Author Topic: 50+ words a day...no matter what!  (Read 308806 times)

Post-Crisis D

Re: 50+ words a day...no matter what!
« Reply #500 on: February 22, 2019, 08:57:24 AM »
Sounds like you started a series and you just don't know it.  Maybe think about those milestones being a dividing point and make a trilogy.

What I'm referring to as milestones aren't necessarily major events, not in the sense where they could be breaking points for books in a series.

To use a rough Star Wars comparison, these would be the milestones:

Milestone #1: Luke meets with Obi-Wan to train him in the Force.
Milestone #2: Luke meets a guy and Obi-Wan slices off his arm.
Milestone #3: Luke and Obi-Wan need to find a ship to get off Tatooine.

So, I'm 128k words in and they've pretty much just met Obi-Wan. :hehe
Mulder: "If you're distracted by fear of those around you, it keeps you from seeing the actions of those above."
The X-Files: "Blood"

The following users thanked this post: Lorri Moulton, idontknowyet

alejo palacio

• Tag Line unlocked
  • Europe is haunted by the shadow of the Emperor
« Reply #501 on: February 23, 2019, 03:00:02 AM »
2,100 over the last two days. That's a big number for me these days. The last six months have been wild at work and I am feeling so burned out that it's hard to sit down and write big too.

Still, feeling burned out at work just makes me all the more driven to get through this ms and start editing so I can publish for the first time and start building a secondary income stream.

I'm hoping I feel at least some sense of accomplishment on that day. Lately, things I should be happy about achieving have taken on a sort of rote, check-it-off-the-list quality that I don't like.

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #502 on: February 23, 2019, 09:36:33 AM »
I wrote 1,225 words today.
Mulder: "If you're distracted by fear of those around you, it keeps you from seeing the actions of those above."

Maggie Ann

« Reply #503 on: February 23, 2019, 10:16:37 AM »
Moving ahead cautiously because it feels like the story is coming to an abrupt end. So only 585 words today and I think that's about all I'll write for the next few days.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #504 on: February 24, 2019, 02:21:14 AM »
Well, I did what I said I wasn't going to do. I wrote 2,282 words this morning. Just need a few more paragraphs to tie up loose ends and then the epilogue that leads into the next book in the trilogy.

Then on to editing but I'm also going to start the next book.

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #505 on: February 24, 2019, 09:09:53 AM »
I wrote 1,270 words today.  Two characters are currently being pursued by killer kitchen utensils.

The following users thanked this post: Lorri Moulton, idontknowyet, kdiem

Maggie Ann

« Reply #506 on: February 24, 2019, 10:01:42 AM »
I wrote 1,270 words today.  Two characters are currently being pursued by killer kitchen utensils.

Uh-huh. Alexa just told me how dangerous toasters are.

https://rare.us/rare-life/food-and-drink/toaster-air-pollution-study/

The following users thanked this post: Post-Crisis D, idontknowyet

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #507 on: February 24, 2019, 11:16:38 AM »

Those things can be very cruel.  They beat the eggs and whip the cream.   :icon_eek:
v  v  v  v  v    Short Stories    v  v  v  v  v    vv FREE! vv

Genres: Science Fiction, Fantasy (some day) | Author Website

The following users thanked this post: Lorri Moulton, Post-Crisis D, idontknowyet

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #508 on: February 24, 2019, 11:51:37 AM »
Uh-huh. Alexa just told me how dangerous toasters are.

Not a toaster but a toaster does have a semi-prominent role in my space opera.

A toaster also plays a role in Dan's Lame Space Opera which is a separate space opera that's on the backburner right now.

Those things can be very cruel.  They beat the eggs and whip the cream.   :icon_eek:

Not one of those either.

The kitchen objects I used were something I thought of doing a parody cartoon with a few years back.  I think the plan was to take pictures of them in scenes and use comic-style dialogue clouds.  I don't remember if I did any sketches or not.  I seem to recall sketching out an idea but who knows.  It was just going to be a silly parody of a well-known evil army in a once-popular scifi series.

Anyway, I needed something for the scene I'm working on and remembered that and figured I'd make use of it here.  They're giant now (the cartoon would have used them actual size) and they want to kill everything.

Lorri Moulton

« Reply #509 on: February 28, 2019, 01:50:01 PM »
Got very busy with all the things (besides writing) that we have to do...but finally got back to my book.  400 words today!  :writethink:

Author of Romance, Fantasy, Fairytales, Mystery & Suspense, and Historical Non-Fiction @ Lavender Cottage Books

The following users thanked this post: idontknowyet

Maggie Ann

« Reply #510 on: February 28, 2019, 10:45:10 PM »
I'm deep in editing and research for the next book.

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #511 on: March 01, 2019, 08:47:06 AM »
Guess I haven't updated here in a couple days.

Here we go:

February 24: 620 words
February 25: 1,105 words
February 26: 1,470 words
February 27: 1,575 words

I'm at 1,030 words for today so far, but I am going to try to do some more writing later tonight, after Gotham and The Orville.

Also, I needed a character name for the scene I just finished, so Jeff, Lorri and Maggie have a character kind of named after them.  He didn't die, but he was turned into a bullfrog.  So, look for that scene when you never read my book.   :hehe

The following users thanked this post: Lorri Moulton, Jeff Tanyard, idontknowyet

Lorri Moulton

« Reply #512 on: March 01, 2019, 10:35:51 AM »
Guess I haven't updated here in a couple days.

Here we go:

February 24: 620 words
February 25: 1,105 words
February 26: 1,470 words
February 27: 1,575 words

I'm at 1,030 words for today so far, but I am going to try to do some more writing later tonight, after Gotham and The Orville.

Also, I needed a character name for the scene I just finished, so Jeff, Lorri and Maggie have a character kind of named after them.  He didn't die, but he was turned into a bullfrog.  So, look for that scene when you never read my book.   :hehe

You named a guy after us?  This is going to be a very unique story.  :cheers

Author of Romance, Fantasy, Fairytales, Mystery & Suspense, and Historical Non-Fiction @ Lavender Cottage Books

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #513 on: March 01, 2019, 04:12:23 PM »
You named a guy after us?  This is going to be a very unique story.  :cheers

I'm certain it will be unique.  Whether anyone will want to read it is another story.

I did write more words before the end of the day, so I'll post my final word count for Thursday later.  I think I beat January in terms of both average daily word count and total word count for the month.

Seems like names came easier earlier in the book.  Of course, earlier in the book was stuff written four years ago or so.

I'm closing in on 140k.  I think I'm at just under 138k now.  Can I finish this in 12k words?  It's looking less likely.  I had earlier estimated I'd have this book finished by mid-February.  Looks like maybe, hopefully it will be done by mid-March.

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #514 on: March 02, 2019, 12:53:07 AM »
I ended up writing 2,430 words yesterday which gave me a decent three-day total of 5,475 words which still doesn't beat my best ever (that I know of) three-day total which is mentioned earlier in this thread and I think is in the neighborhood of 6k-7k.  (I really need to write that down somewhere.)

So, for the monthly summary, in January I wrote 34,500 words and had an average daily word count of 1,112.90.  In February, I ended up writing 40,030 words and had an average daily word count of 1,429.64.

My worst day was when I wrote 620 words and the best day was when I hit 3,270 words.

I also try not to duplicate daily word counts in a given month.  Don't remember when I started that.

For comparison's sake, when I first started participating in this thread, my first day's word count was 75 words (worst day was 22 words) and I averaged 322.65 words per day that first month (October 2018) and my total word count for the month was 10,002 words which felt like a lot back then.  LOL.

So, thanks again to Lorri for (re)starting this thread over here.

Lorri Moulton

« Reply #515 on: March 02, 2019, 02:20:10 AM »
Well done, Dan!  :cheers

Maggie Ann

« Reply #516 on: March 04, 2019, 02:24:19 AM »
Well done, Dan!  :cheers

:tup3b

Started a new WIP this morning. I've spent the last few days doing research, finally decided on my time period and the MC and then out of the blue comes another character. I'll let these two ladies fight it out for top spot.

Wrote 1317 words this morning and I have no idea where this is going. Oh, well, that's the fun, right?

Still editing the previous installment. That's going to take a while, but in the meantime, I'll be working on the current project.

Lorri Moulton

« Reply #517 on: March 08, 2019, 01:33:56 PM »
Not much time to do anything until tonight.  Over 100 words so far and feeling much better.  Back on track and may even have figured out how to end this story!  :smilie_zauber:

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #518 on: March 10, 2019, 09:09:11 AM »
Guess it's time for an update.  March hasn't gotten off to that great of a start.  Here are my word counts for the month so far:

March 1: 415 words
March 2: 100 words
March 3: 225 words
March 4: 520 words
March 5: 555 words
March 6: 775 words
March 7: 315 words
March 8: 2,500 words

For the day so far, I've written 1,090 words.  I might write more after dinner.  We'll see.

Finally reached the second milestone where they ran into a character from a previous book.  And they think he's insane, mostly because he thinks he's a character from a book and the author has it in for him.

Or was that supposed to be the third milestone?  Not sure now.  Anyway, they just have to encounter another character in their journey (because the character shows up in the space opera and the one character already knows he because he met her in this current book) and then find a vehicle and then go and try to beat the bad guy.  143k words into this thing now and maybe it will eventually reach an ending after all.

Lorri Moulton

« Reply #519 on: March 10, 2019, 10:06:02 AM »
A little over 200 words and a bunch of editing.  Hope to get more done this evening!

Lorri Moulton

« Reply #520 on: March 11, 2019, 01:34:45 AM »
Another 1200 finished last night!  I'm on a roll.  :banana-riding-llama-smiley-em

Maggie Ann

« Reply #521 on: March 11, 2019, 02:05:47 AM »
I've been editing nearly every night but today, I got back to the WIP. 1959 words. I usually shoot for 2K, but that was close enough. I think the two women that are jostling for the #1 position are going to end up as co-mc's. That's a first for me except for the one I wrote about twin sisters.

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #522 on: March 11, 2019, 02:42:36 PM »
Didn't write any more on Saturday, so the count for Saturday remained fixed at 1,090 words.

Wrote 1,160 words on Sunday in a dialogue-heavy chapter where one character was convinced he and the others are all characters in a book and the other characters argue whether that could be true and also whether they might still be stuck in the virtual world they were stuck in previously.

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #523 on: March 12, 2019, 02:15:34 PM »
I wrote 1,120 words on Monday.  Then I took a break of sorts and wrote 1,000 words in my lame space opera (not the regular space opera I'm also working on).

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #524 on: March 13, 2019, 07:56:43 AM »
I wrote 1,365 words today.  The characters have one more adventure to survive before reaching the place they need to reach to get the thing they need to go fight the bad guy.  Getting close to 150k.  Might be wrapped up in under 175k.  We'll see.

Also, wrote 56 words on the lame space opera.  I have almost 3k words written for it, plus I have about another 20k words of material that if I can edit and tie it into a cohesive whole would give me about 23k words of story and then if I write another 7k words to bring it in around 30k, I'd have a novella-sized story.  And that would give me a book in the space opera genre which hopefully maybe might possibly help with sales of the other full-length, more serious space opera when it's finished.  (That one is around 58k words at the moment.)

And, because I couldn't stop myself, I worked on the cover for the lame space opera.  Mostly the typography and the space background.  Still need to do a spaceship.

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #525 on: March 14, 2019, 07:53:31 AM »
I only wrote 250 words today, unless I write more later tonight.  Not as close to 150k as I thought.  My word count includes about 1,500 words of notes and such, so instead of being at 148k, I am actually around 146.5k.

Having trouble coming up with a character name today too.  I rarely have problems with names.  I see other authors complain about difficulties coming up with character names and I'm all like, pfft, what's up with that?  It's easy.  Not hard at all.  Geesh.  And here I am stuck for a name, as in nothing is coming to mind.

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #526 on: March 14, 2019, 07:58:21 AM »
Oh, I did write 277 words in my lame space opera today and one word in my "serious" space opera, which was a net gain of zero words because I changed a word.

Sad thing is that this lame space opera should be easy.  As I mentioned yesterday, I have a bunch of already written content for it that I just need to merge together into a cohesive story which shouldn't be hard and I know mostly how to do it.  And then add some stuff and, presto!, it'd be done, finished, finito.  I should be able to wrap it up in a week or so, ideally.  I have ideas I know I want to work in and such, but then when I sit down to do it, it's like everything goes blank and a lot of the words that do come out don't work.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #527 on: March 16, 2019, 03:08:09 AM »
Wrote 1194 this morning. Not what I wanted to reach, but I got a late start.

The two ladies are still fighting it out for top spot and so far they are neck and neck. I have the feeling that will change soon and my original lady will emerge the clear winner.

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #528 on: March 16, 2019, 03:12:34 AM »
I only wrote 615 words yesterday.  I guess I can try to excuse the lower word count by the fact of spending time pulling out descriptions of a character they're soon to meet from a different WIP where the character has already appeared.

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #529 on: March 16, 2019, 05:16:10 AM »
I started a new draft last night and cranked out about 1100 words.  My goal is to finish the draft before the end of April.  I rarely meet my own self-imposed deadlines, though.

Anyway, book 4 of Wheel of Fire is now officially under way.   :writethink:
v  v  v  v  v    Short Stories    v  v  v  v  v    vv FREE! vv

Genres: Science Fiction, Fantasy (some day) | Author Website

The following users thanked this post: Lorri Moulton, Post-Crisis D, idontknowyet

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #530 on: March 16, 2019, 05:26:19 AM »
I rarely meet my own self-imposed deadlines, though.

I know the feeling.  My space opera was supposed to be finished in a month.  That was two and half years ago.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #531 on: March 18, 2019, 03:18:56 AM »
Moving right along, I managed 1678 words today. That brings me to 6K+ words. Characters are showing signs of life and the story is advancing.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2019, 08:51:02 AM by Maggie Ann »

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #532 on: March 18, 2019, 06:08:21 AM »
I wrote 205 words on Friday and 120 words on Saturday.  None yet for today.

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #533 on: March 19, 2019, 09:16:32 AM »
I wrote 325 words yesterday and 660 words today, bringing it up to 150k words which means I'm actually about 1,500 words short of 150k.  Also had to do some research on ancient women’s clothing so one can only imagine the types of ads I'll be seeing for a while now.  :shrug

Maggie Ann

« Reply #534 on: March 19, 2019, 12:25:04 PM »
Spent the day on research. If I want to stay accurate (and I do), I'll have to change a few things. Also redid the cover for the umpteenth time. Hopefully, I'll get some writing done tomorrow.

Lorri Moulton

« Reply #535 on: March 19, 2019, 12:50:05 PM »
Sorry I've been gone.  Taking some online business tech courses for work and got really busy with finals.  However, I did finish spy book 4 this weekend (yay!) which leaves only one to go. They're short, but fun to write. 

I hope everyone had a wonderful St. Patrick's day!  :mhk9U91:

Maggie Ann

« Reply #536 on: March 20, 2019, 02:11:16 AM »
I had planned on going to the library to write today, but the weather was so nasty, I couldn't bring myself to get dressed and leave the house. But, I know I really have to buckle down and work at least five days a week, so I was on a mission to find a way to write at home.

Success!! Another 1,557 words down on the screen. And my ladies once and for all decided which one this story is about. Not the one I thought a couple of days ago, but there is now a definite winner.

The following users thanked this post: Lorri Moulton, Post-Crisis D

Maggie Ann

« Reply #537 on: March 21, 2019, 03:44:29 AM »
Two days of writing in a row. So far, so good, but I don't want to jinx myself. I had to stop and do a bit of research a few times so my word count is only 1,004. Not as good as yesterday, but at least I've added to the MS. I'm up to 9K and a bit. Only another 70K to go.

The following users thanked this post: Lorri Moulton

Kate Elizabeth

« Reply #538 on: March 21, 2019, 08:12:52 AM »
I can't remember the exact amount, but it was 520ish this afternoon.  I told my animals, but they really didn't care.

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #539 on: March 21, 2019, 09:01:57 AM »
I wrote 150 words yesterday and 255 words for today so far which may go up if I write later but given my track record lately that's probably not going to happen.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #540 on: March 22, 2019, 02:06:12 AM »
My new writing nook is working to the tune of 1,082 words today. Hope I can keep it up.

The following users thanked this post: Lorri Moulton, Post-Crisis D

sandree

« Reply #541 on: March 23, 2019, 05:23:36 AM »
I’m going to jump in. I’m finally finished with my first book launch and as much marketing as I can figure out at this point. Seems like it’s time for book two. I wrote 441 words yesterday and 590 today.

My problem is that I never know where the heck my story is going. I only seem to be able to see bits and pieces of it. So I guess I will just peer ahead and write whatever scenes I can see, then piece them together later - which is how it went the last time. I was hoping I could plan it out...but so far that is not happening.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #542 on: March 24, 2019, 05:34:16 AM »
I’m going to jump in. I’m finally finished with my first book launch and as much marketing as I can figure out at this point. Seems like it’s time for book two. I wrote 441 words yesterday and 590 today.

My problem is that I never know where the heck my story is going. I only seem to be able to see bits and pieces of it. So I guess I will just peer ahead and write whatever scenes I can see, then piece them together later - which is how it went the last time. I was hoping I could plan it out...but so far that is not happening.

Congrats on the launch. Much luck with it.

That's the way I always write. I just go where my characters lead me. The WiP is definitely character led. They sent me off in a direction of their own a few days ago. Now, 1162 words later, they are still headed the same way. Thank goodness. I will have to change a few descriptions in the beginning, but nothing major.

The following users thanked this post: Lorri Moulton, sandree

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #543 on: March 24, 2019, 11:57:03 AM »
I wrote 295 words Thursday, 620 words yesterday and 235 words today.

Had the current scene all worked out in my head earlier today while I was busy doing other things but when I was on the computer to work on it, lots of it went away.  Will try again tomorrow, hoping to remember the whole conversation between the two characters that talk in the scene tomorrow.

The characters need to escape this minor villain so they can get back on track with their mission to stop the big bad.

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #544 on: March 25, 2019, 09:17:44 AM »
I wrote 625 words today.

Also, missed that yesterday put me over the 150k mark for real.

Lorri Moulton

« Reply #545 on: March 26, 2019, 01:58:12 AM »
I wrote 625 words today.

Also, missed that yesterday put me over the 150k mark for real.

That's great, Dan!  :goodpost:

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #546 on: March 26, 2019, 08:00:34 AM »
I wrote 1,030 words today.

solo

• Short Story unlocked
  • "By the hoary balls of Nergal!"
« Reply #547 on: March 26, 2019, 12:59:13 PM »
I really have to thank the OP. Since I joined this thread, there's an open notebook on my desk where I write my daily word count. There are empty days, of course. But I believe I am now more productive.

For now, I have 2 WIP. Each is listed on the page and below the title, in column form, are the dates and number of words per day for each WIP. An example would be the period March 8 to 24: a total of around 29k words (6k for one WIP and 24k for the other).

Seeing my daily production in black and white seem to do it for me.

The following users thanked this post: Lorri Moulton, Maggie Ann, sandree

Maggie Ann

« Reply #548 on: March 27, 2019, 08:19:42 AM »
I managed 271 words before I had to do some research.

:HB :rant :dizzy :help :writethink:  because what I found out is that probably 75% or so of the historical facts are totally inaccurate.  PIFFLE. The overall history is correct because I've been researching that right along. It's the details ... important details ... that are wrong.

For example, my story takes place in 1237 in Wales and I used the title baronet. First, that title wasn't created in England until 1611. Second, English titles weren't used in Wales until mid-16th century. I'll do more research, but I'm afraid I'll have to either change the story drastically, or change the location.

:HB :HB :HB :HB :HB

solo

• Short Story unlocked
  • "By the hoary balls of Nergal!"
« Reply #549 on: March 28, 2019, 01:55:16 AM »
I managed 271 words before I had to do some research.

:HB :rant :dizzy :help :writethink:  because what I found out is that probably 75% or so of the historical facts are totally inaccurate.  PIFFLE. The overall history is correct because I've been researching that right along. It's the details ... important details ... that are wrong.

For example, my story takes place in 1237 in Wales and I used the title baronet. First, that title wasn't created in England until 1611. Second, English titles weren't used in Wales until mid-16th century. I'll do more research, but I'm afraid I'll have to either change the story drastically, or change the location.

:HB :HB :HB :HB :HB

Research does take up time. But better a researched book than a reader pointing out embarrassing inconsistencies later in a review.

The following users thanked this post: Lorri Moulton, Maggie Ann