Author Topic: That final push to finish ...  (Read 1710 times)

VanessaC

That final push to finish ...
« on: July 03, 2019, 08:37:11 PM »
I'm almost at the end of book 1 of a new series. It's been drafted, edited, beta read, and all I have to do now is finish editing two chapters that need some pruning, and do the final spelling / grammar checks. I think it's good, the beta reading feedback was awesome, but ...

For some reason this last little bit feels way, way, harder than it should be! The book is the longest one so far - at about 103K words - and I feel like I've run out of juice.

I'm making my way through these final stages in teeny tiny bits but if I knuckled down I could get them done and set the book to release at the weekend.

Would love to hear from others if this sounds familiar, and what you do to keep yourself going?

Genre: Fantasy

Vijaya

Re: That final push to finish ...
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2019, 09:23:28 PM »
That's so great you are so close to finishing. When I feel like I'm "running out of juice" it means I have to be extra vigilant to not be lazy (as in lazy writing). The ending is just as important as your beginning so take ALL the time you need to make it memorable. Best of luck.

Author of over 100 books and magazine pieces, primarily for children
Vijaya Bodach | Personal Blog | Bodach Books

The following users thanked this post: VanessaC

Vinjii

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2019, 10:47:11 PM »
When that happens to me it's usually because I'm scared to finish the book because finishing the book means I can put it up, and putting it up means people can read it, and people reading it means it could be disliked and perhaps it's better if I just hide under my bed. :icon_rolleyes:

Then, there's also the moment where I've spent so much time with a project that my brain throws a, 'if I have to see these words one more time' tantrum...

I hope you manage to bite through.

I think at that stage, all that we can do is butt in chair and work on it.

The following users thanked this post: VanessaC, Kristen.s.walker

VanessaC

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2019, 11:15:34 PM »
That's so great you are so close to finishing. When I feel like I'm "running out of juice" it means I have to be extra vigilant to not be lazy (as in lazy writing). The ending is just as important as your beginning so take ALL the time you need to make it memorable. Best of luck.

Thank you - the "so close to finishing" is just such a lovely, positive way of looking at it.

When that happens to me it's usually because I'm scared to finish the book because finishing the book means I can put it up, and putting it up means people can read it, and people reading it means it could be disliked and perhaps it's better if I just hide under my bed. :icon_rolleyes:

Then, there's also the moment where I've spent so much time with a project that my brain throws a, 'if I have to see these words one more time' tantrum...

I hope you manage to bite through.

I think at that stage, all that we can do is butt in chair and work on it.

Oh, yes, I know that apprehensive "but people might hate it" feeling very well! And also the "I am so sick of this book" feeling.

I'm getting there, bit by bit.

:tap

Kristen.s.walker

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2019, 02:36:11 AM »
I dragged my heels an extra week on my last round of edits/proofing because it was just so tedious. Let me tell you, I got a lot of other stuff done because I didn't want to do it.

But yesterday I sat down at the computer and refused to let myself do anything else until I finished. Got those last five chapters done and it felt so good to just be over with it.

Now, of course, I am in the nail-biting phase of waiting for people to tell me they hate it.

But you'll get there sooner than you think! It just feels like forever right now. And you can celebrate when you're done!

VanessaC

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2019, 02:58:15 AM »
I dragged my heels an extra week on my last round of edits/proofing because it was just so tedious. Let me tell you, I got a lot of other stuff done because I didn't want to do it.

But yesterday I sat down at the computer and refused to let myself do anything else until I finished. Got those last five chapters done and it felt so good to just be over with it.

Now, of course, I am in the nail-biting phase of waiting for people to tell me they hate it.

But you'll get there sooner than you think! It just feels like forever right now. And you can celebrate when you're done!

This made me smile - my house is tidier than its been for weeks, and I'm still not quite finished the book!

And another thank you to Vijaya for the reminder about laziness. I was very tempted to skip the read through on my kindle, which is my final sense check. Glad I didn't because the first thing I saw was a note in the book reminding me to put in the character list... So taking the extra time to do the read through has already saved me from huge embarrsment.  :icon_redface:

The following users thanked this post: Kristen.s.walker

Vijaya

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2019, 11:36:16 AM »
Vanessa, we can't let our readers in on our notes :) Glad you caught it.

Kristen, hooray!!!

Author of over 100 books and magazine pieces, primarily for children
Vijaya Bodach | Personal Blog | Bodach Books

idontknowyet

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2019, 08:04:38 AM »

This is my biggest thing haven't gotten to the end of any books but im starting to get close in several.