Author Topic: My kid want a digital art device  (Read 1520 times)

notthatamanda

My kid want a digital art device
« on: April 22, 2021, 09:34:04 AM »
Saved up for it with their own money. Wants something with a pen where you can draw on a tablet. There is the option of an iPad and Procreate. Is there anything available for a Samsung/Android option that will do the same kind of thing? I have no experience with this stuff. All comments welcome.

Post-Crisis D

Re: My kid want a digital art device
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2021, 09:43:04 AM »
Wacom also has devices available.  You can create your art on them and then transfer to Mac or PC.  Of course, you can do the same with an iPad and the prices are comparable.
Mulder: "If you're distracted by fear of those around you, it keeps you from seeing the actions of those above."
The X-Files: "Blood"

The following users thanked this post: notthatamanda

Al Stevens

• Medium Novel unlocked
  • Coffee-drinking, insomniac binge writer
    • Al Stevens, Author, Musician
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2021, 10:45:59 AM »
I use a Surface Pro with its pen for drawings. Besides being a tablet device it's also a full-featured Windows 10 computer. I like that I can disconnect the keyboard and it turns from a notebook computer into a tablet device.

PJ Post

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2021, 12:38:52 AM »
I've used Wacom tablets for years. Currently, I'm using an older Cintiq 13 display. It's a professional, dedicated pen/art device - and it's absolutely amazing. They're a bit pricey for a passing interest, but if he's serious - they're totally worth it.

The Wacom One is a 13" 'entry-level' display, priced at $400.
The Wacom 16 is a Pro device going for $650.

Check YouTube reviews for real-life day to day user differences.

Also, these displays are just input devices, they require a computer to run the actual illustration software such as Photoshop. Check system requirements. I believe the One works with Android phones and mobile apps, which is pretty cool.

I should note that Wacom does have some less expensive competition, but I'm not familiar with these other companies. They seem to get decent reviews though, so they're probably worth investigating.

Al Stevens

• Medium Novel unlocked
  • Coffee-drinking, insomniac binge writer
    • Al Stevens, Author, Musician
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2021, 12:54:45 AM »
I have a Wacom device with which you touch the pen to the device as the image is drawn on the computer's monitor. I don't recommend this medium to anyone accustomed to having the image appear under the pen in real-time. Like with pen and paper.

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2021, 12:59:21 AM »
Also, what kind of drawing are they interested in doing?  Are they more interested in digital painting or illustration?

For painting, you'd probably want a tablet that's more targeted toward that type of art.  You might want the ability to use different tools.  For example, I have a brush that looks like an actual paintbrush except the bristles are made of the same material used in the rubber ends of touch pens.  It doesn't work with my iPad model, unfortunately, but is supposed to work on newer models.  Anyway, the point is that if I had a compatible model and I wanted to paint with a brush, I have a brush.  You can simulate a brush with a pen, of course, using the settings on the device, but if you want to use an actual brush, then I would have that option.

On the other hand, if they are more interested in illustration, then you want a tablet that supports vector art.  Something that will run Affinity Designer or Adobe Illustrator or similar.  Then, their art is all vectors which can be scaled without loss of resolution and it can also be more easily edited and so on.

Of course, many devices can do either, but if there's a preference, you'd be best served by looking for devices that best support that type of art.
Mulder: "If you're distracted by fear of those around you, it keeps you from seeing the actions of those above."

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2021, 01:09:58 AM »
I have a Wacom device with which you touch the pen to the device as the image is drawn on the computer's monitor. I don't recommend this medium to anyone accustomed to having the image appear under the pen in real-time. Like with pen and paper.

Wacom has both types available.

My Wacom is like yours, where what you draw on the pad shows up on the computer screen.  The Wacom device itself has no display; it's just a black pad.

If you can draw with a mouse or a trackpad, you can do so with a Wacom.  I had a Wacom device years ago and I ended up using it for a couple weeks or so and then that's it.  It seemed too hard to get used to using it.  However, I bought a new model last year.  This time, I followed advice I saw from other users.  Use the Wacom instead of your mouse or trackpad.  Not just when you are drawing but all the time.  It establishes muscle memory.

I prefer the Wacom now.  The computer is a newer MacBook and I hate the trackpad.  I have a trackpad on my old MacBook Pro and it's fine.  But the one on the newer MacBook where the button and the trackpad are the same bloody thing; it's a royal pain.  It's a stupid, stupid design.  You try to move something and, oops, you accidentally clicked when you didn't want to.  You just wanted to move something but the slightest pressure when moving your fingers and click!  Hate it.  Much easier with the Wacom.  And you totally get used to drawing on the pad while seeing it show up on the screen.  It's really not any different than drawing with a mouse or trackpad--the older type of trackpad, not the new stupid one.

PJ Post

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2021, 04:02:27 AM »
To clarify...

This is a Wacom pen tablet. I used two different ones over the years, both the cheapest ones Wacom sold at the time, and they were both fantastic. It is really weird at first, but you get used to the hand/screen thing quick enough. And like Post-Crisis, I abandoned my regular mouse and used it for everything.

This is the Wacom Cintiq pen display. The Cintiq functions as an additional display, so I'm back to a regular mouse and only use the pen tablet when I'm doing projects that require hand drawing. They really are amazing.

angela

• Short Novel unlocked
  • Indie publishing since 2011. Still kickin'.
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2021, 12:05:26 AM »
I got an iPad and apple pen for Christmas, and I am currently learning how to use Procreate and LOVE it.

My only recommendation is to get a matte screen cover. It makes the plastic iPad pen have a little traction, so it feels more like drawing on paper. I stared drawing right on the glass and hated it. The matte cover is *everything* in my opinion.

There are lots of great demos on youtube. You and your family could watch this one for a quick overview:
&t=601s

(That's also where I got the reco for the screen cover.)

Simon Haynes

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2021, 12:17:56 AM »
My daughters and I all use Wacom tablets connected to a PC.

I bought Affinity photo after someone on this forum mentioned it, but I also got Photoshop Elements with my wacom.

My eldest bought another Wacom where you draw directly on the screen.

If you do get a wacom, sellotape a trasparency sheet over the drawing surface to prevent it wearing out and destroying nibs.

sliderule

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2021, 10:28:11 PM »
I picked up a Kamvas that I'm giving a whirl.