Author Topic: Ellipses  (Read 4936 times)

Doglover

Ellipses
« on: November 08, 2018, 08:29:48 PM »
Can someone confirm that an ellipse or ellipses is three dots ...

A friend has had her AMS ad rejected for having too many ellipses, but there aren't any at all!

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
  • Earth Galaxy core, 2618
    • The Hunter Imperium Universe
Re: Ellipses
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2018, 08:46:37 PM »
That's my understanding, but it might help if we could see the ad. It might be something obvious, which is being given the wrong name by a bot.
Genres: Space Opera/Fantasy/Cyberpunk, with elements of LitRPG and GameLit, with a touch of the Supernatural. Also Spiritual and Games.

Timothy Ellis Kindle Author page. | Join the Hunter Legacy mailing list | The Hunter Imperium Universe on Facebook. | Forum Promo Page.

notthatamanda

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2018, 09:20:47 PM »
I had an ad rejected.  The email they sent me said that it could have no more than three ellipses, and I had one, which was three periods (...)
I took it out and the ad went through just fine.  Haven't sold anything with it since it was accepted, but it went through.
But if the ad has none...I don't know.  Sounds like the ellipse bot is bad.  I would email amazon advertising and ask for a clarification.

Doglover

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2018, 09:30:54 PM »
I had an ad rejected.  The email they sent me said that it could have no more than three ellipses, and I had one, which was three periods (...)
I took it out and the ad went through just fine.  Haven't sold anything with it since it was accepted, but it went through.
But if the ad has none...I don't know.  Sounds like the ellipse bot is bad.  I would email amazon advertising and ask for a clarification.
Thanks. Sounds like they think an ellipse is only one dot! As I said, it's my friend's ad but I set it up for her from her computer and I'm pretty sure we didn't have any. I can't do anything till I speak to her later.

I like to do things for her books from her pc, so that Amazon don't get the idea there's something dodgy going on!

LilyBLily

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2018, 10:08:06 PM »
I've had an ad rejected for having two hyphens together instead of an em dash. The Zon bots are touchy.

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2018, 10:14:29 PM »
something dodgy going on!

The only thing dodgy about you is that avatar pic.

I've had an ad rejected for having two hyphens together instead of an em dash. The Zon bots are touchy.

I think they did me for 1 hyphen.
Genres: Space Opera/Fantasy/Cyberpunk, with elements of LitRPG and GameLit, with a touch of the Supernatural. Also Spiritual and Games.

Timothy Ellis Kindle Author page. | Join the Hunter Legacy mailing list | The Hunter Imperium Universe on Facebook. | Forum Promo Page.

Doglover

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2018, 10:21:00 PM »
something dodgy going on!

The only thing dodgy about you is that avatar pic.

What is wrong with my avatar picture?  :dog1:

notthatamanda

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2018, 10:24:07 PM »
I think he meant doggy, not dodgy.  :banana:

Doglover

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2018, 10:41:15 PM »

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2018, 10:53:32 PM »

A giant bear trying to eat you?  :icon_think:

And more to the point, you survived!  grint

Doglover

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2018, 11:19:10 PM »

A giant bear trying to eat you?  :icon_think:

And more to the point, you survived!  grint
Nobody gives kisses like a Newfie!  :dog1:

notthatamanda

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2018, 11:31:27 PM »
Growing up we had a Newfie in my neighborhood that was brown and named Bear.
The kids who owned him used to ride him in the park.

Doglover

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2018, 11:41:16 PM »
Growing up we had a Newfie in my neighborhood that was brown and named Bear.
The kids who owned him used to ride him in the park.
I've heard all the 'original' remarks when out with my baby bears. 'you could ride them home' 'you could put a saddle on them' 'you must have a big house' - no I just don't have any furniture.

When I used to walk with my friend who also had two, someone was overheard telling his wife that he'd just seen a heard of buffalo.

The funniest was when Ferdie was two and half and Joshua was about six months. Someone asked me: 'what breed is Ferdie?' Newfoundland, I said. 'What breed is Joshua?' Newfoundland. 'Then why is Joshua so much smaller than Ferdie?' Because he's only six months old!  :icon_lol2:

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2018, 01:51:01 AM »
Could it be that the bot is looking for the ellipsis character (…) rather than three dots (...)?

I always used to do them as ... but my editor said the right way is . . . but then the ellipsis character on a keyboard is … so who wins?  I don't know, but I hope the fights don't get as bad as the ones over the Oxford comma.
Mulder: "If you're distracted by fear of those around you, it keeps you from seeing the actions of those above."
The X-Files: "Blood"

dgcasey

• Long Novel unlocked
  • Take my memories. I hope you got a big appetite.
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2018, 04:55:43 PM »
I always used to do them as ... but my editor said the right way is . . . but then the ellipsis character on a keyboard is … so who wins?  I don't know, but I hope the fights don't get as bad as the ones over the Oxford comma.

Ellipsis character on a keyboard? I didn't know there was any such thing. I've always used three dots and I doubt any readers have noticed the difference. Anyway, I don't see any ellipsis key on my keyboard.
I will not forget one line of this, not one day. I will always remember when the Doctor was me.
"The Tales of Garlan" title="The Tales of Garlan"
"Into The Wishing Well" title="Into The Wishing Well"
Dave's Amazon Author page | DGlennCasey.com | TheDailyPainter.com
I'm the Doctor by the way, what's your name? Rose. Nice to meet you, Rose. Run for your life!

dgcasey

• Long Novel unlocked
  • Take my memories. I hope you got a big appetite.
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2018, 05:00:48 PM »

I like big dogs and all, but no thanks. It would cost me more to feed it than myself.   :help
I will not forget one line of this, not one day. I will always remember when the Doctor was me.
"The Tales of Garlan" title="The Tales of Garlan"
"Into The Wishing Well" title="Into The Wishing Well"
Dave's Amazon Author page | DGlennCasey.com | TheDailyPainter.com
I'm the Doctor by the way, what's your name? Rose. Nice to meet you, Rose. Run for your life!

Doglover

« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2018, 06:56:33 PM »

Ellipsis character on a keyboard? I didn't know there was any such thing. I've always used three dots and I doubt any readers have noticed the difference. Anyway, I don't see any ellipsis key on my keyboard.
I don't have one on my keyboard either.

Doglover

« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2018, 07:00:01 PM »

I like big dogs and all, but no thanks. It would cost me more to feed it than myself.   :help
Actually, they don't cost any more to feed than any other big dog. My retriever was a pig - if I kept feeding him, he'd keep eating. My Newfies were never like that; they'd only eat what they needed. Joshua was a grazer; he'd nibble then come back for more later. Luckily, Ferdie would never take his food, only ever his own. I miss them terribly.

Now, to get back to ellipses, which before I found forums I thought was when the moon passed in front of the sun, the only thing that could possible be construed as such was that I mistakenly put two full stops (that's periods to my American friends) instead of one. And it's right at the end, so shouldn't make any different anyway.

We've removed one and uploaded again, so we'll see.  :clap:

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2018, 02:35:24 AM »
Ellipsis character on a keyboard?

On a Mac, it's the Option key plus the semicolon key.

On Windows, it's apparently the Alt key plus 0133 on the number pad.  Some Microsoft applications, such as Word, will apparently also accept Control plus Alt plus the period key.
Mulder: "If you're distracted by fear of those around you, it keeps you from seeing the actions of those above."
The X-Files: "Blood"

Doglover

« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2018, 06:41:34 PM »
Ellipsis character on a keyboard?

On a Mac, it's the Option key plus the semicolon key.

On Windows, it's apparently the Alt key plus 0133 on the number pad.  Some Microsoft applications, such as Word, will apparently also accept Control plus Alt plus the period key.
By the time I've found all those, I'd be quicker to type my three dots.  :roll:

Anyway, Amazon at first said they only allowed three ellipses, one of which was at the end. This mistaken full stop was at the end, so if they thought it was an ellipsis, it was in the right place.

All good now and thanks everyone for comments.  :Tup2:

She-la-te-da

« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2018, 08:05:42 PM »
The ad bots are weird. They don't seem to like anything but basic punctuation, which apparently is a full stop (period) and possibly the occasional question mark. The bots do seem to have frequent nervous breakdowns, too.

I'm pretty sure the ellisis is one of the characters you can use with Insert>Symbol, but I just do three dots together (as we were taught in typewriting class, soon after they dropped the chiseling in stone classes).
I write various flavors of speculative fiction. This is my main pen name.