Author Topic: D2D problem - Chapter 9 is listed first???  (Read 1325 times)

notthatamanda

D2D problem - Chapter 9 is listed first???
« on: April 07, 2020, 12:52:18 AM »
Using the D2D meatgrinder and my chapters are formatted in the word document using bookmarks. For some reason it is listing Chapter 9 first on the list. Very weird. I already emailed them about it but I thought I would mention it to see if anyone has seen it before.

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
  • Earth Galaxy core, 2618
    • The Hunter Imperium Universe
Re: D2D problem - Chapter 9 is listed first???
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2020, 12:54:27 AM »
Using the D2D meatgrinder and my chapters are formatted in the word document using bookmarks. For some reason it is listing Chapter 9 first on the list. Very weird. I already emailed them about it but I thought I would mention it to see if anyone has seen it before.

Why are you using bookmarks? For Amazon, only the word 'Contents' gets bookmarked.
Genres: Space Opera/Fantasy/Cyberpunk, with elements of LitRPG and GameLit, with a touch of the Supernatural. Also Spiritual and Games.

Timothy Ellis Kindle Author page. | Join the Hunter Legacy mailing list | The Hunter Imperium Universe on Facebook. | Forum Promo Page.

notthatamanda

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2020, 01:47:46 AM »
That's how I learned to do it in the styles guide from Smashwords.
I highlight each chapter, select "insert bookmark" then on the TOC I highlight the Chapter 1, for the link I select the chapter from the bookmark list.

It's always worked fine. And it is working fine in D2D except that it is putting Chapter 9 first in the list of chapters on the TOC when it meatgrinds it.  Otherwise, it's fine, just moving Chapter 9 to the top of the TOC it generates. It's going to look so stupid if someone does the preview.

Is there another way to do it? I'm probably not up for the learning curve on anything too technical right now, emotional reserves are about as low as they get for me.

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
  • Earth Galaxy core, 2618
    • The Hunter Imperium Universe
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2020, 01:56:14 AM »
Is there another way to do it? I'm probably not up for the learning curve on anything too technical right now, emotional reserves are about as low as they get for me.

What program are you using?

In Word, you modify the 'Heading1' style for the chapter heading layout you want, and then highlight each chapter heading, and click Heading1.

When complete, you create a ToC with 1 command, and it inserts all those Heading1 lines. You then change the ToC to a custom one, and highlight Contents and add the bookmark 'toc'.
Genres: Space Opera/Fantasy/Cyberpunk, with elements of LitRPG and GameLit, with a touch of the Supernatural. Also Spiritual and Games.

Timothy Ellis Kindle Author page. | Join the Hunter Legacy mailing list | The Hunter Imperium Universe on Facebook. | Forum Promo Page.

notthatamanda

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2020, 02:27:47 AM »

What program are you using?

In Word, you modify the 'Heading1' style for the chapter heading layout you want, and then highlight each chapter heading, and click Heading1.

When complete, you create a ToC with 1 command, and it inserts all those Heading1 lines. You then change the ToC to a custom one, and highlight Contents and add the bookmark 'toc'.
I'm using Word. Thank you for explaining it. I'm going to wait and see what D2D says about it.