Author Topic: The Garden Thread that two people wanted  (Read 71863 times)

Jan Hurst-Nicholson

• Epic Novel unlocked
  • Don't let your emotions overpower your intellect
    • Just4kix Books
Re: The Garden Thread that two people wanted
« Reply #750 on: September 05, 2022, 11:26:00 PM »
Decided to try a mini Zen garden for my lounge.  I was given the lovely dish some time ago and never found a really useful place for it until now. :)

Non-fiction, Fiction, family saga, humour, short stories, teen, children's
Jan Hurst-Nicholson | author website

The following users thanked this post: djmills, mk31333

Maggie Ann

« Reply #751 on: September 06, 2022, 12:12:16 AM »
Decided to try a mini Zen garden for my lounge.  I was given the lovely dish some time ago and never found a really useful place for it until now. :)

Very nice!

Jan Hurst-Nicholson

• Epic Novel unlocked
    • Just4kix Books
« Reply #752 on: September 06, 2022, 01:59:50 AM »

Very nice!

Thanks. It's quite relaxing making patterns in the sand.  :)

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #753 on: September 12, 2022, 09:16:49 AM »
The Joro spiders are apparently inviting all their friends to come here and take up residence, because their numbers continue to grow.  I counted 37 Joro spiders in webs next to the house.  There are more in the trees, but I only counted the ones that are cocooning my dwelling in an apparent attempt to take me hostage for ransom money.

Their silk is yellow, and that's pretty cool.  There's something romantic and mythical about a golden web.  But it's still a problem when they use that silk to blockade your path.  Don't fence me in, spider bro!

Even though I appreciate spiders and the role they play in controlling more troublesome insects, I'm reaching the end of my tolerance, so I'm going to start knocking down some webs soon.  Not today, because it's wet and muggy and musty and the mosquitoes are a plague and it's just plain miserable outside and I simply can't summon the energy.  It's rained almost every day since July 1st, and the outdoors smells like it.  It's swampy enough that I imagine it's only a matter of time before a little green dude shows up to teach me to use the Force.

On the positive side, there are a bunch of little trophies in those webs.  The spiders are doing good work.

In unrelated news, a motorist saw a bear chase a trio of deer across the road just a few miles from where I live.  I'm not enthused about the prospect of encountering a bear.   :Hqn66ku:

Speaking of predators, I saw a red-tailed hawk on the ground with a bird it had killed.  It was a young hawk, and it seemed pretty excited about it.  It was sort of hopping around in between pecking at it.  It eventually picked up the bird and flew away.

It's a jungle out here, folks.
v  v  v  v  v    Short Stories    v  v  v  v  v    vv FREE! vv

Genres: Science Fiction, Fantasy (some day) | Author Website

Maggie Ann

« Reply #754 on: September 12, 2022, 11:09:03 AM »
Jeff, there's been so much building going on here, we are seeing bobcats (entire families) and coyotes. Snakes are making more frequent appearances, too.

LilyBLily

« Reply #755 on: September 12, 2022, 12:10:34 PM »
Whereas I saw nothing outside today. I was hoping I might spot a box turtle. I love them and I know we have them here--well, we did until the fox kits grew up and learned to hunt, anyway.

It was muggy and awful out today and (much needed) rain is forecast, so phooey.

At this time of year my garden is awash in black-eyed susans and tiny white wild asters. A few bits of phlox and echinacea remain, and mist flower (it's either a self-seeding annual or perennial ageratum, and it grows tall) is happily among them. The glamor flowers in the garden right now are the colchicums, which are a lovely orchid color and larger than a true autumn crocus. Squirrels leave them alone but I have to spray the flowers against the deer. Still, that's a better situation than the actual crocuses have. 

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #756 on: September 12, 2022, 12:28:32 PM »
Jeff, there's been so much building going on here, we are seeing bobcats (entire families) and coyotes. Snakes are making more frequent appearances, too.

You live in Florida, so when you talk about snakes being a problem, I assume you mean giant pythons are swallowing young children on a daily basis.   :icon_eek:

I have yet to see a bobcat, and I'm glad for that, though the neighbors saw one hanging around years ago.  No coyotes yet, either, though foxes abound.  I know the coyotes are a plague in Georgia now; I just haven't seen one yet.

I welcome the snakes so long as they're not the deadly ones.  Snakes eat mice and moles and whatnot.  I appreciate snakes.  But I appreciate them because they're just ordinary snakes, not the giant pythons of Florida or some other kind of eldritch horror.

Whereas I saw nothing outside today. I was hoping I might spot a box turtle. I love them and I know we have them here--well, we did until the fox kits grew up and learned to hunt, anyway.

At my childhood home, we'd occasionally find a box turtle in the backyard.  I haven't seen one since I've lived there, and I miss them.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #757 on: September 13, 2022, 12:25:36 AM »

You live in Florida, so when you talk about snakes being a problem, I assume you mean giant pythons are swallowing young children on a daily basis.   :icon_eek:

I have yet to see a bobcat, and I'm glad for that, though the neighbors saw one hanging around years ago.  No coyotes yet, either, though foxes abound.  I know the coyotes are a plague in Georgia now; I just haven't seen one yet.

I welcome the snakes so long as they're not the deadly ones.  Snakes eat mice and moles and whatnot.  I appreciate snakes.  But I appreciate them because they're just ordinary snakes, not the giant pythons of Florida or some other kind of eldritch horror.

At my childhood home, we'd occasionally find a box turtle in the backyard.  I haven't seen one since I've lived there, and I miss them.

The pythons are coming. They caught an 18 footer with 110 eggs inside her. They hide in the Everglades and are hard to find. They have dogs who hunt them. They are decimating the deer population but I haven't heard that they're swallowing alligators or panthers. But they have been seen in more populated areas.

Mostly, we have black racers. Harmless except to rats and mice. Since the garbage debacle, we love the black racers. There have been sightings of cottonmouths and rattlers.

We used to have a turtle hanging around but not for ages. Rabbits are coming back and we had a few Ibises roaming around. I thought we'd lost them for good.

Jan Hurst-Nicholson

• Epic Novel unlocked
    • Just4kix Books
« Reply #758 on: September 13, 2022, 03:15:03 AM »
We used to have a turtle hanging around but not for ages. Rabbits are coming back and we had a few Ibises roaming around. I thought we'd lost them for good.
[/quote]

Are yours the same hadeda ibis that we have?

how to wake the entire neighborhood with a baby tomato  :icon_mrgreen:

https://www.facebook.com/leishlerproductions/videos/1704124506541024/

Maggie Ann

« Reply #759 on: September 14, 2022, 04:30:43 AM »

[/quote]

We have white ibises and glossy ibises. The white ibis is the University of Miami's mascot. I went there for two years.

They hang out together pecking at out lawns. We used to see groups of 20-30 every day. Now it's only 3=5 in a group.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2022, 04:32:55 AM by Maggie Ann »

Vijaya

« Reply #760 on: September 14, 2022, 09:02:20 AM »
That is such a gorgeous picture, Maggie Ann. I see them here (SC) on my walks with my dog.

Author of over 100 books and magazine pieces, primarily for children
Vijaya Bodach | Personal Blog | Bodach Books

Jan Hurst-Nicholson

• Epic Novel unlocked
    • Just4kix Books
« Reply #761 on: September 14, 2022, 10:57:33 PM »

We have white ibises and glossy ibises. The white ibis is the University of Miami's mascot. I went there for two years.

They hang out together pecking at out lawns. We used to see groups of 20-30 every day. Now it's only 3=5 in a group.
[/quote]

We have lots of the hadeda ibis. They have that terrible noisy cry. They peck at pot plants as well as the lawn and ruined a bonsai. They also pulled apart my penjing gardens when I left them on the lawn in the rain :icon_rolleyes:.  We call the white ones the sacred ibis, but they are not seen much.

Jan Hurst-Nicholson

• Epic Novel unlocked
    • Just4kix Books
« Reply #762 on: November 30, 2022, 03:53:30 AM »
Summer is just about here and the cacti are flowering. Not sure the names of these, but they are quite unusual flowers.

The following users thanked this post: djmills

Maggie Ann

« Reply #763 on: November 30, 2022, 04:49:35 AM »
Wow, Jan. That first flower I thought was an overturned pot.  Grin

My orchids are blooming, quite early.
The first photo are mini vandas I bought I couple of years ago. The second vanda I bought last Saturday at a show. Unusual ombre color with candy stripe stems. The third one is a Cattleya I bought at the same show.

Jan Hurst-Nicholson

• Epic Novel unlocked
    • Just4kix Books
« Reply #764 on: November 30, 2022, 05:41:49 AM »
Lovely orchids. My (very common variety and not sure of name) have just finished flowering. They are growing on the fence between my neighbour's and have become very heavy. My neighbour and I are planning to cut them back to make 'babies' and maybe attach to driftwood and then onto the trees.
Our expert orchid grower in our retirement village has a tree full of orchids, but sadly is now too ill to look after them, but they seem to be doing ok at the moment.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #765 on: November 30, 2022, 06:20:37 AM »
Lovely orchids. My (very common variety and not sure of name) have just finished flowering. They are growing on the fence between my neighbour's and have become very heavy. My neighbour and I are planning to cut them back to make 'babies' and maybe attach to driftwood and then onto the trees.
Our expert orchid grower in our retirement village has a tree full of orchids, but sadly is now too ill to look after them, but they seem to be doing ok at the moment.

In my experience, orchids can actually benefit from a little benign neglect.

Make sure you know how to separate the keikis (babies) from the mother plant. I've never had much luck with separation. I have one Dendrobium Nobile that has seven keikis on three canes and I'm not touching them. When they mature and bloom, they'll be spectacular.

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #766 on: November 30, 2022, 09:19:08 AM »
Those cactus flowers look suspiciously like demogorgons.   :icon_eek:

Jan, y'all have all the weirdest coolest things over there.

Jan Hurst-Nicholson

• Epic Novel unlocked
    • Just4kix Books
« Reply #767 on: December 01, 2022, 12:37:32 AM »
Those cactus flowers look suspiciously like demogorgons.   :icon_eek:

Jan, y'all have all the weirdest coolest things over there.

Never seen a scary plant before  :eek: Don't think I'd put it in a vase  :icon_mrgreen:

The following users thanked this post: Jeff Tanyard

LilyBLily

« Reply #768 on: December 01, 2022, 03:00:22 AM »
The scary plants I deal with are the non-native invasives my neighbors keep planting, like burning bush. I've harvested over a hundred seedlings alone on my property from their bushes this year. Luckily, they're very easy to identify. Pretty, too, but useless to birds. Although the deer do seem to enjoy eating them, so maybe they're not as bad as I have been told. Illegal to sell in some states.

Vijaya

« Reply #769 on: December 01, 2022, 09:03:47 AM »
Beautiful flowers, Jan and Maggie Ann, but Jeff, that thing looks demonic.

notthatamanda

« Reply #770 on: December 01, 2022, 10:18:21 AM »
The scary plants I deal with are the non-native invasives my neighbors keep planting, like burning bush. I've harvested over a hundred seedlings alone on my property from their bushes this year. Luckily, they're very easy to identify. Pretty, too, but useless to birds. Although the deer do seem to enjoy eating them, so maybe they're not as bad as I have been told. Illegal to sell in some states.
Wow I had no idea burning bush was invasive. They certainly don't grow very well around here. I've been waiting for mine to get bigger for 5 years. Here mustard garlic is a huge problem, and bittersweet and mile a minute vine.

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #771 on: December 02, 2022, 10:59:38 AM »
...Jeff, that thing looks demonic.

It might be.  I don't know.  It's a monster from Stranger Things, a show I haven't seen.  I've only seen the demogorgon mentioned here and there, and I googled it, and the image stuck in my head.

LilyBLily

« Reply #772 on: December 02, 2022, 02:29:15 PM »
Wow I had no idea burning bush was invasive. They certainly don't grow very well around here. I've been waiting for mine to get bigger for 5 years. Here mustard garlic is a huge problem, and bittersweet and mile a minute vine.

I've got about five non-native invasives I'm fighting, and garlic mustard is one of them, too. Mostly these are at the edges of the property; the battle is to keep them from spreading and then beat them all back to nothing. Some are way ahead of me and I can't get rid of them until I have something viable as a replacement. Meanwhile, finding the sneaky little ones gives me a daily outdoor mission.

notthatamanda

« Reply #773 on: December 02, 2022, 09:34:28 PM »
You can eat the garlic mustard if you get it before it flowers. There is a trail I hike in town that is completely overgrown with it.

LilyBLily

« Reply #774 on: December 03, 2022, 12:44:40 AM »
You can eat the garlic mustard if you get it before it flowers. There is a trail I hike in town that is completely overgrown with it.

I've tried it. It's okay. A member of my family loves it.

LilyBLily

« Reply #775 on: December 04, 2022, 01:19:46 AM »
Turns out I was wrong about the birds not eating the berries. They do. The problem is these invasives take over and push out the native flora and create a monoculture. Areas with floribunda rose become impassable, I am told.

Even that, I must admit, is kind of an interesting question. Floribunda rose has to duke it out with high bush honeysuckle, which dukes it out with burning bush and a number of other items that have a tendency go wild and jump from a suburban landscape to the woods. I can see on our property that the bush honeysuckle shades out all the undergrowth except vines that climb trees. I haven't seen that the regular honeysuckle climbs the bush variety, though I have areas where there are both plants. But floribundas do climb, although they don't seem to entwine; they can coexist without killing each other. Honeysuckle usually wants to strangle whatever it climbs.

Now that I finally have all my spring bulbs planted I can look more to grooming what I can of the property edges. Yesterday I found nine more burning bush seedlings and pulled them. The ground is not frozen, so pulling more bush honeysuckle bushes also is possible. A reason to go outside in the feeble and short-lived December sunshine.

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #776 on: December 04, 2022, 03:58:36 PM »
It's been a long time since I've seen honeysuckle in the wild.  I still remember how to carefully take the flower apart so as to get to the little droplet of honey.

I'm not envious about your gardening dilemma, Lily, but I am sort of yearning for some honeysuckle now.  You've brought back some childhood memories for me.   :heart:

LilyBLily

« Reply #777 on: December 05, 2022, 12:27:20 AM »
It's been a long time since I've seen honeysuckle in the wild.  I still remember how to carefully take the flower apart so as to get to the little droplet of honey.

I'm not envious about your gardening dilemma, Lily, but I am sort of yearning for some honeysuckle now.  You've brought back some childhood memories for me.   :heart:

Yes, those childhood memories are sweet. I live in almost the same climate as that in which I grew up, but the so-called dirt in West Virginia (mostly rocks) is nothing like the dirt in Maryland (mostly heavy clay), and I miss some of the interesting wildflowers I enjoyed finding as a child. We were technically suburban but really just a few years from being rural and nothing was built behind us; we roamed the woods daily and found Jack-in-the-pulpits, lady's slippers, and other wildflowers I've not seen since. There was a kind of airy vine that might have been mistletoe but wasn't, and a super low-growing thing with berries my mom called partridge berry but probably wasn't. Here we have a cute plant called spotted wintergreen, but that's about it. Even the burrs I was endlessly taking off my socks as a kid don't grow here. We have to treat our flower bulbs almost as if they are annuals, as they get no nourishment from the soil and the trees steal the bulb fertilizer. 

Maggie Ann

« Reply #778 on: December 05, 2022, 02:03:46 AM »

I remember, too, and I miss the scent and taste of honeysuckle.

Vijaya

« Reply #779 on: December 05, 2022, 02:06:57 AM »

:heart:

Jan Hurst-Nicholson

• Epic Novel unlocked
    • Just4kix Books
« Reply #780 on: February 14, 2023, 01:43:53 AM »
My partner feeds polony or similar to the woolly-necked storks outside his cottage. Yesterday it followed him to my cottage and stood at the kitchen door until I gave it a bit of chicken. Today it followed him and had the sense to fly into the front garden as we were sitting on the veranda. I've no idea how it knew we were there. I went inside to look in the fridge for something to feed it and it followed me inside. I eventually gave it some cat food, which it loved. There is now an extra item on my shopping list😛

Vijaya

« Reply #781 on: February 14, 2023, 01:48:00 AM »
That's hilarious, Jan. Looks like it could be a springboard for a fun children's story.

Jan Hurst-Nicholson

• Epic Novel unlocked
    • Just4kix Books
« Reply #782 on: February 14, 2023, 03:56:17 AM »
That's hilarious, Jan. Looks like it could be a springboard for a fun children's story.

Just discovered the stork also went to my neighbour asking for food. She gave him some cheese that he took from her hand. Stork is becoming cheeky  :icon_rolleyes:
Might be an idea for a story.  :)

Vijaya

« Reply #783 on: February 14, 2023, 05:34:23 AM »
lol Jan. I hope you do write the story that's beginning to brew. Your stork reminds me of a stray cat who made the rounds around the neighborhood and was overfed!

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #784 on: February 14, 2023, 11:34:18 AM »

LilyBLily

« Reply #785 on: February 14, 2023, 02:50:39 PM »
For when you get tired of feeding the stork:

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-1999-nov-21-fo-35826-story.html

:ices_angel_g:

Probably more fun wandering around panhandling than in a roasting pan.

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #786 on: February 14, 2023, 06:35:44 PM »
For when you get tired of feeding the stork:

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-1999-nov-21-fo-35826-story.html

:ices_angel_g:

Probably more fun wandering around panhandling than in a roasting pan.

Probably right.

Makes me wonder, though, how many wild critters a stork would have to evade on a daily basis just to survive.  Hungry baboons, venomous snakes, and so on.  When I was there, the baboons creeped me out, and the prospect of encountering a puff adder wasn't an appealing one.

Jan Hurst-Nicholson

• Epic Novel unlocked
    • Just4kix Books
« Reply #787 on: February 14, 2023, 11:14:43 PM »

[/quote]

Makes me wonder, though, how many wild critters a stork would have to evade on a daily basis just to survive.  Hungry baboons, venomous snakes, and so on.  When I was there, the baboons creeped me out, and the prospect of encountering a puff adder wasn't an appealing one.
[/quote]

We don't get baboons in Durban, just vervet monkeys, which are much smaller, but still a nuisance if you're growing fruit or veg. They can be quite entertaining if you're not busy chasing them off. We seem to get mostly harmless bush snakes here, which the storks catch and eat if they get the opportunity. But they don't need to bother if we all feed them  :icon_rolleyes:

The following users thanked this post: Jeff Tanyard

Jan Hurst-Nicholson

• Epic Novel unlocked
    • Just4kix Books
« Reply #788 on: February 22, 2023, 05:46:22 AM »
I put a pineapple top in a plant pot about 3 yrs ago. Left it very much to its own devices. It has now born fruit. Wondering how long it will take to fully ripen. I think it was a queen pineapple. Don't know if pineapples are attractive to the monkeys, but the leaves have tiny sharp thorn-like bristles that have to be picked from fingers with tweezers  :icon_rolleyes:

Maggie Ann

« Reply #789 on: February 22, 2023, 07:03:44 AM »
Aw, Jan, cute little baby pineapple. My daughter has grown several.

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #790 on: March 08, 2023, 03:08:03 PM »
Spring has sprung here.  It's about six weeks too early, so there's a fair chance of a killing frost sometime between now and, say, late April.  Fingers crossed that it doesn't happen.

Azaleas have started to bloom and bumblebees are visiting their flowers, and that's always fun to watch.

The first of the bearded irises have bloomed.

Seeing more bugs in general.

Found a snake in the garage the other day, so the reptiles have apparently awakened from their winter slumber.

Lots of yard work to do.  I try to do some of this stuff during the winter so I don't have to deal with the bugs, but winter was rainy and short this year, so I ran out of time.

Jan Hurst-Nicholson

• Epic Novel unlocked
    • Just4kix Books
« Reply #791 on: March 31, 2023, 01:29:05 AM »
My neighbour's ponytail palm is in bloom again. I took the pic as the light was fading. Will have to take a better one when the blooms are fully open.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #792 on: March 31, 2023, 04:23:48 AM »
It's beautiful already. Can't wait to see when it's in full bloom.

Vijaya

« Reply #793 on: March 31, 2023, 09:49:52 AM »
It's a veritable fairy garden. So pretty!

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #794 on: March 31, 2023, 05:00:55 PM »
Jan, your country has some enviable flora.

Here, I saw the first hummingbird of the season this week.  Some of the new plant growth turned black when the cold snap hit--as I feared it would in my previous post--so spring this year is going to be pretty blah.  The dogwood flowers were kind of stunted, and the azaleas seem confused about whether to bloom or not.

I still have hope for the bearded irises.  A few have already bloomed and faded, but most haven't, so they might turn out okay.

Jan Hurst-Nicholson

• Epic Novel unlocked
    • Just4kix Books
« Reply #795 on: March 31, 2023, 06:14:03 PM »
Jan, your country has some enviable flora.

Here, I saw the first hummingbird of the season this week.  Some of the new plant growth turned black when the cold snap hit--as I feared it would in my previous post--so spring this year is going to be pretty blah.  The dogwood flowers were kind of stunted, and the azaleas seem confused about whether to bloom or not.

I still have hope for the bearded irises.  A few have already bloomed and faded, but most haven't, so they might turn out okay.

Yes, we are fortunate to be in a sub-tropical climate. We are constantly cutting back common orchids, many types of bromeliads, cacti etc. and pulling out jatropha and other plants that are quite costly at nurseries. Lots of plant swapping goes on and we have to inform new residents not to buy any plants until they have seen what is available.  :)

Lovely for you to see humming birds. Our woolly-necked storks are getting over-fed. They  are visiting so many residents and knocking on doors asking for food. They are quite amusing as they stroll around from door to door trying their luck.  Grin

Jan Hurst-Nicholson

• Epic Novel unlocked
    • Just4kix Books
« Reply #796 on: April 03, 2023, 07:53:37 PM »
Ponytail palm now in full bloom and looking spectacular. We have others in the retirement village that are in bloom, but this is by far the biggest. Mine is still in a pot in the garden.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #797 on: April 04, 2023, 11:17:35 AM »
Just beautiful. I imagine they will grow very well in my area.

LilyBLily

« Reply #798 on: April 04, 2023, 11:53:39 AM »
Very dramatic. One thing I love about visiting other climates is seeing all the blossoming trees. The flowers, too, but so many have been imported here that they aren't quite the novelty they once would have been.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #799 on: April 21, 2023, 07:37:39 AM »
Is it a cucumber? Is it a cantaloupe? Is it a watermelon?