Author Topic: Writing tips from a multi-million-copies-sold author  (Read 849 times)

Luke Everhart

• Long Novel unlocked
  • Energizer bunny arrested: charged with battery. 😔
Writing tips from a multi-million-copies-sold author
« on: February 21, 2023, 11:42:33 AM »
While this covers basic writing 101 territory, it might still be helpful to some.
Below is a link to Ilona Andrews addressing passive vs active voice in writing fiction. I expect everyone is already wed to the use of active voice, so the bit that might be of most use to some is her covering the most common occasions when passive voice is preferable.

https://ilona-andrews.com/2019/passive-voice/
« Last Edit: February 21, 2023, 11:51:41 AM by Luke Everhart »
Urban Fantasy Author
Magic & Mirth meets Action & Attitude

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
  • Earth Galaxy core, 2618
    • The Hunter Imperium Universe
Re: Writing tips from an 8 figure author
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2023, 11:47:13 AM »
Where do you get 8 figures from?

I'd have pegged this husband & wife team as solid mid-6.

Genres: Space Opera/Fantasy/Cyberpunk, with elements of LitRPG and GameLit, with a touch of the Supernatural. Also Spiritual and Games.

Timothy Ellis Kindle Author page. | Join the Hunter Legacy mailing list | The Hunter Imperium Universe on Facebook. | Forum Promo Page.

Luke Everhart

• Long Novel unlocked
  • Energizer bunny arrested: charged with battery. 😔
Re: Writing tips from a multi-million-copies-sold author
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2023, 11:50:13 AM »

I misused the phrase.😒 Income-wise I've no idea what they make. I was using it to refer to the number of books they've sold which has hit 10 million (the wiki 3.5 mil entry is dated and wrong). I'll change the subject to say seller as yeah it clearly implies revenue.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2023, 12:23:14 PM by Luke Everhart »
Urban Fantasy Author
Magic & Mirth meets Action & Attitude

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2023, 11:53:14 AM »

I misused the phrase.😒 Income-wise I've no idea what they make. I was using it to refer to the number of books they've sold which has hit 10 million (the wiki 3.5 mil entry is dated and wrong). I'll change the subject to say seller as yeah it clearly implies revenue.

:tup3b

That sounds much more likely.
Genres: Space Opera/Fantasy/Cyberpunk, with elements of LitRPG and GameLit, with a touch of the Supernatural. Also Spiritual and Games.

Timothy Ellis Kindle Author page. | Join the Hunter Legacy mailing list | The Hunter Imperium Universe on Facebook. | Forum Promo Page.

Cabbages and kings

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2023, 03:26:10 PM »

How do you find out how much authors make?
"The time has come," the walrus said,
"to talk of many things:
of shoes and ships,
and sealing wax,
of cabbages and kings."

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2023, 03:36:06 PM »

How do you find out how much authors make?

You don't.

But you can get a feel for it based on how fast they release, and what rank they normally release to in the US.

Anderle has said he's 7 figures a few years ago now, and he releases multiple books a month, with a lot of them making it to top 200 on debut.

Anyone doing 12 releases a year, and getting into the top 200 on the US Paid store with a 4.99 or higher price most of the time, is making mid 6 figures, assuming they're not spending insane amounts on advertising to do it. [Might be less for Trad authors, but the paperbacks will probably make up any difference.]

I base this on what I make, given I'm a top 2000 debut normal. Plus I know what I made in 2018 when I went to 218, 132, and 97.

Anyone who releases enough times a year and consistently debuts at 500 or better, is making 6 figures.

I'm not sure exactly how many Illona Andrews are putting out a year, but they publish multiple very popular series at the same time. So if they're not making mid-6 figures, I'd be asking why not.

The following users thanked this post: dianapersaud