Author Topic: Signatures  (Read 44092 times)

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
  • Earth Galaxy core, 2618
    • The Hunter Imperium Universe
Signatures
« on: September 16, 2018, 01:48:44 PM »
For now, these are the restrictions for signatures. They may change as we determine what is good, and what is excessive.

There is an allowance for up to 9 Thumbnails.
There is an allowance for up to 3000 characters.
Links should only be to book related destinations or your own book related website.

Links to non-book related sites may be removed.

Your Kboards signature should work here, although it may need editing to remove Kboards addresses and affiliate information. The core images and links generated by the Signature Tool there, can be cut and paste into your signature here. This is about the first third of the full signature.

For erotica writers, your signature may contain book covers, and links to the books. But please be choosy about which ones to use, especially if you intend to use the public areas. Valid complaints may result in you being asked to remove a cover. As long as it's tasteful, there shouldn't be a problem.

It is a good idea to state in your signature what Genre(s) you write in. Advise often varies by genre and its a good idea if the reader can see your genre at a glance.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2018, 11:04:31 PM by TimothyEllis »
Genres: Space Opera/Fantasy/Cyberpunk, with elements of LitRPG and GameLit, with a touch of the Supernatural. Also Spiritual and Games.

Timothy Ellis Kindle Author page. | Join the Hunter Legacy mailing list | The Hunter Imperium Universe on Facebook. | Forum Promo Page.

The following users thanked this post: kdiem, Tedski_PT

T. M. Bilderback

• Short Story unlocked
  • "Will you do it for a Scooby-snack?"
    • T. M. Bilderback
Re: Signatures
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2018, 08:15:00 AM »
Okay, Timothy, I'm an idiot...where do we enter the links or pics for our book covers?  Is it in the "signature" area?  Or is there somewhere that requires ASIN numbers?
"Oh, the shame of it...my father, beaten by a giant mouse."

Pandorra

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2018, 08:46:26 AM »
TM go to your 'forum profile' and the big signature box at the bottom, post your links in there and they will show in your posts. That seems to be the only option here but it's easy to use. If you have them listed on the old site, just copy that one and paste it in this one and it works!
« Last Edit: September 17, 2018, 08:49:21 AM by Pandorra »

Dean Rencraft | Authors in Motion

Bill Hiatt

• Trilogy unlocked
  • Tickling the imagination one book at a time
    • Bill Hiatt's Author Website
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2018, 08:59:07 AM »
Do you mean literally paste links? Like T. M. Bilderback, I'm a little at a loss. I'm missing the signature tool. Perhaps we need a tutorial for those of us who don't have a clue about BB code.

Tickling the imagination one book at a time
Bill Hiatt | fiction website | education website | Facebook author page | Twitter

Demon_Lord

• Novella unlocked
  • FYI I often modify my post to correct typos.
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2018, 09:44:26 AM »
Are we allow to use our own affiliate IDs?

Tulonsae

• Novella unlocked
  • This place is addicting, isn't it?
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2018, 10:10:29 AM »
Do you mean literally paste links? Like T. M. Bilderback, I'm a little at a loss. I'm missing the signature tool. Perhaps we need a tutorial for those of us who don't have a clue about BB code.

If you go into your Profile on KBoards and Click Modify Profile, then scroll down, you'll see Signature with a text box next to it. That's your KBoards signature. You should be able to just copy all the text/code in that box. Then paste it into your signature here.

Note: I haven't tested it, but if you try that and it doesn't work - I'll do some tests to see if there are any gotchas.
Genre: Science Fiction

Pandorra

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2018, 10:40:12 AM »

If you go into your Profile on KBoards and Click Modify Profile, then scroll down, you'll see Signature with a text box next to it. That's your KBoards signature. You should be able to just copy all the text/code in that box. Then paste it into your signature here.

Note: I haven't tested it, but if you try that and it doesn't work - I'll do some tests to see if there are any gotchas.

No, that should work for them, I used it myself when I came over hoping to not have to type it all over again. I think its the only way for them to add the links as well, so if one of us can get a clean screenshot or series of them to show instead of tell, it might be helpful. I'll try to get some myself after my word count is done if nobody gets to it before then.

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2018, 11:28:11 AM »

Yes. When you do the copy from KB, paste into an editor first, and replace their affiliate code with yours. Then copy and paste into your profile.

The only issue with a direct copy and paste, is Kboards new owners might object to their site being in code on another site.

Also, if you just cut and paste, Kboards gets the affiliate money if someone presses the link.

Genres: Space Opera/Fantasy/Cyberpunk, with elements of LitRPG and GameLit, with a touch of the Supernatural. Also Spiritual and Games.

Timothy Ellis Kindle Author page. | Join the Hunter Legacy mailing list | The Hunter Imperium Universe on Facebook. | Forum Promo Page.

Demon_Lord

• Novella unlocked
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2018, 01:58:03 PM »

Yes. When you do the copy from KB, paste into an editor first, and replace their affiliate code with yours. Then copy and paste into your profile.

The only issue with a direct copy and paste, is Kboards new owners might object to their site being in code on another site.

Also, if you just cut and paste, Kboards gets the affiliate money if someone presses the link.

Thanks, good to know.

Bill Hiatt

• Trilogy unlocked
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2018, 02:51:23 AM »
Thanks, guys, I got it figured out.

Related question: Do we need to scale a profile picture, or does it scale automatically? (I should remember that, but it's been a long time since I set up my Kboards profile.)

Bill Hiatt | fiction website | education website | Facebook author page | Twitter

guest14

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2018, 03:00:05 AM »
It will scale to the forum's expectations.

Bill Hiatt

• Trilogy unlocked
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2018, 06:39:47 AM »
It will scale to the forum's expectations.
Thanks!

It's worth noting that the upload will fail if the image is too large. If it isn't, the software will scale it appropriately.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2018, 06:51:24 AM by Bill Hiatt »

Mark Gardner

« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2018, 07:02:47 AM »
From time to time, I run kick starters to get this or that book-related thing funded. When I do this, I usually change all my profiles to a Kickstarter banner. For example:

Is this cool?

Luke Everhart

• Long Novel unlocked
  • Energizer bunny arrested: charged with battery. 😔
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2018, 01:43:25 AM »
Trying to upload my avatar pic I got an error "upload directory unavailable". Just FYI
Urban Fantasy Author
Magic & Mirth meets Action & Attitude

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2018, 02:13:06 AM »
Trying to upload my avatar pic I got an error "upload directory unavailable". Just FYI

Try again now. I think I put that fire out.

Tonyonline

« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2018, 03:57:59 AM »
Can somebody post the bb code so I can copy it to display my books.
Thanks.

Mark Gardner

« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2018, 05:24:21 AM »
Can somebody post the bb code so I can copy it to display my books.
Thanks.

the best way is to go to your amazon page and right click on the cover of the book and "open image in a new tab" or whatever your OS/browser combination allows you to do. you can use the URL in the address bar as your image source, and the amazon book link as your url (I'd just include amazon.com dp (for digital product?) and the ASIN.

[url]https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DRL3FXQ/][img]https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/61y06jUPFZL.jpg[/img][/url]
« Last Edit: September 20, 2018, 05:31:22 AM by Article94 »

Tulonsae

• Novella unlocked
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2018, 05:31:52 AM »
So Simon's avatar picture is showing up for Timothy. Which confused me because, I was like - Simon is now an admin?

Maybe it's just my cache?

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2018, 10:01:03 AM »

Most likely.
Mulder: "If you're distracted by fear of those around you, it keeps you from seeing the actions of those above."
The X-Files: "Blood"

The following users thanked this post: Mark Gardner

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2018, 11:37:03 AM »
So Simon's avatar picture is showing up for Timothy. Which confused me because, I was like - Simon is now an admin?

I saw that. Some crazy stuff is happening.

I think it was because mine was missing. Once I uploaded it again, it fixed itself.

Captain Cranky

« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2018, 03:47:34 PM »
Timothy, is there any way to have a 'books I'm reading' type thing in my signature, like at kboards? I don't any of my own books to link to just yet, but I'd be happy to link to other books with your affiliate code if it will help contribute financially  :icon_biggrin:
If you dare nothing, then when the day is over nothing is all you will have gained. -Neil Gaiman

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2018, 03:54:53 PM »
Timothy, is there any way to have a 'books I'm reading' type thing in my signature, like at kboards? I don't any of my own books to link to just yet, but I'd be happy to link to other books with your affiliate code if it will help contribute financially  :icon_biggrin:

Not at the moment.

We really need a php programmer author on hand who can make a few of these things for us.

guest14

« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2018, 04:08:01 PM »
Anyone else having a - contact Admin when they go to 'View replies to your posts'?

Dragovian

• Ready Player One
  • Blurb unlocked
  • For the Alliance on Velen-US
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2018, 04:16:58 PM »
Timothy, thanks for creating this place.

My sig currently has a link to a site that's writing related (using game-like incentives to encourage daily writing), but not specifically book related. I hope that's acceptable; it has me on a 200+ day writing streak because I'm a sucker for virtual rewards.
Want no more zero days? Try 4thewords! Defeat monsters via word count, get rewarded for writing streaks, and get competitive by tracking your leaderboard position. Use my referral code PFXBS32680 and we both get crystals with your first month's subscription.

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2018, 04:20:47 PM »
Timothy, thanks for creating this place.

My sig currently has a link to a site that's writing related (using game-like incentives to encourage daily writing), but not specifically book related. I hope that's acceptable; it has me on a 200+ day writing streak because I'm a sucker for virtual rewards.

No problems.  :Tup3a:

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2018, 11:05:24 PM »
Added the suggestion to include the Genre(s) you write in your signature.

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked

guest14

« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2018, 11:27:31 PM »
Added the suggestion to include the Genre(s) you write in your signature.

I like this - done  :Tup4a:

Tonyonline

« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2018, 02:35:59 AM »
the best way is to go to your amazon page and right click on the cover of the book and "open image in a new tab" or whatever your OS/browser combination allows you to do. you can use the URL in the address bar as your image source, and the amazon book link as your url (I'd just include amazon.com dp (for digital product?) and the ASIN.

[url]https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DRL3FXQ/][img]https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/61y06jUPFZL.jpg[/img][/url]

Haha as someone who just spent half an hour tinkering and trying to work out why my copy/pasted code didn't work, before eventually resorting to Dr. Google, I thought newcomers might appreciate not having to do the same  :icon_rofl:

Thank you both  Grin
« Last Edit: September 21, 2018, 02:38:02 AM by Tonyonline »

Tonyonline

« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2018, 04:25:09 AM »
Damn! No idea what I'm doing wrong but the size is massive  :huh:

I've used this code below (minus the gaps) but look at the size... :huh: (I will delete this post when sorted, unless someone else is having the same problem & it will help them too...geez I hope it's not just me  :icon_redface:

[ url=https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07H5QYKXJ][ img]https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/41qHDOAEutL.jpg [/img][/url]

CM Raymond

• Tag Line unlocked
« Reply #30 on: September 21, 2018, 06:44:46 AM »
Same

Denise

« Reply #31 on: September 21, 2018, 09:58:17 AM »
The code is this:

Please replace ( with [ and ) with ]

(table)(tr)(td)(url=Your Book URL)(img)Your cover image url._SL125_.jpg(/img)(/url) (/td)(td)(url=your second book url)(img)Your 2nd cover image url._SL125_.jpg(/img)(/url) (/td)(/tr)(/table)

(table)(tr)(td)(url=site url)Site name(/url)(/td)(td)(url=Site  2 URL(/url)Site 2 name(/td)(/tr)(/table)

For each book, add (tr)(td)(url=Your Book URL)(img)Your cover image url._SL125_.jpg(/img)(/url) (/td) 

Book images: after the address of the image, and before .jpg  , substitute what's there (something like __BG0,0,0,0_FMpng_AC_UL160_SR103,160_)  for _SL125_

Only close using (/table) when you want to finish a line and start a new one.

You can paste this in a text editor, add your info, then use find and replace to substitute ( for [ and ) for ]

Also, to add Timothy's affiliate code, add /?tag=cirofatl-20 at the end of the book url.

« Last Edit: September 23, 2018, 12:27:43 AM by DayLight »

The following users thanked this post: Tulonsae, Tonyonline, Carleton Chinner, maddie sutton

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
« Reply #32 on: September 21, 2018, 11:57:03 AM »
Ok, seems we need a size limitation on signature pics. Will look at it.

Pandorra

« Reply #33 on: September 22, 2018, 01:10:17 PM »
Test.. if you see anything I missed yell.

ETA - I think I got it!

Decon

« Reply #34 on: September 22, 2018, 01:29:10 PM »
Not sure which part of the KB signature is the KB affiliate link as per what follows:-

=http://amazon.com/dp/B075H4G7X1/?tag=kbsig-20][/url]

Any ideas? Or is it on a section I've deleted?
« Last Edit: September 22, 2018, 01:33:13 PM by Decon »

Tulonsae

• Novella unlocked
« Reply #35 on: September 22, 2018, 01:32:03 PM »
From what I read in other posts, the kbsig-20 and also kbsig-21 are their codes.

Max

« Reply #36 on: September 22, 2018, 01:34:18 PM »
Not sure which part of the KB signature is the KB affiliate link as per what follows:-

=http://amazon.com/dp/B075H4G7X1/?tag=kbsig-20][/url]

Any ideas? Or is it on a section I've deleted?

?tag=kbsig-20

The following users thanked this post: She-la-te-da

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
« Reply #37 on: September 22, 2018, 01:36:33 PM »
From what I read in other posts, the kbsig-20 and also kbsig-21 are their codes.

I've seen another variation as well.

If you are not going to use your own code, delete the ?tag=(whatever) part. Or replace (whatever) with mine. (thanks if you do)

Straker

« Reply #38 on: September 22, 2018, 03:32:55 PM »
Another refugee from KBoards just arrived. Maybe I'm blind but I don't see an option for adding an avatar on the profile screen. Can someone point me in the right direction?

Tulonsae

• Novella unlocked
« Reply #39 on: September 22, 2018, 03:34:16 PM »
Another refugee from KBoards just arrived. Maybe I'm blind but I don't see an option for adding an avatar on the profile screen. Can someone point me in the right direction?

Go to your Groups Membership and change your default to the registered group. Then the options will appear. If you have one of the other groups as your default, they won't.

Straker

« Reply #40 on: September 22, 2018, 05:10:29 PM »

Go to your Groups Membership and change your default to the registered group. Then the options will appear. If you have one of the other groups as your default, they won't.

That worked, thank you very much.

The following users thanked this post: YouMeWe

M R M

« Reply #41 on: September 22, 2018, 06:49:21 PM »
And now you are looking at a writer who wiped his sig without saving it lol
(____________ F A N T A S Y ____________) (____________S C I E N C E   F I C T I O N ____________)

Australian Science Fiction and Fantasy Author M R Mortimer
| Author Web Site | Facebook Page | Twitter Page | Fantasy Series

LMareeApps

« Reply #42 on: September 22, 2018, 06:54:46 PM »
The code is this:

Please replace ( with [ and ) with ]

(table)(tr)(td)(url=Your Book URL)(img)Your cover image url ending in .jpg(/img)(/url) (/td)(td)(url=your second book url)(img)Cover URL(/img)(/url) (/td)(/tr)(/table)(table)(tr)(td)(url=site url)Site name(/url)(/td)(td)(url=Site  2 URL(/url)Site 2 name(/td)(/tr)(/table)

For each book, add (tr)(td)(url=Your Book URL)(img)Your cover image url ending in .jpg(/img)(/url) (/td) 

Only close using (/table) when you want to finish a line and start a new one.

You can paste this in a text editor, add your info, then use find and replace to substitute ( for [ and ) for ]

Also, to add Timothy's affiliate code, add /?tag=cirofatl-20 at the end of the book url.

Thank you!  Now to see if I nailed it or failed it...
ETA: WHOA!!  Sorry! How do I fix the image sizes?
ETA2:  :banana: :dance: Fixed it!  You can either just use the addresses from the thumbnail images on Amazon, or include ._SL100_. before the jpeg suffix on the normal Amazon image address.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2018, 07:08:44 PM by LMareeApps »
Genres: Romance and Erotica

M R M

« Reply #43 on: September 22, 2018, 09:42:08 PM »
OK so my sig is coming together, but now I need to figure out how to dump this stupid white space between covers. maybe its on the amazon thumbs... hmmm
« Last Edit: September 22, 2018, 09:49:48 PM by M R M »
(____________ F A N T A S Y ____________) (____________S C I E N C E   F I C T I O N ____________)

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
« Reply #44 on: September 22, 2018, 09:54:55 PM »
OK so my sig is coming together, but now I need to figure out how to dump this stupid white space between covers. maybe its on the amazon thumbs... hmmm

At a guess, you put a hard return after each line. If you run all the code together, you probably wont get the gaps.

M R M

« Reply #45 on: September 22, 2018, 10:03:49 PM »
nope, its the thumbs which is odd. I am re-getting the links.

Bill Hiatt

• Trilogy unlocked
« Reply #46 on: September 22, 2018, 11:04:18 PM »
Forgive me if this has already been mentioned, but it might be good to have a signature tool the way Kboards does. Is that another one of those things that we need a php programmer for? (I was hoping maybe it was a utility of some kind that might be available already.

Tonyonline

« Reply #47 on: September 22, 2018, 11:05:30 PM »
Think I might have to give up  :undecided:

This is the code I used from Daylight above, I tried one book for now but it's still big  :icon_think:  :undecided:

(table](tr](td](url=https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01A7I010S](img]https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/41qHDOAEutL.jpg(/img](/url](/td](/tr](/table]

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
« Reply #48 on: September 22, 2018, 11:07:56 PM »
Think I might have to give up  :undecided:

This is the code I used from Daylight above, I tried one book for now but it's still big

For the image, go to the book page, right click on the image, and select save location. This gives you the url to the thumbnail, and insert that into your signature.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2018, 11:18:13 PM by TimothyEllis »

Tonyonline

« Reply #49 on: September 22, 2018, 11:09:07 PM »
Forgive me if this has already been mentioned, but it might be good to have a signature tool the way Kboards does. Is that another one of those things that we need a php programmer for? (I was hoping maybe it was a utility of some kind that might be available already.

You mean this thing? I took a screen shot of my numbers one time. I was hoping it would have one...I need it  :icon_wink:

M R M

« Reply #50 on: September 22, 2018, 11:10:22 PM »
where you have
 img

(NOT where you have /img)

change it to

img height=125

and of course keep the brackets etc around it

The following users thanked this post: Tonyonline

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
« Reply #51 on: September 22, 2018, 11:19:58 PM »

You mean this thing? I took a screen shot of my numbers one time. I was hoping it would have one...I need it  :icon_wink:

Its on the list. One forum member is going to look at the possibility of building something like it. If its too much though, we'll need a good php programmer.

M R M

« Reply #52 on: September 22, 2018, 11:35:22 PM »
The bit I am unsure of is how to get such a thing to use the ASIN to find both a book link and a thumbnail. I've read loads of sig generating code recently, and none of it addresses that lol.

Tonyonline

« Reply #53 on: September 22, 2018, 11:36:10 PM »
where you have
 img
change it to
 img height=125

Thank you, I'm getting there...almost...the problem I have now :rolleyes: is that they all link to the same book  :icon_think:...and wow! When clicked on individually they go BIG, try it and see  :shocked:

The code I used

(table](tr](td](url=https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01A7I010S)(img height=125)https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/41qHDOAEutL.jpg(/img)(/url)(/td)(td)(url=https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01A7I010S](img height=125)https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/41sn8d6yWfL.jpg(/img](/url)(/td)(td)(url=https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01A7I010S](img height=125)https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/516k3edVtYL.jpg(/img)(/url](/td)[/tr)(/table)

« Last Edit: September 22, 2018, 11:38:37 PM by Tonyonline »

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
« Reply #54 on: September 22, 2018, 11:43:41 PM »
Why are you using ()? Should be [].

The following users thanked this post: She-la-te-da

M R M

« Reply #55 on: September 22, 2018, 11:46:34 PM »
I assume he is doing that so it displays instead of processing. Protip though Tonyonline: Use [ c o d e ] and [ / c o d e ] tags and you can display it normally.

Looks like:
Code: [Select]
[br][bbcode junk in here]

Also the going big thing is normal I think. Because it "opens" the full size image when you clock on it. Refreshing the page makes it small again.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2018, 11:48:40 PM by M R M »

Tonyonline

« Reply #56 on: September 22, 2018, 11:47:34 PM »

I'm only using that in the example so it doesn't display.

The code displaying the books has the correct brackets...and the problem  :rolleyes:

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
« Reply #57 on: September 22, 2018, 11:51:50 PM »

I'm only using that in the example so it doesn't display.

The code displaying the books has the correct brackets...and the problem  :rolleyes:

There is a # button above the smilies. Highlight and click that, and it puts it in a box, so it wont execute. Code button.

Tonyonline

« Reply #58 on: September 22, 2018, 11:53:14 PM »
I assume he is doing that so it displays instead of processing. Protip though Tonyonline: Use [ c o d e ] and [ / c o d e ] tags and you can display it normally.

Looks like:
[br][bbcode junk in here]

Also the going big thing is normal I think. Because it "opens" the full size image when you clock on it. Refreshing the page makes it small again.

Thanks for your help so far, much appreciated...So, I have to put a (br] somewhere?...or...maybe I just replace all the img links, with a link to my author page and they see all three  :icon_neutral:
« Last Edit: September 22, 2018, 11:57:35 PM by Tonyonline »

M R M

« Reply #59 on: September 22, 2018, 11:55:32 PM »
no, that was just me not watching my fingers... :Tup3a: :Tup4a: :Tup5a:

Tonyonline

« Reply #60 on: September 22, 2018, 11:59:44 PM »
no, that was just me not watching my fingers... :Tup3a: :Tup4a: :Tup5a:

Oh right  Grin

I think until I get this sorted I'll change the img links to my author page.

Denise

« Reply #61 on: September 23, 2018, 12:09:44 AM »
On the code:

If the images are too big

In the image URL, you might see something like _SX322_BO1,204,203,200_ after the address, and before .jpg

Substitute that for _SL125_

See if it works.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2018, 12:14:19 AM by DayLight »

The following users thanked this post: Tonyonline, M R M

Denise

« Reply #62 on: September 23, 2018, 12:11:53 AM »
where you have
 img
change it to
 img height=125

Thank you, I'm getting there...almost...the problem I have now :rolleyes: is that they all link to the same book  :icon_think:...and wow! When clicked on individually they go BIG, try it and see  :shocked:

The code I used

(table](tr](td](url=https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01A7I010S)(img height=125)https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/41qHDOAEutL.jpg(/img)(/url)(/td)(td)(url=https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01A7I010S](img height=125)https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/41sn8d6yWfL.jpg(/img](/url)(/td)(td)(url=https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01A7I010S](img height=125)https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/516k3edVtYL.jpg(/img)(/url](/td)[/tr)(/table)

Just change the book URL's for the correct books. If you see, you have the same URL for all books.

I hope it works!

M R M

« Reply #63 on: September 23, 2018, 12:14:24 AM »
Here is my signature code for you to look through.
First image line is my bar across the top. I set my thumbnails to 110 to make room for that. Then the books, with link and img tag after that. I have broken it up in the box but in the actual sig they run on one after another.

Novels by M R Mortimer
[img]http://*MY WEB HOST URL*/ssbartitled.png[/img]

[url=http://amazon.com/dp/B01EZGTR58/][img height=110]http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51HKOPwsbtL._SL125_.jpg[/img][/url]

[url=https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MU74OKB/ref=dbs_a_def_rwt_hsch_vapi_tkin_p1_i3][img height=110]https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51wRcrhsM2L._SY346_.jpg[/img][/URL]

[url=https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07826H1CY/ref=dbs_a_def_rwt_hsch_vapi_tkin_p1_i2][img height=110]https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51ZcwmXngML.jpg[/img][/URL]

[url=https://www.amazon.com/Starlight-ebook/dp/B005EA02UO/ref=ntt_at_ep_dpt_1][img height=110]https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51s7BS7XNJL._SY346_.jpg[/img][/url]

[url=https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0066YVI5U/ref=dbs_a_def_rwt_hsch_vapi_tkin_p1_i10][img height=110]https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51k5bQj3h1L._SY346_.jpg[/img][/url]

[url=https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CTN022M/ref=dbs_a_def_rwt_hsch_vapi_tkin_p1_i4][img height=110]https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51Pwv31d8VL.jpg[/img][/url]

[url=https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009KNLLX8/ref=dbs_a_def_rwt_hsch_vapi_tkin_p1_i6][img height=110]https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51O4qktFt1L._SY346_.jpg[/img][/url]

[url=https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00UPRYYYG/ref=dbs_a_def_rwt_hsch_vapi_tkin_p1_i1][img height=110]https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/61754W7UD-L._SX260_.jpg[/img][/url]

[br]Australian Science Fiction and Fantasy Author
[br]M R Mortimer |
[url=http://www.suspendedearth.com]Author Web Site[/url] |
[url=https://www.facebook.com/MRMortimerSciFi]Facebook Page[/url] |
[url=https://www.facebook.com/MRMortimerSciFi]Twitter Page[/url] |
[url=http://www.thecinderchronicles.com]Fantasy Series[/url]

Hope that helps. Just paste in your own img addresses and book links instead of mine.

Tonyonline

« Reply #64 on: September 23, 2018, 12:20:39 AM »
where you have
 img
change it to
 img height=125

The code I used

Just change the book URL's for the correct books. If you see, you have the same URL for all books.

I hope it works!

Thank you  :banana:
I'm sitting here slapping the side of my head  :embarrassed:

M R M

« Reply #65 on: September 23, 2018, 12:26:19 AM »
On the code:

In the image URL, you might see something like _SX322_BO1,204,203,200_ after the address, and before .jpg

See if it works.

I made that change on mine and it works a treat. Also, because I have mine reduced to 110, after clicking, they stand up a little larger at 125, so users know which they have clicked already at a glance without the cover being huge. I might leave it like that.

Tonyonline

« Reply #66 on: September 23, 2018, 12:26:58 AM »
Hey I've done it  :dance:
Um!
Hey you did it  :grouphug:

Geez look at me with a working sig  :icon_cool:

Demon_Lord

• Novella unlocked
« Reply #67 on: September 23, 2018, 12:30:26 AM »

As one who chose not to post books signatures, because my covers are too explicit, and could offend some...

I can't help to notice that most members still have the Kboard affiliate ID in theirs signatures. And others don't have any affiliate ID at all. If someone click on a book in this forum and goes to Amazon and buys a book, but the cover it sent them there didn't have a affiliate ID, the profit goes to whoever it was the last affiliate ID they had clicked through. And that's might probably be Kboard.

Well, done with that. And back to my writing.

« Last Edit: September 23, 2018, 12:33:24 AM by Demon_Lord »

Tonyonline

« Reply #68 on: September 23, 2018, 12:30:51 AM »
On the code:

See if it works.

I made that change on mine and it works a treat. Also, because I have mine reduced to 110, after clicking, they stand up a little larger at 125, so users know which they have clicked already at a glance without the cover being huge. I might leave it like that.

Yeah mine still go big...any chance you could post an example of how to do the code...I'll probably mess it up otherwise...thanks  :azn:
Now I have to work out how/where to put Tims affiliate code...scared to touch it now I've got it working  :rolleyes:
« Last Edit: September 23, 2018, 12:34:16 AM by Tonyonline »

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
« Reply #69 on: September 23, 2018, 12:37:19 AM »

As one who chose not to post books signatures, because my covers are too explicit, and could offend some...

I can't help to notice that most members still have the Kboard affiliate ID in theirs signatures. And others don't have any affiliate ID at all. If someone click on a book in this forum and goes to Amazon and buys a book, but the cover it sent them there didn't have a affiliate ID, the profit goes to whoever it was the last affiliate ID they had clicked through. And that's might probably be Kboard.

If you want to check some covers with me, PM me them. You must have something which is ok?

The issue of KB affiliate on signatures has an answer, but I dont know if its acceptable. It should be possible to write some code which when the signature is submitted, KB codes are removed. But this might not be acceptable to some people. They can also be replaced with my code, but this also might be unacceptable.

M R M

Tonyonline

« Reply #71 on: September 23, 2018, 12:43:43 AM »

If you want to check some covers with me, PM me them. You must have something which is ok?

The issue of KB affiliate on signatures has an answer, but I dont know if its acceptable. It should be possible to write some code which when the signature is submitted, KB codes are removed. But this might not be acceptable to some people. They can also be replaced with my code, but this also might be unacceptable.

Once I've we've worked out the correct code for the sig, including the size problem, like I'm getting, and placing the affiliate link, couldn't you just post the code for all to use at the start of this thread? I would have liked that  Grin

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
« Reply #72 on: September 23, 2018, 12:47:32 AM »
Once I've we've worked out the correct code for the sig, including the size problem, like I'm getting, and placing the affiliate link, couldn't you just post the code for all to use at the start of this thread? I would have liked that  Grin

If someone can post the code easiest for people to use, I'll put in the OP.

Tonyonline

« Reply #73 on: September 23, 2018, 12:53:55 AM »
This is your first image address:
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/41qHDOAEutL.jpg

change it to
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/41qHDOAEutL._SL125_.jpg

This is your second image address:
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/41sn8d6yWfL.jpg

change it to
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/41sn8d6yWfL._SL125_.jpg

this is your third image address
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/516k3edVtYL.jpg

change it to
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/516k3edVtYL._SL125_.jpg

YES  Grin...it works...you're a coding star and, Daylight/M R M and thanks to the others of course  :icon_smile:... Tim! We're nearly there...just have to do the affiliate link now and then I'll post my full sig code for you to copy.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2018, 12:59:11 AM by Tonyonline »

Tonyonline

« Reply #74 on: September 23, 2018, 01:08:13 AM »
Right!...here's a working code with affiliate link...no idea if the affiliate link is working correctly but it's there and the sig still works so I assume it is.  :cool:

Changed [ to (

(table)(tr)(td)(url=https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07H5QYKXJ/?tag=cirofatl-20)(img height=125]https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/41qHDOAEutL._SL125_.jpg(/img)(/url)(/td)(td)(url=https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MTEK4B1/?tag=cirofatl-20)(img height=125]https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/41sn8d6yWfL._SL125_.jpg(/img)(/url)(/td)(td)(url=https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01A7I010S/?tag=cirofatl-20][img height=125)https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/516k3edVtYL._SL125_.jpg(/img)(/url)(/td)(/tr)(/table)

Now I'm a coder  :icon_mrgreen: I might have a go at adding my twitter account...maybe not today though  :tongue:
« Last Edit: September 23, 2018, 01:11:50 AM by Tonyonline »

David VanDyke

• Long Novel unlocked
  • Full-time hybrid author and curmudgeon
    • David VanDyke's Author Website
« Reply #75 on: September 23, 2018, 03:12:13 AM »
I haven't seen it yet, and maybe it's not even possible, but maybe prohibit all animated stuff as part of signature or avatar. If it were up to me, I'd even prohibit animated emojis. I know, I'm a wet blanket, but there may be more people like me who have problems with animations?
Never listen to people with no skin in the game.

I'm a lucky guy. I find the harder I work, the luckier I am.

Those who prefer their English sloppy have only themselves to thank if the advertisement writer uses his mastery of the vocabulary and syntax to mislead their weak minds.

~ Dorothy L. Sayers

Demon_Lord

• Novella unlocked
« Reply #76 on: September 23, 2018, 04:03:35 AM »

I will, thank you.

Demon_Lord

• Novella unlocked
« Reply #77 on: September 23, 2018, 04:06:39 AM »
Right!...here's a working code with affiliate link...no idea if the affiliate link is working correctly but it's there and the sig still works so I assume it is.  :cool:

Changed [ to (

(table)(tr)(td)(url=https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07H5QYKXJ/?tag=cirofatl-20)(img height=125]https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/41qHDOAEutL._SL125_.jpg(/img)(/url)(/td)(td)(url=https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MTEK4B1/?tag=cirofatl-20)(img height=125]https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/41sn8d6yWfL._SL125_.jpg(/img)(/url)(/td)(td)(url=https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01A7I010S/?tag=cirofatl-20][img height=125)https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/516k3edVtYL._SL125_.jpg(/img)(/url)(/td)(/tr)(/table)

Now I'm a coder  :icon_mrgreen: I might have a go at adding my twitter account...maybe not today though  :tongue:

Congrats, you got it right.
 :smiley:

Rickie Blair

« Reply #78 on: September 23, 2018, 04:17:15 AM »
I have no idea what any of you are talking about.  :icon_lol:
(And I erased my signature at kboards, so I can't copy it. :icon_think: )
If you come up with a link-maker that's as easy to use as kboard's, I'll be all over it. Until then, my signature will be naked, sorry. (Does that mean I have to move to that "other" thread? :wink:)

Tonyonline

« Reply #79 on: September 23, 2018, 05:12:01 AM »
I have no idea what any of you are talking about.  :icon_lol:
(And I erased my signature at kboards, so I can't copy it. :icon_think: )
If you come up with a link-maker that's as easy to use as kboard's, I'll be all over it. Until then, my signature will be naked, sorry. (Does that mean I have to move to that "other" thread? :wink:)

As I'm kind of an expert now :nerd: and had lots of help, it's only right I offer some help myself...what is it you want to do? I can even do links to web sites  :icon_mrgreen:

The following users thanked this post: Rickie Blair

hardnox

« Reply #80 on: September 23, 2018, 06:30:29 AM »
With more than 20 years in PHP and web design with HTML, CSS, and javascript, I might be qualified.  grint HOWEVER, no promises at this time.

The KB signature app has three main components. I've downloaded all of them to browse. There's the form you see, which is a very simple HTML page with lots of tables; the CSS file which gives it color, size, font, and other visual attributes; and the killer, some javascript code.

What the script code does is take each ASIN and use it to scrape the Amazon book page for an image. I don't know yet whether it takes the cover image as shown and downsizes it, or finds another cover file somewhere on the page or elsewhere in the Amazon environment. I'd have to get intimate with the code. The script then somehow adds the image to the forum database, giving it a unique identifier and name, and uses that to create the BBCODE you see in the window when you make it.

When you approve the results, the script translates your work into the appropriate web page code, inserting the affiliation code in the process.

There's a lot of other functionality in both the web page and the javascript to handle social network links, website links, reader progress, custom text, and other options. Also, there is the preview web page with three format options and its underlying script code.

This is not a simple undertaking and the guts of it truly belong to KBoards. That means a wholesale rewrite of the look-and-feel as well as the script.

I retired from doing this stuff because I want to write fiction. So, I'm only describing the scope of what this entails, with the caveat that Sanctum can't just copy the code without risking IP infringement.

A simpler approach would require you to provide your own links to book cover images located elsewhere on the web. Your private webpage or one of the image repositories offered for free. This method would avoid the Amazon scraping script and simply build the signature code from the URL you provide.

If I were to tackle the replication effort, I'd allocate it to a team of two: one person to redesign the user interface, the other to develop and test the underlying javascript. The two would have to work together in test.

And all done gratis, because Timothy has already invested enough in this thing.

The following users thanked this post: Tulonsae, Alice Sabo

LSMay

« Reply #81 on: September 23, 2018, 07:29:04 AM »

There's nothing stopping you using their tool and copying that signature. You can copy the code at the 'preview' part, so you don't have to 'publish' any content to that site to do it. Please do remember to delete (or replace) the affiliate tags, though.

I'm perfectly happy to use Tim's affiliate tags - I don't have my own, and there is ongoing cost involved to running the forum. Even if there weren't, there is work involved, and if Tim makes a little money for all the work he puts in, that's fair enough.

L S May | Website | Twitter | Goodreads

A. N. Onymous

« Reply #82 on: September 23, 2018, 09:06:10 AM »
I am obviously just too old or stupid to make any of this work for me.  Timothy says go to book sale site and right click for save location? No such thing when I right click. I feel so...antiquated right now...obsolete...sigh...Going naked for the foreseeable future.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2018, 09:18:31 AM by Phoenix »

Tulonsae

• Novella unlocked
« Reply #83 on: September 23, 2018, 01:01:48 PM »
Okay, so I took a look at the bbcode that the KBoards sig tool produces. I have no idea about how you write modules for Simple Machines, but writing php to create a simple version of the tool doesn't look that hard. The only issue is: to get the images, I think the KBoards sig tool is using the Amazon Advertising API to get the image links. Since I don't have an Associate Tag and an Access Key, I can't do a simple test to verify that.

But I have some time this weekend, so I may play around with stuff and see just how "not hard" it really is. (No promises.)

Notes: I said a simple version, not what hardnox talks about.

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
« Reply #84 on: September 23, 2018, 02:08:40 PM »
I am obviously just too old or stupid to make any of this work for me.  Timothy says go to book sale site and right click for save location? No such thing when I right click. I feel so...antiquated right now...obsolete...sigh...Going naked for the foreseeable future.

Right click over the thumbnail of your book cover.

With more than 20 years in PHP and web design with HTML, CSS, and javascript, I might be qualified.  grint HOWEVER, no promises at this time.

The KB signature app has three main components. I've downloaded all of them to browse. There's the form you see, which is a very simple HTML page with lots of tables; the CSS file which gives it color, size, font, and other visual attributes; and the killer, some javascript code.

What the script code does is take each ASIN and use it to scrape the Amazon book page for an image. I don't know yet whether it takes the cover image as shown and downsizes it, or finds another cover file somewhere on the page or elsewhere in the Amazon environment. I'd have to get intimate with the code. The script then somehow adds the image to the forum database, giving it a unique identifier and name, and uses that to create the BBCODE you see in the window when you make it.

When you approve the results, the script translates your work into the appropriate web page code, inserting the affiliation code in the process.

There's a lot of other functionality in both the web page and the javascript to handle social network links, website links, reader progress, custom text, and other options. Also, there is the preview web page with three format options and its underlying script code.

This is not a simple undertaking and the guts of it truly belong to KBoards. That means a wholesale rewrite of the look-and-feel as well as the script.

I retired from doing this stuff because I want to write fiction. So, I'm only describing the scope of what this entails, with the caveat that Sanctum can't just copy the code without risking IP infringement.

A simpler approach would require you to provide your own links to book cover images located elsewhere on the web. Your private webpage or one of the image repositories offered for free. This method would avoid the Amazon scraping script and simply build the signature code from the URL you provide.

If I were to tackle the replication effort, I'd allocate it to a team of two: one person to redesign the user interface, the other to develop and test the underlying javascript. The two would have to work together in test.

And all done gratis, because Timothy has already invested enough in this thing.

Okay, so I took a look at the bbcode that the KBoards sig tool produces. I have no idea about how you write modules for Simple Machines, but writing php to create a simple version of the tool doesn't look that hard. The only issue is: to get the images, I think the KBoards sig tool is using the Amazon Advertising API to get the image links. Since I don't have an Associate Tag and an Access Key, I can't do a simple test to verify that.

But I have some time this weekend, so I may play around with stuff and see just how "not hard" it really is. (No promises.)

Notes: I said a simple version, not what hardnox talks about.

In the first instance, simple is probably best. Perhaps we just need an upload facility for a book cover, which is then resized as a thumbnail, and the url of the book. This would allow people to link to wide book pages instead of Amazon.

Upload or enter image location, the latter allowing for using book page images.

Doesn't have to be more complicated than that.

Other issue is how to add it to the menu here.

Tulonsae

• Novella unlocked
« Reply #85 on: September 23, 2018, 03:15:00 PM »
That's an interesting idea. The upload one.

Let me finish getting a basic generator done. Then we can figure out the rest.

Also, my php code is crap. And I'm not bothering with css at the moment. But if I can get something working, then maybe hardnox can make it production quality.

P. S. - I don't have any published books (yet) so if you see your books showing up in my sig - that just means I've gotten further along in my code/test cycle.

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
« Reply #86 on: September 23, 2018, 03:23:46 PM »
That's an interesting idea. The upload one.

The ability to upload was one of the first things asked for here.

Tulonsae

• Novella unlocked
« Reply #87 on: September 23, 2018, 06:26:59 PM »
Okay, made some progress. I have a form that you can put in the ASIN numbers and the image urls - and it produces bbcode. But it doesn't resize the images the way we want. And I think it might be easier to just figure out how to upload them and get them at the correct size. Maybe...

I also thought we'd add the Genres line to the form. (People can leave it blank.) And I need to add the ability for the links into the form.

So, I think that next I'll look into the upload and see what I can figure out. But first, time for bed.

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
« Reply #88 on: September 23, 2018, 06:29:48 PM »
 :Tup3a:

guest14

« Reply #89 on: September 23, 2018, 06:41:56 PM »
I've decided that I'm not going to have an Amazon exclusive signature so I'm working on something different to give people the opportunity of buying from all of my platforms. D2D (Books2Read) has a really good setup and I intend to use them, plus my website to route interest through. If you use B2R then you have the ability to put affiliate codes in for each of the platforms represented (where they have affiliates). So, if Timothy happens to have affiliate accounts at all those places he can still benefit from your patronage. If we're not going to be 'kindle-oriented, this makes sense to me.

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
« Reply #90 on: September 23, 2018, 06:49:39 PM »
I've decided that I'm not going to have an Amazon exclusive signature so I'm working on something different to give people the opportunity of buying from all of my platforms. D2D (Books2Read) has a really good setup and I intend to use them, plus my website to route interest through. If you use B2R then you have the ability to put affiliate codes in for each of the platforms represented (where they have affiliates). So, if Timothy happens to have affiliate accounts at all those places he can still benefit from your patronage. If we're not going to be 'kindle-oriented, this makes sense to me.

No, I dont. As yet. If enough people want it, I can do that.

The only problem with using D2D's page, is some promoters have found the extra click required to get to a product page, lowers the response rate on the ad. Not sure if that follows here though, but thought I'd mention it.

D2D's find it everywhere page is great btw.

guest14

« Reply #91 on: September 23, 2018, 07:05:32 PM »
The only problem with using D2D's page, is some promoters have found the extra click required to get to a product page, lowers the response rate on the ad. Not sure if that follows here though, but thought I'd mention it.

D2D's find it everywhere page is great btw.

The good thing about this is it only happens the first time, after that their cookie monster knows which platform you use and slips you right through a transparent doorway. You can change that setting by just visiting B2R and changing your preference (they advise you of that the first time you visit).

I'm just wondering whether I can do this directly because B2R also provide a hit counter with top three platforms for each book. It would mean one less routing. I will play later.

guest14

« Reply #92 on: September 23, 2018, 08:42:48 PM »
Signature updated to reflect my platform-wide books. Click a book link to see it working, choose a platform then click another book link and it should take you directly to your preferred platform. Let me know if it doesn't.

Authoress

« Reply #93 on: September 23, 2018, 09:07:06 PM »
Thanks for all these directions! I'm going to try this - starting out with one book - to see if I can make it work. I hope I don't end up with a massive image ....

Edit:  I did it! I doubt there's anyone here as bad at this sort of thing as I am, but just in case:

1. I went to my Forum Profile on KBoards.
2. I copied the code in the Signature box at the bottom.
3. I pasted it into a Word doc.

I copy pasted the whole thing into the signature box here.

I did similar to that but I'd already copied my code from over there (into an email draft that I saved) before deleting everything, then before I entered it here, I saw how to change the VS affiliate code for Timothy's code so was able to do that from the get-go :)
If anyone does click on my covers I'd far rather the money go here & not there :)
« Last Edit: September 23, 2018, 09:13:41 PM by Authoress »

Authoress

« Reply #94 on: September 23, 2018, 09:20:45 PM »
Just seen that people are adding Genres, just looked at forum profle & can't see anywhere to add that, any help appreciated :)

Also, my links are beside my covers (which I quite like) instead of under, if that's not cool, could somebody please tell me what I did wrong there?
If it is ok to have it like that, I'd prefer to leave it as is :) thanks.

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
« Reply #95 on: September 23, 2018, 09:45:59 PM »
Just seen that people are adding Genres, just looked at forum profle & can't see anywhere to add that, any help appreciated :)

Also, my links are beside my covers (which I quite like) instead of under, if that's not cool, could somebody please tell me what I did wrong there?

Genres is just text added to the sig.

Yours is just wrapping around, which is fine if your not a control freak.  :icon_mrgreen:

The following users thanked this post: Authoress

Authoress

« Reply #96 on: September 23, 2018, 09:48:33 PM »

Genres is just text added to the sig.

Yours is just wrapping around, which is fine if your not a control freak.  :icon_mrgreen:

As a Virgo, I'm supposed to be a control freak but I only missed Leo by an hour or two, so maybe that's why I'm not :)
Thanks  :banana:

Just tried Genres at least 3 times, every time it came out different but none were correct, I wish I wasn't so thick :)
« Last Edit: September 23, 2018, 10:04:30 PM by Authoress »

Tulonsae

• Novella unlocked
« Reply #97 on: September 24, 2018, 09:32:23 AM »
So... Apparently the mods for SMF for uploading attachments for your signature all upload to external image sites - like imgur.

There might be a different way to do it. I will experiment.

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
« Reply #98 on: September 24, 2018, 01:04:46 PM »
So... Apparently the mods for SMF for uploading attachments for your signature all upload to external image sites - like imgur.

Err.... :icon_think:

Better as a generator run off a menu button. Too complicated any other way.

Tulonsae

• Novella unlocked
« Reply #99 on: September 24, 2018, 06:28:45 PM »

Err.... :icon_think:

Better as a generator run off a menu button. Too complicated any other way.

Yep. I agree. I was hoping to find a mod that was close - then I could just modify it.

The SMF documentation leaves a bit to be desired. Or, I just haven't found the right place.

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
« Reply #100 on: September 24, 2018, 06:38:03 PM »
The SMF documentation leaves a bit to be desired. Or, I just haven't found the right place.

Probably both.

Virginia McClain

« Reply #101 on: September 25, 2018, 07:22:58 AM »
Hey, Timothy, thanks so much for setting this whole place up!

So... I deleted the KB affiliate links from my signature, however, someone mentioned that if the affiliate tags aren't replaced then KB will still get the affiliate $ which makes me less than pleased. I would much rather that $ go to you. Would you be able to share a version of your affiliate link that we can tag into that code? I would much rather say thanks to you with a bit $ every time someone clicks on my books here than have that money go to VS or anyone else really.

Virginia McClain | Blog | Cover Designs

Tulonsae

• Novella unlocked
« Reply #102 on: September 25, 2018, 07:26:22 AM »

So... I deleted the KB affiliate links from my signature, however, someone mentioned that if the affiliate tags aren't replaced then KB will still get the affiliate $ which makes me less than pleased. I would much rather that $ go to you. Would you be able to share a version of your affiliate link that we can tag into that code? I would much rather say thanks to you with a bit $ every time someone clicks on my books here than have that money go to VS or anyone else really.

Timothy's affiliate code is cirofatl-20
It's in some other thread that I can't find now, but I had saved it off for when I actually have books in my signature.

The following users thanked this post: Jeff Tanyard, Virginia McClain

Virginia McClain

« Reply #103 on: September 25, 2018, 07:29:14 AM »

Timothy's affiliate code is cirofatl-20
It's in some other thread that I can't find now, but I had saved it off for when I actually have books in my signature.

Thank you!!!
 :banana-riding-llama-smiley-em :banana-riding-llama-smiley-em :banana-riding-llama-smiley-em

Virginia McClain | Blog | Cover Designs

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #104 on: September 25, 2018, 05:48:56 PM »
I had saved it off for when I actually have books in my signature.

It's really cool and thoughtful of you to do that.   :azn:
v  v  v  v  v    Short Stories    v  v  v  v  v    vv FREE! vv

Genres: Science Fiction, Fantasy (some day) | Author Website

Lysmata Debelius

« Reply #105 on: September 25, 2018, 07:12:51 PM »
OK just checking - if I wanted to add Tim's affiliate link to my book links, how would the URL look?

http://amazon.com/ASIN/?tag=cirofatl-20

Is that correct?

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
« Reply #106 on: September 25, 2018, 07:17:27 PM »
OK just checking - if I wanted to add Tim's affiliate link to my book links, how would the URL look?

http://amazon.com/ASIN/?tag=cirofatl-20

Is that correct?

http://amazon.com/dp/ASIN/?tag=cirofatl-20

Lysmata Debelius

« Reply #107 on: September 25, 2018, 07:21:55 PM »

Gerri Attrick

« Reply #108 on: September 25, 2018, 08:15:11 PM »
Okay, old Mrs Techno-numpty trying this with just one cover. If it works I’ll try to add more.

ETA Hmm it seems to have missed off half the code.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 08:17:18 PM by Gerri Attrick »

Lysmata Debelius

« Reply #109 on: September 25, 2018, 08:20:46 PM »
Okay, old Mrs Techno-numpty trying this with just one cover. If it works I’ll try to add more.

You have some bits missing there. 

Should look something like this:

[url=insert amazon link here][img height=125][https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51aF8VZqJCL._SL110_jpg[/img] [/url]

Gerri Attrick

« Reply #110 on: September 25, 2018, 08:24:37 PM »

You have some bits missing there. 

Should look something like this:

[url=insert amazon link here][img height=125][https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51aF8VZqJCL._SL110_jpg[/img] [/url]

Thanks, Masha, but this is what is in the box on the Profile page:
[url=http://amazon.com/dp/B0084MZWPO/?tag=cirofatl-20][https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51aF8VZqJCL._SL110_jpg[/img][/url]I don’t understand why it is showing only part of it.

ETA Dammit - and when I copy and paste it’s still only showing half of it in the message.

Added Code tags. t.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 09:10:08 PM by TimothyEllis »

Lysmata Debelius

« Reply #111 on: September 25, 2018, 09:08:25 PM »
The reason it's only showing some of it in the forum message here is because the forum software is actually hiding some of it :)  If you want all of it to show, you need to put a
[code]    before it and a [/code]after it.

Let me see if I can fix it for you...

Lysmata Debelius

« Reply #112 on: September 25, 2018, 09:11:08 PM »

Copy and paste the below. I think it will work. Let's hope!

[url=http://amazon.com/dp/B0084MZWPO/?tag=cirofatl-20][img height=125][https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51aF8VZqJCL._SL110_jpg[/img] [/url]

Gerri Attrick

« Reply #113 on: September 25, 2018, 09:23:26 PM »
Thanks, Masha. Let’s see.

Nope.

Hmm. Apart from having two different heights in there, now, I can’t see what else I’m doing wrong. Maybe the signature wossname is busted for now.

Lysmata Debelius

« Reply #114 on: September 25, 2018, 09:48:44 PM »
Whoops!
You're right about the different heights :)  And there was also a missing "." before the "jpg" at the end of the image link. That might be the problem. It should look like this:

[url=http://amazon.com/dp/B0084MZWPO/?tag=cirofatl-20][img height=110][https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51aF8VZqJCL._SL110_.jpg[/img] [/url]

Gerri Attrick

« Reply #115 on: September 25, 2018, 11:48:55 PM »
Thanks, Masha.

I’ve copied and pasted that into the sig box and my profile has “updated successfully”, but I’m still getting nothing.

This is way beyond what my aged brain (and my comfort zone)can handle, so I’m going to leave it for now.

Thanks for your efforts - much appreciated.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 11:58:55 PM by Gerri Attrick »

Lysmata Debelius

« Reply #116 on: September 25, 2018, 11:54:59 PM »
Oh dear! Sorry that didn't work out. Maybe somebody else can figure out what is wrong.

Jessica

« Reply #117 on: September 26, 2018, 01:15:57 AM »
@Gerri

[url="http://amazon.com/dp/B0084MZWPO/?tag=cirofatl-20"][img height=110]https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51aF8VZqJCL._SL110_.jpg[/img][/url]
Hi.
Would you try this code, does it work?

(I added some "" and removed a [.)
« Last Edit: September 26, 2018, 01:44:45 AM by JessicaJoan »
Avatar Photo by Allef Vinicius on Unsplash

Tonyonline

« Reply #118 on: September 27, 2018, 03:58:53 AM »
The code below will make one book appear in your signature. (Taken from my post on other page.)
Red is where you put your ASIN and IMG link.
You also have to change these ( ) to these [ ].

(table)(tr)(td)(url=https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07H5QYKXJ/?tag=cirofatl-20)(img height=125]https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/41qHDOAEutL._SL125_.jpg(/img)(/url)(/td)(/tr)(/table)

Here is the code to make all three of my books appear...note where I ended with the /tr and /table. Each colour is a different book.

Hope that helps.

The following users thanked this post: jonjaka

guest14

« Reply #119 on: September 27, 2018, 04:13:21 AM »
This works as you can see from the result - it will do exactly the same when ypu put it in your signature

This doesn't and I'm not sure you need to put tables in because it only needs a space between each url address to pad them out in a line. If you put carriage returns in it will drop them one below the other. Which might be why you chose a table to put them in.

Gerri Attrick

« Reply #120 on: September 27, 2018, 04:38:00 AM »
Thank you, thank you, thank you all.  :kiss:

Yes, Tobias, I was hoping not to do the table thing, but if it’s necessary…

Nearly bedtime here, so I’ll have another try tomorrow.

Thank you again - you wonderful people.  :grouphug:

Tonyonline

« Reply #121 on: September 27, 2018, 04:49:37 AM »
This doesn't and I'm not sure you need to put tables in because it only needs a space between each url address to pad them out in a line. If you put carriage returns in it will drop them one below the other. Which might be why you chose a table to put them in.

I tried the way many others found worked for them but it didn't work for me (see previous posts), so in the end the way to make it work, thanks to those who gave me the code, was what I've posted.
I thought it worth posting as it might help others with the problem I had. 
I notice the book you posted was smaller than the others in your sig, I assume that is the 110 height used?
« Last Edit: September 27, 2018, 04:54:54 AM by Tonyonline »

guest14

« Reply #122 on: September 27, 2018, 04:54:42 AM »
I don't know how we can all be on the same forum and code works for some and others not? A conundrum. I have a separate post for Signatures for those who are wide, the code on there is simple - and works. I'm wondering if the issue is nothing to do with the forum, but browser or Os-based in terms of copy/paste feature. Gerri seems to know what to copy, but the pate function appears to not take everything.

I just wish there was a way I could step in and take a look, but these systems don't allow for that. Ho Hum!

Tonyonline

« Reply #123 on: September 27, 2018, 04:57:08 AM »
I'm on a Mac, coz I iz PoSh and using Safari.

guest14

« Reply #124 on: September 27, 2018, 05:02:09 AM »
Gerri
I just wanted to check your page looks like this?

The box with the details in is filled with my details, but you can see how it should look when you put yours in.

[click on the image to bring it to full size]

jonjaka

• Tag Line unlocked
« Reply #125 on: September 27, 2018, 11:10:08 AM »
Just testing my signature using what Tonyonline suggested.

And it worked! Thanks!
Genres: Horror, Fantasy, Science Fiction

Gerri Attrick

« Reply #126 on: September 27, 2018, 03:52:19 PM »
Tobias - Yes, that’s the page and box I’m getting.

I’ve just tried Tony’s method. Let’s see if I’ve done it right.

Lysmata Debelius

« Reply #127 on: September 27, 2018, 04:31:44 PM »
Gerry, you need to put a space between img and height. So it should look like this:
[img height=125]

Not sure if that will fix it, but it's definitely one problem.

Gerri Attrick

« Reply #128 on: September 27, 2018, 04:38:32 PM »
Gerry, you need to put a space between img and height. So it should look like this:
[img height=125]

Not sure if that will fix it, but it’s definitely one problem.

Ah ha! I did wonder, but all the examples show the img and height on different lines, so it was hard to judge.
Now lets see.

Gerri Attrick

« Reply #129 on: September 27, 2018, 04:40:17 PM »
Arrgghh!  :HB  :HB  :HB

Oh, well. We’re getting there.

Lysmata Debelius

« Reply #130 on: September 27, 2018, 05:08:39 PM »
You're nearly there, Gerri! This is progress.

Lysmata Debelius

« Reply #131 on: September 27, 2018, 05:09:19 PM »
Wait! It looks like you've done it!  :banana:

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
« Reply #132 on: September 27, 2018, 05:33:52 PM »
Magic happens  :smilie_zauber:

Gerri Attrick

« Reply #133 on: September 27, 2018, 06:14:37 PM »
Wait! It looks like you’ve done it!  :banana:

Yabba dabba doo! :dance:

It must be magic, as Timothy said. Last time I looked I could only see code. I decided to leave it… and voila!  :smilie_zauber:

Thanks for all the help, guys and gals. Now I can get on with writing.

Rickie Blair

« Reply #134 on: September 28, 2018, 01:22:47 AM »

You're not the only one.  :icon_think:  That's OK, I'll deal with this sometime in the future when I have time to sort it out. Mostly, code makes my eyes glaze over.  :icon_eek:

Shannonwritesbooks

• Tag Line unlocked
    • Locker 17.com
« Reply #135 on: September 28, 2018, 06:57:10 AM »
I just tried to do the table I saw posted here. Unless I am seeing the wrong thing it didn't work. What did I do wrong?

jonjaka

• Tag Line unlocked
« Reply #136 on: September 28, 2018, 09:40:31 AM »
I'm no expert at this, but you have to change these ( ) to these [ ].
Genres: Horror, Fantasy, Science Fiction

Rickie Blair

« Reply #137 on: October 02, 2018, 12:01:14 AM »
I just tried to do the table I saw posted here. Unless I am seeing the wrong thing it didn't work. What did I do wrong?
I've tried repeatedly and it's not working for me, either. I copied the exact code from one of the many versions (there are 3 pages to this thread now, it's a little hard to know which one is the correct one) cited above, but no luck. A tutorial for us idiots might help?

Lysmata Debelius

« Reply #138 on: October 02, 2018, 02:07:26 AM »
Rickie, I'm not sure why some people are struggling. It might be that the difference in browsers or operating systems makes a difference (although I doubt that)

The following should work.  There are two stages to this. Getting the info you'll need to make the link to your book and its cover, and inserting this into your signature.  I find it easier to do all of the following in Notepad, and then copy it across to the signature block, rather than trying to edit it in the signature block.

To get the book's URL

Open the Amazon page of the book you're linking to. Copy the URL of the book's page. Make sure you only copy the info up to the ASIN. So for example, if your book was Divergent, you'd copy only the black part of this URL and leave out the blue part: https://www.amazon.com/Divergent-Book-Trilogy-ebook/dp/B004WC07UK/ref=sr_1_1_twi_kin_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1538408879&sr=1-1&keywords=divergent 

To get the picture link

Right click on the book's image on Amazon and choose "copy image address". Depending on your browser, that might be phrased slightly differently.

Create the signature

Go to Profile > Forum Profile. 
On that page, find the "Signature" field. This is where you'll be pasting the code.
Copy the following code:

[url= ][img height=125]  [/img] [/url]

Then paste the book url after that first "=" where the x's are below:

[url= xxxxxxx ][img height=125]  [/img] [/url]

Then paste the image address after the image height tag where the x's are below:

[url=https://www.amazon.com/yourbook/dp/ASIN/ ][img height=125] xxxxxxxxxx [/img] [/url]

Make sure that every opening square bracket has a closing square bracket. Make sure that you don't change the way the brackets are nested. I hope that works.

To do more than one book, just rinse and repeat, add the next one after the first. Don't put carriage returns between the lines of code or they'll appear below one another in your signature. You can space them out by adding spaces between the last "url" tag of a book, and the first "url" tag of the next book. Like this:

[url=book1link ][img height=125] image1link [/img] [/url]space[url=book2link][img height=125] image2link [/img] [/url]   

« Last Edit: October 03, 2018, 01:02:52 AM by Lysmata Debelius »

The following users thanked this post: TimothyEllis, Rickie Blair, djmills

guest14

« Reply #139 on: October 02, 2018, 05:40:58 AM »
As an added point about using notepad. It WILL put carriage returns in if you have word wrap on (which is okay to work with). Put all your code in, then TURN OFF word wrap and take out all of the hard returns that remain. You should end up with a continuous line of code. Copy ALL of that and dump it into your signature and you should get a clean result.

Rickie Blair

« Reply #140 on: October 03, 2018, 12:17:59 AM »
Rickie, I'm not sure why some people are struggling. It might be that the difference in browsers or operating systems makes a difference (although I doubt that)

The following should work.  There are two stages to this. Getting the info you'll need to make the link to your book and its cover, and inserting this into your signature.  I find it easier to do all of the following in Notepad, and then copy it across to the signature block, rather than trying to edit it in the signature block.

To get the book's URL

Open the Amazon page of the book you're linking to. Copy the URL of the book's page. Make sure you only copy the info up to the ASIN. So for example, if your book was Divergent, you'd copy only the black part of this URL and leave out the blue part: https://www.amazon.com/Divergent-Book-Trilogy-ebook/dp/B004WC07UK/ref=sr_1_1_twi_kin_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1538408879&sr=1-1&keywords=divergent 

To get the picture link

Right click on the book's image on Amazon and choose "copy image address". Depending on your browser, that might be phrased slightly differently.

Create the signature

Go to Profile > Forum Profile. 
On that page, find the "Signature" field. This is where you'll be pasting the code.
Copy the following code:

Then paste the book url after that first "=" where the x's are below:

[url= xxxxxxx ][img height=125]  [/img] [/url]

Then paste the image address after the image height tag where the x's are below:

[url=https://www.amazon.com/yourbook/dp/ASIN/ ][img height=125] xxxxxxxxxx [/img] [/url]

Make sure that every opening square bracket has a closing square bracket. Make sure that you don't change the way the brackets are nested. I hope that works.

To do more than one book, just rinse and repeat, add the next one after the first. Don't put carriage returns between the lines of code or they'll appear below one another in your signature. You can space them out by adding spaces between the last "url" tag of a book, and the first "url" tag of the next book.

Thank you so much! I finally did it. :dance:
These instructions worked perfectly.

The following users thanked this post: Lysmata Debelius

Bill Hiatt

• Trilogy unlocked
« Reply #141 on: October 03, 2018, 12:29:13 AM »
Those instructions should be set up in the guide section. This isn't going to be the only time someone needs them. :help

The following users thanked this post: Lysmata Debelius, Rickie Blair

Lysmata Debelius

« Reply #142 on: October 03, 2018, 12:58:43 AM »
Thank you so much! I finally did it. :dance:
These instructions worked perfectly.

Yay!  :banana:
I'm so pleased that helped, Rickie. I was wondering whether it would work for you. Thanks for letting me know. :)

Telemanagain

• Tag Line unlocked
« Reply #143 on: October 03, 2018, 01:50:43 AM »

Not at the moment.

We really need a php programmer author on hand who can make a few of these things for us.
Hmmm a php programmer you say?

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
« Reply #144 on: October 03, 2018, 01:56:49 AM »
Hmmm a php programmer you say?

We have several so far willing to spend some time, but no-one up to speed on SMF coding. The signature tools are going to be a lot of work, and I'm not sure at this point if they will happen any time soon. Depends who volunteers, or if their price is right.

Elven Steele

• Blurb unlocked
  • Publishing virgin. Be gentle...
    • Twitter -
« Reply #145 on: October 17, 2018, 11:42:26 PM »
Testing my sig. Fingers crossed

Elven Steele

• Blurb unlocked
    • Twitter -
« Reply #146 on: October 17, 2018, 11:43:59 PM »
Hmmm. More work required methinks. The problem I'm having is that when I right click the cover on amazon, there is no option to find the pic's address. Not sure why, I've seen it on older versions of Windows

Lysmata Debelius

« Reply #147 on: October 17, 2018, 11:49:42 PM »
Hmmm. More work required methinks. The problem I'm having is that when I right click the cover on amazon, there is no option to find the pic's address. Not sure why, I've seen it on older versions of Windows
What browser do you use?

Elven Steele

• Blurb unlocked
    • Twitter -
« Reply #148 on: October 17, 2018, 11:51:06 PM »
Microsoft Edge in Windows 10. I've just started looking for an alternative browser in the hope that helps

Elven Steele

• Blurb unlocked
    • Twitter -
« Reply #149 on: October 17, 2018, 11:53:29 PM »
I think I got the image address from Crome. Second time lucky

Elven Steele

• Blurb unlocked
    • Twitter -
« Reply #150 on: October 17, 2018, 11:54:07 PM »
Bloody hell, that's a bit bigger than I'd hoped :icon_eek:

Lysmata Debelius

« Reply #151 on: October 17, 2018, 11:56:55 PM »
Looks like you got it working! Now you just need to fix the size. Put
[img height=125] after the
url tag like this:

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
« Reply #152 on: October 18, 2018, 12:00:14 AM »
Fixed.  Grin

Right click and save image location. Insert into signature, but change 375 to 150.

Elven Steele

• Blurb unlocked
    • Twitter -
« Reply #153 on: October 18, 2018, 12:01:12 AM »
url tag like this:

Just tried that, here goes...

Lysmata Debelius

« Reply #154 on: October 18, 2018, 12:01:35 AM »
I had a look at Microsoft Edge. On some pictures, you can get the address by choosing "copy link". But on an Amazon Book, there's no such option. I can't figure out if it's even possible, in that browser.

Lysmata Debelius

« Reply #155 on: October 18, 2018, 12:02:23 AM »
Getting there :)  You probably put a hard return between the bits of code, by pressing enter. See if you can delete it, and the images should move next to one another instead of under one another.

Elven Steele

• Blurb unlocked
    • Twitter -
« Reply #156 on: October 18, 2018, 12:03:28 AM »
Right, here's hoping I got it right this time

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
« Reply #157 on: October 18, 2018, 12:04:17 AM »
url tag like this:

Just tried that, here goes...

You dont need any of that, and you just changed it back after I fixed it!

Elven Steele

• Blurb unlocked
    • Twitter -
« Reply #158 on: October 18, 2018, 12:04:45 AM »
Sorry about this everyone, I cant find any other way to check it than trying a post  :icon_redface:

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
« Reply #159 on: October 18, 2018, 12:06:08 AM »
Put your original code back in, and let me fix it.

Elven Steele

• Blurb unlocked
    • Twitter -
« Reply #160 on: October 18, 2018, 12:06:22 AM »
Sorry about this everyone, I cant find any other way to check it than trying a post  :icon_redface:

Sorry, I didn't realise you were fixing it while I was trying to as well. If I leave it alone can you fix it for me again please?

Elven Steele

• Blurb unlocked
    • Twitter -
« Reply #161 on: October 18, 2018, 12:09:28 AM »
Put your original code back in, and let me fix it.

That would be much appreciated, thank-you

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
« Reply #162 on: October 18, 2018, 12:11:11 AM »
There you go.

The correct code was on the .com site.

Elven Steele

• Blurb unlocked
    • Twitter -
« Reply #163 on: October 18, 2018, 12:13:12 AM »
Many thanks to both of you. I probably would have been at it all day trying to figure that out  :icon_redface:

lea_owens

« Reply #164 on: April 04, 2019, 05:03:10 PM »
I've read three threads on creating signatures, and still no closer - the signature mill just tells me I'm making requests too quickly (I entered my name + search), the Kboards info doesn't paste over, and I followed two sets of clear steps laid out in one of the threads - do this, this, then that, then this, then this, this, that, that, this, then this, and that should be right, and nothing. I'll just assume that no one would want to click on my books - they rarely get under 20,000 in Amazon rankings, anyway, so nothing earth shattering.

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
« Reply #165 on: April 04, 2019, 05:22:57 PM »
I've read three threads on creating signatures, and still no closer - the signature mill just tells me I'm making requests too quickly (I entered my name + search), the Kboards info doesn't paste over, and I followed two sets of clear steps laid out in one of the threads - do this, this, then that, then this, then this, this, that, that, this, then this, and that should be right, and nothing. I'll just assume that no one would want to click on my books - they rarely get under 20,000 in Amazon rankings, anyway, so nothing earth shattering.

PM me your KB signature. I'll change it and put it in.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #166 on: April 04, 2019, 11:50:38 PM »
I should have been reading this thread all along. I didn't know we could use our KB sig. I actually set up my sig here using the very first method you had.

Pemry Janes

« Reply #167 on: January 01, 2020, 09:01:29 PM »
This thread was a help. Though it didn't help that somehow I managed to paste the image link into my signature twice. And that happened twice.
Genre: Fantasy

Vijaya

« Reply #168 on: May 16, 2020, 06:49:26 AM »
I need help putting my two book covers side by side. Also, I have a third book which is not on Amazon but it's on D2D. Here's the link: https://draft2digital.com/book/558795  but when I click on the picture to get the url for it, it just tells me that it's my jpg file.

Thank you.

Author of over 100 books and magazine pieces, primarily for children
Vijaya Bodach | Personal Blog | Bodach Books

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
« Reply #169 on: May 16, 2020, 02:40:22 PM »
There was an embedded line feed character hidden in there. Found it by copying the code to word.

The D2D url for the cover does not include a .jpg, and didn't like the size code. Fortunately, it is the same size.

Vijaya

« Reply #170 on: May 17, 2020, 02:01:03 AM »
Thank you so much, Timothy.

Author of over 100 books and magazine pieces, primarily for children
Vijaya Bodach | Personal Blog | Bodach Books

RockWhitehouse

« Reply #171 on: October 09, 2020, 06:09:31 AM »
Just the new guy checking out his signature...Sorry folks, nothing to see here...move along please...these aren't the drones you're looking for.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."
-Thomas Edison

idontknowyet

« Reply #172 on: October 09, 2020, 06:26:29 AM »
Just the new guy checking out his signature...Sorry folks, nothing to see here...move along please...these aren't the drones you're looking for.

welcome!!!!

Maggie Ann

« Reply #173 on: October 09, 2020, 07:13:00 AM »

I don't know why, but I have a sudden urge to watch a movie.

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #174 on: October 09, 2020, 11:21:30 AM »

Welcome to the site, Rock.   :cheers

M R M

« Reply #175 on: October 09, 2020, 06:06:42 PM »

Welcome! From just the old guy who hardly talks to anybody, because the drones are easier to deal with... But this place has good folks so that doesn't count.

RockWhitehouse

« Reply #176 on: October 09, 2020, 09:26:03 PM »
Thanks, everyone. 

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."
-Thomas Edison

Simon Haynes

« Reply #177 on: October 09, 2020, 09:54:31 PM »
Yep, welcome aboard. Good to see another SF author ;-)

RockWhitehouse

« Reply #178 on: October 09, 2020, 10:42:09 PM »

Especially one who is a GIANT FAN of yWriter, right?

Thanks for the welcome. I appreciate it.
-Thomas Edison

Simon Haynes

« Reply #179 on: October 09, 2020, 11:54:42 PM »

Especially one who is a GIANT FAN of yWriter, right?

Thanks for the welcome. I appreciate it.

Hey, glad you like it! I hope you've grabbed one of the most recent versions, because prior to going bonkers on my current novel I spent two months straight on yWriter, improving it and fixing bugs.

maddie sutton

« Reply #180 on: November 30, 2020, 12:39:23 AM »
ugh, new member here, just trying to figure things out.

Thank goodness for this thread. I can be such a bbcode n00b.
genre: cozy mysteries | cozy witch mysteries coming soon

on amazon

LilyBLily

« Reply #181 on: November 30, 2020, 02:44:08 AM »

Welcome. Stick around. This is a calm space.

The following users thanked this post: maddie sutton

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #182 on: November 30, 2020, 05:26:32 AM »

Welcome to the site!   :cheers

The site owner, Timothy Ellis, is a helpful and generous guy.  If you can't figure something out about your sig or profile or whatever, then just send him a PM, and I'm sure he'll help get things sorted out for you.

The following users thanked this post: maddie sutton

DonDeBon

« Reply #183 on: February 12, 2021, 11:46:19 AM »
Well I got my signature updated, however, I do not understand the lack of space between the last two.

Don DeBon | Website | Twitter |

Al Stevens

• Medium Novel unlocked
  • Coffee-drinking, insomniac binge writer
    • Al Stevens, Author, Musician
« Reply #184 on: February 13, 2021, 01:16:59 AM »
In your signature, put one space character between the ending and starting url tags:
[/url] [url]
Do this even if they are on separate lines.

DonDeBon

« Reply #185 on: February 13, 2021, 04:02:47 PM »
Thanks!  Knew it had to be something simple but the odd thing is I don't see such a space in the earlier part of the signature (which was created on a different forum using their tool) or I would have been sure to have them.

Don DeBon | Website | Twitter |

The Doctor

« Reply #186 on: July 24, 2021, 08:20:56 PM »
Hey guys,

I'm back after a few years(?) of things changing in my personal life, and that's not even including this bloody pandemic.

I'm trying to add a book cover to my signature/profile. I don't have a Kboards account anymore. I tried adding the cover following some of the advice on this thread but the cover ended up in duplicate and way too big.

Has anyone got any bang-up-to-date instructions on adding covers?

Genre: Weird Fiction | Science Fiction | Fantasy | Horror |
Gayle Ramage Website

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
« Reply #187 on: July 24, 2021, 08:38:29 PM »
https://writersanctum.com/index.php?topic=589.0

Do one and then PM me, and I'll check it for you.

The following users thanked this post: The Doctor

The Doctor

« Reply #188 on: July 24, 2021, 09:25:33 PM »
It's looking good.

Genre: Weird Fiction | Science Fiction | Fantasy | Horror |
Gayle Ramage Website