Author Topic: Also-boughts are back!  (Read 3639 times)

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
  • Earth Galaxy core, 2618
    • The Hunter Imperium Universe
Also-boughts are back!
« on: December 21, 2018, 08:32:13 PM »
It appears also-boughts are back.

Not sure why, but suddenly after months of none at all, they are now back on all my books. (As far as I've checked.)

Thank you Amazon. About bloody time though!

Makes me wonder if Amazon had so many complaints, they were forced to do something about it, or if they indeed found removing them was damaging sales dramatically. We will probably never know.

But,  :banana:
Genres: Space Opera/Fantasy/Cyberpunk, with elements of LitRPG and GameLit, with a touch of the Supernatural. Also Spiritual and Games.

Timothy Ellis Kindle Author page. | Join the Hunter Legacy mailing list | The Hunter Imperium Universe on Facebook. | Forum Promo Page.

The following users thanked this post: Ghost5

Jake

Re: Also-boughts are back!
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2018, 08:46:41 PM »
I never stopped seeing them in the first place. They never left, I think this was always based on your region.

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
  • Earth Galaxy core, 2618
    • The Hunter Imperium Universe
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2018, 09:02:50 PM »
I never stopped seeing them in the first place. They never left, I think this was always based on your region.

Very likely, but for those of us affected, it was very annoying.
Genres: Space Opera/Fantasy/Cyberpunk, with elements of LitRPG and GameLit, with a touch of the Supernatural. Also Spiritual and Games.

Timothy Ellis Kindle Author page. | Join the Hunter Legacy mailing list | The Hunter Imperium Universe on Facebook. | Forum Promo Page.

Bill Hiatt

• Trilogy unlocked
  • Tickling the imagination one book at a time
    • Bill Hiatt's Author Website
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2018, 03:07:34 AM »
I'd guess it was a combination of complaints and declining sales. We have a lot of anecdotal evidence that some people used also boughts quite vigorously. Such people would be inclined both to complain and to buy less if the also boughts disappeared.

At least we know that Amazon responds to something, whether its own data, complaints, or both. That's at little bit of insurance against something really crazy happening.

Tickling the imagination one book at a time
Bill Hiatt | fiction website | education website | Facebook author page | Twitter

David VanDyke

• Long Novel unlocked
  • Full-time hybrid author and curmudgeon
    • David VanDyke's Author Website
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2018, 04:57:34 AM »
It would have been better for everyone--Amazon, authors, readers--if they'd never allowed sponsored books at all, or at least kept them below and perhaps smaller than the real also-boughts.

Some may see this as heresy for even suggesting it, but frankly, if Amazon wanted to make more money off KDP, they'd do better by (say) lowering the royalty rate to 65%, or charging a "per-month, per-book" fee to be on KDP--if that would keep the neutral recommendation engine in place over the pay-to-be-seen. The heavier the influence of ads, the more of a Wild West it becomes and the less the customer benefits, IMO.

"Money changes everything." --Cyndi Lauper/Tom Gray
Never listen to people with no skin in the game.

I'm a lucky guy. I find the harder I work, the luckier I am.

Those who prefer their English sloppy have only themselves to thank if the advertisement writer uses his mastery of the vocabulary and syntax to mislead their weak minds.

~ Dorothy L. Sayers

The following users thanked this post: Dormouse

Dormouse

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2018, 08:05:45 AM »
As a reader, I never buy a book because it's sponsored or otherwise advertised on Amazon. I occasionally buy from an also bought. Also never search Amazon for a book to buy, or look at rankings etc. It might be pervasive but it doesn't compare with a real book shop for general browsing.

ashleycapes

• Short Novel unlocked
  • My neighbors think my name is Emily Goldfinch
    • Website
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2018, 10:19:25 AM »
Finally!

I've been missing the ability to check on them for AMS keywords - and just to be able to satisfy my curiosity in seeing what else folks buy after/with my stuff.

Ashley Capes | website

CoraBuhlert

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2018, 12:40:02 PM »
I started seeing also-boughts again a couple of days ago. Only the one book, which was released in the middle of the also-bought fiasco and never had the chance to aquire any, still hasn't got any also-boughts.

Blog | Pegasus Pulp | Newsletter | Author Central | Twitter | Instagram
Genres: All of them, but mostly science fiction and mystery/crime