Author Topic: Fantasy author Sherrilyn Kenyon drops 'Shakespearean plot' case against husband  (Read 2957 times)

Vidya

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2019/jul/31/sherrilyn-kenyon-drops-shakespearean-plot-case-against-husband

Fantasy author of the Dark-Hunter novels had brought the $20m claim against her husband and two members of staff in January

Alison Flood

Wed 31 Jul 2019 16.51 BST

Bestselling fantasy author Sherrilyn Kenyon has dropped the case against her husband in which she had accused him of poisoning her and pursuing a “Shakespearean plot against her” and her career.

Kenyon, author of the Dark-Hunter urban fantasy series, sued her husband, Lawrence R Kenyon II, and two members of staff for up to $20m (£16.4m) in January. The suit, which was filed in Tennessee, alleged that Kenyon II and one of their assistants “would force her to eat and became enraged any time she failed to consume”, producing symptoms including stomach cramps, tachycardia and hair loss. The author alleged that she had been experiencing symptoms since 2015.

“It was unclear to [Sherrilyn Kenyon] why her husband … would orchestrate this Shakespearean plot against her when he was lavished with expensive cars and other personal services that could only be obtained through [her] career success,” the lawsuit opened. “[She] now believes that it was more than the profuse insecurity and insidious jealousy of her success, but Lawrence Kenyon stood to gain millions of dollars upon her demise through life insurance and the value of her estate, including her copyrights and trademarks.”

But in a statement on Tuesday, Kenyon II’s lawyer Sean Aiello said that the author had informed the court that she wanted to drop the case. “Facing a motion filed by Mr Kenyon requesting involuntary dismissal and sanctions for filing unsubstantiated claims of far-reaching conspiracies, intentional destruction of Mrs Kenyon’s career, millions of dollars in damages, and attempted murder by poisoning, Mrs Kenyon opted to dismiss all allegations rather than face presenting her case and her outlandish allegations to scrutiny by a jury of her peers.”

No charges had been issued against Kenyon II, who, in a statement through Aiello, thanked “those in his wife’s life who assisted her in reaching the just decision to retract her false allegations. He further hopes that these same individuals will continue to support Mrs Kenyon in getting the assistance she needs and in getting back to what she does best – writing fiction.”

Kenyon responded that the “financial impact this case has had on my family” was her motivation to dismiss the allegations.

“Tabling this lawsuit at the present time allows me to focus my energy and financial resources on my divorce litigation. However, I maintain a strong and steadfast belief in the merits of this case,” she said. “As the great Margaret Thatcher once said: ‘You may have to fight a battle more than once to win it.’ I am confident in the facts and evidence of my case and look forward to revisiting this lawsuit at a future time.”

dgcasey

• Long Novel unlocked
  • Take my memories. I hope you got a big appetite.
Oh what a tangled web we weave. 
I will not forget one line of this, not one day. I will always remember when the Doctor was me.
"The Tales of Garlan" title="The Tales of Garlan"
"Into The Wishing Well" title="Into The Wishing Well"
Dave's Amazon Author page | DGlennCasey.com | TheDailyPainter.com
I'm the Doctor by the way, what's your name? Rose. Nice to meet you, Rose. Run for your life!

Jeff Tanyard

Shakespearean plot

I would have described it as "Southern Gothic," but I guess "Shakespearean" works, too.

Reminds me of the Anjette Lyles case.
v  v  v  v  v    Short Stories    v  v  v  v  v    vv FREE! vv

Genres: Science Fiction, Fantasy (some day) | Author Website

The following users thanked this post: Ghost5

Marti Talbott

Wow, that's frightening.
Read The Swindler, a historical romance available at:
Amazon, Apple, Google Play, Kobo & Nook
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08QG5K23

Maggie Ann

If he's been poisoning her since 2015, why isn't she dead, yet?

Vidya

Good question. It became big news when she accused Cassandra Clare of stealing her ideas but I didn't learn until now that she dropped those particular charges:

https://cassandraclare.tumblr.com/post/169512494064/i-heard-a-rumor-that-sherrilyn-kenyon-is-no-longer

Marti Talbott

Good question. It became big news when she accused Cassandra Clare of stealing her ideas but I didn't learn until now that she dropped those particular charges:

https://cassandraclare.tumblr.com/post/169512494064/i-heard-a-rumor-that-sherrilyn-kenyon-is-no-longer

It does sound a little wonky. I wonder what the real story is?

notthatamanda

He's not very good at it?

Marti Talbott

He's not very good at it?

Maybe she doesn't actually have enough proof. However, I would divorce him in a hurry too.

Ghost5

From an old Guardian article, it sounds like she alleged that he poisoned her then filed for divorce. She discovered the poisoning after he'd filed/left. And I don't think she filed for divorce, he did.

I have no idea why anyone would go to the trouble to poison someone to gain their fortune then decide to divorce them before they're dead.

That's a plot hole.  :icon_rofl:
But I guess real life doesn't follow the rules of fiction. So who knows? But that did seem weird to me.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2019/jan/16/sherrilyn-kenyon-accuses-husband-of-shakespearean-plot-to-poison-her

Jeff Tanyard

I have no idea who to believe in this saga.   :shrug

If Flannery O'Connor was here, though, she'd spin it into a riveting tale.
v  v  v  v  v    Short Stories    v  v  v  v  v    vv FREE! vv

Genres: Science Fiction, Fantasy (some day) | Author Website

JRTomlin

I plan on being Flannery O'Connor  in my next life, so I'll keep this plot in mind.  :icon_mrgreen:

David VanDyke

• Long Novel unlocked
  • Full-time hybrid author and curmudgeon
    • David VanDyke's Author Website
I had an elderly family member who was clearly becoming demented--Alzheimers or something like it. She accused family members of stealing from her--even some who were out of state--and other strange things. For example, she claimed someone came in when she was gone from her home and changed out her water heater.

Other people I have known (know) seemed functional in their lives, but still believe outlandish things, small and large. Some seem paranoid, even mentally ill, but only in certain narrow areas.

Never listen to people with no skin in the game.

I'm a lucky guy. I find the harder I work, the luckier I am.

Those who prefer their English sloppy have only themselves to thank if the advertisement writer uses his mastery of the vocabulary and syntax to mislead their weak minds.

~ Dorothy L. Sayers

The following users thanked this post: Jackie

Betty Blast

Wow! That's sad for Mrs. Kenyon. I hope that everything has been resolved and that she's in a healthy space. Sorry about your family member, David, Alzheimers is a terrible disease.