Author Topic: Carry On With Existing Series or Start Afresh?  (Read 1647 times)

The Doctor

Carry On With Existing Series or Start Afresh?
« on: July 24, 2019, 08:20:43 PM »
A bit of advice would be appreciated, fellow wordsmiths.

I wrote a four book series a few years ago and then created a ebook boxset/paperback omnibus, titled "The Complete Edinburgh Elementals series", assuming I was done with the series.

Except over the past week, I've been coming up with more ideas set in that world and with the same set of characters.

So, do I call these new sets of books "Book 5", "Book 6" etc or should I create a new series name for them, though letting people know it's connected to the EE world?

Not sure if it makes any difference but the existing four books are all quite short, whereas I think the future books will be at least 50-60+k words.

Anyone else been in a similar situation?

Here are the books for your reference

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074C2G1TM/?ie=UTF8&redirect=true&ref_=series_rw_dp_sw

Genre: Weird Fiction | Science Fiction | Fantasy | Horror |
Gayle Ramage Website

Dennis Chekalov

Re: Carry On With Existing Series or Start Afresh?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2019, 09:11:10 PM »
though letting people know it's connected to the EE world?

Most readers will miss this information.

You have two options.

1)  Edinburgh Elementals 6. Dark Moon
     Edinburgh Elementals 7. Blood of the Damned
     Edinburgh Elementals 8. The Curse of the Ghoul

etc.

If your readers like the series, they will be happy.

Or:

2) Edinburgh Elementals: The New Dawn 1. Dark Moon
    Edinburgh Elementals: The New Dawn 2. Blood of the Damned
    Edinburgh Elementals: The New Dawn 3. The Curse of the Ghoul

So, your readers will know that it's the same series.

The following users thanked this post: The Doctor, Ghost5

VanessaC

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2019, 09:40:07 PM »
Love the Elemental series covers!

I've not been in this exact situation, but the series I'm writing just now I fully intended to be a trilogy and it's described as a trilogy on my website / book description (I think - it's been a while since I set it up).  However, I've now realised that I'd like to do another trilogy, following on from this one.

Luckily it's just branded as series in terms of covers, so I'll simply make it a six book series.

In my case, it will be continuing the main characters' story, over another three book arc. So, it's right that it's just continuing the same series name.

I can see the argument for a different, or slightly adjusted, series name if there's a time gap in the stories and, as you say, the stories are going to be longer.  If you want to keep the same series name, can you call the existing books novellas or a prequel series?

Genre: Fantasy

The following users thanked this post: The Doctor

The Doctor

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2019, 09:46:58 PM »
Dennis, thanks for your suggestions.

I think I'd probably go for "...Book 6" etc as the title would take up less space on the covers. I suppose I could try that way first and if it doesn't work/people get confused, then review the situation again.

Vanessa, I'm happy that you like the covers, especially as your own covers are amazing! I created the covers myself after a few false starts. I'd love to use the same model but the rest of the images of her (I found them on Canstockphoto) are a bit lacking in clothing. I'd love to have covers similar to Ben Aaronovitch's Rivers of London series, but with an Edinburgh map instead of London.

I was thinking that I could call the first four books something like "An Edinburgh Elementals Short Story Collection", if I don't go down the "Book 6" route, as mentioned above.

Gayle Ramage Website

The following users thanked this post: VanessaC

notthatamanda

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2019, 10:18:20 PM »
Also consider whether you want to be able to link everything on the series page on Amazon.  As far as I know, if you name it a new series, it wouldn't be linked like that.

VanessaC

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2019, 11:37:48 PM »

Vanessa, I'm happy that you like the covers, especially as your own covers are amazing! I created the covers myself after a few false starts. I'd love to use the same model but the rest of the images of her (I found them on Canstockphoto) are a bit lacking in clothing. I'd love to have covers similar to Ben Aaronovitch's Rivers of London series, but with an Edinburgh map instead of London.

Aw,  thank you - although I can only take credit for finding a fantastic cover designer.  Seriously, she's a miracle worker - there's been a lot of head-swapping and hair transplants on the covers so far! If I look back at the original stock photos, the transformation is amazing.

Best of luck with whatever you decide to do.

ETA: Forgot to say: I am in awe of anyone who can do their own covers. The amount of work and patience it must take is humbling.

Genre: Fantasy

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2019, 12:16:58 AM »
I wrote a four book series a few years ago and then created a ebook boxset/paperback omnibus, titled "The Complete Edinburgh Elementals series", assuming I was done with the series.

. . .

So, do I call these new sets of books "Book 5", "Book 6" etc or should I create a new series name for them, though letting people know it's connected to the EE world?

Rebrand the originals as Series 1 and call the new set of books Series 2.
Mulder: "If you're distracted by fear of those around you, it keeps you from seeing the actions of those above."
The X-Files: "Blood"

The following users thanked this post: The Doctor

The Doctor

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2019, 02:18:59 AM »
Electric Dan, hmm that's something to ponder.

Gayle Ramage Website