Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 64521 times)

elleoco

Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #150 on: January 07, 2019, 09:32:31 AM »
I like Josephine Tey, too. 'Brat Farrar', 'The Franchise Affair' and 'The Daughter of Time' are my favorites. Oh, and 'Miss Pym Disposes'. Forgot that one.

Not all of Tey are favorites of mine, but Brat Farrar is. I'm generally too cheap to replace anything I have in paper with the ebook version, but I did with that one because my paperback copy was held together with a rubber band around it.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #151 on: January 07, 2019, 12:29:20 PM »
I like Josephine Tey, too. 'Brat Farrar', 'The Franchise Affair' and 'The Daughter of Time' are my favorites. Oh, and 'Miss Pym Disposes'. Forgot that one.

Not all of Tey are favorites of mine, but Brat Farrar is. I'm generally too cheap to replace anything I have in paper with the ebook version, but I did with that one because my paperback copy was held together with a rubber band around it.

I had pretty much the same problem with all my Agatha Christie and Rex Stout. I didn't know about Tey until maybe 15 years ago so her PBs were a lot newer.

RobertLCollins

• Short Story unlocked
  • I write science fiction & fantasy
    • One Kansas Author
« Reply #152 on: January 13, 2019, 05:07:11 AM »
Yesterday I finished The Forgotten Beasts of Eld. I quite enjoyed it. It was lyrical and well-written, and I was caught up with the heroine and the story. I'm happy I finally got to this book.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #153 on: January 13, 2019, 05:59:59 AM »
Stanley Bentworth Mysteries (books 1-3) by our own Al Stevens. I'm only on the first one but I'm enjoying the characters in particular. $2.99 for three books.

The Palace Job by Patrick Weekes. I reading that one on my phone and I don't get to read on my phone very often so it will take me a while to finish.

Diabetics Behaving Badly also by Al Stevens. Quite an eye opener. I'm going to be recommending that to my neighbor who has let himself get way out of control.

Listening to Northanger Abbey, Jane Austen. I don't think I realized it was done radio style with different narrators voicing each character. I find it very distracting because each new narrator changes the rhythm.

Kate Elizabeth

« Reply #154 on: January 15, 2019, 08:04:46 AM »
I finally read some Dean Koontz.  I really enjoyed Odd Thomas, so I'll have to read the rest of the series.

I've started Tracy Barrett's The Stepsister's Tale.  It seems pretty interesting.

I've got several Harlequins, which I pretty much always enjoy, on my loans list.

The following users thanked this post: diisha392

Vijaya

« Reply #155 on: January 16, 2019, 12:48:45 PM »
Kate, my son loved the Odd Thomas series.

I read a couple of self-help books: One Thing by Gary Keller and Jay Papasan and also The Pocket Guide to Action by Kyle Eschenroeder.

Author of over 100 books and magazine pieces, primarily for children
Vijaya Bodach | Personal Blog | Bodach Books

dgcasey

• Long Novel unlocked
  • Take my memories. I hope you got a big appetite.
« Reply #156 on: January 16, 2019, 06:17:46 PM »
Kate, my son loved the Odd Thomas series.

I loved them, too. And I'm one of a handful of people that actually liked the movie when it came out. R.I.P. Anton.
I will not forget one line of this, not one day. I will always remember when the Doctor was me.
"The Tales of Garlan" title="The Tales of Garlan"
"Into The Wishing Well" title="Into The Wishing Well"
Dave's Amazon Author page | DGlennCasey.com | TheDailyPainter.com
I'm the Doctor by the way, what's your name? Rose. Nice to meet you, Rose. Run for your life!

The following users thanked this post: Captain Cranky

diisha392

« Reply #157 on: January 23, 2019, 11:36:02 AM »
Maid of Murder by Amanda Flower

The author is coming in March to do a writer's workshop at my local library :)

Maggie Ann

« Reply #158 on: January 23, 2019, 12:17:42 PM »
I'm back in Ankh-Morpork with Going Postal by Terry Pratchett. It's wonderful, of course.

The following users thanked this post: The Doctor

LilyBLily

« Reply #159 on: January 23, 2019, 02:26:05 PM »
Diabetics Behaving Badly by Al Stevens--some new info there I passed on to others.
The Killing Floor by Lee Child--first in the series, and I can understand why it impressed people.
Die Trying by Lee Child--I'm filling in the holes; I started with The Affair, which is kind of an origin story.
A Man with One of Those Faces by Caimh McDonnell, billed as Thriller and Suspense on an ENT ad, and pretty fecking hilarious so far. It's a first in a series, too.

Michelle Louring

• Novella unlocked
  • The owl is pure evil. Don't let him fool you.
« Reply #160 on: January 23, 2019, 10:31:15 PM »
I'm back in Ankh-Morpork with Going Postal by Terry Pratchett. It's wonderful, of course.

I'm not in Ankh-Morpork at the moment, but I'm hanging out in the vicinity in Lancre, with Carpe Jugulum by Terry Pratchett  grint

Crazy owl lady. I also occasionally write Fantasy books, but the owl is really all anyone cares about.

https://michellelouring.com/

Maggie Ann

« Reply #161 on: January 23, 2019, 11:42:33 PM »

I'm not in Ankh-Morpork at the moment, but I'm hanging out in the vicinity in Lancre, with Carpe Jugulum by Terry Pratchett  grint

:tup3b

Tom Wood

« Reply #162 on: January 23, 2019, 11:55:26 PM »
Just started James Dashner's The Eye of Minds. Hopefully the characters will have a better time of it than they did in the Maze Runner series, but it's already not looking good for them!  :eek:

DmGuay

« Reply #163 on: January 24, 2019, 02:28:05 AM »
I'm reading the late horror author Michael McDowell's books. He is so so good. His writing is flawless and his monsters are very creative and unpredictable. He's from Alabama and the Deep South and southern family power dynamics are heavy parts of his books. He went on to write the screenplays for Nightmare Before Christmas and Beetlejuice.

I've read Blackwater (which is amazing) and The Elementals, and have just started Candles Burning, which Tabitha King finished for him after he died from AIds complications at age 49 in 1999.

D.M. Guay | Web site

Lysmata Debelius

« Reply #164 on: January 24, 2019, 02:30:21 AM »
Am reading "Under a Silent Moon" by Elizabeth Haynes. Really good so far.
I read another book by her some years ago, "Into the Darkest Corner" which is one of the tensest, slow burn, terrifying books I've read.

The following users thanked this post: DmGuay

electricsheep

« Reply #165 on: January 25, 2019, 02:07:15 AM »
Wading manfully through "A Song of Ice and Fire" these last few weeks.  Now half-way through "A Song of Swords".  It's a page-turner, I must admit.  Oh, but, bloody hell!  Why so LONG?!

electricsheep

« Reply #166 on: January 25, 2019, 02:12:50 AM »
He may or may not be a rabble-rouser; but he is a Libertarian, not an Anarchist.

Dr. Block is a rabble-rousing anarchist and takes a lot of flak for his views, even from other anarchists. Personally, I find his perspective fascinating.

Anarchist

« Reply #167 on: January 25, 2019, 04:28:08 AM »
He may or may not be a rabble-rouser; but he is a Libertarian, not an Anarchist.

Dr. Block is a rabble-rousing anarchist and takes a lot of flak for his views, even from other anarchists. Personally, I find his perspective fascinating.

Why do you believe he's not an anarchist?
"The first lesson of economics is scarcity: there is never enough of anything to fully satisfy all those who want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics.” – Thomas Sowell

"The State is an institution run by gangs of murderers, plunderers and thieves, surrounded by willing executioners, propagandists, sycophants, crooks, liars, clowns, charlatans, dupes and useful idiots—an institution that dirties and taints everything it touches.” - Hans Hoppe

"Virtue is more to be feared than vice, because its excesses are not subject to the regulation of conscience." - Adam Smith

Nothing that requires the labor of others is a basic human right.

I keep a stiff upper lip and shoot from the hip. - AC/DC

RobertLCollins

• Short Story unlocked
    • One Kansas Author
« Reply #168 on: January 26, 2019, 05:23:31 AM »
I found a couple weeks ago that I'd read "Alice's Adventures in Wonderland" years ago, and had only started "Through the Looking-Glass." I re-read the first and yesterday finished the other. I quite enjoyed reading both of them. Fun little books, and two more classics are taken care of. I'm going to pause for a bit to think about what I want to read next. It will probably be something much more recent.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #169 on: January 26, 2019, 08:15:29 AM »
Since I'm watching Outlander, I decided to read the last bits of Drums of Autumn. The current season is based on that book.

Victoria Wright

• Blurb unlocked
    • PublishingWright
« Reply #170 on: February 06, 2019, 08:55:26 AM »
I'm about 80% of the way through Adrian Tchaikovsky's SciFi novel Children of Time and pretty entertained. Definitely some lol-worthy moments in the book, curious to see how he wraps it up and what the sequel will be like when it comes out in a couple of months.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #171 on: February 06, 2019, 10:25:05 AM »
I'm reading Gray Matter by Nick Pirog. I absolutely adored his Speed of Souls which is completely different than anything else of his that I've read. I liked his 3 A.M. series but it's not something I would read again.

The Doctor

« Reply #172 on: February 06, 2019, 10:48:59 PM »
Just finished reading Equal Rites, the 3rd book in the Discworld series, by Sir Terry Pratchett (Brief review here -> https://smashingreads.wordpress.com/2019/02/06/equal-rites-terry-pratchett/.

Next up is Wyrd Sisters, the 6th book.

Genre: Weird Fiction | Science Fiction | Fantasy | Horror |
Gayle Ramage Website

Maggie Ann

« Reply #173 on: February 07, 2019, 12:21:12 AM »
Just finished reading Equal Rites, the 3rd book in the Discworld series, by Sir Terry Pratchett (Brief review here -> https://smashingreads.wordpress.com/2019/02/06/equal-rites-terry-pratchett/.

I think it would take a lifetime to read all of the Discworld books. As soon as I finish my current audio, I'll be listening to Guards! Guards! again.

The Doctor

« Reply #174 on: February 07, 2019, 07:57:58 AM »

I think it would take a lifetime to read all of the Discworld books. As soon as I finish my current audio, I'll be listening to Guards! Guards! again.

The Night Watch characters are my favourite ones from the series. Love the books set in Ankh Morpork, too. Can't wait for the Night Watch series to eventually hit our screens!

Gayle Ramage Website

Edward M. Grant

« Reply #175 on: February 22, 2019, 04:15:43 AM »
Flood Tide by Cussler. Not his best, not his worst. I think I bought it because it was $1.99 on iTunes a while back when I felt the need to read a thriller, but I may be confusing it with another of his books.

Has an interesting crossover with his Oregon stories, but I'm not sure quite where it fits in time-wise relative to those books; I think I only ever read one of them.

Kate Elizabeth

« Reply #176 on: February 22, 2019, 08:58:47 AM »
I just finished Mary Balogh's Someone to Care, about a couple in their forties.  Very good.  I'm currently enjoying Dean Koontz's Forever Odd.  Because of the second one, I've learned that azaleas are poisonous.  You learn something new every supernatural mystery.

Vijaya

« Reply #177 on: February 22, 2019, 01:32:27 PM »
Really enjoying an old classic: Nectar in a Sieve by Kamala Markandaya. Beautiful writing, filled with details of rural life in India, at a time when industry was encroaching upon villagers.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #178 on: February 23, 2019, 12:31:28 AM »
I picked up a collection of women sleuth mysteries and finished the first book, Louisiana Bigshot by Julie Smith. (the second book is vampires and I’m skipping that) The main is a young, black detective in New Orleans who is also a poet known as Baroness dePontalba. She’s taken a shortened version of the Baroness' name as her own so she’s Talba Wallis.

Really good mystery, good characters and I only have two gripes. Yes, I know it’s hot in the Big Easy in the summer, but do I have to be told every time someone sweats and where they are sweating? Forehead, waist, back, chest, palms and I don’t want to know where else.

The second is a personal gripe. Poetry puts me to sleep. Even two or three lines and my eyelids start to droop. And the Baroness does not write short poems. I’m sure most people would enjoy the poetry or at least not fall asleep over it, but not me. I had to skip it.

Ironically, I’m reading a book based on the life of the daughter of George Gordon Lord Byron. Enchantress of Numbers by Jennifer Chiaverini. “Ada Byron King, Countess of Lovelace—Lord Byron’s daughter and the world’s first computer programmer” Intriguing, right?

But of course, her father was a famed poet and is to this day “she walks in beauty like the night.” See? I’m not a complete poetry Phillistine. So at least in the beginning there is poetry scattered throughout. Her mother wrote poetry, too. At this point, it’s so far so good and I will continue reading, skipping over the rhyming parts.

spin52

« Reply #179 on: February 25, 2019, 05:01:28 AM »

Night Watch and being a former journalist, The Truth. I'm sure we had some dwarfs in the back shop of the papers I worked on.

Traditional mysteries with a dash of humor -- no cats, no cupcakes, no covens.

munboy

« Reply #180 on: February 25, 2019, 09:38:31 AM »
Ghost Talkers by Mary Robinette Kowal
and
Coraline by Neil Gaiman

RobertLCollins

• Short Story unlocked
    • One Kansas Author
« Reply #181 on: February 26, 2019, 07:19:57 AM »
Yesterday I finished The Calculating Stars by Mary Robinette Kowal. It was entertaining but also had important things to say about prejudice and mental illness. I'd like to start on the follow-up novel, but as a third is due later this year, I'll wait to get at both then. For now I want to read another book on wish list. Just not sure what that book will be...

elleoco

« Reply #182 on: March 07, 2019, 11:41:37 AM »
I just finished Girls on the Line by Aimie K. Runyon. It's the story of a socialite who volunteers for and serves in the U.S. Army Signal Corps in WWI. The whole setting is an intriguing bit of history I knew nothing about, and it was a keep-me-up-late-reading-to-the-end book for me.

YouMeWe

« Reply #183 on: March 08, 2019, 12:11:09 AM »
The War of Art by Steven Pressfield.
Pleez scoose n e errers, eyes lerrnin diktashun.

RobertLCollins

• Short Story unlocked
    • One Kansas Author
« Reply #184 on: March 26, 2019, 11:39:23 PM »
Yesterday I started reading "The Fated Sky," the follow-up to "The Calculating Stars."

Vijaya

« Reply #185 on: March 27, 2019, 12:37:25 AM »
I just finished An Equal Music by Vikram Seth. It was truly a slice of heaven. His writing is so evocative I could actually hear some of the music in my head even if I didn't know it.

Ronn Munsterman

• Blurb unlocked
  • I love studying WWII. So I write about it.
    • Ronn Munsterman
« Reply #186 on: March 27, 2019, 03:30:01 AM »
I'm alternating between J.A. Jance's J.P. Beaumont (Seattle detective) series and John Lescroart's Dismas Hardy series. On deck is C.J. Box's newest Joe Pickett (Wyoming Game Warden) book Wolf Pack.
Ronn

World War II Action Thrillers
12 Sgt. Dunn Novels, working on #13

Ronn Munsterman  | Blog  |  Website | Author Page  |  Twitter

Kate Elizabeth

« Reply #187 on: March 28, 2019, 08:06:41 AM »
I just finished Heather Hiestand's The Marquess of Cake.  I've had it forever, and finally got around to reading it.  I enjoyed it.

I just started reading Samantha Young's Hero.  So far, so good.

RobertLCollins

• Short Story unlocked
    • One Kansas Author
« Reply #188 on: April 01, 2019, 11:40:14 PM »
Over the weekend I finished The Fated Sky, the follow-up to The Calculating Stars. I quite enjoyed it. I think I would like to read a bit more about the characters and the alternate timeline Mary Robinette Kowal created. I think the next books I'll read will be one of Gail Carriger's novellas and Theodora Goss' latest.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #189 on: April 01, 2019, 11:43:39 PM »
I'm still working my way through Faith Martin's DI Hillary Greene series. Seventeen books in the series and I'm on the last one now. They are fairly short, easy read, police procedurals with a decent amount of Hillary's personal life sprinkled in.

RobertLCollins

• Short Story unlocked
    • One Kansas Author
« Reply #190 on: April 11, 2019, 11:24:52 PM »
Yesterday evening I finished How to Marry a Werewolf by Gail Carriger. It was a good little romance story with some interesting drama and quite a few of Gail's touches. I quite enjoyed it.

elleoco

« Reply #191 on: April 12, 2019, 05:16:59 AM »
I read the latest C. S. Harris. Who Slays the Wicked. IMO this is the best historical mystery series out there (Sebastian St. Cyr), although admittedly unless your library has the earlier ones, catching up on the series at this point would be expensive. Grin Set in Regency England and has the reader meeting people from all walks of life, not just aristocrats sipping champagne.

Harris wrote romance before this series as Candice Proctor. Her Whispers of Heaven only became available for Kindle a year or so ago. It's also one of the best historical romances I ever read. Set in Tasmania, year never given, but probably 1840s from the research it had me off doing about convict labor in Australia.

Vijaya

« Reply #192 on: April 12, 2019, 11:06:31 AM »
I loved The Beautiful Mystery by Louise Penny--the pacing, the characters, everything fit with the setting (remote monastery in Quebec). Her character development is so good, I'm going to go back and read the rest of the Inspector Gamache series.

RobertLCollins

• Short Story unlocked
    • One Kansas Author
« Reply #193 on: April 20, 2019, 03:52:28 AM »
Yesterday I finished Theodora Goss' collection Snow White Learns Witchcraft. It contains both poems and short stories. I really liked the short stories. There were interesting takes on fairy tales and folklore, and they featured interesting heroines. I'm not that much of a fan of poetry, but I did find some of the poems intriguing as well. Well worth picking up.

RobertLCollins

• Short Story unlocked
    • One Kansas Author
« Reply #194 on: May 10, 2019, 10:24:36 PM »
Yesterday I finished The Bayern Agenda by Dan Moren. It's a space opera spy thriller that takes place in the same universe as his first book, The Caledonian Gambit. The new novel has a strong and twisty plot. I enjoyed the two viewpoint characters and the others they met along the way. I liked that the universe is much more filled out in this novel than in the first. I know about both these books because Moren is on The Incomparable podcast quite a lot.

RobertLCollins

• Short Story unlocked
    • One Kansas Author
« Reply #195 on: May 15, 2019, 11:39:20 PM »
Yesterday I finished reading Sorcery & Cecilia by Patricia Wrede & Caroline Stevermer. It was a delightful fantasy novel, told entirely in letters between two cousins. Quite a fun read. I was amazed to learn that the authors chose which cousin to write and that the book started out as a letter game between them.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #196 on: May 16, 2019, 03:26:42 AM »
I'm on a Dick Francis binge (thanks for letting us know about the sale, Ellen). Just finished Dead Cert and now I'm reading Rat Race.

Rat Race is somewhat of a departure for Francis as it centers around an air taxi pilot, although so far, he's mainly flying jockeys and trainers to race courses. There is a foreword to the book explaining that both Francis and his wife were highly qualified pilots and actually ran their own air taxi service for several years.

I just downloaded the latest Det Jackson story by L.J. Sellers, A Crime of Hate. It's #14 in the series and I'm really looking forward to reading it.

RobertLCollins

• Short Story unlocked
    • One Kansas Author
« Reply #197 on: May 20, 2019, 11:44:22 PM »
Yesterday I finished Sister Light, Sister Dark by Jane Yolen. I knew it was the first book in a trilogy, but I thought it might be a stand-alone that became a trilogy. It's not a stand-alone, but it is a good book and I plan to get to the other books sooner rather than later.

Kate Elizabeth

« Reply #198 on: May 21, 2019, 05:21:16 AM »
The last three books I finished and liked:

Dianne Setterfield's Once Upon a River  - I loved The Thirteenth Tale, and also enjoyed this one.  It really does meander along, just like a river.
Laura Bradford's Shunned and Dangerous - It's the third in an Amish cozy mystery series.
Anna Bradley's A Wicked Way to Win an Earl - Regency romance with steamy parts.  I'd like to read the rest of the series.

I'm currently reading Beatriz Williams's A Hundred Summers.  It cuts back and forth between 1931 and 1938, and there's a big hurricane on the horizon.  The descriptions make me want to go to the beach (minus the hurricane, of course, and a frenemy you've known your whole life).

The Doctor

« Reply #199 on: May 21, 2019, 06:40:59 PM »
I'm re-reading the Game of Thrones books from the beginning. And reading Good Omens for the first time (already listened to the fantastic BBC full cast drama version), in preparation for the new series.

Gayle Ramage Website