Author Topic: Where can I purchase space ship illustrations?  (Read 2060 times)

Wonder

Where can I purchase space ship illustrations?
« on: January 25, 2021, 08:37:20 AM »
Hi All.

I'm looking for illustrations of space ships for use in cover art. Vectors or images are preferred. I'm finding there's an extremely limited selection on most of the stock photo sites.

If you have any resources, stores, or sites you can point me to, I'd be grateful. If push comes to shove I can learn how to use Blender and build out some models, but I'd rather purchase something premade if I can.

At this point, I'm not looking to hire an illustrator to paint a custom cover. I just need ships! :)

Thanks!

Wonder

Eric Thomson

Re: Where can I purchase space ship illustrations?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2021, 09:36:22 AM »
I get mine from

https://depositphotos.com
and
https://www.dreamstime.com/

Both have a good selection, but I always google the image to see if it's been used by another publisher... Some images end up being used many times.

The following users thanked this post: Wonder

Simon Haynes

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2021, 10:46:26 PM »
I did see a book cover recently with the ship from Space 1999 on the front. Someone must have got that from a stock site not knowing where it came from.

I license 3D models from cgtrader, pose them in Blender, render them with lighting and new textures, etc, and then put them in front of a background image or ten.

Wonder

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2021, 05:26:27 AM »
Thanks, friends. I appreciate the pointers!

DougM

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2021, 02:49:07 AM »
I learned Blender in order to get what I wanted. The results were awesome but the learning curve to get there was significant.

Shayne

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2021, 10:03:11 AM »
Hi All.

I'm looking for illustrations of space ships for use in cover art. Vectors or images are preferred. I'm finding there's an extremely limited selection on most of the stock photo sites.

If you have any resources, stores, or sites you can point me to, I'd be grateful. If push comes to shove I can learn how to use Blender and build out some models, but I'd rather purchase something premade if I can.

At this point, I'm not looking to hire an illustrator to paint a custom cover. I just need ships! :)

Thanks!

Wonder

If you're still looking, we have some spaceships at https://kickassrenderstock.com/collections/air-and-space

j tanner

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2021, 11:38:28 AM »
I license 3D models from cgtrader, pose them in Blender, render them with lighting and new textures, etc, and then put them in front of a background image or ten.

There's some really great stuff there, but I noticed they seem to allow users to sell unlicensed (I assume) models of recognizable pop-culture ships (Star Wars, Gallactica, etc). So this makes me worry that any ship I bought could conceivably be an unlicensed ship I just don't happen to be familiar with. The second that goes up on Amazon though, someone will point it out.

No concerns there in your usage? 

j tanner

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2021, 11:39:42 AM »
If you're still looking, we have some spaceships at https://kickassrenderstock.com/collections/air-and-space

Nice stuff there. I wish I could write fast enough to become a repeat customer. :)

Shayne

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2021, 04:03:11 PM »

Nice stuff there. I wish I could write fast enough to become a repeat customer. :)

Thank you!

Simon Haynes

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2021, 09:21:24 PM »

There's some really great stuff there, but I noticed they seem to allow users to sell unlicensed (I assume) models of recognizable pop-culture ships (Star Wars, Gallactica, etc). So this makes me worry that any ship I bought could conceivably be an unlicensed ship I just don't happen to be familiar with. The second that goes up on Amazon though, someone will point it out.

No concerns there in your usage?

Yeah, I had a heart attack when someone made a joke about the Mandalorian and the ship on my cover.  It's not even similar though (and my covers predate the Mandalorian anyway.)

And as I pointed out in the first half of the quoted post, I've already seen a Space 1999 ship on someone else's cover.

I will eventually create my own ship in Blender, but currently my time is better spent on writing and marketing.