Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 64515 times)

Jeff Tanyard

Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #250 on: September 26, 2019, 04:38:18 PM »
That photo is meme-worthy.   :icon_mrgreen:
v  v  v  v  v    Short Stories    v  v  v  v  v    vv FREE! vv

Genres: Science Fiction, Fantasy (some day) | Author Website

Michelle Louring

• Novella unlocked
  • The owl is pure evil. Don't let him fool you.
« Reply #251 on: September 26, 2019, 04:54:09 PM »
That photo is meme-worthy.   :icon_mrgreen:

I started taking pictures of my owl with the books I read this year (everyone needs a hobby, right...?) and there have been some great ones, simply because that feathery little beast always looks so murderous  grint

Crazy owl lady. I also occasionally write Fantasy books, but the owl is really all anyone cares about.

https://michellelouring.com/

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #252 on: September 26, 2019, 05:09:28 PM »
Yeah, I checked out your site and saw some of the photos.  You should start an Artemis thread.  He's cool as hell.   :cool:

Michelle Louring

• Novella unlocked
« Reply #253 on: September 26, 2019, 06:22:29 PM »
Yeah, I checked out your site and saw some of the photos.  You should start an Artemis thread.  He's cool as hell.   :cool:

Shh! Don't let him hear you. His ego is big enough as it is.

Crazy owl lady. I also occasionally write Fantasy books, but the owl is really all anyone cares about.

The following users thanked this post: Jeff Tanyard

Vijaya

« Reply #254 on: September 26, 2019, 10:42:55 PM »
I have started on "We Hunt the Flame" by Hafsah Faizal.
I had to get used to the more formal language after reading a loooot of Terry Pratchett lately, but both the characters and the story seem really interesting!

What a great picture! How I'd love to have him next to my book. Forget the Bestseller Code, which I've just begun. It's already fascinating.

Author of over 100 books and magazine pieces, primarily for children
Vijaya Bodach | Personal Blog | Bodach Books

Kate Elizabeth

« Reply #255 on: September 28, 2019, 04:59:25 AM »
I enjoyed Big Little Lies by Liane Moriarty. I haven't seen the series. I'm currently reading The Secret Life of Violet Grant by Beatriz Williams. I quite like it.

RobertLCollins

• Short Story unlocked
  • I write science fiction & fantasy
    • One Kansas Author
« Reply #256 on: September 28, 2019, 06:20:54 AM »
Yesterday I finished “Prudence” by Gail Carriger, the first “Custard Protocol” book. It was so fun to get back to the Parasolverse! Rue’s a fun character, there’s new shapeshifters, and it was all so joyful to read.

Kate Elizabeth

« Reply #257 on: October 05, 2019, 03:57:05 AM »
I enjoyed Beatriz Williams's Tiny Little Thing, the 2nd in the Schuyler (Amazon and Overdrive has it listed as Schuler) Sisters trilogy.

I'm currently reading two novels, one on my Kindle, one in paperback:  Erin A. Craig's House of Salt and Sorrows, an interesting take on The Twelve Dancing Princesses fairytale and Chanel Cleeton's Next Year in Havana.  Both are really good so far.

Simon Haynes

« Reply #258 on: October 05, 2019, 04:02:24 AM »
I watched the original Poldark on PBS. Wonderful series.

Years ago, when that was first showing on TV, my mum used to send my brother & I outside each week with strict instructions to stay there unless there was a broken bone or something.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #259 on: October 05, 2019, 05:11:43 AM »
I watched the original Poldark on PBS. Wonderful series.

Years ago, when that was first showing on TV, my mum used to send my brother & I outside each week with strict instructions to stay there unless there was a broken bone or something.

Would have done it to my kids if I'd thought of it, too. But then I had girls. Not as boisterous and I could watch in peace.

RobertLCollins

• Short Story unlocked
    • One Kansas Author
« Reply #260 on: October 24, 2019, 05:17:35 AM »
Yesterday I finished “Imprudence” by Gail Carriger, the second Custard Protocol book. Another fun read! A little more action and romance this time, and more about the world.

dgcasey

• Long Novel unlocked
  • Take my memories. I hope you got a big appetite.
« Reply #261 on: October 24, 2019, 02:10:34 PM »
Just another Alex Cross book.

I will not forget one line of this, not one day. I will always remember when the Doctor was me.
"The Tales of Garlan" title="The Tales of Garlan"
"Into The Wishing Well" title="Into The Wishing Well"
Dave's Amazon Author page | DGlennCasey.com | TheDailyPainter.com
I'm the Doctor by the way, what's your name? Rose. Nice to meet you, Rose. Run for your life!

RobertLCollins

• Short Story unlocked
    • One Kansas Author
« Reply #262 on: October 28, 2019, 11:39:51 PM »
Yesterday I finished The Sinister Mystery of the Mesmerizing Girl by Theodora Goss, the third book in her Athena Club trilogy. I really enjoyed the book! The characters were as interesting as they had been. The plot moved along quite quickly. There were even some new references to Victorian fiction. It was such a fun read.

Vijaya

« Reply #263 on: October 29, 2019, 06:44:25 AM »
On Writing Well by Zinsser. It *is* such a classic. I love what he says about enjoyment in the craft.

Author of over 100 books and magazine pieces, primarily for children
Vijaya Bodach | Personal Blog | Bodach Books

Michelle Louring

• Novella unlocked
« Reply #264 on: October 29, 2019, 06:16:13 PM »
Currently rereading "Witches Abroad" by Terry Pratchett. The cover of my collector's edition felt Halloween-appropiate  grint

(Yes, you're getting another owl photo)

elleoco

« Reply #265 on: October 29, 2019, 09:37:43 PM »
I finished Charles Todd's A Cruel Deception (11th in mystery series about WWI nurse) a couple of days ago and when I realized I hadn't put it in the proper collection, went searching by Author in the T's on my Kindle.

That had me scrolling past Albert Payson Terhune's Lad: A Dog. I downloaded that some time ago in a fit of nostalgia when I saw it available but in truth thought I'd never read it. I read probably every one of Terhune's dog stories in my teens, which is to say more than 50 years ago, and figured none of those books would hold my attention today. To prove it, I started reading, and yes, there's archaic language and attitudes - towards dogs, towards people - but darned if I didn't read every page. Even puddled up some over the last chapter.

Also in the T's is Josephine Tey's Brat Farrar, which I've read a good many times over the years, and now again. People who don't reread say there's no reason after the first time when you find out what happens, but I reread a lot to revisit places and characters that charmed me the first time and continue to charm each time. Brat Farrar remains one of those books for me.

Lysmata Debelius

« Reply #266 on: October 29, 2019, 10:16:26 PM »
Currently rereading "Witches Abroad" by Terry Pratchett. The cover of my collector's edition felt Halloween-appropiate  grint

(Yes, you're getting another owl photo)
How perfect is this!
I could try doing this with my budgies but somehow I don't think the effect would be quite the same :)

I'm reading "Dumplin" by Julie Murphy and really loving it. Am on a bit of  YA reading binge. Also enjoyed reading Cathy Cassidy's "Chocolate Box Girls" series. the books look rather twee and cute, but they are actually quite solid and emotionally honest. The sibling rivalry and other goings on feels real and I found myself really caring about the characters.

oganalp

« Reply #267 on: October 30, 2019, 06:39:11 AM »
I am halfway through Joe Abercrombie's Best Served Cold. I am enjoying it so far. It lacks an iconic character like Glokta, but still fun to read.

notthatamanda

« Reply #268 on: November 05, 2019, 11:42:07 AM »
Erma and Julie!!! Love them both.
I just found out Julie Andrews has a new autobiography out.  It's called "Home Work".  I put it on my list at the library, I'm #59 in line. It's about her Hollywood years.

dgcasey

• Long Novel unlocked
« Reply #269 on: November 05, 2019, 02:45:37 PM »
I'm about halfway through and I must say, I'm not impressed. I may not make the end.

« Last Edit: November 05, 2019, 02:49:03 PM by dgcasey »
I will not forget one line of this, not one day. I will always remember when the Doctor was me.
I'm the Doctor by the way, what's your name? Rose. Nice to meet you, Rose. Run for your life!

Maggie Ann

« Reply #270 on: November 05, 2019, 10:39:53 PM »
I just finished reading A Poisoning in Piccadilly by Lynda Wilcox (one of our own which I didn't realize until after I'd purchased the book and saw her avatar). There’s another series with similar names that I also started to read (A Case of Blackmail in Belgravia by Clara Benson) which has much more humor. I enjoyed them both for different reasons.

Also reading A Shot in the Bark by C.A. Newsome, another decent mystery. Of the three, I like Lynda Wilcox’s the best. I bought the next (Burglary in Belgravia) and will probably start reading it this week.

Finished Daughter of Time by Sarah Woodbury. American woman of Welsh descent gets transported back in time to Wales and the reign of Llewelyn, the last Welsh Prince of Wales. It moved quickly and I was thinking of continuing the series but there are seventeen more of them. Daunting.

hjmoritzo

« Reply #271 on: November 15, 2019, 07:17:32 AM »
I've just finished reading 'The Institute' by Stephen King. I liked it. I haven't read many of his novels but love his short stories. It started off a little like a Jack Reacher book but soon progressed into normal territory.
Now I'm reading 'Sleeping Beauties' by Stephen King and his son Joe Hill. Good stuff so far!

dgcasey

• Long Novel unlocked
« Reply #272 on: November 15, 2019, 01:24:56 PM »
Just started reading a novel from my second favorite author, behind Stephen.

Kate Elizabeth

« Reply #273 on: November 19, 2019, 06:00:03 AM »
I enjoyed Mhairi McFarlane's It's Not Me, It's You, a romantic comedy.  I agree with some of the reviewers that it ran a little long.

Speaking of long, I absolutely loved Naomi Novik's Uprooted.  It is a doorstopper fantasy, but that didn't put me off.  I actually felt sad that I finished it.

I went back to Beatriz Williams's The Golden Hour, another Schuyler novel, and finished it.  I liked it.

I'm currently reading Sarah Smith's Faker, another romantic comedy.  I think that it would have made a good novella if it had cut off earlier on.  I'm about halfway through, and although I like it, I don't know what other problems the couple need to face to be together.

I started and stopped a bunch of other books.  Maybe they were good (or bad), but I just couldn't get into them.

RobertLCollins

• Short Story unlocked
    • One Kansas Author
« Reply #274 on: November 21, 2019, 12:30:17 AM »
Yesterday I finished “Competence” by Gail Carriger, the third Custard Protocol book. What a delightful read! It had laugh-out-loud moments and good character bits. It also ramped up the cast diversity. I plan to start on the fourth book soon.

dgcasey

• Long Novel unlocked
« Reply #275 on: November 21, 2019, 12:48:47 AM »

Maggie Ann

« Reply #276 on: November 23, 2019, 01:22:33 AM »
If you love multi-generational sages of lust and power, my favorite author has one of these doorstoppers (992 pgs) on sale now for $1.99.

https://www.amazon.com/Wheel-Fortune-Susan-Howatch-ebook/dp/B009DA5I5U?_bbid=13549924&tag=bookbubdaemail-20

It's my least favorite of her historicals but it's still one heckuvva read. She bases the families on historical events but places them in the 20th century and uses a family home/estate (Oxmoon) to represent England. In this case, It's Edward III all the way down to Henry V. It was my least favorite because I really didn't like Kester (Richard II), but on a reread, I understood him much better.

It's time for a reread of all of her books.

Lynn

« Reply #277 on: November 23, 2019, 01:29:52 AM »
I loved that book. Man, it's been so long since I've read a good saga. I need to look up her latest stuff. What's her best one in your opinion?
Don't rush me.

Simon Haynes

« Reply #278 on: November 23, 2019, 02:16:01 AM »
I just finished Isaac Asimov's third autobiography. A fantastic read which kept me up hours later than I meant to every night this week. I think I paid about 1.99 for this via a recent bookbub, and it was worth every cent.

Not sure about the next book - I have a bunch of recent downloads/purchases/freebies on the kindle and I'll have to see what tickles my fancy.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #279 on: November 23, 2019, 02:23:57 AM »
I loved that book. Man, it's been so long since I've read a good saga. I need to look up her latest stuff. What's her best one in your opinion?

Howatch retired quite some time ago (sob). Besides Wheel of Fortune, her historicals are:

Penmarric set in Cornwall (Henry II to John I)
Cashelmarra set in Ireland (Edward I to Edward III)
The Rich are Different and Sins of the Fathers both set in New York (Rome) and England (Egypt) (Ceasar, Antony, Cleopatra, Augustus/Octavian)

Cashelmarra beats out the others but only by a nose.

She also wrote a six book series based on The Church of England, and the St. Benet's trilogy which follows Nicholas Darrow (son of one of the CofE main characters).

I have a two-shelf bookcase dedicated to her work. I need the whole bookcase because I have most of them in hardback and paperback. I also have all the ebooks.

The only ones I don't care for are her Gothic mysteries just because I'm not a fan of the genre. That's how she started out.

« Last Edit: November 23, 2019, 02:27:40 AM by Maggie Ann »

The following users thanked this post: Lynn

elleoco

« Reply #280 on: November 23, 2019, 06:43:34 AM »
Am I confessing to disloyalty? There was a recommendation in That Other Place for a historical mystery by Jennifer Ashley: Death Below Stairs. I really like historical mysteries, and while C.S. Harris's Sebastian St. Cyr series will remain my favorite, I enjoyed this one and have downloaded the second in the series, Scandal Above Stairs. My library had both in ebook format, a plus, although there's a third I've had to put a hold on for the paper format.

I have trouble with historicals that feature the rich and powerful sailing around enjoying themselves with no consideration of the living conditions of the many servants who make that possible, much less the horrors of poverty in the times. What I like about the St. Cyr mysteries is that they show it all.

These Ashley stories feature a cook who works in aristocratic households and also give a more balanced view of the times. My American self is having trouble with the undoubtedly realistic portrayal of the cook's acceptance of her class and place (she's the first person narrator), but of course I'd have more trouble if she were shown unrealistically marching around getting away with anything else.

Anyway, I liked the one I've finished so far a lot and recommend it to those who like this kind of story.

Kate Elizabeth

« Reply #281 on: November 23, 2019, 08:24:52 AM »
I remember reading Cashelmarra back in the 80s when I was in middle school.  I was entranced by the steamy bits.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #282 on: November 23, 2019, 09:29:19 AM »
I remember reading Cashelmarra back in the 80s when I was in middle school.  I was entranced by the steamy bits.

That's a pretty heavy book for a middle schooler. That scene between Patrick, Sarah and Ned Gowan is more than a little steamy.

Shoe

« Reply #283 on: November 23, 2019, 11:09:23 AM »
The Green Man, by Kingsley Amis, his only foray into the paranormal. It's very funny (if you like Brit humor (or humour).
Martin Luther King: "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity."

Lynn

« Reply #284 on: November 24, 2019, 06:18:34 AM »

My library doesn't have that one but I recommended it. We'll see if it comes through. If not, I'll pick it up at some point. :D It looks like something I'd like. They did have Penmarric so I picked up that instead for the moment! :D

It's really been so long since I read The Wheel of Fortune I can't really remember much about it or why I remember loving it. It was probably about 18 years ago. (I remember where I was living when I read it so I can estimate that at least.) The library doesn't have it either, or I'd just check it out and reread it. :)

On the other hand, I probably have the paperback somewhere upstairs, but I've boxed up oodles of my books because I ran out of shelf space and planned to move them into another room and get more shelves and then sort of let that project fall to the wayside as I started reading more and more on my devices :D I rarely pick up a paperback or hardcover anymore. Even of my favorites. I just go to the library and check out the ebook instead of dig through my collection. ;)
Don't rush me.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #285 on: November 24, 2019, 06:39:25 AM »

My library doesn't have that one but I recommended it. We'll see if it comes through. If not, I'll pick it up at some point. :D It looks like something I'd like. They did have Penmarric so I picked up that instead for the moment! :D

It's really been so long since I read The Wheel of Fortune I can't really remember much about it or why I remember loving it. It was probably about 18 years ago. (I remember where I was living when I read it so I can estimate that at least.) The library doesn't have it either, or I'd just check it out and reread it. :)

On the other hand, I probably have the paperback somewhere upstairs, but I've boxed up oodles of my books because I ran out of shelf space and planned to move them into another room and get more shelves and then sort of let that project fall to the wayside as I started reading more and more on my devices :D I rarely pick up a paperback or hardcover anymore. Even of my favorites. I just go to the library and check out the ebook instead of dig through my collection. ;)

I think you'll like Penmarric. Mark Castellack is Henry II and Jenna is Eleanor of Aquitaine.

My library doesn't have a great selection of ebooks. The only SH ebook they have is the last book in the Church of England series. That makes no sense at all. They do have all her books in hard copy, at least.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2019, 06:43:51 AM by Maggie Ann »

RobertLCollins

• Short Story unlocked
    • One Kansas Author
« Reply #286 on: November 25, 2019, 09:27:29 AM »
Last night I finished book 4 of Gail Carriger’s Custard Protocol series, “Reticence.” Quite witty and great fun! There was world-building right up to the end. It featured a rather awkward romance between Victorian geeks. Also got into the head of one of the Custard’s crew.  Also action and a wedding full of cameos to start the book. If you like steampunk fantasy it’s worth checking out.

spin52

« Reply #287 on: November 28, 2019, 06:13:16 AM »
As a result of clearing out my mother's book collection, I've been re-reading some of Anne Perry's Pitt and Monk Victorian mysteries. She's a good writer but I cringe sometimes at the preachiness. It seems like she picks a social issue to highlight in each book and then proceeds to beat the reader over the head with it. Perhaps that's why I didn't even try to read any of her WWI novels or the new series which features Pitt and Charlotte's son.

Traditional mysteries with a dash of humor -- no cats, no cupcakes, no covens.

Michelle Louring

• Novella unlocked
« Reply #288 on: December 19, 2019, 05:19:06 PM »
Getting ready for the new The Witcher show on Netflix on Friday by reading "Season of Storms" by Andrzej Sapkowski  grint

dgcasey

• Long Novel unlocked
« Reply #289 on: December 20, 2019, 12:26:36 PM »
A long awaited sequel. Ignored until a couple of days ago.

shrouded1

« Reply #290 on: December 24, 2019, 11:33:09 AM »

spin52

« Reply #291 on: January 01, 2020, 07:03:39 AM »
I received Bill Bryson's  'The Body - a Guide for Occupants' as a Christmas present, so I'm reading that, breaking off occasionally to chortle at something in it. Nobody blends humor and information quite the way he does.

Traditional mysteries with a dash of humor -- no cats, no cupcakes, no covens.

The following users thanked this post: Shoe

lea_owens

« Reply #292 on: January 01, 2020, 09:35:52 AM »
In paper form, I'm reading The House of Medici by Christopher Hibbert and The Medici by Paul Strathern, as well as The Infinite Monkey Cage by Brian Cox and Robin Ince. On my Kindle, I'm still enjoying Lindsay Buroker's Planet Killer (Star Kingdom Book 6).

I have so many books in line to be read, though. I need to stay off reading groups on FB - so many great books recommended.

Kate Elizabeth

« Reply #293 on: January 03, 2020, 07:04:14 AM »
I love MRC Kasasian's The Gower Street Detective series. I'm reading The Secrets of Gaslight Lane, the 4th book. He writes great historical mysteries, full of humor and some gory death scenes. I'm very squeamish, but I can't stay away.

I just started Addison Moore's cozy mystery series. I enjoy her romances and the same so far with Cutie Pies and Deadly Lies.

Lynn

« Reply #294 on: January 03, 2020, 07:11:54 AM »
Reading The Madness of Lord Ian Mackenzie (for the second time) by Jennifer Ashley.

Just finished Exit Strategy by Martha Wells, who I discovered through her Stargate Atlantis tie-in novels. The murderbot diaries are really really good and I love that they're not long books. :D

I picked up two books from Kindle First this month, and I plan to read Thief River Falls next. The opening was fantastic and sucked me right in. Got a feeling it's going to be a heart-pounder.
Don't rush me.

Kate Elizabeth

« Reply #295 on: January 16, 2020, 08:25:16 AM »
MRC Kasasian's Dark Dawn over Steep House. It's the 5th book in The Gower Street Detective series. I love his writing.

I just started Jennifer Echols's The Ex Games, a YA romantic comedy. I like it so far, but then I'm a sucker for romantic comedies.

There were several other books that I had to quit. I'm sure that some were probably good, but I just couldn't get into them.

Shoe

« Reply #296 on: January 16, 2020, 08:28:43 AM »
"Where The Crawdads Sing" by Delia Owens, I think one of last year's best-selling books, and rightly so.
Martin Luther King: "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity."

Maggie Ann

« Reply #297 on: January 16, 2020, 09:12:25 AM »
"Where The Crawdads Sing" by Delia Owens, I think one of last year's best-selling books, and rightly so.

Thank you. My neighbor recommended the book but I forgot the name. All I could remember was crawdads.

dgcasey

• Long Novel unlocked
« Reply #298 on: January 16, 2020, 12:03:56 PM »
Reading another Stephen King for the first time. About halfway through right now.

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #299 on: January 16, 2020, 12:57:26 PM »
Just finished a Conan story yesterday.

https://conan.fandom.com/wiki/The_Servants_of_Bit-Yakin

I love the "ancient temple hidden in the jungle" trope.  I've got my own "temple" scenes in my Wheel of Fire books, but that's science fiction, not fantasy, so it's not quite the same.