Author Topic: Apple Books for Authors, Now Supports Multiple Platforms  (Read 3632 times)

Demon_Lord

• Novella unlocked
  • FYI I often modify my post to correct typos.
Apple Books For Authors, now is supporting Windows Operating System, and multiple platforms.

https://authors.apple.com/publish-your-book/#publishing_resources

It looks as if the whole Apple publishing website had been revamped. I'm still checking it out. It says Mac/PC, but it looks as it were a web browser application, so basically it can be used from any operating system with a supported browser. This is great news for me, because I mostly run Linux in my computers.

This is the main website https://authors.apple.com/

The following users thanked this post: Jessica, angela

notthatamanda

Re: Apple Books for Authors, Now Supports Multiple Platforms
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2020, 10:33:36 AM »
So we could go direct with Apple, even if we don't have a Mac? I would do that, going forward. I can't see going back and changing my other books. D2D has been great for Apple.

JRTomlin

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2020, 12:13:17 PM »
This is good news especially that they're revamping their website.

Bill Hiatt

• Trilogy unlocked
  • Tickling the imagination one book at a time
    • Bill Hiatt's Author Website
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2020, 02:53:42 AM »
This is excellent news in that it may indicate that Apple is getting more serious about ebook sales.

Does anyone know if the Apple Books customer interface now supports other platforms? I remember being really disgusted when Apple made it impossible to buy books from the PC anymore (though you could still buy music).

Tickling the imagination one book at a time
Bill Hiatt | fiction website | education website | Facebook author page | Twitter

notthatamanda

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2020, 02:57:49 AM »
I just went on one of my Apple book pages and it looks the same, but for a little box with an arrow coming out of it. I don't see anyway to buy the book yet, and nothing happened when I tried to click what I assume was the upload arrow. But I'm 99% sure that box arrow thing is new.

Bill Hiatt

• Trilogy unlocked
  • Tickling the imagination one book at a time
    • Bill Hiatt's Author Website
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2020, 03:09:14 AM »
I just went on one of my Apple book pages and it looks the same, but for a little box with an arrow coming out of it. I don't see anyway to buy the book yet, and nothing happened when I tried to click what I assume was the upload arrow. But I'm 99% sure that box arrow thing is new.
So maybe it's in the works? I'll check back in a few days and see what's going on.

Tickling the imagination one book at a time
Bill Hiatt | fiction website | education website | Facebook author page | Twitter

RPatton

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2020, 06:08:12 AM »
Just a head's up - Apple lists your name as the publisher unless you do a little dance with them. While this isn't a problem for some people, this could be a deal killer for others.

Demon_Lord

• Novella unlocked
  • FYI I often modify my post to correct typos.
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2020, 07:07:51 AM »
Just a head's up - Apple lists your name as the publisher unless you do a little dance with them. While this isn't a problem for some people, this could be a deal killer for others.

This is what I was talking about when I mentioned the issue with the pen names. Google does the same. At the Google bookstore, one can use a mix of initials and last name.  We could also get a LLC like many authors do.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2020, 07:13:39 AM by Demon_Lord »

alhawke

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2020, 08:30:30 AM »

This is why I use D2D for Apple. Hopefully that changes. I had the same problem with GooglePlay with initial setup but was able to change it after I contacted them.

RPatton

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2020, 08:51:19 AM »

This is what I was talking about when I mentioned the issue with the pen names. Google does the same. At the Google bookstore, one can use a mix of initials and last name.  We could also get a LLC like many authors do.

Nope, Google allows you to use a publishing name. The front facing info doesn't have to match the payment info. Apple is not the same. Apple use the payment account for front facing stuff. It's not just about having an LLC either, it's how the accounts are established. You can contact them, but it takes some serious song and dance.

Lynn

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2020, 01:42:09 PM »
I'm glad to see this. I found the page with info on the pen name stuff. Definitely looks like a bit of a hassle. https://itunespartner.apple.com/books/articles/agreements-tax-and-banking-2702
Don't rush me.

The following users thanked this post: Demon_Lord

Lick Darsey

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2020, 11:27:56 PM »

Nope, Google allows you to use a publishing name. The front facing info doesn't have to match the payment info. Apple is not the same. Apple use the payment account for front facing stuff. It's not just about having an LLC either, it's how the accounts are established. You can contact them, but it takes some serious song and dance.

On Apple, the publisher name and seller name are two different fields. When publishing through iTunes Producer, it's possible to change the publisher name for each book but the seller name is tied to your account. Both names show in the store.

I changed my seller name by submitting DBA (doing business as/assumed business name) documentation to Apple. If I remember correctly, there is link through the help pages to submit DBA documents and request the change to the seller name. Setting up a DBA is not as complicated, or as expensive, as setting up an LLC. At least that's the case where I live. This may not be the case for everyone. I know the process varies by location.

The following users thanked this post: Demon_Lord