Author Topic: New Freelance Editor!  (Read 1172 times)

ECelovsky

• Tag Line unlocked
New Freelance Editor!
« on: October 10, 2021, 06:13:21 AM »
Hello writers!
After years of editing for friends and family for free, I have decided to make them pay! I am starting my freelance editing business specializing in genre fiction. I have a couple projects under my belt (proofreading for Winter's Rage by Susan Calder, and developmental editing on an (as yet) unreleased project), but I'm still looking to get more experience. So I'm offering very affordable rates ($0.003/word for developmental editing, $0.002/word for copy editing, $0.001/word for proofreading) in order to get said experience.
You can find all my details and more at celovskyedits.ca
Thank you all for your time!

Edit: Changed the prices!
« Last Edit: October 11, 2021, 06:06:27 AM by ECelovsky »

idontknowyet

Re: New Freelance Editor!
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2021, 02:06:22 PM »
Are those typos for your newbie rates?

Because most/many experienced editors don't charge that much.  $2.4k for a developmental edit is really only affordable if you are a six figure author.

ECelovsky

• Tag Line unlocked
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2021, 11:48:03 PM »
Hi
I don't have a lot of experience with monetizing my work, so thanks for pointing out that my rates are unaffordable to most writers. I believe I picked those numbers after doing some online research, but if you have some concrete examples of editors I could use to pin my rates to, that would be super helpful!

idontknowyet

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2021, 12:12:16 AM »
You're welcome to look what other editors around here are charging. Remember there is a wide swath of experience from newbies like you to people with decades of experience and references.
You might also check with editor groups on facebook and talk to your peers.

ECelovsky

• Tag Line unlocked
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2021, 06:07:42 AM »
Okay, so after further research (and hemming and hawing), I've dropped the prices to be more in line with other editors here.

Wonder

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2021, 06:47:36 AM »
Hi Erin,

Congrats on the new biz. How would you define copy editing? I've seen editors define it differently, with some offering a basic spelling/grammar check, and others making suggestions to improve writing strength by changing up sentence structure or removing repetition.

Wonder

j tanner

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2021, 09:21:05 AM »
Your proofreading price is now in better alignment with the market. You may find some takers in this range. Best of luck.

ECelovsky

• Tag Line unlocked
Freelance Editor With Slots Open
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2022, 08:16:31 AM »
Hi! After finishing a couple projects over the Christmas holidays (and taking January for myself,) I'm back, and I have room in my schedule for more editing between now and the end of March. My rates have changed slightly to $0.025/word for developmental editing, $0.015/word for copy editing, and $0.0075/word for proofreading.

If you're interested, you can find me at https://celovskyedits.ca/ I hope to help you finish your book soon!

ECelovsky

• Tag Line unlocked
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2022, 07:00:49 AM »
Update: Still trying to find a good area for my rates! I've changed them (again) to $0.0105/word for developmental editing, $0.007/word for copy editing, and $0.0035/word for proofreading. If that's too much, too little, whatever, shoot me a line and we can try and work things out. Slots are available.

ECelovsky

• Tag Line unlocked
June/July Slots available!
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2022, 07:06:53 AM »
I have slots available for mid-June to mid July. If you're looking for an editor for your book, hit me up at www.celovskyedits.ca! Rates are the same as last time, but negotiable.

ECelovsky

• Tag Line unlocked
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2023, 05:12:16 AM »
New Year, new slots available! Find me at www.celovskyedits.ca