Author Topic: Inside the Underground Market for Fake Amazon Reviews  (Read 356 times)

APP

Inside the Underground Market for Fake Amazon Reviews
« on: November 03, 2022, 12:04:47 AM »
We all know that many reviews on Amazon are fake—not just on books, but on everything. In the past, I’ve bought products (not books) where the seller has contacted me a couple of days later to offer me some money for a favorable review. After reading this article from Wired, I realize the situation is worse than I thought. Unfortunately, I don’t think there’s much Amazon can do about the problem. They’re in the position of whack-a-mole.

This article isn’t focused on book reviews, but it’s a fascinating insight into this growing problem of fake reviews.

https://www.wired.com/story/fake-amazon-reviews-underground-market/

The following users thanked this post: Anarchist

LilyBLily

Re: Inside the Underground Market for Fake Amazon Reviews
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2022, 12:24:53 AM »
The trick is to read the negative reviews, including up to 3 stars. If there are none, that's a problem. If there are a lot and they make sense, that's a different kind of problem. I ignore ones that are strictly "This is garbage you should have bought X instead" as obvious fakes, just as one should ignore reviews on Yelp claiming the customer at an inn or restaurant saw a roach.

I should have taken my own advice myself recently with some outdoor lights. Once I realized they didn't work properly, I went back to the Amazon product page and read many very recent reviews. That's important, since Amazon will leave old reviews even after a product has been changed. The negative reviews explained exactly why the product was hopelessly inferior and detailed efforts by the other customers to repair them to no avail. Usually I'm more careful; I think I got seduced by the colorful image.

The following users thanked this post: PaulineMRoss, sliderule