Author Topic: Should I protest?  (Read 3654 times)

Doglover

Should I protest?
« on: September 10, 2019, 07:10:16 PM »
I was asked to write an article for a local magazine, which I did and it was published with a front page photograph. That's all well and good, but they haven't given me any credit for it. I don't need paying, that was a given, but I thought they might have stated who wrote the article.

Their excuse seems to be that they didn't know how to spell it, but they didn't ask.

Not sure whether to make a fuss or let it go.

Hloceolori

Re: Should I protest?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2019, 08:19:08 PM »
As a journalist and former magazine editor, I would always have credited a contributed article, especially if it was written for free. Not knowing how to spell your name is no kind of excuse. I think you should definitely say you are disappointed not to have been credited as the author, especially if there is a chance you might write for them again. Does the magazine have a website? If so, they could put the article online and give you a byline on the website.

The following users thanked this post: Doglover, Rosie Scott, mk31333

notthatamanda

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2019, 08:51:10 PM »
Express your disappointment, ask them to put it on the website and always ask for a byline whenever you write something for someone else in the future.  Sorry this happened.

The following users thanked this post: Doglover

Doglover

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2019, 09:48:58 PM »
Well, I've just been asked to write a follow up to the article and I have put my name on it this time. I shall definitely point out that I need to be credited for this one, then people will know I wrote the last one as it is all on the same topic.

Putting my name on the articles might even get me more book sales!

notthatamanda

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2019, 10:05:54 PM »
Since you are doing it for free, you can ask them to list your website in your bio, or your Amazon page.  The weekly magazine of the newspaper publishes an essay every week and people always get a two or three sentence bio at the end.

EG: Doglover has written 6 books about dogs as well as 10 historical romance books set in the Tudor period.  You may find her at doglover.com.

Or find her books on "youramazonpage.com"

Or if your wide, "Her books are available on Amazon, Kobo, Apple, etc..."

The following users thanked this post: Doglover, Lorri Moulton, Rosie Scott

Vijaya

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2019, 12:24:51 AM »
Doglover, your local magazine should know better than to not credit you. They can still make amends if they have a website. And I'm glad you're insisting on it for the follow-up article. And one of the perks for writing for magazines is getting a chance to have a micro-bio with web address listed just as notthatamanda wrote. Good luck and I hope this generates a few sales!

Author of over 100 books and magazine pieces, primarily for children
Vijaya Bodach | Personal Blog | Bodach Books

VanessaC

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2019, 02:19:15 AM »
Agree with everyone else - you should definitely get credit for this. You put time and effort into the article, and that should be recognised.

Going to be overly optimistic - perhaps the lack of credit first time was an oversight, if they would normally give credit. Hope you get it sorted.

Genre: Fantasy

Doglover

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2019, 02:44:06 AM »
Well, it's done now. Let's hope they credit me for the follow up. I have told them to, so we shall see. Thanks for all your replies.

Jake

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2019, 04:53:53 AM »
I think they're trying to take advantage of you. Not knowing how to spell your name is definitely not as excuse. At the very least they should credit who wrote the article but if you keep writing for them and this becomes a regular thing I'd do as Amanda said and request some sort of bio at the end ...

"EG: Doglover has written 6 books about dogs as well as 10 historical romance books set in the Tudor period.  You may find her at doglover.com"

Al Stevens

• Medium Novel unlocked
  • Coffee-drinking, insomniac binge writer
    • Al Stevens, Author, Musician
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2019, 01:11:52 PM »
Good grief. Quit writing for free. Tell them your fee for the followup article and insist on a byline plus a link to your website.

The following users thanked this post: Kristen.s.walker

Doglover

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2019, 03:26:14 PM »
Good grief. Quit writing for free. Tell them your fee for the followup article and insist on a byline plus a link to your website.
It was only 700 words and I did it for a friend. The magazine wanted to publish an article about his dog (long story) and he didn't want it written by someone who didn't know her. I didn't mind doing that, but I shan't be doing any more.

verysecretsquirrel

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2019, 07:00:53 PM »
What a shame Harlan Ellison is no longer with us.  HE would have known what to do! ;-)

Doglover

« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2019, 07:15:08 PM »
That reminds me of when someone phoned my vet asking him to complete a survey. He said, sure he'd be glad to, but he didn't give his time for nothing. Then he gave the address of his favourite charity and told the caller that when they received £100, to phone back and he'd be glad to help.  :hehe

I wouldn't have done anything else for free, but this was a favour and only short. Unfortunately, the dog had passed away by the time the magazine came out so they have asked me to do a follow-up about that.

notthatamanda

« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2019, 08:09:37 PM »
If it's a project you want to do, for whatever reason, and can spare the time, then do it.  I think asking nicely for a micro-bio (great phrase) is completely reasonable and I'd be surprised if they didn't say okay to that.  If they don't, you can re-evaluate then.

okey dokey

« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2019, 10:38:41 AM »
If your friend IS A  FRIEND, then the two of you can exchange favors.
You write the article, the magazine gives you a byline and ends the article with your micro bio (which you write).
You can negotiate for a link to buy your book and to your website, and include your photo (which you provide).
And/or a free dinner or at least a coupon to Starbucks.

Friends should be willing to help friends.

spin52

« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2019, 09:14:35 PM »
There is no reason why you shouldn't have been given a byline, at the very least. They couldn't spell your name? Pull the other one.

Reminds me of the local newspaper here. When I was working for them, I wrote a long feature article on a public figure who was very hard to interview (kept wandering off topic, had her own agenda, etc., none of which was remotely interesting to readers). Anyway, when she died some twenty years later, the obituary was basically my feature story, only slightly re-written. Considering how difficult the original interview had been -- think water from a stone -- I thought the least they could have done was say, "In a 1989 interview with XX, Mrs Y said ..."

Traditional mysteries with a dash of humor -- no cats, no cupcakes, no covens.

Doglover

« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2019, 09:26:45 PM »
There is no reason why you shouldn't have been given a byline, at the very least. They couldn't spell your name? Pull the other one.

Reminds me of the local newspaper here. When I was working for them, I wrote a long feature article on a public figure who was very hard to interview (kept wandering off topic, had her own agenda, etc., none of which was remotely interesting to readers). Anyway, when she died some twenty years later, the obituary was basically my feature story, only slightly re-written. Considering how difficult the original interview had been -- think water from a stone -- I thought the least they could have done was say, "In a 1989 interview with XX, Mrs Y said ..."
I've asked them to put my name and my website address on the follow-up, which I suppose is an obituary. It will be in the October edition, so we shall see.

She-la-te-da

« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2019, 07:39:20 AM »
At the least you should have the byline and a place to do a little promo spot (the website, what you write, whatever). I understand why you did it for free, but your time is still worth something.

When I was a reporter, it was part of my job to get people's names and make sure they were spelled correctly, so there's no excuse for that part, if it was an issue.
I write various flavors of speculative fiction. This is my main pen name.

Doglover

« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2019, 04:48:09 PM »
I did the memorial piece, to which they did add my name. Now they want me to do another piece about an award this little dog has won. Not sure if I want to do it, to be honest, mainly because my friend is telling everyone she was selected for this award, but I know he applied for it!  :icon_redface:

I'm nothing if not honest and I'm not sure I can go along with that. We shall see.

Jan Hurst-Nicholson

• Epic Novel unlocked
  • Don't let your emotions overpower your intellect
    • Just4kix Books
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2019, 02:33:55 AM »
I started my writing career over 40 years ago by writing magazine and newspaper articles. The cover page was always set out the same with the type of article on the top left e.g. humorous article, your address and contact details on the right. The title of the article lower down in the middle with 'by' underneath, where you put your name or pseudonym. Lower left hand was the rights you were giving them e.g first British serial rights. Bottom right hand corner was the number of words.
This shows the editor that you are a professional and will expect recognition (and payment)  Grin.
If you want to sell it to another magazine after it has been published you can offer 2nd serial rights, or sell it overseas as first serial right for that country, but let them know where and when it has already been published. You can sell the same article over and over by tweaking it to fit with holidays or other special days.

Non-fiction, Fiction, family saga, humour, short stories, teen, children's
Jan Hurst-Nicholson | author website