Author Topic: KDP paying early for December sales?  (Read 1265 times)

GlynnJames

KDP paying early for December sales?
« on: January 31, 2021, 07:50:08 PM »
I've just been paid by KDP twice within two days, first for December sales, then (according to the reports) Novembers sales (yes December paid two days BEFORE November)

Anyone else have this happen?
Because of inflation, a picture is now only worth 972 words...

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
  • Earth Galaxy core, 2618
    • The Hunter Imperium Universe
Re: KDP paying early for December sales?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2021, 07:57:08 PM »
They sometimes do pay a few days early.

But the Dec payment wasn't for December.

I had an email about them doing an audit and finding unpaid KU reads on my books. The second set of payments was for those.

I've no idea what the December reports will really look like, though. Someone didn't think that through, or maybe they paid them at the wrong time or something.

Hard to know what was going on with the KU reads. But it could be possible they were stripped during a scam investigation, and subsequently found to be legitimate reads. But I'm guessing.

In my case, it was a significant amount.
Genres: Space Opera/Fantasy/Cyberpunk, with elements of LitRPG and GameLit, with a touch of the Supernatural. Also Spiritual and Games.

Timothy Ellis Kindle Author page. | Join the Hunter Legacy mailing list | The Hunter Imperium Universe on Facebook. | Forum Promo Page.

GlynnJames

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2021, 08:00:13 PM »
It was a hugely significant amount for me - only just less than the full month for November!
I'll have to hunt and see if I as sent an email and missed it because if that is the case then it's like a late xmas present.

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2021, 08:02:43 PM »
I wasn't expecting it to be paid for at least another month. Then I got more payments than I expected.
Genres: Space Opera/Fantasy/Cyberpunk, with elements of LitRPG and GameLit, with a touch of the Supernatural. Also Spiritual and Games.

Timothy Ellis Kindle Author page. | Join the Hunter Legacy mailing list | The Hunter Imperium Universe on Facebook. | Forum Promo Page.

GlynnJames

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2021, 08:04:19 PM »
I just looked and the sales data doesn't include splits for print/ebook/kenp sales so it may well be what you suggested.
I never received an email, though.

GlynnJames

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2021, 08:08:40 PM »
Actually, as nice as it may be to receive the extra, I have to pay some other authors for sales of co-written books. With nothing in the reports I'm not sure how I can even figure the amounts out! I would imagine this is going to be the same for anyone who has published co-written stuff (or bundles etc)

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2021, 08:25:35 PM »
I have the same problem.

They decided to simplify the payments and called them sales. No breakdown by books.

There is nothing you can really do about it.

If you can figure out an average % for each co-author per month, you could work out something. But there is no real continuity of an average for mine.

It's also not a significant amount worth trying to figure out in my case.

cecilia_writer

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2021, 10:22:05 PM »
I've had a couple of odd things in the kdp reports lately - once I noticed the 'beta' report and the original one were showing quite different numbers and another time I had an inexplicable surge in sales for one particular day, so I'm not entirely surprised they sometimes have to do a catch-up. I've also got 2 sets of payments currently winging their way into the bank, but haven't had any explanation from them.
Cecilia Peartree - Woman of Mystery

Riven

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2021, 10:37:59 PM »
I queried this with Amazon. Like Tim, I was told they were for KENP page reads found during an audit. They've attributed them to December sales but added them to January's royalty reports.

The following users thanked this post: Wonder

JackT

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2021, 11:12:34 PM »
I received a few extra payments as well and I haven't been in KU for two years!

(Only small amounts, mind.)

LilyBLily

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2021, 01:49:39 AM »
One of my extra payments was for 22 cents.

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2021, 01:51:22 AM »
One of my extra payments was for 22 cents.

I get a couple of those every month.  Grin