Author Topic: AUSTRALIAN writer's support thread  (Read 25490 times)

anpacker

AUSTRALIAN writer's support thread
« on: September 20, 2018, 08:01:02 PM »
Someone had to start this thread.  grint

I'm interested to hear about experiences with IngramSpark's Victorian-based print operations. You don't have to look hard to find some desperately unhappy customers out there. Am I right in assuming that isn't the norm?

Allan

Genre: Epic Fantasy

W.R. Gingell

Re: AUSTRALIAN writer's support thread
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2018, 08:13:41 PM »
Ugh, I still have to work out Ingram...

not enough time

not enough spoons

not enough...energy  :icon_cry:
G'day. My name is Pet. Well. I’m not exactly Pet. I AM a pet. Yeah, it's weird. But it's not WEIRD weird, you know?
W.R. Gingell | The WR(ite) Blog | W.R. Gingell Facebook

Simon Haynes

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2018, 08:26:51 PM »
I've never used Spark but I was a Lightning Source customer for several years. I only cancelled my account there in Jan or Feb, I think.

Downsides:

High cost of making changes to covers and interiors
Annual cost of having books in their system .. per book.

Upside:

They actually ship to aussie addresses.

I was happy with the quality and service, and I believe that by springing $150+ per annum for an indie author organisation I can get a code to cut fees, but honestly, I just don't need author copies badly enough to go through reworking 20-25 cover files, doing all the titles and descriptions again, plus allocating 25 of my precious 100 ISBNs because I already got them to move the last lot to KDP print in Feb.

Too much effort. Easier to stick with KDP and wait until they sort something out for aussies. My bet is they'll print here, but we'll see.

anpacker

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2018, 10:33:22 PM »
Thanks, Simon.  Great to hear that the quality and service was up to scratch.

So you're not providing the ISBN for your KDP print editions?  (I gather you can use the same ISBN for IS and KDP as long as it's your own.)

Simon Haynes

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2018, 10:40:51 PM »
Thanks, Simon.  Great to hear that the quality and service was up to scratch.

So you're not providing the ISBN for your KDP print editions?  (I gather you can use the same ISBN for IS and KDP as long as it's your own.)

I used to use the same ISBN for both. On KDP, distribution was Amazon only, and on LSI distribution was everywhere except the USA. (Something like that, it's a long time ago now. There was a book out which explained how to set it up.)
Anyway, when I wanted to update the covers and interiors for my 12 novels, I had to choose between paying LSI $1200 or dumping them and transferring to Createspace for everything. To be fair, LSI offered to move me to Spark, but it meant filling out all my account details again, and I'd had enough by then. If they'd been able to move it all across I'd have stayed with them.

Shane Jeffery

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2018, 10:46:34 PM »
Just wanted to come in and say hi to all the Aussies who have migrated here. Really excited for this new board and hopefully we can build a "local" community in this thread too  :icon_mrgreen:

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
  • Earth Galaxy core, 2618
    • The Hunter Imperium Universe
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2018, 11:40:09 PM »
I've put a small guide to Australian Authors Tax here: https://writersanctum.com/index.php?topic=136.new#new
Genres: Space Opera/Fantasy/Cyberpunk, with elements of LitRPG and GameLit, with a touch of the Supernatural. Also Spiritual and Games.

Timothy Ellis Kindle Author page. | Join the Hunter Legacy mailing list | The Hunter Imperium Universe on Facebook. | Forum Promo Page.

The following users thanked this post: JustZoe

Simon Haynes

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2018, 05:05:56 AM »
I'm in the process of setting up a vendor account to publish direct with B&N, and I duly submitted my W8BEN, all filled out correctly as per every other US entity I've had to deal with.

They just wrote back and told me I hadn't filled out the section under line 10.

I wrote back and explained that the section under line 10 is used when you're applying for a rate *other than* the one specified in the treaty between the US and the nation mentioned in line 9. In other words, 5% is the rate, and I'm applying for that rate, so we're good. Line 10 remains blank.

From the IRS website:

Line 10 must be used only if you are claiming treaty benefits that require that you meet conditions not covered by the representations you make on line 9 and Part III.

I mean, I'll happily write numbers in the boxes for them, but I'm 100% certain they've got it wrong.  In Line 10 you even have to explain why you qualify for the specific rate you're asking for. (ie. why you're not settling for the 5%)

Maybe I should put 0% and say taxes suck. That would be a really nifty idea.

I know they only just opened the doors to Australians, but weren't UK people already dealing with them? Is this one staffer who thought 'oh look, empty boxes', or do they get everyone to fill out a section of the form which is supposed to be left blank?

I'm sure I won't be hearing the last of this, so I'll post here in case anyone else is thinking of going direct, or has already dealt with this. There is no way a big company like B&N is going to take the word of an author on a tax matter.

A. N. Onymous

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2018, 08:05:56 AM »

Too much effort. Easier to stick with KDP and wait until they sort something out for aussies. My bet is they'll print here, but we'll see.

I would do the same but for one factor...my only paperback sales come from locally sold books. Without the ability to receive author copies at a reasonable cost, I am stuffed. No one is going to spend the $30 + for a paperback through the expanded distribution option, the only option available for Australian purchasers. I definitely have no choice than to go through IS if I want stocks of my books to sell. Lulu, besides being a tad expensive, does not offer the 6 x 9 option for a paperback, so I do not want to go back in and redo my MSs for different sizes. So, while I am also waiting for KDP to get real for Aussies, I am not holding my breath. I will eventually move everything over to IS during a promotion period and after I have purchased my own ISBNs.

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2018, 02:43:05 PM »
I'm not Australian.  I've never even been to Australia.  But some of my interwebz friends are Aussies, including our esteemed host, so consider me a fan of the continent and its folks.   :kiss: :grouphug:

Also, Slim Dusty was a cool dude.   :icon_mrgreen:
v  v  v  v  v    Short Stories    v  v  v  v  v    vv FREE! vv

Genres: Science Fiction, Fantasy (some day) | Author Website

Moth

• Zombie Reader
  • Tag Line unlocked
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2018, 06:07:27 PM »
*sticks head in*

:mhk9U91:

I lurked a lot at the other forum and am using the creation of this lovely shiny new forum to push myself out of my shell and actually post. Hi! Grin

M R M

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2018, 06:31:50 PM »
*WAVES* Hi guys
(____________ F A N T A S Y ____________) (____________S C I E N C E   F I C T I O N ____________)

Australian Science Fiction and Fantasy Author M R Mortimer
| Author Web Site | Facebook Page | Twitter Page | Fantasy Series

Simon Haynes

« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2018, 06:33:49 PM »
To keep B&N happy I had to specify the following in Line 10 of the W8BEN:

Article and Paragraph of the treaty: 12.2  (Australia only. Other countries vary!)
Withholding rate: 5%
Type of income: Royalty
Reason: 'Australian Citizen and Resident' is what I put.

« Last Edit: September 23, 2018, 02:11:21 PM by Simon Haynes »

The following users thanked this post: JustZoe, djmills

anpacker

« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2018, 11:11:22 PM »
*sticks head in*

I lurked a lot at the other forum and am using the creation of this lovely shiny new forum to push myself out of my shell and actually post. Hi! Grin

Ditto. Hi.  Grin

JustZoe

• Tag Line unlocked
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2018, 08:12:05 AM »
I was another lurker at the other forum, but thought I'd say hi here.

I've been stubbornly avoiding print publishing of any kind. I'm still a fledgling when it comes to publishing and I don't think I'd sell enough at the moment to justify the hassle of getting over the learning hump.

« Last Edit: September 23, 2018, 08:39:03 AM by JustZoe »

JustZoe

• Tag Line unlocked
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2018, 08:18:03 AM »

12.2 is the relevant para/line of the tax treaty
5% is the rate
'Australian Citizen and Resident' is what I put under the 'why'.

Thanks for sharing that. A vendor account with B&N is on my to do list.

(A bookmark thingy would be so handy so I can come back to this when I'm ready.)

Leo

« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2018, 08:26:32 AM »
 :mhk9U91: hi and welcome to all our newbie Aussie members. I'm in Canberra, it's just starting to warm up here. One would think that with all the bs in Canberra we'd have had an early Spring but sadly our politicians are just p_ss and wind.

On the IngramSparks front, I've had an account with them for a year and am extremely satisfied with their product and service. If you are a member of the Alliance of Independent Authors (ALLi) you can upload and change your inner and outer for free. I highly recommend them.

Maybe we should ask them to provide members here with the same free service? I might ask and get back to you guys on that front.
Post-apocalypse or epic fantasy anyone?
Or perhaps tarot and astrology are more up your alley?

anpacker

« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2018, 09:18:16 AM »
:mhk9U91: hi and welcome to all our newbie Aussie members. I'm in Canberra, it's just starting to warm up here. One would think that with all the bs in Canberra we'd have had an early Spring but sadly our politicians are just p_ss and wind.

On the IngramSparks front, I've had an account with them for a year and am extremely satisfied with their product and service. If you are a member of the Alliance of Independent Authors (ALLi) you can upload and change your inner and outer for free. I highly recommend them.

Maybe we should ask them to provide members here with the same free service? I might ask and get back to you guys on that front.

Thanks for the feedback, Leo.  Good to hear that it's working with IngramSpark.

I checked out both ALLi and Independent Book Publishers Association, who apparently have the same arrangement (https://www.ingramspark.com/lp/ibpa). Not sure which is better (the latter seems slightly cheaper based on the current exchange rate). It's definitely worth asking what it would take for members here as well.

I'm in Adelaide. Haven't published yet. My first book (epic fantasy) is currently undergoing final proofreading.

Allan

ashleycapes

• Short Novel unlocked
  • My neighbors think my name is Emily Goldfinch
    • Website
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2018, 10:27:02 AM »
Hi again - I'm just doing a quick introduction post [same one as I recently did at KB] :)

I'm Ashley (from Victoria) and I'm writing and publishing spec fic and poetry. I'm also hoping to post a call for entries soon - it's a promo called OZtober aimed at showcasing Australian writers of speculative fiction.

But more on that later, just wanted to say 'hi' and looking forward to spending time here!

Ashley

Ashley Capes | website

Leo

« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2018, 12:47:18 PM »
Thanks for the feedback, Leo.  Good to hear that it's working with IngramSpark.

I checked out both ALLi and Independent Book Publishers Association, who apparently have the same arrangement (https://www.ingramspark.com/lp/ibpa). Not sure which is better (the latter seems slightly cheaper based on the current exchange rate). It's definitely worth asking what it would take for members here as well.

I'm in Adelaide. Haven't published yet. My first book (epic fantasy) is currently undergoing final proofreading.

Allan

Good luck with your book, Allan, you're in good company with epic fantasy. I'll email them tomorrow, Monday, and keep everyone informed.

Hi Ashley, don't forget to post your promo's here too, we've a small but growing bunch of Aussie authors.

ashleycapes

• Short Novel unlocked
    • Website
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2018, 12:50:39 PM »
Hi Ashley, don't forget to post your promo's here too, we've a small but growing bunch of Aussie authors.

Hi Leo!
Great idea, will do that ASAP :)

Ashley Capes | website

CarlieHamilton

« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2018, 02:01:23 PM »
Hi all, I'm new 'round these parts, but thought I'd pop in and say hi.
 I'm in Brisbane, and I'm writing epic fantasy. :)

Simon Haynes

« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2018, 02:12:56 PM »

12.2 is the relevant para/line of the tax treaty
5% is the rate
'Australian Citizen and Resident' is what I put under the 'why'.

Thanks for sharing that. A vendor account with B&N is on my to do list.

(A bookmark thingy would be so handy so I can come back to this when I'm ready.)

I just updated the post I made, and it now includes the 'reason' field too (which is 'Royalty')

To get a bookmark to a post, just click the thread title for that post, then bookmark the subsequent browser page.

e.g. mine is

https://writersanctum.com/index.php?topic=124.msg2328#msg2328

The following users thanked this post: JustZoe

JustZoe

• Tag Line unlocked
« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2018, 02:34:03 PM »

I just updated the post I made, and it now includes the 'reason' field too (which is 'Royalty')

To get a bookmark to a post, just click the thread title for that post, then bookmark the subsequent browser page.

e.g. mine is

https://writersanctum.com/index.php?topic=124.msg2328#msg2328

Cool. Thank you for the info and for the tip on how to bookmark!

ashleycapes

• Short Novel unlocked
    • Website
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2018, 03:05:39 PM »

I'm interested to hear about experiences with IngramSpark's Victorian-based print operations. You don't have to look hard to find some desperately unhappy customers out there. Am I right in assuming that isn't the norm?

Allan

Hi Allan,

I've been using IngramSpark for about 4 years and have been very happy thus far, top notch customer service and high quality printing. I have noticed a few price raises recently, which is a shame, but as I'm in Vic myself, it makes shipping and printing about 1000% cheaper than using CS etc

Lulu are supposed to be pretty good too but I've never used them personally.

(Of course, I'm only 1 chap - those bad reviews must be bad for a reason, I've just never had any trouble)

Ashley Capes | website

Lee Carlon

« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2018, 03:50:17 PM »

Same. New, Brisbane, epic fantasy :)

The following users thanked this post: CarlieHamilton

Lee Carlon

« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2018, 03:52:33 PM »

Article and Paragraph of the treaty: 12.2  (Australia only. Other countries vary!)

Aww man. I did mine earlier this week, I put 10% (I thought it was 10, but you're right it's 5). I doubt they'd actually collect 10%, but I think I'll send them an updated form all the same.

Thanks, Simon!

Simon Haynes

« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2018, 04:15:54 PM »

Aww man. I did mine earlier this week, I put 10% (I thought it was 10, but you're right it's 5). I doubt they'd actually collect 10%, but I think I'll send them an updated form all the same.

Thanks, Simon!

Good to see you here!

If you manage to sort out my Apple GST issue, that's more than thanks enough!

ashleycapes

• Short Novel unlocked
    • Website
« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2018, 04:34:12 PM »

Welcome from another new member!

Ashley Capes | website

The following users thanked this post: CarlieHamilton

Erron

« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2018, 04:38:13 PM »
Think my earlier post went MIA, so here it is again:

Hi, I am another Aussie, living in Melbourne. I write fantasy and have written poetry in the past. I have my first novel in what I would like to think is the final stages prior to publication. I also lurked on the other forum, and was about to post when everything went pear-shaped. I will try to be more active here, although it's debatable what I can add, given the experience of others.

Erron

Leo

« Reply #30 on: September 23, 2018, 05:17:25 PM »

Hi, I am another Aussie, living in Melbourne. I write fantasy and have written poetry in the past. I have my first novel in what I would like to think is the final stages prior to publication. I also lurked on the other forum, and was about to post when everything went pear-shaped. I will try to be more active here, although it's debatable what I can add, given the experience of others.

Erron

Hi Erron, I was like you on KB, I lurked because I had little to say. But it's a new board and new people even though they are mostly KB refugees. I think you and I may feel more comfortable on Tim's forum so please, post away.  Make sure you check the forum's regarding your launch, going wide and managing things, ask lots of questions because publishing a fantasy novel is going to be both challenging and a real pleasure. Good luck and stick around.

The following users thanked this post: Erron

Erron

« Reply #31 on: September 23, 2018, 06:16:50 PM »

Erron

Thanks Leo, will do...

Hi Erron, I was like you on KB, I lurked because I had little to say. But it's a new board and new people even though they are mostly KB refugees. I think you and I may feel more comfortable on Tim's forum so please, post away.  Make sure you check the forum's regarding your launch, going wide and managing things, ask lots of questions because publishing a fantasy novel is going to be both challenging and a real pleasure. Good luck and stick around.

anpacker

« Reply #32 on: September 23, 2018, 06:38:29 PM »

Allan

Hi Allan,

I've been using IngramSpark for about 4 years and have been very happy thus far, top notch customer service and high quality printing. I have noticed a few price raises recently, which is a shame, but as I'm in Vic myself, it makes shipping and printing about 1000% cheaper than using CS etc

Lulu are supposed to be pretty good too but I've never used them personally.

(Of course, I'm only 1 chap - those bad reviews must be bad for a reason, I've just never had any trouble)

Thanks, Ashley.  It seems like most people have had good experiences.  Hopefully I will, too.  Grin

Allan
« Last Edit: September 23, 2018, 06:52:12 PM by anpacker »

The Bass Bagwhan

« Reply #33 on: September 23, 2018, 11:43:23 PM »
Hey everyone, I've been self-publishing about six years now following a mid-list trad' publishing career of horror and crime through the likes of Pan Macmillan and such. I use an anonymous user name and avatar only because I do a lot of freelance editing these days and I'd never, ever want one of my clients to mistakenly think that any forum post by me refers to their MS ... I'd never do that. But the avatar adds that further layer of distance.

As for Slim Dusty, I was a performing arts technician for twenty years and worked with him several times. He was indeed a very cool dude. But I'll never forget a time he was studying merchandise backstage, looking to sign stuff, and he took off his hat ... and turned into a wizened, 75 year old man in that instant. Don't get me started on Billy Thorpe...

Leo

« Reply #34 on: September 24, 2018, 06:59:57 AM »
Hey everyone, I've been self-publishing about six years now following a mid-list trad' publishing career of horror and crime through the likes of Pan Macmillan and such. I use an anonymous user name and avatar only because I do a lot of freelance editing these days and I'd never, ever want one of my clients to mistakenly think that any forum post by me refers to their MS ... I'd never do that. But the avatar adds that further layer of distance.

As for Slim Dusty, I was a performing arts technician for twenty years and worked with him several times. He was indeed a very cool dude. But I'll never forget a time he was studying merchandise backstage, looking to sign stuff, and he took off his hat ... and turned into a wizened, 75 year old man in that instant. Don't get me started on Billy Thorpe...

Hey Bass, I saw your other posts and am glad you are here on the new forum. Did you see my thread on audiobooks? It's in the audio forum, I'm not sure if you've posted there yet. Take care, mate.

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #35 on: September 24, 2018, 07:04:53 AM »
As for Slim Dusty, I was a performing arts technician for twenty years and worked with him several times.

That's pretty cool.   :icon_cool:
v  v  v  v  v    Short Stories    v  v  v  v  v    vv FREE! vv

Genres: Science Fiction, Fantasy (some day) | Author Website

Carleton Chinner

« Reply #36 on: September 24, 2018, 09:28:36 AM »
Hello everyone,

Yet another refugee from the place that shall not be named.

I'm Carleton from Brisbane and I write hard near-future science fiction.

Carleton ChinnerElectronic Allegorist

Captain Cranky

« Reply #37 on: September 24, 2018, 03:17:41 PM »
Just popping my head in as another one of those trying to come out of their shell a little. I haven't published quite yet but I'm Australian and a writer so.... :Tup3a:

I'm in NSW, and I'm writing supernatural suspense and urban fantasy. I have some sci-fi planned further down the track too.  grint
If you dare nothing, then when the day is over nothing is all you will have gained. -Neil Gaiman

Simon Haynes

« Reply #38 on: September 24, 2018, 03:50:45 PM »
Welcome all!

ashleycapes

• Short Novel unlocked
    • Website
« Reply #39 on: September 26, 2018, 11:13:39 AM »
Meant to do this a few days ago but I've been swamped, but there's a thread for a promo that I wanted to share, aimed at Australian writers if anyone wanted to check it out:
https://writersanctum.com/index.php?topic=264.msg3038#msg3038

Ashley Capes | website

Moth

• Zombie Reader
  • Tag Line unlocked
« Reply #40 on: September 26, 2018, 05:17:28 PM »
*sticks head in*

Ditto. Hi.  Grin

Great to meet you, and all the other fine folks in this thread too.

BlueWren

« Reply #41 on: September 26, 2018, 10:26:26 PM »
I apparently forgot to introduce myself! But I am here, and Australian.  :icon_lol:  Hi all!

ashleycapes

• Short Novel unlocked
    • Website
« Reply #42 on: September 27, 2018, 09:31:22 AM »
Hey!

Ashley Capes | website

Leo

« Reply #43 on: September 27, 2018, 12:00:22 PM »
I apparently forgot to introduce myself! But I am here, and Australian.  :icon_lol:  Hi all!
Hello everyone,

Yet another refugee from the place that shall not be named.

I'm Carleton from Brisbane and I write hard near-future science fiction.
from Brisbane and I write hard near-future science fiction.
[/quote]

Welcome to our new abode :)

Carleton Chinner

« Reply #44 on: October 03, 2018, 03:44:07 PM »
Just got back from Conflux in Canberra and it was fabulous. I can highly recommend this convention for writers of spec fic.
I'm so pumped up to write better pieces and be more productive.

There were any number of amazing talks on craft in the formal sessions, but the highlight for me was the social get-togethers.  I met some of Australia's great horror and scifi writers who were unbelievably friendly and accommodating to a complete unknown like me.

And then there was having my own work on a table with all the big names.

« Last Edit: October 03, 2018, 03:51:24 PM by Carleton Chinner »

Carleton ChinnerElectronic Allegorist

Angela Haddon

« Reply #45 on: October 03, 2018, 03:59:39 PM »
Hi everyone!!! I'm not a writer, but I AM Australian, so hopefully that counts!
 :banana-riding-llama-smiley-em

Book Cover Designer | Website | Facebook | Writer Sanctum Thread

The following users thanked this post: Simon Haynes, Captain Cranky

Leo

« Reply #46 on: October 04, 2018, 06:04:42 AM »
Hi everyone!!! I'm not a writer, but I AM Australian, so hopefully that counts!
 :banana-riding-llama-smiley-em

Hi Angela, you are most welcome to join us :)

The following users thanked this post: Angela Haddon

JB Rowley

« Reply #47 on: October 05, 2018, 11:58:29 AM »
Hi everyone. Great to see the Aussie thread is alive and kicking over here.

I'm looking for feedback from others who have published paperbacks with KDP and/or transferred books from Createspace.

I've been told by KDP that it 'typically' takes 30 days for the paperback edition to be available on the Australian Global store  "but additionally there are a few criteria that come into picture that decide whether or not a book should be made available in the Australian site. That being said, because there are many things that come into the criteria we can't exactly specify what they are." Excuse me! :help

Anyone else been told this?

LMareeApps

« Reply #48 on: October 05, 2018, 12:38:08 PM »
Hi everyone. Great to see the Aussie thread is alive and kicking over here.

I'm looking for feedback from others who have published paperbacks with KDP and/or transferred books from Createspace.

I've been told by KDP that it 'typically' takes 30 days for the paperback edition to be available on the Australian Global store  "but additionally there are a few criteria that come into picture that decide whether or not a book should be made available in the Australian site. That being said, because there are many things that come into the criteria we can't exactly specify what they are." Excuse me! :help

Anyone else been told this?

I have never spoken to them about books being in the Global store, but I just looked up mine out of curiosity. It was there (it's a 74 page Erotica, so I'm not sure what their criteria are, but I obviously passed them).  The books is US$7.99 which comes through as AU$12.53 with $10.95 postage.  $23.50ish for a 74 page Erotica is likely going to be enough to stop any sales.  (I actually thought $7.99 would stop sales as I only created the book to learn the process, but I do get the occasional sale on it, so there you go!)
Genres: Romance and Erotica

JB Rowley

« Reply #49 on: October 05, 2018, 02:54:53 PM »

Thanks for your feedback, LMareeApps . :Tup2: