Author Topic: What would you stock up on for an Apocalypse?  (Read 18992 times)

Kay Inglis

What would you stock up on for an Apocalypse?
« on: October 24, 2018, 07:54:13 PM »
Don't panic! I'm not predicting an apocalypse, and certainly not wishing for one. In fact I haven't see someone carrying a "The End is Nigh!" placard for a long time. But I am a bit of a prepper at heart.

However, rather than just food, I'll be stocking up on some other essentials - paperbacks, for example. And knitting wool!

What would be in your bunker?

Writer of Cosy Apocalypse Tales

Jo

Re: What would you stock up on for an Apocalypse?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2018, 08:26:16 PM »
Food for myself and the fur babies. Water. Medicines I regularly take and those which would be useful. The typical prepper stuff.
Jo

The following users thanked this post: Kay Inglis

Michelle Louring

• Novella unlocked
  • The owl is pure evil. Don't let him fool you.
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2018, 08:35:17 PM »
Are we talking total anarchy, zombies or something along those lines?

Because you never knew when you might need a selection of iron pipes.

Crazy owl lady. I also occasionally write Fantasy books, but the owl is really all anyone cares about.

https://michellelouring.com/

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
  • Earth Galaxy core, 2618
    • The Hunter Imperium Universe
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2018, 09:24:33 PM »
Hasn't anyone been watching Supernatural?

Number 1 absolute stock up on item - Toilet paper.
Genres: Space Opera/Fantasy/Cyberpunk, with elements of LitRPG and GameLit, with a touch of the Supernatural. Also Spiritual and Games.

Timothy Ellis Kindle Author page. | Join the Hunter Legacy mailing list | The Hunter Imperium Universe on Facebook. | Forum Promo Page.

Jo

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2018, 09:35:43 PM »

:roll:
Jo

cecilia_writer

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2018, 09:39:01 PM »
I've started stockpiling ahead of Brexit. My stash is mostly tinned food (and cat food) at present but when it gets nearer the time I will get some long-life milk and put some bread in the freezer. I'm also debating with myself whether to buy a new camping cooker and battery lights in case of power cuts. For various reasons it is difficult to stockpile medication here, so I am just keeping back a few spare inhalers for my asthma, on the grounds that I would prefer not to die of that if I can avoid it.
I would not normally do anything like this, but our government has shown itself to be so totally incompetent that I have no faith in their ability to maintain food supplies.
Cecilia Peartree - Woman of Mystery

The following users thanked this post: Jo, Kay Inglis

Vinjii

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2018, 09:50:11 PM »
I've started stockpiling ahead of Brexit. My stash is mostly tinned food (and cat food) at present but when it gets nearer the time I will get some long-life milk and put some bread in the freezer. I'm also debating with myself whether to buy a new camping cooker and battery lights in case of power cuts. For various reasons it is difficult to stockpile medication here, so I am just keeping back a few spare inhalers for my asthma, on the grounds that I would prefer not to die of that if I can avoid it.
I would not normally do anything like this, but our government has shown itself to be so totally incompetent that I have no faith in their ability to maintain food supplies.

See, I read things like this and part of me says: no way it's going to be that bad, and the other part says: better make sure you got plenty baked beans in your cupboard.

Apocalypse: medication, tinned food, non-perishable food, bottled water, matches, rope, pocket knife, heater (in case we still got electricity) and anything necessary to dress a wound. Solar charger. And tons of books so I won't get bored.

Anarchist

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2018, 10:55:18 PM »
Ammo.
"The first lesson of economics is scarcity: there is never enough of anything to fully satisfy all those who want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics.” – Thomas Sowell

"The State is an institution run by gangs of murderers, plunderers and thieves, surrounded by willing executioners, propagandists, sycophants, crooks, liars, clowns, charlatans, dupes and useful idiots—an institution that dirties and taints everything it touches.” - Hans Hoppe

"Virtue is more to be feared than vice, because its excesses are not subject to the regulation of conscience." - Adam Smith

Nothing that requires the labor of others is a basic human right.

I keep a stiff upper lip and shoot from the hip. - AC/DC

The following users thanked this post: DrewMcGunn, LilyBLily, Kay Inglis

Mark Gardner

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2018, 10:58:03 PM »
Chocolate. It'll be the new money in a post Apocalypse world.

DrewMcGunn

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2018, 11:04:34 PM »
Ammo.
This.

The versatile currency of the post apocalyptic world. Better than gold, even. I'll barter a couple of .45 rounds for that can of baked beans.
What? you want my baked beans? Here, you can have the .45 round... at 800 fps. :icon_rolleyes:

Drew McGunn

The following users thanked this post: Anarchist, Kay Inglis

Maggie Ann

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2018, 11:14:50 PM »

No, I don't watch Supernatural, but toilet paper would be high on my list.

Living in FL (Hurricane Alley), I always have bread, crackers, peanut butter, water, canned goods, a manual can opener, batteries, candles, matches, lanterns, propane, paper goods, plasticware, etc., on hand. And I used to have a battery charger for my original Kindle. Don't forget the bleach because if all you have is canal water, you'll need to purify it.

Just look at what Michael did upstate from me. Or Andrew, or any other major hurricane. That may not be a world wide apocalypse, but it's close enough for those living through the aftermath.

Jo

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2018, 11:47:21 PM »
Okay. I give. Why toilet paper?
Jo

Maggie Ann

« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2018, 01:17:47 AM »

Security.

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2018, 01:27:22 AM »
Spices.  People always forget spices.  Sure, you can survive without seasoning but your food may be bland and tasteless.

Don't forget general use medications like aspirin.  Lip balm might also be good.  Lotions too.  Just because it's the apocalypse doesn't mean you need to have dry, flaky elbows.  Mouthwash and toothpaste.  Or, in lieu of toothpaste, stock baking soda which can be used as toothpaste plus other uses.  Also, a toothbrush.  Preferably more than one.  Antacid.  Potassium iodide tablets, just in case.  Shampoo and soap.

A sewing kit.  Scissors.

Copies of important papers.

Bleach, vinegar, rubbing alcohol and witch hazel are also good to have on hand.  Also, baby powder, borax, calamine lotion, epsom salt, hydrogen peroxide and vaseline.

Try to get tools that serve multiple purposes too.  As an example, I have long carried in my pocket a manual can opener that also works as a flat-head screwdriver.  Multipurpose tools can be great space savers, but you also want functional tools so you need to be careful.  Just because something has all the bells and whistles doesn't mean it's going to be practical.  I have a pocket tool that has a screwdriver which is good for occasional use, but it's not as easy or fast to use as a normal screwdriver.  So for tools you know or suspect you may be using a lot, you'll probably be better off with the actual tool rather than a multi-tool in those cases.  Locks might also be handy especially for situations where you might need to be more mobile and will need to secure things overnight or if away.  Likewise, have bags on hand in case you need to be mobile.  A backpack.  Ziploc bags and garbage bags too.  A 5-gallon bucket or two or three which can double as storage (get removable lids).

Don't forget food, medicines and treats for pets.  A leash can be handy too.

Don't forget cleaners and wipes for glasses or any medical devices you require.

Baby blankets (even if you don't have a baby) and regular blankets are good to have as well as an emergency blanket.  Also a tarp.  Strong rope.  Compass, mirror, whistle.  Tweezers, nail clippers, nail file.  Duct tape.  A folding shovel, hand-held chain saw and an axe.  A hack saw.  Hammer, screwdrivers, wrenches, pliers.  Glass breaking tool.  Clips, rubber bands, string.  Tape measure.

Towels.

A lighter.  Water-proof matches.

Toys for kids.  Sporting goods for all ages.  Playing cards and board games.  A small chalkboard for Tic Tac Toe or other games.  Dice.  Chalk, crayons, paper.

A permanent marker.  Wax marker.  Pencils, pens.

Perfumes and colognes.  Mints and breath spray.  Just because it's the apocalypse doesn't mean you won't meet someone.

Others have covered food, but be sure you also have utensils.  Toothpicks might also be a good idea.  Cooking gear.  A collapsible cup.  Plates or eating tray.  A portable sink.  Dish soap.  Sponge.

A solar charger is good as are rechargeable batteries.  Might be useful to consider other power alternatives as well, such as batteries that run on salt water.

Self-defense items, like guns (and ammo) or knives.  A big stick which can also double as a walking stick or cane.

Also, something to serve as money.  In some situations, cash will do.  In others, you may want silver and gold coins, ammo, extra tools and goods for trade, leather goods, cigarettes, etc.

:shocked:
Mulder: "If you're distracted by fear of those around you, it keeps you from seeing the actions of those above."
The X-Files: "Blood"

The following users thanked this post: Leo, Mark Gardner, Kay Inglis

Jo

Jo

Maggie Ann

« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2018, 01:35:28 AM »
Security.

Huh?

Don't tell me you've never been caught without TP at a critical time.

Dan, important papers should be in your "grab and go" box. I keep forgetting to set mine up. I've got everything in my safe deposit box but that might be inaccessible.

The following users thanked this post: Jo, Kay Inglis

Jo

« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2018, 01:54:24 AM »

Sure. I traveled whole countries which do not have and use toilet paper.  :banana-riding-llama-smiley-em

Alternatives are leaves, ripped newspaper sheets, sand, moss, the left hand and water. All of this works at least as well as toilet paper, if not better.
Jo

Eric Thomson

« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2018, 01:57:51 AM »
At my age, the idea of struggling through a post-apocalyptic world holds no appeal whatsoever.  Therefore, I would stock up on El Dorado rum, plenty of high quality marijuana (it's legal in Canada now!), and have one last whoop-up before taking a whole crapload of my third item - sleeping pills.

The following users thanked this post: Michelle Louring, Kay Inglis

Maggie Ann

« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2018, 02:52:30 AM »

Sure. I traveled whole countries which do not have and use toilet paper.  :banana-riding-llama-smiley-em

Alternatives are leaves, ripped newspaper sheets, sand, moss, the left hand and water. All of this works at least as well as toilet paper, if not better.

Then you're all set.

Kay Inglis

« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2018, 02:57:31 AM »
Wow! I go out to do a bit of (non-prepper) shopping and get lots of interesting replies!
Give me a bit of time and I will reply to you all.
Big up-tick to this forum for having such responsive and interesting members.

Tom Wood

« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2018, 03:01:57 AM »
A copy of this book:

The following users thanked this post: MelanieMRodriguez

Kay Inglis

« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2018, 03:03:15 AM »
Food for myself and the fur babies. Water. Medicines I regularly take and those which would be useful. The typical prepper stuff.

Yep - all good sense.

Count me in with those who would prefer at least a bit of toilet paper, but I will take your tips about the leaves and moss if stocks run out.

Sand sounds a bit too exfoliating to me - but if needs must...

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2018, 03:09:22 AM »
I would have added a microfiche machine to the mix but there aren't many options these days for creating microfiche films to be read by the machine.

The advantage is that a lot of information (and reading material) can be stored in a small amount of space using microfiche.  The film may last longer than digital storage and the power requirements for the reader are minimal.  You might be able to rig up something with candles or sunlight and mirrors in a worst case scenario.  Plus, no danger of losing all your data due to an EMP.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2018, 03:13:45 AM by Undead Dan »
Mulder: "If you're distracted by fear of those around you, it keeps you from seeing the actions of those above."

The following users thanked this post: Mark Gardner

Kay Inglis

« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2018, 03:09:40 AM »
Are we talking total anarchy, zombies or something along those lines?

Because you never knew when you might need a selection of iron pipes.

All types of possible apocalypse - from economic breakdown and ensuing anarchy, pandemic, nuclear - even the Brexit-version mentioned above.

And of course zombies or zombie dogs (or zombie rats, come to that).

So, yes the iron pipes are sound.

Do they work on zombies, though?

Kay Inglis

« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2018, 03:12:38 AM »

Definitely.

And even more so now I know that I might otherwise end up using sand. :eek:

Kay Inglis

« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2018, 03:19:32 AM »

Yes, well that was pretty much the starting point of my Diary!

But it is a work of fiction, and I hope it doesn't turn out to be prophetic.

As a prepper I am automatically Brexit-disaster prepped, although in reality I expect minor chaos and political shambles rather than full-scale apocalypse!

Kay Inglis

« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2018, 03:26:29 AM »

See, I read things like this and part of me says: no way it's going to be that bad, and the other part says: better make sure you got plenty baked beans in your cupboard.

Apocalypse: medication, tinned food, non-perishable food, bottled water, matches, rope, pocket knife, heater (in case we still got electricity) and anything necessary to dress a wound. Solar charger. And tons of books so I won't get bored.

All good things to have.

Solar charger is a very good idea. I have an eReader which I always solar power anyway because I don't have the right plug for it (although I can charge it from my computer in non-powercut conditions).

Kay Inglis

« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2018, 03:30:39 AM »
Ammo.

Much trickier if you live in the UK.

We have to settle for catapults and lots of marbles, or the above mentioned iron pipes.

Kay Inglis

« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2018, 03:33:52 AM »
Chocolate. It'll be the new money in a post Apocalypse world.

Sound thinking.

Chocolate is always good and certainly more edible than plastic payment cards, virtual money, paper money, or even lumps of gold.

Kay Inglis

« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2018, 03:39:47 AM »
Ammo.
This.

The versatile currency of the post apocalyptic world. Better than gold, even. I'll barter a couple of .45 rounds for that can of baked beans.
What? you want my baked beans? Here, you can have the .45 round... at 800 fps. :icon_rolleyes:

I'm assuming the ammo-stockers are in the US?

There will be people here in the UK with guns and ammo in an apocalypse scenario - if anyone in the army survives, some farmers with shotguns, and some sportsmen.

I guess they will have an advantage.

Most of us will be improvising with homemade bows and arrows!

Kay Inglis

« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2018, 03:49:19 AM »
Spices.  People always forget spices.  Sure, you can survive without seasoning but your food may be bland and tasteless.

Wow! Your list is so comprehensive it's practically a handbook for the apocalypse!

Seasoning is good. Assuming it's not a bunker scenario, I have plenty of herbs growing in pots both on widow sills and outside.

I'm relying on my mint - which grows like a weed - for mint tea when all other options are exhausted.

The multi-tool with can opener is a very good idea. I can just imagine being in the bunker stocked up with tinned food only to realise no one thought to pack a can opener!

Kay Inglis

« Reply #31 on: October 25, 2018, 03:58:27 AM »
At my age, the idea of struggling through a post-apocalyptic world holds no appeal whatsoever.  Therefore, I would stock up on El Dorado rum, plenty of high quality marijuana (it's legal in Canada now!), and have one last whoop-up before taking a whole crapload of my third item - sleeping pills.

Of course you are right - a real post-apocalypse scenario is likely to be horrific in all sorts of ways.

But I've already noticed that in emergency situations people can respond in different ways and surprise even themselves.

Those you thought of as pretty calm and reliable go to pieces, whilst someone you thought of as flaky turns out to be a tower of strength.

Survival instinct either kicks in or it doesn't, and we probably don't know exactly how we will respond until the time comes.

Edward M. Grant

« Reply #32 on: October 25, 2018, 04:01:14 AM »
There will be people here in the UK with guns and ammo in an apocalypse scenario - if anyone in the army survives, some farmers with shotguns, and some sportsmen.

I don't know whether it's still the case, but when I was a kid , the UK was one of the world centres for the arms trade, and you'd see some very interesting things for sale in the gun dealer ads. Like machineguns, RPGs, mortars, and all kinds of other hardware that you could use to entertain yourself for hours in the post-apocalyptic world.

Obviously few people in the UK had a license allowing them to buy that stuff, but we weren't the ones the ads were aimed at.

Either way, my plan for the zombie apocalypse was to head for the nearest store advertising those things for sale, and see what I could find.

Kay Inglis

« Reply #33 on: October 25, 2018, 04:01:53 AM »
A copy of this book:

Will have to go and google that!

Edward M. Grant

« Reply #34 on: October 25, 2018, 04:11:31 AM »
So, yes the iron pipes are sound.

Do they work on zombies, though?

In the computer games I've played, they typically break after hitting a zombie three times.

Though quite how an iron pipe breaks from hitting something is unclear to me.

To be honest, I'd be less concerned about stocking up and more concerned about not being within a hundred miles of a city. It doesn't much matter if you stock up on food, ammo and toilet paper when hundreds of desperate neighbours smash in your door and steal it.

Or, at worst, being the people in the neighbourhood who seem completely normal, but have all that in their basement and hide out as soon as the apocalypse begins so the neighbours have no reason to rob them.

Plus I'm surprised at so little mention of books. There's a ton of useful stuff that you wouldn't want to have to figure out for yourself when the zombies are on the march.

Kay Inglis

« Reply #35 on: October 25, 2018, 04:11:42 AM »

I don't know whether it's still the case, but when I was a kid , the UK was one of the world centres for the arms trade, and you'd see some very interesting things for sale in the gun dealer ads. Like machineguns, RPGs, mortars, and all kinds of other hardware that you could use to entertain yourself for hours in the post-apocalyptic world.

Obviously few people in the UK had a license allowing them to buy that stuff, but we weren't the ones the ads were aimed at.

Either way, my plan for the zombie apocalypse was to head for the nearest store advertising those things for sale, and see what I could find.

Honestly, I wouldn't know where to go to find a shop that sold guns.

Certainly there have been loopholes in UK law, so that you can buy antique weapons that are still perfectly serviceable - so you could probably pick up a musket and no one would ask too many questions.

For a while older people kept a revolver left over from the war and that was OK.

But I think laws are being tightened up. Although there are obviously places where those with a license can buy a gun. But I think it would be hard to stockpile ammunition.

The anomaly is that you can buy a crossbow and bolts and that is perfectly legal, although pretty lethal too.

Kay Inglis

« Reply #36 on: October 25, 2018, 04:22:59 AM »

In the computer games I've played, they typically break after hitting a zombie three times.

To be honest, I'd be less concerned about stocking up and more concerned about not being within a hundred miles of a city. It doesn't much matter if you stock up on food, ammo and toilet paper when hundreds of desperate neighbours smash in your door and steal it.

Or, at worst, being the people in the neighbourhood who seem completely normal, but have all that in their basement and hide out as soon as the apocalypse begins so the neighbours have no reason to rob them.

Plus I'm surprised at so little mention of books. There's a ton of useful stuff that you wouldn't want to have to figure out for yourself when the zombies are on the march.

The trouble with the UK is that it is small and densely populated.

You would have to be up in the Highlands or North Wales - or, better still, on one of the Scottish Islands - to be well enough out of the way for people not to be an issue.

Of course, it depends on the nature of the breakdown, how fast, and how many people survived.

A slow, economic breakdown would be very problematic and anarchy would prevail. I think I would just hide!

You are right about the books. I have lots. Although if I was cold enough, I might start to look at them and wonder how well they burned...

« Last Edit: October 25, 2018, 04:25:12 AM by Kay Inglis »

DrewMcGunn

« Reply #37 on: October 25, 2018, 04:30:34 AM »
Makes me want to sit down and read one of Joe Nobody's books.

Drew McGunn

Edward M. Grant

« Reply #38 on: October 25, 2018, 04:33:47 AM »
Certainly there have been loopholes in UK law, so that you can buy antique weapons that are still perfectly serviceable - so you could probably pick up a musket and no one would ask too many questions.

I guess the truly British armament for a post-apocalyptic world would be a Martini-Henry and a Webley WG. If it was good enough for the Zulu Wars, it's plenty good enough for the zombie apocalypse.

I keep thinking about buying a musket, but I suspect I'd accidentally overload it or something and blow myself up. I went to a place in the UK one time where we got to shoot all kinds of muskets and a blunderbuss and a black-powder mortar (loaded by people who knew what they were doing), and it was good, smoky fun.

Plus I'd ideally like an original Brown Bess, and I rarely see good ones for less than $3,000 here.

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #39 on: October 25, 2018, 04:34:55 AM »

Holy rusty metal, Batman!  :hehe

The following users thanked this post: Mark Gardner, Kay Inglis

Edward M. Grant

« Reply #40 on: October 25, 2018, 04:52:40 AM »
The trouble with the UK is that it is small and densely populated.

On the other hand, the dense population means most people wouldn't get far from the cities. Traffic jams would likely reduce most people to walking on the first day, because crashes and rioting would stop cars getting through.

Here, there are gravel roads starting a kilometre from my house that could take me hundreds of miles without hitting a major highway or needing to refuel. Assuming I got out before too many others started thinking about going the same way.

If I lived in London, I'd definitely stock up on canned food, fill the bath with water, and hide out until the worst was over. Or until the city caught fire when someone let their cooking fire spread, or a gas leak or electrical fault ignited something.

Or live near the Thames and have a fast boat tied up outside.

cecilia_writer

« Reply #41 on: October 25, 2018, 04:55:07 AM »
In a Brexit apocalypse ('Brexocalypse') you'd probably be better staying in town where there is slightly more chance of food supplies getting through.
However I've often thought of heading for the Highlands if anything worse than that happens, eg disastrous flooding on lower ground.
Incidentally, there was a huge fuss in our local paper in Edinburgh yesterday about a gun shop being about to open near a primary school (which you would think was a definite no after Dunblane) so there are still ways of getting hold of guns. Not that I would ever want one.

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #42 on: October 25, 2018, 05:01:58 AM »
. . . so there are still ways of getting hold of guns. Not that I would ever want one.

You'd want at least two.  Whether they should both use the same type of ammo is debatable.  On the one hand, needing to only stock one type would be beneficial.  On the other hand, being able to use more than one type would be beneficial if you have to obtain ammo during the apocalypse.

Edward M. Grant

« Reply #43 on: October 25, 2018, 05:11:31 AM »
You'd want at least two.  Whether they should both use the same type of ammo is debatable.

If I was preparing for the apocalypse, I'd be more tempted to get a shotgun. You can use it for hunting, you can use it for self-defense, and if you get into a situation where you need more firepower than a double-barrelled 12-gauge you probably screwed up real bad. Plus they tend to be relatively unrestricted in most of the world, and ammo is commonplace, though heavy.

In a post-apocalyptic scenario where you need the firepower of a handgun or AR-15, you're probably going to get hit by the bad guys, and then you die of blood poisoning. Or bitten by the zombie horde and become undead.

Basically, shootouts are something you really, really want to stay away from, unless, perhaps, you've been in the military and well-trained for it.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #44 on: October 25, 2018, 05:43:25 AM »
The Church of LDS sells survival packs. There's a 72 hr pack on up to a year's supply. Their philosophy is that when disaster strikes, you share with your neighbors.

I found this out when an author from NZ was talking about grabbing their 72 hr packs after a particularly damaging earthquake there a few year ago.

cecilia_writer

« Reply #45 on: October 25, 2018, 05:48:06 AM »
That's a good idea about the 72 hr packs.
I am aiming to stockpile a few weeks' worth of food and cat food for the Brexocalypse.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #46 on: October 25, 2018, 05:50:14 AM »
That's a good idea about the 72 hr packs.
I am aiming to stockpile a few weeks' worth of food and cat food for the Brexocalypse.

You can buy them online.

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #47 on: October 25, 2018, 06:38:04 AM »
In a post-apocalyptic scenario where you need the firepower of a handgun or AR-15, you're probably going to get hit by the bad guys, and then you die of blood poisoning. Or bitten by the zombie horde and become undead.

If it's zombies, I think you'd want something like an AR-15.  Zombies aren't going to shoot back (generally) and I think you could take care of more zombies with an AR-15 than a shotgun.

Then there's the matter of what type of ammo.  Plus, depending on the type of apocalypse you might expect, do you also want to stock silver bullets?  What about gold-tipped bullets? Holy water guns?  Salt water guns?  Maybe save time and get holy salt water so you're covered either way.

Edward M. Grant

« Reply #48 on: October 25, 2018, 06:50:39 AM »
If it's zombies, I think you'd want something like an AR-15.  Zombies aren't going to shoot back (generally) and I think you could take care of more zombies with an AR-15 than a shotgun.

The best way to deal with zombies is to avoid them. If you head toward a crowd and start shooting, you might get a few dozen, but the gunshots will bring their friends. And then you're surrounded, and then you're undead.

Shooting them should be a very last resort.

Yeah, maybe there's a crowd of them outside your bunker, but you built a fence, right? Or, better yet, one of those plastic and dirt walls that the military use.

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #49 on: October 25, 2018, 07:09:25 AM »
Yeah, maybe there's a crowd of them outside your bunker, but you built a fence, right? Or, better yet, one of those plastic and dirt walls that the military use.

A tall fence with barbed wire at the top.  Then, outside the fence is a moat with alligators.  Outside the moat is a smaller fence just for keeping the alligators in.