Author Topic: My favorite tunes for focus, productivity and isolation.  (Read 2580 times)

Dustin Porta

My favorite tunes for focus, productivity and isolation.
« on: February 22, 2019, 02:57:22 AM »
Right now I'm on the "chilled cow" channel on youtube. https://youtu.be/-FlxM_0S2lA It's a little low key, so when I'm getting sleepy I head over to  https://coffitivity.com/ or youtube some coffee ship sounds. Ironically I'm already in a coffee shop most of the time.
 :lalala
Other favorites include the portal2 soundtrack called "songs to test by" when I need a little more high energy, or the youtube channel "asmr rooms" https://youtu.be/20XE6GM7xWo if you want a simulated hogwarts library with three hours of background noises and flickering candles. 
 :dance:
On rare occasions I'll put on "binaural beats meditation" a neat little phenomenon where two complimentary tones are played, one in each ear, and your brain compensates by merging them into a single tone. https://youtu.be/tU3oAyin8W4
 :smilie_zauber:
Sometimes I'll put on international webcams. You can pull up webcams all around the world and pretend your tv is a window into an itallian piazza.
 :band:
Focus and meditation aides aside, another good trick is to listen to the same albums every time you write. Good for habit forming, because your brain becomes accustomed to writing whenever that song comes on. I have the best results with large vocabulary hook-y rap. But I'm sure you can do it with any music . Mad Conductor, Max Normal, and Wu Tang may be incredibly distracting the first ten times, but by session eleven you've heard all the lyrics, it becomes white noise, and some of the clever wordplay still finds its way into the prose. But it doesn't work at all with unfamiliar music. If I had a writing playlist, I would be very deliberate with inserting new songs into the mix and not do it when I'm up against a deadline.
 :banana:
I hope someone finds these useful. Share your tricks, I'm always looking for new ones. I've got only enough time each day to spend a few minutes lurking on the Anctum. I appreciate you all even if I'm not on here as frequently as I'd like.
Have I mentioned I edit books?
Dustin's Developmental Beta Reading

dgcasey

• Long Novel unlocked
  • Take my memories. I hope you got a big appetite.
Re: My favorite tunes for focus, productivity and isolation.
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2019, 05:02:17 AM »
If I'm writing a battle scene I like these long play battle music videos.
https://youtu.be/IfTuvH8j8mo

For ordinary writing, where I just want some background music, low-key instrumental.
https://youtu.be/Qdz55niWJ5A

For horror scenes I'll pull up something like this.
https://youtu.be/mqkYnIwgxzw

My Music For Writing watchlist has over 100 videos saved to it and I'm always adding to it.
I will not forget one line of this, not one day. I will always remember when the Doctor was me.
"The Tales of Garlan" title="The Tales of Garlan"
"Into The Wishing Well" title="Into The Wishing Well"
Dave's Amazon Author page | DGlennCasey.com | TheDailyPainter.com
I'm the Doctor by the way, what's your name? Rose. Nice to meet you, Rose. Run for your life!

Alexa

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2019, 07:29:19 PM »
I tried it all, from video game soundtracks to piano classics, but nothing helps me focus FAST like nature sounds. Rain, most of all. I have an app that allows to mix different sounds (rain, thunder, fire, wind, etc.), and the white noise just blocks everything out. Perfect if you have to work in a noisy place.

crow.bar.beer

• Tag Line unlocked
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2019, 11:42:20 PM »

Alexa

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2019, 12:44:01 AM »
Morrowind soundtrack FTW.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xULTMMgwLuo

Hell yeah, TES soundtracks are the best. I've got an hour-long compilation from youtube that puts me in the same focused mood as gaming. But for drawing, not writing.

VanessaC

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2019, 04:07:38 AM »
Inspired by this thread, I went looking for coffee shop background noise on YouTube, as I find being in a busy environment like that can help me focus.  Got way too distracted by the comments under the video - apparently it was possible to make out individual conversations, and someone called Kevin had really annoyed one commentator.  Sadly, I had work to do so couldn't listen through to learn more.

I live in Scotland, so the sound of rain is very familiar and not really soothing (at least to me).

However, there are some great tracks of forest rivers with or without birdsong that can help.

When I'm writing, though, and want to focus, I need headphones and something really, really familiar to listen to. I've got a Dougie McLean album on repeat at the moment, but I also found the Lord of the Rings soundtrack to be great mood music.  :icon_mrgreen:

Genre: Fantasy

Dustin Porta

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2019, 04:15:49 AM »
Got way too distracted by the comments under the video - apparently it was possible to make out individual conversations, and someone called Kevin had really annoyed one commentator.  Sadly, I had work to do so couldn't listen through to learn more.

Haha yes, I've been on that page. For me the best coffee shop sounds are the artificial/produced versions, because all real coffee shops have very loud blenders and espresso machine that grate the nerves a bit.

One other technique, which I had forgotten. Sometimes I just put my headphones in with no music. Takes the volume down and discourages idle chatter.

Alexa

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2019, 05:22:08 AM »
Inspired by this thread, I went looking for coffee shop background noise on YouTube, as I find being in a busy environment like that can help me focus.  Got way too distracted by the comments under the video - apparently it was possible to make out individual conversations, and someone called Kevin had really annoyed one commentator.  Sadly, I had work to do so couldn't listen through to learn more.

I live in Scotland, so the sound of rain is very familiar and not really soothing (at least to me).

However, there are some great tracks of forest rivers with or without birdsong that can help.

When I'm writing, though, and want to focus, I need headphones and something really, really familiar to listen to. I've got a Dougie McLean album on repeat at the moment, but I also found the Lord of the Rings soundtrack to be great mood music.  :icon_mrgreen:

Try noisli - they have the same thing, a mix and match of sounds, but include coffee shop sounds and such.

The following users thanked this post: VanessaC, Dustin Porta

dgcasey

• Long Novel unlocked
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2019, 02:01:07 PM »
When I'm writing, though, and want to focus, I need headphones and something really, really familiar to listen to.

I'm going to pick up a good set of over-the-ear headphones this week sometime. I'm using some on-the-ear phones right now and they just don't shut out enough distractions. When I wear them I find I can write 2000 words without even blinking, so I'm hoping to up that number with the cupped phones.
I will not forget one line of this, not one day. I will always remember when the Doctor was me.
I'm the Doctor by the way, what's your name? Rose. Nice to meet you, Rose. Run for your life!

VanessaC

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2019, 12:20:44 AM »
Got way too distracted by the comments under the video - apparently it was possible to make out individual conversations, and someone called Kevin had really annoyed one commentator.  Sadly, I had work to do so couldn't listen through to learn more.

Haha yes, I've been on that page. For me the best coffee shop sounds are the artificial/produced versions, because all real coffee shops have very loud blenders and espresso machine that grate the nerves a bit.

One other technique, which I had forgotten. Sometimes I just put my headphones in with no music. Takes the volume down and discourages idle chatter.

I've just discovered "Coffitivity" which seems to be working for me right now in my day job. 

And, thanks to this thread, I have a lot of other things to try. 

:cheers

Genre: Fantasy

Lorri Moulton

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2019, 06:57:29 AM »
Pretty much works for everything.  :catrun

Author of Romance, Fantasy, Fairytales, Mystery & Suspense, and Historical Non-Fiction @ Lavender Cottage Books

PJ Post

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2019, 08:08:04 AM »
+1 on the lo-fi stuff. I've become a big trip hop fan over the last few years. I remember it from my club days, but appreciate it differently now.

bookworm

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2019, 01:27:10 AM »

Dustin Porta

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2019, 01:39:38 AM »
Listening to music significantly impairs creativity
https://medicalxpress.com/news/2019-02-music-significantly-impairs-creativity.html?
I read the paper.

A median N of 30 is good enough, but it's hardly definitive.

And I'm pretty sure the "2013 neo soul" song for test 3 was Pharrell Williams Happy, which would severely impair just about anybody's intelligence. Especially if said music only played in 30 second loops while you took a 30 minute test. That's testing the effects of interruption rather than immersion.

To me it would be more interesting to see a study that uses a song from the participant's own study rotation. On the one hand you'd lose your control variable. On the other hand, the depth of the participant's familiarity with the song is a variable that the study didn't account for. I need about ten minutes of listening before the music fades into the background, and even that only works if I'm listening regularly and the song has been in rotation for a week or more.

See the trick is that your brain has to actively shut out the music when you're in the zone. By feeding it consistent and predictable sound patterns you're ruling out unpredictable distractions like outside noise and errant thoughts. When you're actively engaged in working you will shut out these distractions anyway, but the familiar music encourages your brain to shut it out quicker and to stay in longer. And their tests have nothing to do with getting in the zone.

Also, if you read about the difference between RATS and CRATS testing, it's pretty clear that they chose the latter because it takes creative inspiration out of the equation and focuses exclusively on creative problem solving. So their conclusions don't prove that music impairs inspiration.

That being said, good and interesting work they've done. I don't disagree with their conclusions about CRATS and creative problem solving. I've never edited to music. I didn't need some psychologist in Lancashire to tell me that I'm not problem solving at 100% efficiency when I've got tunes on. But if would be interesting to see further studies on whether my "in the zone music" has a negative effect on verbal working memory.

The science is real...but the news is dubious.

dgcasey

• Long Novel unlocked
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2019, 05:07:45 AM »
And I'm pretty sure the "2013 neo soul" song for test 3 was Pharrell Williams Happy, which would severely impair just about anybody's intelligence.

I take exception to that statement. The chorus to that song has been the ringtone for my phone for about three years now.   Grin

Dustin Porta

« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2019, 05:39:13 AM »
And I'm pretty sure the "2013 neo soul" song for test 3 was Pharrell Williams Happy, which would severely impair just about anybody's intelligence.

I take exception to that statement. The chorus to that song has been the ringtone for my phone for about three years now.   Grin

And now it's in my head... :banana: :HB :banana: