AM »
I think I've been under a rock. I've known of Novlr (novlr.org) for years now, but it looks like last year they went fully writer-owned. I'm not sure what all the legal technicalities are with selling "co-ownership," but since I last checked them out there are a few interesting things: 1) Looks like you can now have a free account and write without paying a subscription. 2) The subscription went down in price, unless I'm horribly misremembering. 3) There's now an option to purchase a lifetime membership.

I'm wondering if any of you have used or are using this. I've only ever signed up for a trial once before. It has a similar feel to Atticus, though it's obviously much more focused on the writing side. It has some basic organizational features like Scrivener with document nesting, chapter synopses, and a dedicated section for notes.

Cross-computer access has been absolutely miserable for me with Scrivener, though I otherwise love it. (Corrupt projects, fonts messing up between Windows/Mac, sync failures) This might be an interesting intermediary given it's cloud software.

I've been mostly sticking with Word for writing for a few years now (especially since Microsoft 365 automatically syncs across devices), but I might draft my next novel in this software and export to Word for editing.

Twolane

Re: Novlr Software
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2024, 10:03:18 PM »
Subscription-based. Of course it is. Pay forever with one's firstborn. Complete with cloud storage and backup. I think most of us know so well how that works.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2024, 10:07:05 PM by Twolane »

R. C.

• Epic Novel unlocked
  • "Sooner barbarity than boredom." - T. Gautier
    • R C Ducantlin - Writer of Stories
Re: Novlr Software
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2024, 11:16:01 PM »
I've been mostly sticking with Word for writing for a few years now (especially since Microsoft 365 automatically syncs across devices), but I might draft my next novel in this software and export to Word for editing.

This cannot be understated. Using my local HDD AND OneDrive for backup has saved me. A couple of years ago my account got out of sync, something I did I am sure, and I lost a 65k word manuscript. Gone. Lost. Nowhere to be found.

After a search of "How to recover lost OneDrive files," it turnes out, OneDrive backs-up daily and older versions of files can be retreived. I remember it was a multi-step process to retreive the day-old files, but it worked.

Also, from OneDrive, cross-device sync is seamless. I write/edit using by desktop, my laptop, and even my phone. Editing on a phone is a PIA.

R.C.