Author Topic: Amazon product page ebook page count glitch  (Read 962 times)

KelliWolfe

Amazon product page ebook page count glitch
« on: October 17, 2020, 01:25:23 AM »
Exactly what the thread title says. The updated estimator that they use for the page count on the ebook product page is apparently very buggy. I published an 80,000 word novel mid-September and the estimator listed it as 234 pages. Linking the paperback, which is 340+ pages, didn't fix it and KDP support has been giving me the usual runaround of pretending not to understand the problem. Oddly enough the KENPC count was reasonably close.

If you've published recently or uploaded a revised book file you might want to double check your page counts to make sure that they're in the ballpark of where they're supposed to be. We all know that readers prefer longer books, so if your counts are off significantly it could be costing you sales.

Simon Haynes

Re: Amazon product page ebook page count glitch
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2020, 03:05:13 AM »
The novel I recently published for a friend had that issue, showing about 150 pages for a full-length novel of 65-70k words.

Maybe they're releasing a new Kindle with a 36" screen or something.

spin52

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2020, 11:05:02 PM »
I had a real ding-dong battle a few months ago, with 50 pages chopped off the correct count, even though they had a paperback version to refer to. Their response was for me to put page numbers in my e-book. I patiently explained --- several times -- that e-books don't have page numbers and all they had to do was change one number on the product page. Eventually, after several e-mails and being escalated to a supervisor, the count was corrected. I was expecting the same hassle on my latest book, but all it took this time was one e-mail request.

Traditional mysteries with a dash of humor -- no cats, no cupcakes, no covens.

LilyBLily

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2020, 05:00:31 AM »
I made a similar request a couple of weeks ago, was told I'd asked the wrong department, and then was contacted by the right department and they said they'd take care of it. Only, they didn't. So my 460+ page print book is still listed as 335 on the ebook page. I'm trying again.

Writer

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2020, 07:58:41 AM »
They recently listed my new 50k book as being the same number of pages as my older 40k books. I emailed and they quickly updated the ebook page count to reflect the actual paperback page numbers. Fixed for now.