Author Topic: How do you deal with migraines?  (Read 13704 times)

Captain Cranky

How do you deal with migraines?
« on: October 31, 2018, 01:32:53 PM »
As someone who gets migraines and is trying to find a way to minimise or eradicate them entirely, I'm wondering how others deal with it? I'm aware there are at least a few people here who have similar issues, and I'm curious to know what strategies, therapies and/or medications people have in place, if you are willing to share?

My migraines range from mild (for me anyway) to playing out scenes from the Exorcist, and frankly, I'm over it. Even with the mild-moderate ones (which are more frequent), doing anything creative or that requires focus is often not something I can work through. This morning I woke up with the mother of all migraines, and it took three lots of nausea medication just to get to the point where I could keep down painkillers, which rarely work for me anyway. The last time I had one this bad was about eight weeks ago, and I wound up in hospital. When it gets bad like this, it's virtually impossible to function at all let alone write anything.

Obviously I have a doctor I talk to about this, but I'm wondering if anyone else has any tips or strategies for minimising the frequency or getting rid of them when you get one. Have you found triggers that you can avoid? Have you been prescribed meds that work for you? Have you simply found ways to cope and ride it out? Do you find sitting down a lot to write can exacerbate the problem? Any help would be appreciated, because it can be debilitating at times, especially when the bad ones last for days.

Thanks all  grint

(Hopefully I put this in the right area?)
If you dare nothing, then when the day is over nothing is all you will have gained. -Neil Gaiman

Simon Haynes

Re: How do you deal with migraines?
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2018, 02:35:39 PM »
As soon as I get the flashes in my eye (my warning sign for an oncoming migraine) I take 1 aspirin with a glass of water. It wards off or mitigates the symptoms. I carry aspirin with me at all times.

Trigger is a bright light shining from the right hand side. Not always, maybe once every 6 months or so. I notice jaggy white stars in my vision, then I get tunnel vision and can't see properly for some hours. I have two close family members with the same thing.

I only get them when I'm sitting at a desk using the computer. I believe lack of sleep is a factor too.

I'm not giving medical advice, of course.  That's just my routine.

The following users thanked this post: Captain Cranky

Captain Cranky

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2018, 03:27:25 PM »
I'm not giving medical advice, of course.  That's just my routine.

Absolutely. To be clear, I'm not looking for medical advice, just different things for me to consider in case there is something I hadn't thought to try. I've been told to avoid (by doctors) the two OTC painkillers that would probably help, Ibuprofen and Aspirin. Right now I'm stuck with Paracetamol, Codeine and Zofran.  I'm at the point now where I'll probably be trying Imitrix or something, my doctor just wanted me off another medication first.

Interestingly, I don't always get a lot of warning besides the onset of pain creeping up through my skull, which is why it's hard for me to identify triggers. Sometimes insomnia will indicate one is on the way, but not always. I get migraine without aura (what I woke up with today) and then I sometimes get occular migraines, where I have a visual disturbance but no pain, and it passes in about half an hour. It kind of looks like a portal opening up or something, a circle edged in rippling light, then it gradually opens into a v-shape and passes over my vision to the left until it disappears entirely. I've had a good run lately as far as migraines are concerned, I was a bit sideswiped today. I stupidly thought some of what I was doing was helping  :icon_sad:

Like you I have family members who get them too. I'm glad the aspirin helps for you, Simon  Grin
If you dare nothing, then when the day is over nothing is all you will have gained. -Neil Gaiman

VisitasKeat

• Short Novel unlocked
  • Following my characters. Wherever they take me.
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2018, 05:10:16 PM »
I used to experience frequent resentment sessions but I have almost overcome it when I realized that resentment boomerangs.

One method that worked effectively for me is using the alchemical nature of the word "BUT".

If a stream of angry thoughts run inside my head (the anger is very much justified), I simply ACCEPT the anger with a big YES, add a BUT, and convert it into a positive thought.

Examples:

YES, I was insulted by that woman yesterday. She is a born a**hole, always jealous of me. BUT, I'm in control of my moods and I'm feeling happy anyway.

YES, I'm experiencing severe headache right now BUT I'm making conscious effort to overcome it. I will be feeling relaxed very soon.

YES, I'm feeling overburdened by my schedules BUT I'm learning to take things easily. I'm being very gentle with myself. I will set realistic goals, tangible, and I shall grow into consistency.

YES, my head has started to ache BUT I'm feeling more and more relaxed. I'm open and receptive to all the gifts life brings to me every moment: the claps of the thunders, the whistle of the train, the hum of the bird, the dance of the butterflies.

guest819

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2018, 05:31:40 PM »
I suffered with migraines for over twenty years and I tried everything medical and otherwise to try and mitigate the damage or eradicate them entirely.

I haven't suffered a migraine attack for the last twenty years, or longer.

At the onset of a migraine I used to go to bed and try minimise it's impact by taking various off the shelf medications. such as paracetamol, codeine and caffeine mixed. I swore off foods that supposedly made them worse (chocolate, coffee, wine etc.,) and each time I would end up pretty much useless for anything between three and five days.

I was running my own business so couldn't afford the time off. If I didn't work I didn't earn and my kids wouldn't get fed and the mortgage wouldn't be paid. So, I devised a strategy that would, I thought help me through them.

At the onset of a migraine I changed my workload to ease the burden, but worked my way through it. I ignored everything but the battle I was having with the headache, sickness, etc., and concentrated hard on just getting through it without lying down or taking medicines. (I found out later that paracetamol did bad things to my insides). It didn't work too well at first, but over time and each progressive attack, I gradually gained the upperhand. I don't remember how it occurred, but there came a point where instead of migraines I was getting cluster headaches which reacted differently, but I kept up the same regime, and worked my way through it.

Eventually the migraines and cluster headaches ceased altogether. Now, I rarely even get a headache, only when I drink too much and don't re-hydrate properly.

Look upon the migraine as a battle for control of your brain and determine that you will not let it win.

The following users thanked this post: Captain Cranky, Robin

Simon Haynes

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2018, 06:50:13 PM »
I don't take the aspirin to relieve pain, it's to thin the blood.  IF (and I mean IF) the migraine is caused by constricted blood vessels, then I guess thinning the blood restores the flow.

A friend of mine also gets migraines, but aspirin has no effect on them. Probably a completely different cause. She's been prescribed maxalt to take when the migraine strikes, and she was on another tablet daily for about 2 years - which was supposed to lessen the severity but in actual fact had no apparent effect.

Captain Cranky

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2018, 07:01:58 PM »
You make a lot of sense, sFABi, I appreciate it. This has been my modus operandi for awhile now. I normally do work through them, (with the exception of writing and studying), as I often find trying to sleep it off etc makes it worse. Occasionally I will get one like today that will knock me about so badly I can't move, but like I mentioned earlier I had been having a good run lately. I do think that is a direct result of being determined to win, and also what I think VisitasKeat was getting at- that words have power, what we say to ourselves (and others) can determine how we function in the world and the results we get . Some good things have been happening for me lately simply by changing the way I converse with myself, and thanks for reminding me that it applies to my migraines too.

As a positive, I'm feeling pretty awesome tonight and I've recovered from it far quicker than normal, so I'll keep powering through.  grint

Robin

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2018, 07:05:27 PM »
I suffer from migraines (without aura) and they are debilitating and I hate the pain and the vomiting :icon_cry:

I used to get loads a month but much less now because I am very careful about avoiding my triggers such as lack of sleep, over-exertion, dehydration, low blood sugar. Stress is another trigger. I get them during my period too (like I don't feel crappy enough then).

I know a migraine is on the way because I feel a dull ache around my eye and start yawning a lot. The pain increases until all I can do is go to bed and try and sleep it off. Ice packs can help sometimes (my head always feel really hot when I've got a migraine). I take paracetamol as soon as I notice my symptoms, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I used to take aspirin which was more effective, but I can't use it anymore.

Going to bed is the best cure for me, a bit tricky and annoying when I've got lots to do  :n2Str17:

Captain Cranky

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2018, 07:13:28 PM »
I don't take the aspirin to relieve pain, it's to thin the blood.  IF (and I mean IF) the migraine is caused by constricted blood vessels, then I guess thinning the blood restores the flow.

A friend of mine also gets migraines, but aspirin has no effect on them. Probably a completely different cause. She's been prescribed maxalt to take when the migraine strikes, and she was on another tablet daily for about 2 years - which was supposed to lessen the severity but in actual fact had no apparent effect.

I actually wondered that too, if thinning the blood would help as it made sense. I remember asking the doctor about it, but they didn't recommend it for me.  :shrug Everybody is different I suppose.

VanessaC

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2018, 07:24:42 PM »
I'm lucky in that my migraines are very infrequent, and definitely not as awful as some of the ones described here - big hugs for you all.  :grouphug:

I generally get visual disturbance, sometimes with no headache, sometimes it feels like the bones of my skull are trying to pull themselves apart. Fun times. However, any migraine generally floors me for at least 12 hours after.  I am not someone who can work through it, which is a total pest.

I haven't had a migraine for a few years now, thank goodness.  My day job involves sitting at a screen all day, so most of my tips relate to that. 

What's helped me are a bunch of things:
- avoid glaring overhead lights and / or flickering lights - if there has to be an overhead light source, there absolutely has to be a desk lamp (This is non-negotiable for me - I had to work in a new office with overhead lighting and no desk lamp for about 6 weeks because the bosses didn't want to spoil the aesthetic by having desk lamps - they didn't believe me that the overhead lights were causing migraines, because the office lighting "complied with industry standards".  6 weeks of migraines, doctors' and opticians' visits later and the business finally, grudgingly, agreed to let me have a desk lamp. My migraines stopped at once. I'm still cross about it over a decade later ...)
- on the same theme, when out and about on a bright day, wear sunglasses as much as possible, particularly driving in winter with low winter sun
- did I mention desk lamps?  :icon_mrgreen:
- when I'm at my desk, make sure the monitor is at the right height, and I can sit "properly" (I have a raised monitor and separate keyboard for my laptop)
- anti-glare filters in my glasses lenses (absolute god send for screen work)
- adjusting screen brightness down
- not drinking gallons and gallons of tea / coffee - the occasional glass of water at least
- getting some fresh air
- looking after my back and neck - I have a great chiropractor who unkinks my back regularly, and if I could afford it I would also be getting regular back massages
- getting enough sleep

I really hope you feel better soon.

Genre: Fantasy

The following users thanked this post: Captain Cranky, Robin, Vinjii

Captain Cranky

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2018, 07:29:56 PM »
I suffer from migraines (without aura) and they are debilitating and I hate the pain and the vomiting :icon_cry:

I used to get loads a month but much less now because I am very careful about avoiding my triggers such as lack of sleep, over-exertion, dehydration, low blood sugar. Stress is another trigger. I get them during my period too (like I don't feel crappy enough then).

I know a migraine is on the way because I feel a dull ache around my eye and start yawning a lot. The pain increases until all I can do is go to bed and try and sleep it off. Ice packs can help sometimes (my head always feel really hot when I've got a migraine). I take paracetamol as soon as I notice my symptoms, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I used to take aspirin which was more effective, but I can't use it anymore.

Going to bed is the best cure for me, a bit tricky and annoying when I've got lots to do  :n2Str17:

Yeah it's not pleasant  :hug: You know things are bad when the people you admire are the ones that claim they throw up once then their migraine magically disappears lol. I do think getting enough sleep and managing stress are biggies, and I've been working on those things. Trying to sleep it off rarely works for me though, unless I'm forced to, it usually seems to drag it on over days. If I can get myself up, it's usually for the best. I haven't been able to identify any food triggers at this stage, but I'm now keeping track of everything in a bullet journal to see if there are patterns. I exercise, which I'm convinced helps, but I'm thinking yoga might help too...

The following users thanked this post: Robin

guest819

« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2018, 07:36:36 PM »

I actually wondered that too, if thinning the blood would help as it made sense. I remember asking the doctor about it, but they didn't recommend it for me.  :shrug Everybody is different I suppose.

There's a little trick you might try.

The only place you really need to thin the blood is in the back of the neck and brain. It's where the problem is concentrated.

Try a strong anti-hystamine for starters. If it does it's job it will open the capillaries and sinus cavities. I take a 10mg dose daily. (I suffer from acute rhinitis). The other option is a rhinitis spray which does the same thing, but directly up the nasal sinus passages. I also have a strong yeast intolerance and this causes strictures in the capillaries to the brain and the anti-hystamine counters that too.

Captain Cranky

« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2018, 07:45:29 PM »
I'm lucky in that my migraines are very infrequent, and definitely not as awful as some of the ones described here - big hugs for you all.  :grouphug:

I generally get visual disturbance, sometimes with no headache, sometimes it feels like the bones of my skull are trying to pull themselves apart. Fun times. However, any migraine generally floors me for at least 12 hours after.  I am not someone who can work through it, which is a total pest.

I haven't had a migraine for a few years now, thank goodness.  My day job involves sitting at a screen all day, so most of my tips relate to that. 

What's helped me are a bunch of things:
- avoid glaring overhead lights and / or flickering lights - if there has to be an overhead light source, there absolutely has to be a desk lamp (This is non-negotiable for me - I had to work in a new office with overhead lighting and no desk lamp for about 6 weeks because the bosses didn't want to spoil the aesthetic by having desk lamps - they didn't believe me that the overhead lights were causing migraines, because the office lighting "complied with industry standards".  6 weeks of migraines, doctors' and opticians' visits later and the business finally, grudgingly, agreed to let me have a desk lamp. My migraines stopped at once. I'm still cross about it over a decade later ...)
- on the same theme, when out and about on a bright day, wear sunglasses as much as possible, particularly driving in winter with low winter sun
- did I mention desk lamps?  :icon_mrgreen:
- when I'm at my desk, make sure the monitor is at the right height, and I can sit "properly" (I have a raised monitor and separate keyboard for my laptop)
- anti-glare filters in my glasses lenses (absolute god send for screen work)
- adjusting screen brightness down
- not drinking gallons and gallons of tea / coffee - the occasional glass of water at least
- getting some fresh air
- looking after my back and neck - I have a great chiropractor who unkinks my back regularly, and if I could afford it I would also be getting regular back massages
- getting enough sleep

I really hope you feel better soon.

:goodpost:

Thanks Vanessa  Grin The monitor and light situation is something I haven't considered properly, and I really should. I use a lot of soft lighting at home, and I always wear sunnies outside (especially while driving), but beyond that I haven't given it much thought. But I will now! I agree with the back and neck care too, I've been looking at going to a local massage therapist on a regular basis. Not sure why I've been putting it off? I used to years ago. The last time I went to a chiropractor I swore so loud I think I frightened everyone in the waiting room lol. Chiropractors make me nervous  :icon_mrgreen:

VisitasKeat

• Short Novel unlocked
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2018, 07:50:40 PM »
Much to my shock, I noticed triggers starting off even when I'm not angry. That was when I suspected the merits of engaging resentment/potential anger. It boomerangs in many ways: dropping f-bombs, kicking chairs, spilling water etc. It's whole purpose, now I conclude, is to prevent me from enjoying my life, moment to moment.

Many times, I even felt like being dragged by an angry thought that prevents me from observing my environment properly. So, I will search for a spoon all over the place only to realize that it's right in front of me, possibly a little bit concealed between the ladles and pans. I would experience being dragged and pushed down while walking, all of which I attribute to resentment sessions, strict deadlines, overworking, and lack of sleep.

Many times, the trigger starts when I sit down to eat. It would be the same set of angry thoughts. Once or twice is fine... but again and again even when the issue has been resolved amicably? I'm also surprised by "late night demonic eating".

It has affected my sleep for a long time. I used to suffer Sleep Paralysis, wherein, I know that I'm awake but cannot even move an inch. I would then make tremendous effort to kick out my hands and legs. I will feel powerful winds whirling all-around me. Very scary as though I'm in a state of conscious coma.

Now I'm absolutely done with "hitting my enemies mentally". I do that in my stories instead. I have come a long way in overcoming all these obstacles by simply being self-aware and through conscious positive affirmations.

Captain Cranky

« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2018, 07:56:44 PM »

There's a little trick you might try.

The only place you really need to thin the blood is in the back of the neck and brain. It's where the problem is concentrated.

Try a strong anti-hystamine for starters. If it does it's job it will open the capillaries and sinus cavities. I take a 10mg dose daily. (I suffer from acute rhinitis). The other option is a rhinitis spray which does the same thing, but directly up the nasal sinus passages. I also have a strong yeast intolerance and this causes strictures in the capillaries to the brain and the anti-hystamine counters that too.

Huh, interesting. I take anti-histamines everyday as well, sometimes I remember to use the nasal spray, sometimes I forget. Considering I rarely forget to take the tablets, I'd be interested to see if using the spray regularly instead will make a difference. Thanks for the tip  grint

VanessaC

« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2018, 08:13:27 PM »

Thanks Vanessa  Grin The monitor and light situation is something I haven't considered properly, and I really should. I use a lot of soft lighting at home, and I always wear sunnies outside (especially while driving), but beyond that I haven't given it much thought. But I will now! I agree with the back and neck care too, I've been looking at going to a local massage therapist on a regular basis. Not sure why I've been putting it off? I used to years ago. The last time I went to a chiropractor I swore so loud I think I frightened everyone in the waiting room lol. Chiropractors make me nervous  :icon_mrgreen:

Glad you found the post helpful.  I do go on a bit!

I kind of know what you mean about chiropractors.  They could do some really, really serious damage if they ever switched to the dark side. But mine is awesome, and hugely enthusiastic about her job - although I'm in Scotland, she's American, so it's American-level enthusiasm, rather than the sometimes rather tepid British version.  :hehe

Genre: Fantasy

Vinjii

« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2018, 08:51:03 PM »
I keep a headache diary. I write down every time I get one, how long it lasts, which medications I used, if they worked or not. What I add is: things I've eaten and drunk in the 24 hours prior. Hours of sleep. Weather. Stress levels. How much I had to drink. If I skipped any meals, and if I had alcohol. Basically just writing down everything I ingested and everything about my well being / sleep. Like that I slowly managed to isolate a few triggers and try and avoid them.

Unfortunately, I do still get them quite regularly and mine seem to be largely related to my cycle / hormones.

I take paracetamol, then add Ibuprofen on top of that if the paracetamol doesn't shift it.

And what works for me is spicy food. A vindaloo that makes me cry and that on a healthy day I couldn't eat.

I also use cold packs, and hot water bottles. Some of my migraines react better to cold and some react to heat applied to my neck muscles.

My doctor said acupuncture is worth looking into. And in the past massages have helped with tension.

My diary: air pressure, humidity, temp, length of sleep, quality of sleep, mood, stress levels, alcohol, all things food, skipped meals, how much caffeine, how much fluid, how active I was, period/ovulation.

So, basically, the moment the headache starts, I will write down all of the above about the previous day and the migraine day and like that I found a few triggers (certain foods, dehydration, skipped meals and bad sleep mostly).
« Last Edit: October 31, 2018, 08:56:06 PM by Vinjii »

Captain Cranky

« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2018, 09:09:13 PM »
Now I'm absolutely done with "hitting my enemies mentally". I do that in my stories instead. I have come a long way in overcoming all these obstacles by simply being self-aware and through conscious positive affirmations.

I'm 100% in agreement with you on that one. Self-awareness and being my own cheerleader, having positive conversations with myself instead of negative ones, would probably be the single most important thing I have done for myself. It gets results. I'm still working on it.

Sleep paralysis can be scary if you aren't consciously aware of exactly what's happening. It hasn't happened to me for quite awhile now. The last time it did, instead of freaking out and thrashing about to try and get my body to move, I called out for some spiritual assistance. May sound silly to those who aren't that way inclined, and I'm aware of the scientific reason behind sleep paralysis, but it worked. I saw a hand come towards me in the dark and boom, completely conscious. Hasn't happened since   :icon_mrgreen:

Captain Cranky

« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2018, 09:22:22 PM »
I keep a headache diary. I write down every time I get one, how long it lasts, which medications I used, if they worked or not. What I add is: things I've eaten and drunk in the 24 hours prior. Hours of sleep. Weather. Stress levels. How much I had to drink. If I skipped any meals, and if I had alcohol. Basically just writing down everything I ingested and everything about my well being / sleep. Like that I slowly managed to isolate a few triggers and try and avoid them.

Unfortunately, I do still get them quite regularly and mine seem to be largely related to my cycle / hormones.

I take paracetamol, then add Ibuprofen on top of that if the paracetamol doesn't shift it.

And what works for me is spicy food. A vindaloo that makes me cry and that on a healthy day I couldn't eat.

I also use cold packs, and hot water bottles. Some of my migraines react better to cold and some react to heat applied to my neck muscles.

My doctor said acupuncture is worth looking into. And in the past massages have helped with tension.

My diary: air pressure, humidity, temp, length of sleep, quality of sleep, mood, stress levels, alcohol, all things food, skipped meals, how much caffeine, how much fluid, how active I was, period/ovulation.

So, basically, the moment the headache starts, I will write down all of the above about the previous day and the migraine day and like that I found a few triggers (certain foods, dehydration, skipped meals and bad sleep mostly).

Thanks Vinjii, that's awesome. I've been keeping a diary on most of those, not the weather though. My brother lives next door and has a weather station set up with it's own website, so I can track all sorts of weather stuff in real time. I'll add that to my bullet journal too, why not.   grint Probably TMI for a public forum, but when my doctor recently found out I was still on the pill (I'm 38) she flipped her lid. It should never have been prescribed to me with my migraines, if I wanted to stay on it then I'd need to find a different doctor. I went home and had a panic attack (she scared me with the whole stroke thing) and stopped right away. So we'll see how that goes, I'm not really seeing any real difference to my migraines as of yet.

As for the Vindaloo, I'm quite partial to Indian food, so I'm going to take that as a suggestion to continue to eat as much of it as I want  :hehe

Sarah

« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2018, 09:38:55 PM »
Mine vary. Sometimes the vision thing, mostly not. There's always pain though. One new thing I've noticed lately is my nose feels a bit cold and it feels like I've snorted mints. Anyone else got a nose-related symptom or am I completely alone?

I've identified two triggers but I know there are probably more that I've yet to discover: lack of sleep and/or dehydration. As far as I know, I am the only one in my family who gets migraines.

As for treatment the doc has me on beta blockers as a preventative, which seems to mostly work. If I forget them or they don't work then I take Maxalt as soon as I've realised what's wrong, which can be awhile as I go into denial. I can't have ibuprofen due to conflicting medications.

I have a friend who passes out and needs to be hospitalised due to her migraines, thankfully I'm not that bad. She's had some success in altering her diet but I can't remember what book it was that she read that led her to this. I have another friend who smokes medicinal marijuana once a month and reports no migraines.

Mark Gardner

« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2018, 10:06:36 PM »
I'm fortunate, I only get migraines once a year or so. Erika, on the other hand, gets them frequently. She usually retreats to our darkened bedroom and listens to white noise while lying on the bed with her eyes closed. For her, pain relievers and/or aspirin don't seem to work. Hers usually come in clusters, and she'll get weeks without a migraine, but when she gets a severe one, she's basically checked out for the day.

guest819

« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2018, 10:13:31 PM »
The more I read on here the more I appreciate that I've managed to kick the problem.

I'm wondering if, when I worked my way through the migraines, that I wasn't using relaxation techniques unconsciously to limit the effect on me. This leads me to also think we're all dealing with the same issue, but with different pain thresholds and different physical make-up's meaning we cannot find a common solution.

It does seem to be centred around the brain, although I agree with the Indian Curry trick too. I ALWAYS found a hot, spicy meal would act as a cure-all. I think you will find that there are qualities within certain curry spices that work to alleviate the symptoms.

Mark Gardner

« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2018, 10:30:58 PM »
It does seem to be centred around the brain, although I agree with the Indian Curry trick too. I ALWAYS found a hot, spicy meal would act as a cure-all. I think you will find that there are qualities within certain curry spices that work to alleviate the symptoms.
You reminded me that Erika, who doesn't drink caffeinated coffee (occasionally she'll have a half-caf), will have a cup of full-caf when she feels a migraine coming on, and often, that will assuage the intensity of the migraine.

Vijaya

« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2018, 10:35:02 PM »
CC, I'm so sorry you are suffering. I hope you are better very soon. Just last week I had a terrible bout with it and was a puddle of tears.

What helps: a dark room, ice packs, mint oil rubbed on my temples, back of the neck. Biofreeze gel massaged into my scalp when it's bad. There's also a spray--Therapain--that helps take the edge off. With all these menthol products, just make sure they don't go into the eyes.

If I'm not barfing, I'll take Maxalt (a triptan) and combine it with ibuprofen. If I have to be up and about, I'll take Excedrin. However, I try to minimize the use of paracetamol because it can cause rebound headaches. I've been keeping a headache diary for years now and I record everything I take and it's clear I don't have food issues (I did several elimination diets in the early days and zero correlations) but any kind of change (hormone, weather, loud noises, flashing lights) can trigger them.

I also take a combo low-dose beta blocker and nortriptyline at night as a preventative. They help. I've tried getting off them but the migraines return in a big way, so I take them. It's not a big deal to feel sleepy at night. I also take a daily aspirin--I'd say it's the one medication that has zero side effects. If migraine is bad, I'll take an antihistamine at night.

I've tried so many other treatments--acupuncture, chiropractic, botox--and they worked for about 6 mo. Acupuncture didn't do a thing and I hated being poked with needles. The foot massage at the end of the session was the best though. I also tried other meds like low dose anti-seizures and they didn't work. An interesting side effect was losing words--not good for a writer.

Last year my husband and I started fasting for religious reasons and I noticed a marked decrease in the migraines. I find it difficult to fast when the rest of the family is eating (I love to cook and eat) but it seems like the easiest thing to do. So once our younger child flies the nest, I'll be experimenting with longer fasts.

One thing to remember is that our brains are plastic. The preventatives help in stopping those pain pathways. But we can do a lot of good with our thoughts as well. Others have mentioned taking control of your life, your feelings and I have to admit that positive thoughts help greatly. I suppose it's a form of biofeedback. I also do the Catholic thing of offering it up so that the suffering isn't meaningless. I've become more compassionate as a result. I will pray for you too, and all who are suffering here.

Author of over 100 books and magazine pieces, primarily for children
Vijaya Bodach | Personal Blog | Bodach Books

Vijaya

« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2018, 10:36:12 PM »
Yes, to the hot, spicy food helping. Also Vietnamese pho. It must be the cayenne.

alyson

« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2018, 11:27:04 PM »
Suffered migraines for two decades. Now they are rare for me.

As soon as I feel myself getting tense, I relax. Get away from the computer. If I want to read or write, it's return to paper.

I use -- don't even know what it's called. A bag full of treated rice that I heat in the microwave, then apply to the pressure spots (back of the neck or the forehead).

Also heated and massaged the feet. Used reflexology charts to work on spots related to the spine. Acupressure and reflexology points are amazing.

Long hot showers.

It's very possible my migraines are not as bad as other people's. Never was so nauseated that I threw up, though it was one of the few times I lost my appetite.

Migraine diet. Horrible thought.

Best wishes.

YouMeWe

« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2018, 11:35:10 PM »
I’ve suffered with migraines my whole life, and never been prescribed any medication that helped. In recent years, I’ve eschewed all traditional and medical advice in favour of what actually assists me. Please don’t take this as any sort of advice - I am not a doctor - just a fellow migraine sufferer with a personal strategy to share in the hope you may find some relief. As always, YMMV.

As basic preventive measures, I take a daily herbal supplement called Feverfew. Have f.lux installed on my computer. Avoid mobile masts and pylons as though they were the plague.

When an attack strikes, I get outside in the fresh air. And if a killer comes and nothing else works - an ice-pack always helps.

I hope you find a strategy that works for you. I know how debilitating they can be.  :Healing:
Pleez scoose n e errers, eyes lerrnin diktashun.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2018, 12:11:04 AM »

Try taking iron a few days before your period is due and every day until it's over. Anemia is also a trigger. That worked for me.

I used to get cluster headaches. Started when I was 18 and not even the strongest prescription pain pills helped. The headache would start on one side for about two days, be gone for maybe half a day to a day, and then switch to the other side. This happened every single week for months at a time. Summer was worse for some reason although I never had one single headache when I was pregnant.

My solution was also mental. When I would feel one coming on, I would clench every muscle in my body as tight as I could, even my head and clenched my teeth and yell at the headache to go away. I would hold that as long as I could and when I'd relax, the headache would be gone.

Cluster headaches are different from migraines of course, but that same sort of mental discipline that works for some of you, also worked for me. I haven't had a cluster headache for many years now.

VisitasKeat

• Short Novel unlocked
« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2018, 01:09:16 AM »

I'm 100% in agreement with you on that one. Self-awareness and being my own cheerleader, having positive conversations with myself instead of negative ones, would probably be the single most important thing I have done for myself. It gets results. I'm still working on it.

Sleep paralysis can be scary if you aren't consciously aware of exactly what's happening. It hasn't happened to me for quite awhile now. The last time it did, instead of freaking out and thrashing about to try and get my body to move, I called out for some spiritual assistance. May sound silly to those who aren't that way inclined, and I'm aware of the scientific reason behind sleep paralysis, but it worked. I saw a hand come towards me in the dark and boom, completely conscious. Hasn't happened since   :icon_mrgreen:

Nowadays, I do pray just before sleep. Thanks for mentioning that.  Oh, and there is one more reason for that: I suffered sleep injury last year. When I woke up, I felt severe pain in left knee. The pain was like I had crushed my knee against a boulder. It continued for nearly a month till I realized that it was due to sleeping posture. I had googled out this stealthy sleep assault. They even sell special pillows to tie around your knee.

Vijaya

« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2018, 01:24:12 AM »
Supplements. There are capsules called Migraine Max (terrible name) with Vitamins, minerals, and herbals that have been known to help. I still remember how well they worked for a couple of months. Now I just take Mg supplement with my food.

oganalp

« Reply #30 on: November 01, 2018, 02:01:34 AM »
- Lower the stress (if only...)
- Consistent sleep cycles (if it is 5 hours sleep that works for you, sleep 5 hours every day, etc.)
- Always carry sunglasses.
- Eat regularly. Hunger is a migraine jumpstarter.
- Stay away from heavy odours and perfumes.
- Always carry Advil with you, take one (or two) the moment you start seeing the auras.

This is my checklist for migraines.

Wonder

« Reply #31 on: November 01, 2018, 02:06:24 AM »
I get 6-8 migraines per year. Mine usually come with severe pain and light sensitivity, but my primary symptom  is “foggy thinking” where my brain feels like it’s powered down.

What helps me is:
-Hydration (drink a couple big glasses of water)
- Take a painkiller (Like excedrin migraine)
- Dim The lights & silence noisy things
- Turn down the thermostat to make the room cool.
- Take a 2 hour nap

REM sleep will “reboot” me and end the migraine about 75% of the time. Pushing through the pain makes them last much longer.

Kate Elizabeth

« Reply #32 on: November 01, 2018, 04:07:20 AM »
I've had migraines since at least the 5th grade.  What works for me now is taking 600 mg of Gabapentin every night.  My migraine days per month have been greatly reduced.  If I start to see floaters, auras, or lose partial vision, even without pain, I go ahead and take Excedrin Migraine.  A dark, quiet room and an icy cloth on my forehead and the back of my neck will help give me relief, but the main thing is sleeping it off.  I used to vomit with the severe pain, but, thankfully, that part is rare now.

Stress and a relief from stress can bring a migraine on for me, as well as a lack of sleep, and food combinations.  I finally realized in middle school that I couldn't have bacon and orange juice together.

I hope that you find some relief.

guest819

« Reply #33 on: November 01, 2018, 04:39:20 AM »
I've had migraines since at least the 5th grade.  What works for me now is taking 600 mg of Gabapentin every night.  My migraine days per month have been greatly reduced.  If I start to see floaters, auras, or lose partial vision, even without pain, I go ahead and take Excedrin Migraine.  A dark, quiet room and an icy cloth on my forehead and the back of my neck will help give me relief, but the main thing is sleeping it off.  I used to vomit with the severe pain, but, thankfully, that part is rare now.

Stress and a relief from stress can bring a migraine on for me, as well as a lack of sleep, and food combinations.  I finally realized in middle school that I couldn't have bacon and orange juice together.

I hope that you find some relief.

That sounds like you have a really REALLY tough time of it.  :shrug Yes, I know the problem of stress relief causing migraines. :icon_sad:

Lex

« Reply #34 on: November 01, 2018, 07:39:15 AM »
I had regular migraines for 15 years. Then I stopped taking my birth control pills and the migraines disappeared. It was a lovely 2-3 years. Unfortunately, I was diagnosed with endometriosis in January, which meant back on the hormones. The headaches have returned.

I consider myself lucky in that I probably only get them about once a month. They usually go away after a good sleep. I don't get an aura, and they have yet to make me vomit, though I do get nauseous when they're really bad.

I had a prescription for Zomig in college. It's the only thing that ever worked reliably. And quickly. I should probably get it again, but I've kind of had my fill of doctor's appointments for the year, so I keep putting off going in to get a new rx.

Other things that worked for a limited time, and then seemed to lose effectiveness:

- Excedrin Migraine (I think I eventually grew accustomed to the caffeine)
- Head On (APPLY DIRECTLY TO THE FOREHEAD!)
- peppermint essential oil  (APPLIED DIRECTLY TO THE FOREHEAD!  grint )
- lying down in a quiet room with a buckwheat pillow over my eyes (something about the weight is very soothing)
- biofeedback (my own self-taught half-assed version)
- closing my eyes and listening to this video in its entirety:

That last one -- the binaural white noise thing -- worked really well about a dozen times. I thought I'd found the wonder cure. But it didn't help much with the last two headaches, so I'm kind of worried that it's not effective for me anymore. I don't know if all of it is really placebo and eventually my body figures it out? I'd rather not take medication, but I'm getting to that point again where it's just too much to handle.

I've never tried spicy food, so I'll keep that in mind for next time.

Also, I saw this on Pinterest years ago, and I've always wanted to try it, but by the time I think of it, I usually feel too awful to bother:

Lex

« Reply #35 on: November 01, 2018, 07:44:46 AM »
Forgot to mention, I'm currently testing out some highly concentrated CBD oil. I have a lower concentrate I've been using for general anxiety relief and minor pain issues. It didn't seem to help much with the headaches, so I decided to try a version that's 6x stronger to see if that helps any with the next headache.

Captain Cranky

« Reply #36 on: November 01, 2018, 09:44:16 AM »
Wow, so many good suggestions here  grint  It bothers me that so many people here are having to deal with these issues, and it seems crazy that it's almost an epidemic in general. In my mind there has to be a stress/thought component to migraines. What is considered stressful (even if it is subconscious and we're not immediately aware), the levels and consistency, how that stress manifests in the body and results in migraine symptoms, and the response/coping mechanisms seem to be the difference in how each of us are affected-or not. It's awesome that so many ideas have been put out there, hopefully everyone can come away with something useful to apply to their situation. And if anyone does try something new and gets results, please come back to the thread and say so!

To the list I'm also going to add sleep hygiene. How your bedroom is set up in regards to light, temperature, noise, as well as your mattress and pillows are all just as important as getting enough sleep. Buying posture pillows hasn't magically fixed my migraines, but it has definitely made sleep more comfortable for me, and helped minimise neck pain etc.

Also, other therapies can help too, such as hypnotherapy. I'm a trained and qualified clinical hypnotherapist, and I've seen time and time again how a good therapist who knows how to drill down to the core of issues and shift them quickly can be a major help. It might be time to seek one out for myself, I'm not sure why I spend so much time coping instead of actively pursuing :shrug

Mine vary. Sometimes the vision thing, mostly not. There's always pain though. One new thing I've noticed lately is my nose feels a bit cold and it feels like I've snorted mints. Anyone else got a nose-related symptom or am I completely alone?

I've identified two triggers but I know there are probably more that I've yet to discover: lack of sleep and/or dehydration. As far as I know, I am the only one in my family who gets migraines.

As for treatment the doc has me on beta blockers as a preventative, which seems to mostly work. If I forget them or they don't work then I take Maxalt as soon as I've realised what's wrong, which can be awhile as I go into denial. I can't have ibuprofen due to conflicting medications.

I have a friend who passes out and needs to be hospitalised due to her migraines, thankfully I'm not that bad. She's had some success in altering her diet but I can't remember what book it was that she read that led her to this. I have another friend who smokes medicinal marijuana once a month and reports no migraines.

I have no idea about the nose thing, but everyone is different, I'm sure you're not alone.  Grin I've heard good things about medical weed too, I've also briefly looked at things like Kratom. Ideally I don't want to be taking anything for migraines, beyond supplements etc if needed, so I'll be exhausting all those things first. But I refuse to live like this for the rest of my life, so it's good to know all the options. The CBD oil Lex mentioned might be a good option too.

angela

• Short Novel unlocked
  • Indie publishing since 2011. Still kickin'.
« Reply #37 on: November 01, 2018, 09:59:20 AM »
I've never suffered from migraines, but I have been following an ayurvedic neurological / gut program for most of 2018, and it makes me feel great. My mood is better, and I rarely get the dreaded mid-afternoon "brain fog."

http://drkulreetchaudhary.com/2015/12/a-smarter-gut-results-in-spontaneous-weight-loss/

It's called the Prime, by Dr. Kulreet Chaudhary. I'm sipping the Prime tea now as I post this. I add cinnamon sticks to mine.

ETA: She markets the book as a weight-loss program, but it was developed for neurological problems. Spontaneous weight loss is the side effect. I've only lost about 2 pounds this year, but I was at my goal weight to begin with.

I'm really sorry CC and everyone who suffers migraines. They sound terrible. *hugs*

« Last Edit: November 01, 2018, 10:01:34 AM by angelapepper »

Captain Cranky

« Reply #38 on: November 01, 2018, 10:19:01 AM »
I've never suffered from migraines, but I have been following an ayurvedic neurological / gut program for most of 2018, and it makes me feel great. My mood is better, and I rarely get the dreaded mid-afternoon "brain fog."

http://drkulreetchaudhary.com/2015/12/a-smarter-gut-results-in-spontaneous-weight-loss/

It's called the Prime, by Dr. Kulreet Chaudhary. I'm sipping the Prime tea now as I post this. I add cinnamon sticks to mine.

ETA: She markets the book as a weight-loss program, but it was developed for neurological problems. Spontaneous weight loss is the side effect. I've only lost about 2 pounds this year, but I was at my goal weight to begin with.

I'm really sorry CC and everyone who suffers migraines. They sound terrible. *hugs*

Thanks, angelapepper, I'll take a look  Grin I was reading up awhile ago on the gut's connection to migraines, and the link between the two is definitely there, in my opinion. The nausea/throwing up associated with migraines is thought to stem from gut stasis, essentially it slows right down, which is why for *some* people taking painkillers too late is pretty much useless. It was one of the reasons why I started drinking and making my own kombucha  :icon_mrgreen:

idontknowyet

« Reply #39 on: November 01, 2018, 11:09:29 AM »
I do find ice on the neck  and an hot wash cloth on the eyes helps for extreme migraines. It doesn't cure them but it provides some relief.

I don't use it for everyone, because at this point they need to be very intense for me not to be able to go on with life like normal, but I've almost never (see above) not had this work.  2 extra strength Excedrin and a bottle of mountain dew is my cure all.

angela

• Short Novel unlocked
  • Indie publishing since 2011. Still kickin'.
« Reply #40 on: November 01, 2018, 11:18:56 AM »

Thanks, angelapepper, I'll take a look  Grin I was reading up awhile ago on the gut's connection to migraines, and the link between the two is definitely there, in my opinion. The nausea/throwing up associated with migraines is thought to stem from gut stasis, essentially it slows right down, which is why for *some* people taking painkillers too late is pretty much useless. It was one of the reasons why I started drinking and making my own kombucha  :icon_mrgreen:

We are really diving into the personal, so here goes! Last winter, I had to take antibiotics for something, and I noticed within 2 days of starting the antibiotics that my "old lady anxiety" was gone. I call it that because it manifested a lot when we were driving. I kept asking my husband to drive slower, because I imagined calamities happening at every turn. I would be sweating if I had to drive on the highway. I was also tending toward not wanting to leave the house. Ever. But then, 2 days into antibiotics, it was gone.

That was when I launched my own investigation into wtf was happening that had not just covered my anxiety but had beaten it back. My best guess is it was a gut thing, possibly something I've had out of balance my whole life.

But while there are a ton of cool science books about gut flora and what they're learning these days, I found very little practical hands-on advice, until I found Dr. Chaudhury's book. It's been a real lifesaver.

I sincerely hope it, or something else, can help you. I know science is on the cusp of some great breakthroughs in gut science... I just hope, for the love of all humanity and everything going on right now, that they get there sooner than later. But... maybe Ayurvedic medicine was already there 6000 years ago. D'oh.

Captain Cranky

« Reply #41 on: November 01, 2018, 11:46:31 AM »

We are really diving into the personal, so here goes! Last winter, I had to take antibiotics for something, and I noticed within 2 days of starting the antibiotics that my "old lady anxiety" was gone. I call it that because it manifested a lot when we were driving. I kept asking my husband to drive slower, because I imagined calamities happening at every turn. I would be sweating if I had to drive on the highway. I was also tending toward not wanting to leave the house. Ever. But then, 2 days into antibiotics, it was gone.

That was when I launched my own investigation into wtf was happening that had not just covered my anxiety but had beaten it back. My best guess is it was a gut thing, possibly something I've had out of balance my whole life.

But while there are a ton of cool science books about gut flora and what they're learning these days, I found very little practical hands-on advice, until I found Dr. Chaudhury's book. It's been a real lifesaver.

I sincerely hope it, or something else, can help you. I know science is on the cusp of some great breakthroughs in gut science... I just hope, for the love of all humanity and everything going on right now, that they get there sooner than later. But... maybe Ayurvedic medicine was already there 6000 years ago. D'oh.

I'm happy you found relief with that book, I took a look at the site earlier and downloaded the book sample to read a bit later. (The aussie price is a bit  :icon_eek: to buy straight off the bat without sampling). There's no doubt in my mind that the gut plays an important role in our health-physically and mentally. I do have some books on Ayurvedic medicine or cooking somewhere, I should dig them out. Thanks for sharing angelapepper  Grin

Maggie Ann

« Reply #42 on: November 01, 2018, 11:54:39 AM »
Bob and Brad are two physical therapists that cover all kinds of conditions on youtube. They helped me with another problem I had so I thought I would see what they had to say about migraines.

I don't know if it will help. I'm just throwing it out here, not recommending anything. Maybe some little tidbit will help someone.

M R M

« Reply #43 on: November 01, 2018, 12:46:11 PM »
I get incredible "analog tv static" visual effects before the onset. Unmistakable. First up, I find I can't see LCD screens - not at all, and then the static spreads and gradually fills my vision. I have always been a muscle through it kind of guy, but that's just stupid when you are effectively blind and trying to serve customers in a retail setting or teach a class of high school lunatics - been there, done both. What I have found is dropping a couple of paracetamol at first instance of the visual effects will stall the other symptoms in a majority of instances. Asprin also works, and at a pinch Ibuprofen though it is much less effective. If you miss the moment and take something later, when the pain has begun, I then find ibuprofen more effective than the others for some reason.

But those medications do not work for everybody. However, I know of multiple people who find temperature disparity between forehead and neck helps them. Stick an ice pack on the back of your neck and a (not too hot) heat pack on your forehead, or the other way around, and then swap it after a few minutes. I have met people who swear by this - some who like the cold at the back, some like it at the front, and some switch it around. I haven't tried it myself so I can not report, but the heat pack on the forehead concerns me - I see some physiological issues your doctor would be unhappy about with it, so if you try it do so with care.
(____________ F A N T A S Y ____________) (____________S C I E N C E   F I C T I O N ____________)

Australian Science Fiction and Fantasy Author M R Mortimer
| Author Web Site | Facebook Page | Twitter Page | Fantasy Series

The following users thanked this post: Captain Cranky, Lex

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #44 on: November 01, 2018, 07:25:10 PM »
Mine are food-related.  The type of food doesn't matter.  It's all about "amount" and "timing."  If I eat too much or too early, then I risk a migraine.  So my trigger is basically the opposite of the "hunger" trigger mentioned in the thread.

I think there are sleep and exercise variables, too, but I haven't pinned those down yet.

No medicine helps until I've gotten all the food out of my body.  There are only two ways to do that: sitting on the toilet, and leaning over it.  I actually welcome the vomiting, because it hastens the end of the migraine.

Once all the food is out--which takes many trips to the bathroom because my migraines are basically digestive malfunctions--the headache lessens in a noticeable way.  Then I use Excedrin to finish it off.

During the migraine, I'm pretty much useless.  My brain is in a sort of fog, and I'm not alert enough to focus on anything.  It completely sucks.
v  v  v  v  v    Short Stories    v  v  v  v  v    vv FREE! vv

Genres: Science Fiction, Fantasy (some day) | Author Website

Hopscotch

« Reply #45 on: November 01, 2018, 07:55:01 PM »
I'm a migraine survivor.  25 years of misery suddenly stopped and I don't know why.  I don't mean to sound to flip, but mine disappeared when my child was born, and I'm male.  Which is to say "migraine" appears to me to cover a collection of problems not well understood individually by doctors or well-researched.  I wish I had heard some of the ideas in this thread when I was suffering.   
. .

Captain Cranky

« Reply #46 on: November 01, 2018, 08:32:24 PM »
Mine are food-related.  The type of food doesn't matter.  It's all about "amount" and "timing."  If I eat too much or too early, then I risk a migraine.  So my trigger is basically the opposite of the "hunger" trigger mentioned in the thread.

I think there are sleep and exercise variables, too, but I haven't pinned those down yet.

No medicine helps until I've gotten all the food out of my body.  There are only two ways to do that: sitting on the toilet, and leaning over it.  I actually welcome the vomiting, because it hastens the end of the migraine.

Once all the food is out--which takes many trips to the bathroom because my migraines are basically digestive malfunctions--the headache lessens in a noticeable way.  Then I use Excedrin to finish it off.

During the migraine, I'm pretty much useless.  My brain is in a sort of fog, and I'm not alert enough to focus on anything.  It completely sucks.

I'm sorry, Jeff, that does suck  :icon_sad: I hope you can find a way to deal with it, or heal completely. I know you said the type of food doesn't matter, and this is going to be something obvious you've no doubt looked into, but you have been tested for Coeliac's right?

Which is to say "migraine" appears to me to cover a collection of problems not well understood individually by doctors or well-researched.   

Tell me about it! It's boggling my mind right now that so many people are suffering with migraines and it's so random and individual. I don't know, it's crazy  :shrug

Vijaya

« Reply #47 on: November 02, 2018, 12:12:23 AM »
Jeff and Angela, there definitely seems to be a gut-brain connection. We also started brewing our own kombucha to improve health. Will look into Dr. Chaudhary's book.

Maggie Ann, I learned some good exercises from my chiro, like in the video.

Something I forgot to mention is music. Almost every kind of music makes my headache worse. The only exception is Gregorian chant. It can actually reduce the pain. Since I'm always looking for non-pharma ways I hope it can help others too.

The following users thanked this post: Captain Cranky, angela

Bill Hiatt

• Trilogy unlocked
  • Tickling the imagination one book at a time
    • Bill Hiatt's Author Website
« Reply #48 on: November 02, 2018, 12:36:12 AM »
I'm going to second one of the earlier suggestions: feverfew. While it doesn't work for every migraine sufferer--the causes aren't always the same--it does work in enough cases to be worth mentioning. It treats the cause by reducing the likelihood of swelling in cerebral blood vessels that can lead to constriction and/or impact nearby pain receptors.

I never had migraines, but I did suffer from an odd situation I referred to as ghost headaches--a persistent but very low-level headache that was just barely noticeable. Some of you with migraines are probably wondering why I'd even care about something so minor. The answer is because it was nearly constant. I could tell it was stress-related because I was a teacher, and the headaches vanished during school breaks. Short of leaving the profession, though, there weren't too many ways to minimize stress. Many of the causes were out of my control.

I tried feverfew as one of several attempts to deal with the issue, and it worked almost immediately. Because it only works on about 20% of non-migraine headaches, it's probable that the causes of my ghost headaches were similar to migraine causes, just not as severe. Anyway, for genuine migraines, it's certainly worth a try.

One caveat: feverfew normally doesn't have unpleasant side-effects, but extended use (past four months) can lead to digestive issues like acid reflux. I don't think that's common, but it is worth mentioning.

Tickling the imagination one book at a time
Bill Hiatt | fiction website | education website | Facebook author page | Twitter

Maggie Ann

« Reply #49 on: November 02, 2018, 12:53:13 AM »
Jeff and Angela, there definitely seems to be a gut-brain connection. We also started brewing our own kombucha to improve health. Will look into Dr. Chaudhary's book.

Maggie Ann, I learned some good exercises from my chiro, like in the video.

Something I forgot to mention is music. Almost every kind of music makes my headache worse. The only exception is Gregorian chant. It can actually reduce the pain. Since I'm always looking for non-pharma ways I hope it can help others too.

I find Gregorian Chant very soothing. I can't get Alexa to play it but I do have two CDs.