Author Topic: A little help would really be appreciated  (Read 1799 times)

Dennis Chekalov

A little help would really be appreciated
« on: July 17, 2021, 08:44:08 PM »
What does Holmes say at 3:42?
"Let me play ??? Watson."
The Spanish subtitles say it's "villancico", "Christmas carol".

LilyBLily

Re: A little help would really be appreciated
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2021, 10:29:36 PM »
If he sends me cyanide I just won't take it. Let me play you a carol, Watson.

The following users thanked this post: Dennis Chekalov

Dennis Chekalov

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2021, 11:11:04 PM »
Thank you very much.
I thought he says the name of the song.

LilyBLily

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2021, 11:14:51 PM »
Since the opening bars are repeated as the maid brings in the flaming pudding, I do think it's a Christmas carol--but it's not one I recognize.

R. C.

• Epic Novel unlocked
  • "Sooner barbarity than boredom." - T. Gautier
    • R C Ducantlin - Writer of Stories
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2021, 11:47:41 PM »
LilyBLily is correct, the word is "carol."

More interestingly, does anyone want to join me to travel in devious channels?    :doh:

R.C.

Dennis Chekalov

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2022, 06:13:55 PM »
What does Watson say at 22:22?
The Spanish subtitles give only the first part of the line, "Yes, it wasn't bad."

notthatamanda

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2022, 08:54:56 PM »
"Even if I do say so myself."

Hi Dennis, nice to see you. Hope you are well. Amanda

Dennis Chekalov

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2022, 09:07:31 PM »
"Even if I do say so myself."

Thank you very much. Sometimes Holmes and Watson talk too fast for me.

Hi Dennis, nice to see you. Hope you are well. Amanda

Thanks! I hope things are also going well for you. :)

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2022, 05:01:09 AM »
Hey, Dennis!   :mhk9U91:

Sometimes Holmes and Watson talk too fast for me.

Thick accents can be tricky sometimes, too, for those of us who speak markedly different versions of the language.  There have been numerous times when I've had to turn on subtitles for a video even though they're speaking English.   :confused:
v  v  v  v  v    Short Stories    v  v  v  v  v    vv FREE! vv

Genres: Science Fiction, Fantasy (some day) | Author Website

Dennis Chekalov

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2023, 02:09:57 PM »

What food is he talking about? (18.11) I understood only "a cup of tea", but what was next?

The puppets talk about three different people called Sherlock Holmes (17.17).
The third is a famous detective.
The second is a famous pastry chef.
Who is the first one? What does the puppet say about him?
« Last Edit: July 05, 2023, 06:21:25 PM by Dennis Chekalov »

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2023, 05:00:56 AM »
What food is he talking about? (18.11) I understood only "a cup of tea", but what was next?

Some kind of egg, I think.

It sounds like he's saying the name of the female puppet, but that doesn't seem to make much sense in context, so I don't know.

This is a tough one, Dennis, and I'm afraid my American ear isn't up to the task of deciphering this stuff.

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2023, 05:43:33 AM »

"Have a cup of tea or a bacon and egg or a kipper or something, yes?"
Mulder: "If you're distracted by fear of those around you, it keeps you from seeing the actions of those above."
The X-Files: "Blood"

LilyBLily

« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2023, 06:08:02 AM »
Can't help you, Dennis, but I enjoyed going down the rabbit hole after the man who looked so much like Leslie Howard--and turned out to be his son.

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2023, 06:32:51 AM »

". . . former Judge Westlake.  ____ Sherlock Holmes.  Ever hear of him, Maribelle?"

The missing word is the one in question.  It rhymes with "Ned" but can't be sure if it's Ned or Ted or even Dead.  Hard to say if he's referring to a Ned/Ted Sherlock Holmes of unknown occupation and then the Mirabelle puppet says he's confusing him with the famous pastry chef, presumably also named Sherlock Holmes.

Or, is it not "Ned/Ted" but instead some occupation?
Mulder: "If you're distracted by fear of those around you, it keeps you from seeing the actions of those above."

Dennis Chekalov

« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2023, 12:05:19 PM »
Thank you very much everybody, it was very helpful!

"Have a cup of tea or a bacon and egg or a kipper or something, yes?"

Yes, a kipper, of course. I should have known it. «Kippers were the quintessential British breakfast food — also enjoyed for high tea and supper — of the Victorian and Edwardian eras.»

Or, is it not "Ned/Ted" but instead some occupation?

Maybe, the beginning of the phrase is missing. It happens a few times in this series.

It sounds like he's saying the name of the female puppet

Yes, Mirabelle, she is the puppeteer’s wife.

Can't help you, Dennis, but I enjoyed going down the rabbit hole after the man who looked so much like Leslie Howard--and turned out to be his son.

Leslie Howard, Gone with the Wind, Pygmalion, the golden age of cinema...

Dennis Chekalov

« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2023, 02:45:07 PM »
This one puzzles me a lot. The character promounces the word loud and clear, two times: 8:24 and 8:40. But I still don’t understand it.

The context: an anarchist goes to the chemist and buys ingredients for a thing anarchist usually make [not sure if I should write the word here]. He buys four ingredients. Three are obvious. But the second one sounds like “tolerine” or “totherin”. What can it be? Theoretically, it should be some “sorbents (such as powdered shells or clay), and stabilizers”.

And what does the girl say at 8:29? It doesn’t match the subtitles.

A short line, has no subtitles. 25:05 That's a difficult one. A former judge teaches Holmes to be a puppeteer. I can understand all his lines except this one.

« Last Edit: August 06, 2023, 02:49:08 PM by Dennis Chekalov »

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2023, 06:59:00 AM »
This one puzzles me a lot. The character promounces the word loud and clear, two times: 8:24 and 8:40. But I still don’t understand it.

Toluene, a component of TNT (which stands for trinitrotoluene).

And what does the girl say at 8:29? It doesn’t match the subtitles.

Gun cotton.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nitrocellulose

A short line, has no subtitles. 25:05 That's a difficult one.

I can't make it out at all.  Sorry.   :icon_sad:

Dennis Chekalov

« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2023, 10:32:54 PM »
Thank you very much! It was very helpful. With practice, I’m starting to understand fast speech better.

Sometimes, though, I do understand the words, but not the scene. For instance, in that episode, Dr. Watson says to the anarchist that he must stop his illegal activity. Left alone (18:07), the anachist says, “What? No more bombs? What am I to make, then? Paper bags filled with air, maybe?” Suddenly, he gets some brilliant idea. “Paper bags!” he repeats enthusiastically and returns to his work. This moment is emphasized by music, so it should mean something — some reference, a joke, an Eastern egg (it has nothing to do with the plot). Unfortunately, I didn’t understand that scene.

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2023, 01:30:20 AM »
A short line, has no subtitles. 25:05 That's a difficult one. A former judge teaches Holmes to be a puppeteer. I can understand all his lines except this one.

It looks like it intentionally trails off/fades out as the focus of the scene moves to the two men walking away.  If you're trying to do a transcript, you can probably transcribe the last bit you can make out and then use ". . ." to indicate the dialogue trails off.

LilyBLily

« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2023, 04:08:09 AM »
Thank you very much! It was very helpful. With practice, I’m starting to understand fast speech better.

Sometimes, though, I do understand the words, but not the scene. For instance, in that episode, Dr. Watson says to the anarchist that he must stop his illegal activity. Left alone (18:07), the anachist says, “What? No more bombs? What am I to make, then? Paper bags filled with air, maybe?” Suddenly, he gets some brilliant idea. “Paper bags!” he repeats enthusiastically and returns to his work. This moment is emphasized by music, so it should mean something — some reference, a joke, an Eastern egg (it has nothing to do with the plot). Unfortunately, I didn’t understand that scene.

It's possible that paper bags were new back then. And when did the ornate department store shopping bag begin? It used to cost a quarter unless one bought something.

I saw the first plastic bags in the UK in 1971, but the U.S. did not catch on to plastic for a few more years. Now some states have banned plastic bags.

Dennis Chekalov

« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2023, 01:56:00 PM »
Thank you very much!

It looks like it intentionally trails off/fades out as the focus of the scene moves to the two men walking away.

Yes, so it is. I just hoped to decipher it. Spoken English and fast spoken English sound very different, I try to learn how to understand it when I have time.

It's possible that paper bags were new back then.

Yes, maybe the original context is lost. It’s like His last bow. Originally, it was published in The Strand Magazine, and the audience didn’t know that it’s a Sherlock Holmes story. That’s why the ending was so unexpected. Now, when we know from the very beginning that it’s a story about Holmes, the original idea is lost.