Author Topic: Looking for advice on when to go wide  (Read 1257 times)

DCRWrites

• Blurb unlocked
  • Creator of Doc Vandal; A Writer Writes
Looking for advice on when to go wide
« on: December 29, 2019, 12:13:25 PM »
To cut a long story short, I have a licensed RPG supplement for my Doc Vandal pulp series currently scheduled to come out some time in 2020. As the supplement will be available on non-Amazon sites such as DriveThruRPG and the publisher's own storefront I am planning to take the series wide to take advantage of cross-promotion.

My question is whether I should take it wide as soon as the current KU period ends or wait until I have a firm date from the publisher and try to take it wide when the game supplement releases?

Genres: Pulp Adventures, Science Fiction, and Fantasy

DrewMcGunn

Re: Looking for advice on when to go wide
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2019, 02:48:36 PM »
I can't say for sure, given that a bit more than half my income comes from KU, so I'm predisposed to remain. But I looked at your rankings and it seems that you may be well-posed to take the plunge into wide. As far as when, if I were you, there are a couple of things I'd consider. First, how much money do you think you'd make from KU between now and when the game supplement releases? If it's negligible, then you don't lose much by choosing to go wide now. Also, you've got more advertizing options by going wide, at least I think so. If you have the means, you might make sure your books are wide ahead of the new release and line up some promos on your 1st in series, to see if you can juice sales.

Please bear in mind that we're all seeking what works to find sales. I don't have a crystal ball. Good luck.

Drew McGunn

LilyBLily

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2019, 02:52:51 PM »
It would be politic to ask the publisher if there is a specific reason not to take it wide immediately. If this is a press with a good publicity plan, you don't want to mess it up. Then again, you could help build interest in the supplement by taking your book wide as soon as possible.

The following users thanked this post: DrewMcGunn

DCRWrites

• Blurb unlocked
  • Creator of Doc Vandal; A Writer Writes
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2019, 03:27:05 PM »
Thanks, I'll definitely have to think about it.

Genres: Pulp Adventures, Science Fiction, and Fantasy

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
  • Earth Galaxy core, 2618
    • The Hunter Imperium Universe
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2019, 06:59:30 PM »
Normally I'd say stay in KU as long as possible.

But having a quick peek at 3 of your book ranks, I doubt you'll be losing much by exiting KU at the first opportunity.

What you should be looking at is a wide launch plan, which has the existing books setting up for the launch of the first new one. So exiting KU should be based on when you need each book launched wide, in a rapid sequence leading to the new ones.
Genres: Space Opera/Fantasy/Cyberpunk, with elements of LitRPG and GameLit, with a touch of the Supernatural. Also Spiritual and Games.

Timothy Ellis Kindle Author page. | Join the Hunter Legacy mailing list | The Hunter Imperium Universe on Facebook. | Forum Promo Page.