Author Topic: Do animated covers sell more books?  (Read 4027 times)

Vidya

Do animated covers sell more books?
« on: January 04, 2019, 06:46:22 PM »
I googled animated covers and found this:

https://www.amazon.com/Animated-Book-Cover/dp/B07CLKBTBX

Looks good but I note in the thumbnail, you cant see any animation. So then will it really help in attracting attention and tempting a reader to buy?

Plus, the animation on this is mainly the dragon breathing fire, which isnt the most interesting animation.

Has anyone tried using animated covers? they were mentioned on KB but I don't remember much about that thread now.

I understand they値l be more expensive but I live in India and there are several animation schools in my city. I could ask an animation student to do it. I知 sure it would be cheaper than hiring a designer in the west.

So should I go for it? I want a YA PNR cover and I thought it would be a cute idea to perhaps show the guy and girl kissing in animation.

but if it wont help sales, then no point.

dgcasey

• Long Novel unlocked
  • Take my memories. I hope you got a big appetite.
Re: Do animated covers sell more books?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2019, 07:19:47 PM »
I googled animated covers and found this:

https://www.amazon.com/Animated-Book-Cover/dp/B07CLKBTBX

Looks good but I note in the thumbnail, you cant see any animation. So then will it really help in attracting attention and tempting a reader to buy?

Plus, the animation on this is mainly the dragon breathing fire, which isnt the most interesting animation.

Has anyone tried using animated covers? they were mentioned on KB but I don't remember much about that thread now.

I understand they値l be more expensive but I live in India and there are several animation schools in my city. I could ask an animation student to do it. I知 sure it would be cheaper than hiring a designer in the west.

So should I go for it? I want a YA PNR cover and I thought it would be a cute idea to perhaps show the guy and girl kissing in animation.

but if it wont help sales, then no point.

Seems like much ado about nothing. It's a cool looking cover, the animation is eye-catching. But, it doesn't show up on the book's page. There is no link on the page that says, "Hey, take a look at my really cool, animated cover!" It's nowhere to be seen. So, for potential buyers to see it, that link you put above needs to be advertised. Do you really want to spend your advertising dollars on getting people to look at a cover? I mean, if your posting it to Facebook or Pinterest or Instagram (can they even do animated photos?) and it isn't costing you anything, then maybe it's fine. But, you still have to pay to have the cover created. If I was spending money of a cover, I'd just spend it on the cover design that's going to be on the Amazon page for all the world to see.
I will not forget one line of this, not one day. I will always remember when the Doctor was me.
"The Tales of Garlan" title="The Tales of Garlan"
"Into The Wishing Well" title="Into The Wishing Well"
Dave's Amazon Author page | DGlennCasey.com | TheDailyPainter.com
I'm the Doctor by the way, what's your name? Rose. Nice to meet you, Rose. Run for your life!

Vidya

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2019, 08:00:50 PM »
Thanks, Dave. I didn't even realize it doesn't show up on the book's page. I clicked on it only when you said so.

Now i知 puzzled. If the  animation isnt even on the book's page, what is the point of it? I thought the whole point was to stand out among other covers.

Does Amazon promote animated covers in any way? That would at least be a reason to do one.

Vidya

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2019, 11:12:51 PM »
Ok, if I want an animated cover, I can have one. I called a graphic artist recommended to me and she said she would do one for just a few thousand rupees more.

She doesn't have much experience designing book covers.  She will do an illustrated cover for around Rs 10,000 to 12,000, ie around $150 to 175.

I need to send her examples of YA PNR covers so she can get an idea how they look. I found many covers on Pinterest but there are too many urban fantasy covers mixed up with the others on the same page.

I want to send her covers that feature a young girl and guy with the background of a castle or something royal.

I found this:

https://www.amazon.com/Vampire-King-Adult-Fairy-Cinderella-ebook/dp/B06ZXVPL58

the couple looks too old but its just to give her an idea.

I searched for others like it. can anyone suggest any other PNR covers that feature a girl and guy with the background of a castle or something royal?

I told her about what Melody posted on KB, about some designers just copying other images and she agreed to sign a contract saying it was her original work.

So hopefully, no worries she will just rip off any examples I show her.

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2019, 01:59:12 AM »
There is no link on the page that says, "Hey, take a look at my really cool, animated cover!" It's nowhere to be seen.

If you scroll all the way down to "Product Details" the next section is "Related Video Shorts" and that's where the link to the animated cover shows up.

Seems pointless if you ask me.  If they are scrolling that far down the page, they are probably looking for reviews.  If you have good reviews, you don't want them stopping to look at an animated cover.  You want them to keep moving, read the good reviews, decide they want the book and buy it.

I don't see how the animated cover is going to help in the "make the sale" process.  Seems more like an interruption in the buying process than giving them a reason to buy.
Mulder: "If you're distracted by fear of those around you, it keeps you from seeing the actions of those above."
The X-Files: "Blood"

dgcasey

• Long Novel unlocked
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2019, 02:27:31 AM »
If you scroll all the way down to "Product Details" the next section is "Related Video Shorts" and that's where the link to the animated cover shows up.

Thanks Dan. I hadn't scrolled all the way down the page, so I didn't see it. And like you, it just seems like it would be wasted money and effort. Better to spend our time and money of the cover and blurb, along with effective advertising.
I will not forget one line of this, not one day. I will always remember when the Doctor was me.
I'm the Doctor by the way, what's your name? Rose. Nice to meet you, Rose. Run for your life!

Denise

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2019, 02:51:43 AM »
On animated covers: I think they are more for the author's website, Facebook, etc.

Maybe I'm old, but I don't like them. I still think of books as books, and books have static images for covers.

Vidya, good luck with your new cover!

Vidya

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2019, 02:36:37 AM »
Thanks, Denise. i値l admit the fact she doesn't have experience designing book covers is giving me pause, though her prices are tempting.

Bill Hiatt

• Trilogy unlocked
  • Tickling the imagination one book at a time
    • Bill Hiatt's Author Website
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2019, 01:57:51 AM »
I'm perfectly willing to accept the idea of animated covers, but until they're prominent on the product page, I wouldn't spend money on them.

There was a time when Createspace offered an (expensive) service for creating book trailers. The hook was that the trailer would appear on the book page. I asked the person in charge for some data. (Success stories, average increase in sales, that kind of thing). I never got an answer. A few months later, the service disappeared. Conclusion: Either nobody was buying, or people who did buy weren't satisfied with the results. If the latter is the case, it would suggest that video elements on book pages weren't making that much of a difference to buyers, for whatever reason.

Amazon experimented with animated books (not just covers, but also some chapter headings). I saw that on a few imprint books, but nowhere else. It didn't seem to expand, and we never heard much about it. Conclusion: that approach didn't do much for sales, either.

So maybe I wouldn't go animated even if the animated cover was featured on the product page...

Tickling the imagination one book at a time
Bill Hiatt | fiction website | education website | Facebook author page | Twitter

LilyBLily

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2019, 03:15:48 AM »
Put them in your Facebook posts in particular. Supposedly, FB likes videos and won't suppress them as it does prose. And definitely put them on your website. I know people who've done these for ads on FB, too. Don't think they're doing them consistently, but many indies (including me sometimes) will try any new wrinkle.

I wouldn't spend serious money on it, though. Lumen5 has a free level if you want to mess around and see what you can come up with yourself. Deranged Doctor Design may offer you a lower price than the person you contacted in your country, and DD has plenty of cover experience.

Some people don't like the animated emojis here, so assume that some people won't like animated covers, either.

guest153

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2019, 01:11:33 PM »
Put them in your Facebook posts in particular. Supposedly, FB likes videos and won't suppress them as it does prose. And definitely put them on your website. I know people who've done these for ads on FB, too. Don't think they're doing them consistently, but many indies (including me sometimes) will try any new wrinkle.

I wouldn't spend serious money on it, though. Lumen5 has a free level if you want to mess around and see what you can come up with yourself. Deranged Doctor Design may offer you a lower price than the person you contacted in your country, and DD has plenty of cover experience.

Some people don't like the animated emojis here, so assume that some people won't like animated covers, either.

Agreed. If you were using it for an FB ad, it's a good idea because it will draw more attention. But you won't be able to use it on the vendor sites.

Vidya

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2019, 02:05:20 PM »
Thanks, everyone. does anyone know of anyone who does good YA PNR illustrated covers for around what my local person is charging, ie 150 to 200 dollars?

Her portfolio showed mainly photos and no illustrations. Is it safe to hire someone who can't demo her skill with illustrations? Now i think not, so i'm hesitant to hire her.

If 150 to 200 dollars is too cheap, do you know of anyone who does it for a reasonable but not exorbitant price?

guest153

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2019, 02:07:48 PM »
I would not hire someone who doesn't have samples of what I'm asking for.

Denise

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2019, 03:03:59 PM »
Thanks, everyone. does anyone know of anyone who does good YA PNR illustrated covers for around what my local person is charging, ie 150 to 200 dollars?

Her portfolio showed mainly photos and no illustrations. Is it safe to hire someone who can't demo her skill with illustrations? Now i think not, so i'm hesitant to hire her.

No, it's not safe at all. An illustrator usually has a portfolio with a bunch of illustrations. Recently there was a case of a book designer who stole pictures and pretended it was her original art. Because of that case, for me it's a real red flag if someone claims to do illustration but doesn't have a portfolio.

I suggest you check DeviantArt. You can post a job offer with your budget: https://forum.deviantart.com/jobs/offers/ 

You can also check artists who do commissions. I only remember these two from the top of my head (and they are in your budget):

https://www.deviantart.com/keelerleah

https://www.deviantart.com/clayscence/gallery/
https://www.deviantart.com/clayscence/art/COMMISSION-INFORMATION-566047671?ga_submit_new=10%3A1537227216&ga_type=edit&ga_changes=1

After the illustration you'll need to do the title, though. Can you do it yourself? If not, you can hire a designer for a title treatment and perhaps for paperback formatting, but it shouldn't cost much.

That said, PNR doesn't usually have illustrated covers.

My suggestion for you would be to get a regular cover designer who works with photomanipulation and/or 3D and has done covers in your genre. I think illustrated covers can be risky except for space sci-fi and epic/high fantasy.

Is there a reason why you want illustrated covers?

Now, I have illustrated covers too. I don't know if they hinder sales or if they can be a good branding strategy. Maybe both? But I write fantasy, and I had upper MG/lower YA, for which they really fit.

Also, I work with a digital artist, and we could do the kind of cover you're looking for, even with some overpainting, but not fully illustrated. https://ddcoverart.com/  That said, there are cover artists with more experience in PNR.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2019, 03:32:49 PM by Denise »

The following users thanked this post: FridayRaccoon

FridayRaccoon

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2019, 03:11:57 PM »
The animation looks like it is a cinemagraph. There are a bunch of different programs and apps to make your own.
I’ve used an app called “werble” before and its actually pretty fun to play around with. I think it could be useful to post on social media websites. It’s free, and the different effects are around 2 dollars or so.
https://www.werbleapp.com/
and they post examples on their instagram too :
https://www.instagram.com/werbleapp/

As for the illustration, Deviantart could be a good place to check.
I think most YA books use stock images instead of illustrations, so searching terms like “fantasy, royal, castle, romance” might help. Make sure they leave enough room for the typography if you find an illustrator that doesnt normally do book covers.

Also, MelodyKnighton posted today on KB :
https://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,307893.0.html
I think she charges 200$ without typography.

Best of luck!
« Last Edit: January 15, 2021, 06:32:09 AM by FridayRaccoon »

The following users thanked this post: Denise

Vidya

« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2019, 07:54:45 PM »
Thanks, everyone. Well that settles it. No way will I hire her now. I did have doubts; thanks for warning me off.

I did search stock images on various stock sites but never found what I wanted.

sounds like DeviantArt is cheaper than most professional cover designers? Yes I could post a job offer with my budget there. I was under the impression an illustrated cover would cost at least $500. like i said, i'm looking for something in the $150 to 200 range.

how can we safeguard ourselves and make very sure anyone we hire doesn't just copy others' designs?

dgcasey

• Long Novel unlocked
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2019, 01:39:33 AM »
how can we safeguard ourselves and make very sure anyone we hire doesn't just copy others' designs?

We really can't. We can only hope. Now, sometimes it will be glaringly obvious when someone has given you something that is going to be trouble. If you ask for an illustration of a space battle and they send you a picture of the Millennium Falcon duking it out with the Enterprise, you can rest assured they've stolen intellectual property. But, if I were to ask for that and they sent me an illustration of some spaceships from some game or something, like HALO or what have you, I might not recognize it as such. All we can do is the best we can to avoid thieves like that.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2019, 01:42:06 AM by dgcasey »

Denise

« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2019, 03:16:50 AM »

sounds like DeviantArt is cheaper than most professional cover designers? Yes I could post a job offer with my budget there. I was under the impression an illustrated cover would cost at least $500. like i said, i'm looking for something in the $150 to 200 range.

Yes, DeviantArt is cheaper, but remember that they are not cover designers. They'll give you just the illustration. You'll still need to design and format the cover. In some cases, they don't know anything about cover tropes or how to make an image pop in thumbnail. If you know about covers and can give them precise instructions, it could help.

Most people don't copy other people's designs or use stolen images. The two links that I sowed you are for illustrators who do often do commissions. They have distinctive styles, and if you see that their work is in that style, you know it's theirs.

Michelle Louring

• Novella unlocked
  • The owl is pure evil. Don't let him fool you.
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2019, 08:51:00 PM »
Yes, DeviantArt is cheaper, but remember that they are not cover designers. They'll give you just the illustration. You'll still need to design and format the cover. In some cases, they don't know anything about cover tropes or how to make an image pop in thumbnail. If you know about covers and can give them precise instructions, it could help.

Most people don't copy other people's designs or use stolen images. The two links that I sowed you are for illustrators who do often do commissions. They have distinctive styles, and if you see that their work is in that style, you know it's theirs.

If you get artwork made from scratch, you should get a concept sketch at some point (at least I have from all the DeviantArt artists I have worked with over the years) for approval, which goes a long, long way to prove the finished art is the artist's own work.
I have had good experiences with artists on there, but as Denise says, they're not cover designers, so it helps if you're very specific about what you want.

Crazy owl lady. I also occasionally write Fantasy books, but the owl is really all anyone cares about.

https://michellelouring.com/

GFXJames

• Blurb unlocked
  • I'm an illustrator, graphic designer, comic artist
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2019, 06:24:41 AM »
If you get artwork made from scratch, you should get a concept sketch at some point (at least I have from all the DeviantArt artists I have worked with over the years) for approval, which goes a long, long way to prove the finished art is the artist's own work.

If want an opinion from the other side (an illustrator) , I completely agree... yet though, I'm rarely (in my never book/writing related experience, probably similar to those at Deviant, though I never wanted to be a member of that site) asked for a sketch. Or at least, for that purpose of serving as a future proof. Also, as I'd have been sending so many PNGs for showing progress / requesting feedback for direction in some details, that usually the client might end up with so many internal snapshots that would be proof in any court about that author having got the original from the artist, and how is not based in anything else. Despite the healthy habit of signing both a contract in what is just image rights, etc, at the start of the project. Some of us are not too much into showing an early sketch. I sketch "functionally", not to make pretty/expressive line art. Also, they have my own "code", so, often the other person doesn't really know where I'm going (might if is also a painter) and can trash a very promising line of work. IMO the snapshots in the middle , as you draw, are more than enough. For proving someone is not using a catalog image / tracing something, or the horrid thing of copying someone else's work... all can be tricked... I have certain principles about that, and can't even feel good if not doing it all in my rigid way ( to the extent, I'd prefer to go back to code websites if having to do any tracing/copying!), but I can tell you I have seen many people tracing and then disguising it... :/  (this all speaking about full painting works. Design is a total different animal, tracing and using photo, textures, is the craft itself, is in its essence. Is all about composition, vibe, treatment, retouch...I know as I have done a ton of that, too, inside companies. Is a very different category, in my opinion. When I do that, I don't really paint, I retouch, over-paint. Is a totally different thing.  )

I have had good experiences with artists on there, but as Denise says, they're not cover designers, so it helps if you're very specific about what you want.

Certainly...I'm not versed in anything about writing self-publishing world, but neither was in board games first times (which are almost always printed, is also print related stuff, and still need also the digital output (webs, KS campaigns, videos, etc)) , but typically authors know a lot about general habits, common places, and what they are after. Often extremely better than the artist, while the professional artist/designer knows the deal in composition, color, lighting, drawing, anatomy, etc. The more you can communicate, the better (same goes with the artist). Then there's also the great association between a designer who knows deeply the field, and illustrators... Better said, LOL, I have known that well in other areas... Maybe here is a very rare case. No idea...

« Last Edit: January 09, 2019, 06:32:02 AM by GFXJames »