Author Topic: Computer Security  (Read 2225 times)

Shoe

Computer Security
« on: March 10, 2019, 04:27:30 AM »
What do you all use? Up till now I've depended on the Avast free version and whatever comes with Windows 10. I got a ransom email yesterday and though I think it's a bluff, I want to step up my game.
Martin Luther King: "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity."

dgcasey

• Long Novel unlocked
  • Take my memories. I hope you got a big appetite.
Re: Computer Security
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2019, 04:33:03 AM »
I'm using McAfee, but it comes free with my Cox account. If I had to pay for something, I'd probably use one of the big names in security, though I wouldn't, under any circumstances use Kaspersky. Not sure why, but I don't really trust a security company that's based in Russia.
I will not forget one line of this, not one day. I will always remember when the Doctor was me.
"The Tales of Garlan" title="The Tales of Garlan"
"Into The Wishing Well" title="Into The Wishing Well"
Dave's Amazon Author page | DGlennCasey.com | TheDailyPainter.com
I'm the Doctor by the way, what's your name? Rose. Nice to meet you, Rose. Run for your life!

The following users thanked this post: Shoe

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
  • Earth Galaxy core, 2618
    • The Hunter Imperium Universe
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2019, 11:22:49 AM »
I got a ransom email yesterday and though I think it's a bluff, I want to step up my game.

If it's the usual one wanting bitcoin and telling you they recorded your computer's cam, its rubbish. They have no way of knowing if you even saw the email. It's pure bluff. I get them 3-4 times a week.

Have a good laugh, and hit the junk key. The better mail programs will learn to junk them.

I've been using mine since the day I determined Norton's was a worse virus than any virus. (Back then it was impossible to remove Norton completely.) Never had any problems with it, and it always tells me when I just clicked on something stupid.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2019, 11:25:05 AM by TimothyEllis »
Genres: Space Opera/Fantasy/Cyberpunk, with elements of LitRPG and GameLit, with a touch of the Supernatural. Also Spiritual and Games.

Timothy Ellis Kindle Author page. | Join the Hunter Legacy mailing list | The Hunter Imperium Universe on Facebook. | Forum Promo Page.

Shoe

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2019, 03:58:48 AM »

I've been using mine since the day I determined Norton's was a worse virus than any virus.

Is "mine" Avast? Or are you referring to your mail service?
Martin Luther King: "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity."

LilyBLily

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2019, 04:18:36 AM »
I have Avast! on one computer but it keeps insisting on putting a shortcut icon on my desktop. No matter how many times I remove it, it keeps coming back. That alone is almost enough for me to remove Avast! from my computer entirely, but I'm just too lazy.

On the other computer I already have a live virus that won't let me install new programs or updates. A friend was going to wipe the computer for me but so far it has been a year. Another case of apathy. No, a double case.

I have really good security on my website thanks to my webmistress. I had to loosen the security on my email server because it was constantly bouncing emails from relatives and friends. Now I get more scam emails. They amuse me. 

Shoe

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2019, 05:39:17 AM »

On the other computer I already have a live virus that won't let me install new programs or updates. A friend was going to wipe the computer for me but so far it has been a year. Another case of apathy. No, a double case.

Tech days are the worst but nothing like they used to be (getting a wireless router to work twenty-years ago was a nightmare). I had a hard drive replaced last November--took two hours in the shop, labor and parts $150. I'm having Windows 10 wiped and reinstalled on another computer this week (got funky after an update). Quote cost: $32.

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
  • Earth Galaxy core, 2618
    • The Hunter Imperium Universe
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2019, 11:20:54 AM »
I've been using mine since the day I determined Norton's was a worse virus than any virus.
Is "mine" Avast? Or are you referring to your mail service?

No. I used it on a relative's computer for a few years, but only because the person wasn't a surfer online, and I'd run out of licenses. Its ok for someone who doesn't click things they shouldn't, and doesn't visit suss sites.
Genres: Space Opera/Fantasy/Cyberpunk, with elements of LitRPG and GameLit, with a touch of the Supernatural. Also Spiritual and Games.

Timothy Ellis Kindle Author page. | Join the Hunter Legacy mailing list | The Hunter Imperium Universe on Facebook. | Forum Promo Page.

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2019, 02:39:20 AM »
I got a ransom email yesterday and though I think it's a bluff, I want to step up my game.

If it's the usual one wanting bitcoin and telling you they recorded your computer's cam, its rubbish. They have no way of knowing if you even saw the email. It's pure bluff. I get them 3-4 times a week.

The caveat is if they reveal a password, be sure to change that password where ever you use it, because that password was compromised somewhere.  (That's also a good reason for using a different password on every site you use.)

But most don't bother revealing a password anymore, usually because they don't actually have it.  They just sort of hope you do do embarrassing things in front of your webcam.

I'm getting those messages daily now, across multiple eMail addresses.
Mulder: "If you're distracted by fear of those around you, it keeps you from seeing the actions of those above."
The X-Files: "Blood"