Author Topic: Amazon and the first-gen Kindle Fire  (Read 462 times)

Jeff Tanyard

Amazon and the first-gen Kindle Fire
« on: August 02, 2022, 07:36:59 AM »
I got an email today from Amazon.  Here's the text of it:

Thank you for continuing to use Amazon's original Kindle Fire tablet. While you can continue reading on your device, as of August 31, 2022, store functionality will no longer be available. This means you'll no longer be able to browse, buy, or borrow books directly from your 1st generation Kindle Fire tablet. As always, you'll be able to browse, buy, and borrow books on other supported devices or through amazon.com/ebooks.

Which Kindle Fire tablets are affected?
The 1st generation Kindle Fire (released in 2011). Our records show at least one of these devices is registered to this email address. Visit Manage your Content and Devices to see all your registered devices.

Can I still read on my Kindle Fire tablet?
Yes. You can still access your existing library from your Kindle, deliver newly purchased or borrowed books to it, or download books from your cloud library.

How can I shop for Kindle books after August 31, 2022?
• Visit amazon.com/ebooks from a web browser.
• Use the Kindle Store on a touchscreen Kindle or an Amazon Fire tablet released in 2013 or later.
• Upgrade to a new Fire tablet. Use code FIRETABLET22 to get 50% off an ad-supported Fire tablet and $15 in eBook credit. Offer valid through August 13, 2022, at 11:59 PM (PT). Terms and Conditions apply.

If you have any questions, please contact our Customer Service team who will be happy to help you.

Regards,
The Kindle Team

Notice how they specify "ad-supported" in the line about the discount code?  I suspect the discount and ebook credit don't apply if you choose the no-ads version.

I'll continue to use my beloved first-gen Fire, of course.  In fact, I haven't done much browsing or shopping on the tablet in quite a while.  I buy using the desktop or laptop, or I download from other sites like Gutenberg or Internet Archive.  Basically, I look for books on the computer, use the send-to-kindle app when needed, and only use the tablet for actual reading.  And if worse comes to worst, I can always just side-load stuff via USB cable.

It still feels sort of like the end of an era, though.   :shrug
v  v  v  v  v    Short Stories    v  v  v  v  v    vv FREE! vv

Genres: Science Fiction, Fantasy (some day) | Author Website