Author Topic: Deliberate practice and improving craft  (Read 3203 times)

tim

Deliberate practice and improving craft
« on: June 22, 2019, 01:53:49 PM »
Question: How do (or would) you go about improving your novel-writing craft?

Deliberate practice is about pushing your limits to improve. There's the example of a hobbyist guitar player who plays the same types of songs for 20 years and remains at the same amateur level. Then, there's the guitar player who deliberately pushes himself daily into uncomfortable regimes and is playing professionally in 5 years.

What can you do as a write to be the latter and not the former?

If your books are selling well enough, it seems easy to keep doing the same thing. It works, right? But I expect the market to continue to get more crowded, advertising costs to increase, and the business of writing to become more difficult in general.

The one thing I believe can do to future-proof my career somewhat is to keep improving my writing craft. To reach that next level of skill.

I already write consistently and pump out novels, but I'm afraid that I am currently just the guitar player doing the same thing every day. How can I push my craft? What kinds of exercises can I do? A guitar player might select a more difficult piece to play. I'm not sure how this translates into writing. Try to write a different genre? Try to do something technically ambitious? If I feel weak in romance, make sure my next book has an important romance subplot? Or if I feel weak with military stuff, try writing a military scifi?

A lot of what I just mentioned is genre-specific weaknesses/strengths, so I'm not sure that's the best way to go forward.

Another idea -- spend more time editing/rewriting my own work, or even other people's works? Do big-picture developmental editing for others, maybe even pro bono, as an exercise?

Another issue with writing is that deliberate practice ordinarily requires quick feedback so you can fix what is wrong. If I do a bad job playing a song, I know immediately. On the other hand, if it takes a month to write and edit a novel, I might then gauge the success through sales, which takes another month. That's a really slow feedback cycle. I suppose I could judge my own work as I go. I'm kind of reminded of some of Anderle's engineering approaches. I wonder what he would say, but he's probably too busy to reply to me.

Any thoughts on improving the craft of novel writing through deliberate practice? How do I push my limits?

The following users thanked this post: Denise

Dennis Chekalov

Re: Deliberate practice and improving craft
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2019, 01:56:42 PM »
Hire a good developmental editor or writing coach.

The following users thanked this post: Kristen.s.walker

VisitasKeat

• Short Novel unlocked
  • Following my characters. Wherever they take me.
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2019, 06:04:40 PM »
Join one of the word clubs.

sandree

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2019, 09:55:56 PM »
Join Critique Circle or Absolute Write Water Cooler and submit chapters or short stories for critique. And critique others... An interesting book for writing exercises is The 3am Epiphany.

https://www.critiquecircle.com/default.asp

https://absolutewrite.com/forums/forum.php

https://www.amazon.com/3-AM-Epiphany-Brian-Kiteley-ebook/dp/B0033ZAVW6/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=3am+epiphany&qid=1561204520&s=gateway&sr=8-1

Denise

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2019, 11:03:47 PM »

Deliberate practice is about pushing your limits to improve. There's the example of a hobbyist guitar player who plays the same types of songs for 20 years and remains at the same amateur level. Then, there's the guitar player who deliberately pushes himself daily into uncomfortable regimes and is playing professionally in 5 years.

OMG, sooooo true. I've seen teens go from 0 to virtuoso in 1 year, just because they were so focused on getting there.

I'm also working on improving my craft. That's my main goal for this and next year.

I think having the goal is already step 1. Guitar players who improve want to improve, it doesn't happen by accident.

What I've been doing is:

1. Reading popular, beloved books (indie and trad) and paying attention. Why do I like this scene? How did I connect with this character? How did this beginning grab me? Why do I want to keep reading even though I should be getting to bed? I've been noticing details I hadn't noticed before. As an example, and I even created a topic here, I noticed "wonder" as an important element in fiction. I'd never read about it on books on craft. I've noticed other things, too.

2. Getting feedback from good beta readers and putting an effort on getting reviews and paying attention to what they say. I know people think we should ignore reviews, but I find that reviews tend to sound similar. If you have 3 or 4 people writing the same thing about your writing, it's usually true. So I look at my weaknesses and strengths. I also want to understand what is most appealing to readers in my writing.

I used to read lots of books about craft, but I think a lot of them repeat themselves and say the same things over and over. I have my favorite and I'll try to pay more attention to its advice and compare it to my writing. And I guess that's one thing I'm also doing, sticking to one writing craft guru.

I don't know, I guess I'll tell you the results when my next series comes out. I think I'm already writing better, but it's not much use when I'm finishing an existing series. 

Great thread!

The following users thanked this post: TinkSaid, Wonder, Kristen.s.walker

Vijaya

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2019, 12:09:40 AM »
I practice deliberately too. Almost every year I will focus on a craft book. Most recently, Emotional Craft of Fiction. I will always be a student of craft. Every couple of years, I take a writing workshop--usually this leads to quantum leaps. And nothing beats teaching--it forces you to learn! And throughout the year, I read great books. Taking them apart also helps--esp. for novels. For picture books, I type in the text to see how it flows without pictures. And my editors have been wonderful teachers as well.   

Author of over 100 books and magazine pieces, primarily for children
Vijaya Bodach | Personal Blog | Bodach Books

The following users thanked this post: Denise, twicebitten

PJ Post

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2019, 12:25:38 AM »
I think you're right, repetition isn't necessarily going to improve anything. But I don't recommend special exercises, just write more stories, however, focus on the craft - the words themselves and how they work together, not sales, or tropes, or copy and paste formulas. 

Ways to push your craft...

First, recognize that writing isn't a business. It's Art.

So to begin with, study. Read and watch movies, television...with an eye for structure. Why did they use that camera angle, that music, the timing of both. How does word usage affect mood? How does the flow of dialog affect pacing? How many levels is the scene working on? Stuff like that. Handmaid's Tale is a Masterclass in visual storytelling, the writing is amazing too. Youtube has a lot of video essayist that do nothing but film analysis. One of the best is Every Frame a Painting. Most of the tools work in multiple mediums, even camera angle theory can be applied to books.

The real key is rewriting. I've known lots of people who claim to write at their optimal best in a single pass - I think this is just silly. When I write a song, if I'm lucky, the lyrics flow, but even then I have to make them work with the melody, with the singer (what key?), which has to work with the beat and rhythm. To make matters worse, I have lots of instruments to choose from to convey all of it. I have to put in the work to make the song the best it can be, and all of that's after I figure out my vision for the song - which may not be obvious in the beginning. Creative ideas can change during the artistic process.

Writing is the same way. We put down the idea, the 'what' of it all. But how's the emotion working? Okay? Maybe? Are you ugly crying? Can you write something sad enough to cry over? If not, you have some work to do. If you can't write deeply enough to trigger yourself, you're not being honest in your writing.

And honesty is the foundation for deeper writing, because the best writing is vulnerable writing. It engenders empathy, which is directly responsible for creating engagement.

When you go back through your works, look to pacing, the rhythm of the prose, arcs, foreshadowing and metaphors, both descriptive and thematic. Good writing manipulates the reader, takes them places and makes them think, challenges them - entertains them. So when we re-write, we strengthen these things, build on ideas, delete others. We re-frame scenes to emphasize perspective or emotion. We choose words carefully to achieve these ends. Strong verbs are not always the best. Passive is sometimes the stronger choice. We only understand what's in our toolbox by using them, and, we also have to remember that every tool is situationally specific; generalizations only work with theory.

And like music, theory only takes us to the edge of the possible. I don't think we ever stop learning, but to be really great at this, you have to feel your way through - you have to jump into the unknown and be willing to accept utter failure as just another building block - another tool.

The following users thanked this post: TinkSaid

PermaStudent

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2019, 12:30:04 AM »
A few years back I noticed a trend in my reviews that said my books were boring, and this was despite selling well. Digging deeper, reviewers said things like "nothing happens" and "it takes way to long to get going". My characters were good, my world was engrossing, my plot twists were clever and unexpected...

But I had a pacing problem. My excellent world-building stemmed from unmitigated rambling.

I read up on pacing. I decided to engrain the lessons through practice, and I wanted to do it fast, so I forced myself to write much shorter than I usually do: a series of nine novellas, 30k words each, and each one was required to have a self-contained story--they couldn't be serials. The short word count put pressure on me to stay on my outline and not follow the tangents. I had to pay attention to plot points in relation to the beginning, middle, and end points by word count. The shorter form also allowed me to release faster and receive feedback on my efforts along the way.

Ratings were great, and none of my books since have suffered reviews about being "boring".

That's my method: Read your reviews, but only with a critical eye toward consistent complaints. Identify your underlying problem, because reviewers rarely know what actually put them off. Research how to improve. Make a plan that involves a ton of practice, follow through, and get as much feedback as you can along the way.
I write urban fantasy. There are girls in gowns and glowy hands on my covers.

The following users thanked this post: PJ Post, twicebitten, Kristen.s.walker, Herko Kerghans

PJ Post

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2019, 12:32:42 AM »
Pacing is the secret sauce of all good entertainment.

angela

• Short Novel unlocked
  • Indie publishing since 2011. Still kickin'.
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2019, 01:35:49 AM »
I run a local creative writing meetup. I pick a theme or some specific skill, do a short presentation, then we write for a timed session, then read out our work. We encourage but we don't critique. We usually do 3 exercises per meetup, and there are lots of laughs.

Putting together the mini-workshops has helped me in my writing. I probably get more out of it than the attendees.

They say if you really want to get better at something, try teaching it!

(Also, they are a really nice group and I love seeing them every 2 weeks.)

The following users thanked this post: Denise

twicebitten

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2019, 03:02:10 AM »
I use craft books too and then consciously think about their principles in the next books I read and movies I watch. Once upon a time, I did specific revisions for specific matters, but eventually I changed to a one-pass revision and trusted that I knew my craft well enough that the problems would leap out.

But I disagree that craft has much relationship at all to sales beyond a certain basic level of craft, some level of adequacy that doesn't detract from the readers absorbing the story. I've read some books by millionaire authors that aren't at all good. (and while "good" might be partly subjective, it's partly not.) No one knows why some books hit big and some don't, but I'm positive it's not that the best crafted deserved it and the rest didn't. I'm not saying "Don't study the craft," but something more like "Don't intensely study the craft unless you love doing so" or "don't study the craft assiduously assuming it will guarantee that you sell more books."

Denise

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2019, 03:53:18 AM »

But I disagree that craft has much relationship at all to sales beyond a certain basic level of craft, some level of adequacy that doesn't detract from the readers absorbing the story. I've read some books by millionaire authors that aren't at all good. (and while "good" might be partly subjective, it's partly not.) No one knows why some books hit big and some don't, but I'm positive it's not that the best crafted deserved it and the rest didn't.

I don't know, but I think craft matters, and matters a lot.

I see craft not as the quality of the prose, but as creating engaging stories that resonate with readers. I think there are some common denominators across genres for successful, beloved books.

Perhaps some books have wonky sentences, repetitions, excessive tell, etc. but they'll still work on other levels. Some books have predictable or inconsistent plots with Mary Sue characters, but they are still fun and engaging. So there's more to it.

That's why I'm steering a bit away from craft books, because I think what makes a book engaging is not necessarily what those books say.

PJ Post

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2019, 04:00:23 AM »
I use craft books too and then consciously think about their principles in the next books I read and movies I watch. Once upon a time, I did specific revisions for specific matters, but eventually I changed to a one-pass revision and trusted that I knew my craft well enough that the problems would leap out.

But I disagree that craft has much relationship at all to sales beyond a certain basic level of craft, some level of adequacy that doesn't detract from the readers absorbing the story. I've read some books by millionaire authors that aren't at all good. (and while "good" might be partly subjective, it's partly not.) No one knows why some books hit big and some don't, but I'm positive it's not that the best crafted deserved it and the rest didn't. I'm not saying "Don't study the craft," but something more like "Don't intensely study the craft unless you love doing so" or "don't study the craft assiduously assuming it will guarantee that you sell more books."

But if you want to get better at craft, you have to get your hands dirty. It's kind of all or nothing, you can't study to be a little bit better.

If you're writing for the commodity bin, who cares, right? Those sales are far more marketing driven than they are by writing excellence.

Also, beware craft books for aspiring writers. Some are good, but most are just vehicles for pretentious authors to show us how clever they are - these books suck. Check out screenplay books, instead. They deal directly with story, pacing and how to get from here to way over there as expeditiously and entertainingly as possible.

Shoe

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2019, 04:25:06 AM »
How can I push my craft?

Read the "great books" (I've been working my way through several "Top 100 Books of All Time" lists forever). Reading great poetry helps too. When I find a phrase or sentence I particularly like, I'll rewrite it in my own words, which is often challenging but truly puts my mind to work, in the same way lifting weights works my muscles.

Along these lines, "The Describer's Dictionary" is a very useful tool.

Those "craft books" that have you do exercises ("describe a vase") are also good ways to stretch your writing muscle. Their intent isn't to make your writing more "flowery" but rather more precise.
Martin Luther King: "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity."

The following users thanked this post: Ghost5, TinkSaid

Edward M. Grant

« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2019, 03:57:11 AM »
What can you do as a write to be the latter and not the former?

I remember DWS posting about how he'd practise one writing skill with every new book. One he might concentrate on depth, another he might concentrate on cliff-hangers, or whatever. I've kind of been trying to do that, but keep getting distracted by the story :).

And, yeah, read books by successful writers in your genre and see how they do things.

Lynn

« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2019, 05:24:01 AM »
Keep trying to write stories that feel a little above your skill level. It's really the only way to level up.
Don't rush me.

Lorri Moulton

« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2019, 10:20:33 AM »
Write in a different genre?

It can be a good way to stretch your 'writing muscles' and see if you enjoy other areas.  Maybe even find a new fan base.  :smilie_zauber:

Author of Romance, Fantasy, Fairytales, Mystery & Suspense, and Historical Non-Fiction @ Lavender Cottage Books

TinkSaid

« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2019, 06:10:20 AM »
I run a local creative writing meetup. I pick a theme or some specific skill, do a short presentation, then we write for a timed session, then read out our work. We encourage but we don't critique. We usually do 3 exercises per meetup, and there are lots of laughs.

Putting together the mini-workshops has helped me in my writing. I probably get more out of it than the attendees.

They say if you really want to get better at something, try teaching it!

(Also, they are a really nice group and I love seeing them every 2 weeks.)

I envy your group.