Author Topic: AUSTRALIAN writer's support thread  (Read 25564 times)

Leo

Re: AUSTRALIAN writer's support thread
« Reply #50 on: October 05, 2018, 04:20:31 PM »
Hi everyone. Great to see the Aussie thread is alive and kicking over here.

I'm looking for feedback from others who have published paperbacks with KDP and/or transferred books from Createspace.

I've been told by KDP that it 'typically' takes 30 days for the paperback edition to be available on the Australian Global store  "but additionally there are a few criteria that come into picture that decide whether or not a book should be made available in the Australian site. That being said, because there are many things that come into the criteria we can't exactly specify what they are." Excuse me! :help

Anyone else been told this?

Hi JB, they are basically the same in all ways, you'll find your KDP paperback available just like Createspace was. I've got mine in KDP print but not for Expanded Distribution, I use IngramSpark for that.

Make sure you tick 'All Territories' so your book is available everywhere.
Post-apocalypse or epic fantasy anyone?
Or perhaps tarot and astrology are more up your alley?

JB Rowley

« Reply #51 on: October 05, 2018, 06:46:56 PM »
Hi everyone. Great to see the Aussie thread is alive and kicking over here.

I'm looking for feedback from others who have published paperbacks with KDP and/or transferred books from Createspace.

I've been told by KDP that it 'typically' takes 30 days for the paperback edition to be available on the Australian Global store  "but additionally there are a few criteria that come into picture that decide whether or not a book should be made available in the Australian site. That being said, because there are many things that come into the criteria we can't exactly specify what they are." Excuse me! :help

Anyone else been told this?

Hi JB, they are basically the same in all ways, you'll find your KDP paperback available just like Createspace was. I've got mine in KDP print but not for Expanded Distribution, I use IngramSpark for that.

Make sure you tick 'All Territories' so your book is available everywhere.

Having to wait 30 days for my paperback to be available - with some doubt as to whether the book will be accepted - is not exactly the same as CreateSpace, Leo.

That aside, I'd like to know more about what you are doing with your books. Do you mean you have published your print book twice? Once with KDP and again with IngramSpark. So, two ISBNs?

Lee Carlon

« Reply #52 on: October 09, 2018, 09:31:50 AM »
The KDP print proofs/author copies is frustrating. The support page states, Australian users can use amazon.com or amazon.co.uk, but when I do I get the can't ship to Australia error.

I've emailed KDP to try and figure out where the discrepancy is, maybe the support page is out of date, or maybe they need to set a flag some where. I suspect the former but I'm hoping for the latter. I'll report back when I know more.

JB Rowley

« Reply #53 on: October 09, 2018, 10:07:01 AM »
The KDP print proofs/author copies is frustrating. The support page states, Australian users can use amazon.com or amazon.co.uk, but when I do I get the can't ship to Australia error.

I've emailed KDP to try and figure out where the discrepancy is, maybe the support page is out of date, or maybe they need to set a flag some where. I suspect the former but I'm hoping for the latter. I'll report back when I know more.

To the best of my knowledge, Lee, the issue with author/proof copies has not been resolved - such luxuries are simply not available to Aussie authors. We have to buy copies through the retail store.

Astrid Torquay

« Reply #54 on: October 09, 2018, 12:17:30 PM »
Hello! Another Australian reporting for duty.

Astrid Torquay

« Reply #55 on: October 09, 2018, 12:20:17 PM »
So this KDP author's copies issue -- if we can only get copies from the AU retail store, that means we can't actually get proof copies? Like at all?

(the purpose of proof copies being to check them before they go on sale)

I'm taking this venture step by step. Ultimately, my plan is to sell paperback on Amazon via KDP, and use IS for Expanded Distribution.

It feels so wrong to sell a product and not be able to check it first.

Astrid Torquay

« Reply #56 on: October 09, 2018, 12:24:57 PM »
So a while back I heard Joanna Penn say on her podcast that one can set the book prices higher in Australia because "Australians have a tolerance for higher prices". I remember that word: tolerance. I am not particularly tolerant of this, especially after being moved from .com to .com.au and seeing the difference in pricing for the same ebook.

Indies keep it fairly fair, but the big publishers seem to like a big difference. I appreciate that the Australian company is a different company, but still, when a new ebook release in the US is US$3.99, and in Australia is AU$11.99. And in that example they hadn't even redone the cover!

But I guess for indies the standard practice is to round up? So US$3.99 is AU$5.50 so round up to AU$5.99?

Anyway, when I priced my book, I rounded it down for Australian customers! Ha! I am the resistance!
« Last Edit: October 09, 2018, 12:26:58 PM by Astrid Torquay »

The following users thanked this post: Cebyam

anpacker

« Reply #57 on: October 09, 2018, 01:21:44 PM »
So a while back I heard Joanna Penn say on her podcast that one can set the book prices higher in Australia because "Australians have a tolerance for higher prices". I remember that word: tolerance. I am not particularly tolerant of this, especially after being moved from .com to .com.au and seeing the difference in pricing for the same ebook.

Indies keep it fairly fair, but the big publishers seem to like a big difference. I appreciate that the Australian company is a different company, but still, when a new ebook release in the US is US$3.99, and in Australia is AU$11.99. And in that example they hadn't even redone the cover!

But I guess for indies the standard practice is to round up? So US$3.99 is AU$5.50 so round up to AU$5.99?

Anyway, when I priced my book, I rounded it down for Australian customers! Ha! I am the resistance!

Haha! Nice, Astrid.  Grin

Welcome, by the way...

Genre: Epic Fantasy

Simon Haynes

« Reply #58 on: October 09, 2018, 02:02:19 PM »

I set mine at $1 more than the US prices. Canadian dollars the same.

One thing to bear in mind with US$3.99 vs A$11.99 - if it's a big publisher and the locals are editing the book for us/aus language differences, that aussie publisher will be paying their staff maybe twice what the US publisher will be, AND they're going to sell maybe 10% the number of copies their US counterpart will.

Re tolerance for pricing here, we don't get those poor-quality dimestore $6.99 paperbacks like they do in the US. Our minimum is a trade paperback, even though it's an A-format size. That's one reason our minimum prices on print books are high, another being wages, transport, retail rents and so on. We just don't have the scale.

The following users thanked this post: Erron

ashleycapes

• Short Novel unlocked
  • My neighbors think my name is Emily Goldfinch
    • Website
« Reply #59 on: October 09, 2018, 02:04:56 PM »
And G.S.T, which seems to add maybe $3-$7 to the price of any given paperback, compared to pre GST days

Ashley Capes | website

Simon Haynes

« Reply #60 on: October 09, 2018, 02:18:06 PM »
And G.S.T, which seems to add maybe $3-$7 to the price of any given paperback, compared to pre GST days

Heh. Not quite, but seems to is right ;-)  (Unless you mean the big B- and C- format trade paperbacks?)

To be fair, though, paperbacks were around the $18.95-$19.95 mark in 2000, now they're ... the same. Some are $22.95, but the price hasn't moved very much in almost 20 years.

The following users thanked this post: Erron

JB Rowley

« Reply #61 on: October 09, 2018, 02:29:30 PM »
So this KDP author's copies issue -- if we can only get copies from the AU retail store, that means we can't actually get proof copies? Like at all?

(the purpose of proof copies being to check them before they go on sale)

I'm taking this venture step by step. Ultimately, my plan is to sell paperback on Amazon via KDP, and use IS for Expanded Distribution.

It feels so wrong to sell a product and not be able to check it first.

Ir's bizarre, Astrid.

Below is a copy of an email from KDP I received after asking them what options are available to Aussie authors re proofs.

"I understand your frustration in this matter. Please note that we had to change this due to the new Australian GST law.
Before publishing your paperback, it will go through two separate reviews to make sure our customers have a positive reading experience.

First, it will go through the online print previewer.
This tools allows you to see what your book cover and manuscript will look like before you publish it and will also help you identify formatting errors that need to be fixed before publishing. There are lines that show the “safe” areas on the cover and tool tips that appear when you hover your mouse near them. These tips provide helpful information to make sure nothing is getting cut off and your files are formatted according to the margin specification.

After you approve the paperback within the print previewer and click "save and publish" on the pricing page the book will go to our manual review team.

They look at image resolution, fonts, margin settings, and overall readability of your book. They also review all new or revised KDP books for compliance with our content guidelines. If they find any issues, they'll let you know via email.
Should you after this order a retail copy and still find the title to be faulty then please let us know. Should you wish you will be able to unpublish the book while you fix the issues you may have found."

So there you have it.

And to add insult to injury if we transfer our paperbacks from CreateSpace to KDP they will not be available to Aussie readers for 30 days - something they don't bother to tell us when they send their 'excited' email to announce that "that CreateSpace (CSP) and Kindle Direct Publishing (KDP) will become one service."

ashleycapes

• Short Novel unlocked
    • Website
« Reply #62 on: October 09, 2018, 04:25:59 PM »

Heh. Not quite, but seems to is right ;-)  (Unless you mean the big B- and C- format trade paperbacks?)

To be fair, though, paperbacks were around the $18.95-$19.95 mark in 2000, now they're ... the same. Some are $22.95, but the price hasn't moved very much in almost 20 years.

Yep, that sounds about right, the trade ones took the brunt of the hike :)

If I search a bit, I can still get a pre-2000 (ish) price at a spot like Target but it's steeper in actual bookstores - but then, nothing quite beats going into an actual store to talk to folks about books so that's a nice trade-off for the extra cost

Ashley Capes | website

Erron

« Reply #63 on: October 10, 2018, 07:38:47 AM »
Difference between business name and imprint? Can someone explain it in terms of Australian authors? I know I have to register a business name, but what about imprint? Can I choose anything, or is there a separate registration process?

thanks...

The Bass Bagwhan

« Reply #64 on: October 13, 2018, 09:51:07 PM »
I'm seriously thinking of putting myself out "there" as an audiobook narrator and producer at $100 PFH. I'm Australian, and my accent is a deal-breaker for most non-Oz authors. After seven books of my own with good reviews, indicators are I'm good at the job. But $100 PFH is cheap, and maybe most will assume I can't produce a good audiobook... but I'm keen to try creating someone else's book and discover the demands and logistics that requires. That demands an untried, entry-level price.
I'm unashamedly fishing here for any thoughts or opinions that might let me take this further.

Thanks!

Simon Haynes

« Reply #65 on: October 13, 2018, 10:36:03 PM »
I've been trying to record my own audiobook, but to be honest my time is better spent writing new work.

I'm more than happy with an aussie accent, and in fact an aussie actually recorded seven chapters of Hal 1 a year or so back and they sounded great.

(They got busy and dropped the project. It wasn't a paid deal, they approached me to have a go, with the idea of a profit share if/when the work was completed.)

I'm more than happy to discuss a proper contract with an estimate and an agreed PFH. I'll msg you now with my email.

baldricko

« Reply #66 on: October 14, 2018, 01:23:10 PM »
How about a New Zealander living in Sydney? For eleven years so far. In that time, I've seen 8 Aussie prime ministers. a dead wombat lying legs up on the main road to Canberra, some kangaroos, a lot of Australians, and more.

I have written thriller & suspense novels. I like to write SF. I think I've met most of you before.

Will go and post something similar in the NZ writer support thread now.  grint

Simon Haynes

« Reply #67 on: October 14, 2018, 01:46:31 PM »
How about a New Zealander living in Sydney? For eleven years so far. In that time, I've seen 8 Aussie prime ministers. a dead wombat lying legs up on the main road to Canberra, some kangaroos, a lot of Australians, and more.

I have written thriller & suspense novels. I like to write SF. I think I've met most of you before.

Will go and post something similar in the NZ writer support thread now.  grint

Welcome! Although to be fair, measuring the passage of time in APMs is misleading in the extreme ;-)

nicole

« Reply #68 on: October 19, 2018, 08:40:45 AM »
Hey! I'm an Aussie author/hermit from country Victoria. ;)
Six years self-pub, four years full time. Romance and UF, represent!

Leo

« Reply #69 on: October 19, 2018, 09:13:05 AM »
Hey! I'm an Aussie author/hermit from country Victoria. ;)
Six years self-pub, four years full time. Romance and UF, represent!

Hi Nicole, and welcome to our little community L)

JB Rowley

« Reply #70 on: October 19, 2018, 12:18:19 PM »
On the vexed issue of publishing paperback through KDP.

There was absolutely no indication from Amazon that there would be a 30 day delay before the paperback edition of the book I just published would be available to Australians (which includes the author). In fact their communication implied that the book would be available ‘within 3-5 days’.

I contacted KDP support to complain about the delay in making the paperback available and got the usual Amazon line about the Australian GST laws causing the problem and that they were working hard to improve the situation.

I then wrote to Jezz Bezos. I got fobbed off by one of his executives (who claimed Jeff had read the email) with the usual shifting of blame to the Australian Government. He totally ignored the main thrust of my email which was the problem of not communicating that there would be a delay. Surely that is well within the power of Amazon to control.

Anyway, I ordered a handful of copies to use for promotion via AusPost freight forwarding (Shopmate). Very easy to do and the books will be here next week which is fine. However, the cost of freight via this service, even with a ‘welcome’ discount of $10, is twice the cost that CreateSpace used to charge.

And now I wait. Will my paperbacks be available to the Australian market in 30 days? Or is there some other hidden hiccup waiting to cause further delays? :shrug

A. N. Onymous

« Reply #71 on: October 19, 2018, 01:32:09 PM »
Way, way,way off topic...but how many times can you say that your brother just purchased a town? According to Domain.com the most viewed property in Australia. Allies Creek is about 3 hours drive from Brisbane and boasts 12 homes, several large sheds including an old sawmill, a large dam and about twenty hectares.
https://www.news.com.au/finance/real-estate/buying/entire-town-hits-market-for-unbelievable-price/news-story/d52ca67121c2f11eec1f280906684192

My brother and his wife are looking to turn the town into a multi-faceted facility for arts and crafts, recreational camping/holidaying and any other crazy schemes they can dream of. Just had to share, sorry for venturing so far off topic. Nobody but Australian would really care, so I didn't think appropriate for a general posting.

The following users thanked this post: Captain Cranky, djmills

Captain Cranky

« Reply #72 on: October 19, 2018, 01:57:38 PM »
Wow, that is awesome! Goodluck to your brother and his wife, what a bargain  grint
If you dare nothing, then when the day is over nothing is all you will have gained. -Neil Gaiman

Mammasan

« Reply #73 on: October 20, 2018, 02:10:29 AM »
I'm not trying to derail this thread in any way, but can I just slip in here and ask a question of any Australians here (I'm American)?

I'm watching an Australian TV show on Netflix called "Rake." Plotwise, it now involves the Australian government's conflicts. One of the running jokes is that when things are going the worst, someone will threaten to "call in the Americans," which is met with horror/terror. Could somebody explain the joke to me, i.e. why this is viewed with such horror (it's pretty funny, but I'd like to understand it)? Thanks.

Again, apologies for any derailment.

baldricko

« Reply #74 on: October 21, 2018, 11:06:39 AM »
I'm not trying to derail this thread in any way, but can I just slip in here and ask a question of any Australians here (I'm American)?

I'm watching an Australian TV show on Netflix called "Rake." Plotwise, it now involves the Australian government's conflicts. One of the running jokes is that when things are going the worst, someone will threaten to "call in the Americans," which is met with horror/terror. Could somebody explain the joke to me, i.e. why this is viewed with such horror (it's pretty funny, but I'd like to understand it)? Thanks.

Now, that would be opening the door to a thoroughly political discussion... where a lot of those emojis I see up top when typing this would probably come in handy.

The following users thanked this post: Mammasan

Leo

« Reply #75 on: October 21, 2018, 04:46:32 PM »

I am not surprised that no one has attempted to answer this, particularly as this forum is predominantly populated by Americans. Mammasan, please understand that Aussie humour can be quite ribald and rude, and highly politically incorrect. We love to lampoon and imbibe in a daily feast of satire and irony. If you aren't Aussie, Kiwi or Pommie then our humour would seem rather 'strange'.

JB Rowley

« Reply #76 on: October 28, 2018, 06:47:46 AM »

Rake is produced in Sydney and I am in Melbourne so ‘call in the Americans’ might have taken on a more modern meaning in Sydney that I’m not aware of but I believe it is a reference to WW2.

During WW2 the British Prime Minister Winston Churchill made it clear he would not help protect Australia from a potential Japanese invasion. So the Australian Prime Minister John Curtin called on the Americans to help, asserting that Australia now ‘looks to America, free of any pangs as to our traditional links or kinship with the United Kingdom’. Shock and outrage rippled through the nation at this. How could we be so disloyal to Britain!

Simon Haynes

« Reply #77 on: November 22, 2018, 01:32:22 PM »
Oh wow.  I haven't checked to see whether we can now order our own paperbacks via Createspace.

https://thewest.com.au/business/retail/amazoncom-bows-to-pressure-reopens-global-store-to-australian-shoppers-ng-b881028518z

Amazon has stopped blocking Australians from shopping on its much larger US site after a customer backlash, dumping an unpopular policy the retail giant had said was necessary to comply with GST laws.

Simon Haynes

« Reply #78 on: November 22, 2018, 01:42:47 PM »
It's not working yet, but the article above says 'from nov 22nd', which I assume is tomorrow in our time zone.

JB Rowley

« Reply #79 on: November 22, 2018, 01:48:23 PM »
Oh wow.  I haven't checked to see whether we can now order our own paperbacks via Createspace.

https://thewest.com.au/business/retail/amazoncom-bows-to-pressure-reopens-global-store-to-australian-shoppers-ng-b881028518z

Amazon has stopped blocking Australians from shopping on its much larger US site after a customer backlash, dumping an unpopular policy the retail giant had said was necessary to comply with GST laws.

:clap:   

I wonder if Aussie authors can now order proof copies and author copies.

Simon Haynes

« Reply #80 on: November 22, 2018, 02:01:21 PM »
Not yet. I'll try again after 1am AWST

JB Rowley

« Reply #81 on: November 23, 2018, 05:51:28 AM »

Looks like proof and author copies are now available to us. I haven't tried placing an order but both options to order are now showing.

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
  • Earth Galaxy core, 2618
    • The Hunter Imperium Universe
« Reply #82 on: November 23, 2018, 10:56:34 AM »

Looks like proof and author copies are now available to us. I haven't tried placing an order but both options to order are now showing.

Not necessarily indicative. Quite often you can go through the entire process, and then it tells you it cant be shipped after all.

When someone confirms they actually ship, then we can celebrate.
Genres: Space Opera/Fantasy/Cyberpunk, with elements of LitRPG and GameLit, with a touch of the Supernatural. Also Spiritual and Games.

Timothy Ellis Kindle Author page. | Join the Hunter Legacy mailing list | The Hunter Imperium Universe on Facebook. | Forum Promo Page.

Simon Haynes

« Reply #83 on: November 23, 2018, 12:42:26 PM »
I tried again and the message is the same: Amazon can't ship 'third party' items to Australia.

Now we probably need to hassle KDP.

JB Rowley

« Reply #84 on: February 23, 2019, 04:27:45 AM »
Just wondering if anyone has recently bought author copies of print books through KDP and had them shipped successfully to Australia. It looks like we can, but is the proof in the pudding?

Simon Haynes

« Reply #85 on: February 23, 2019, 11:54:04 AM »
Nope, still doesn't work. I'm about to order author copies and have them shipped to a hotel in Singapore, so my parents can bring them back in their luggage. What a ridiculous situation.

The following users thanked this post: JB Rowley

ashleycapes

• Short Novel unlocked
    • Website
« Reply #86 on: February 23, 2019, 12:04:42 PM »
I know this is possibly an extremely useless suggestion in a way, since everyone has their files set up already - but is it worth switching to someone else for print, since KDP is struggling so much?

I've always used IngramSpark/Lightning Source and since they have a fulfillment center in Victoria, I don't have to deal with CS/KDP for print, nor US shipping costs & times. (I assume Amazon still doesn't have a printing plant here in Oz yet?)

Ashley Capes | website

JB Rowley

« Reply #87 on: February 23, 2019, 12:12:27 PM »
I know this is possibly an extremely useless suggestion in a way, since everyone has their files set up already - but is it worth switching to someone else for print, since KDP is struggling so much?

I've always used IngramSpark/Lightning Source and since they have a fulfillment center in Victoria, I don't have to deal with CS/KDP for print, nor US shipping costs & times. (I assume Amazon still doesn't have a printing plant here in Oz yet?)

I'm certainly considering the IngramSpark option for my next book due out at the end of the year. If that works out well for me, I'll look at switching my other books over as well.

ashleycapes

• Short Novel unlocked
    • Website
« Reply #88 on: February 23, 2019, 12:18:17 PM »

I'm certainly considering the IngramSpark option for my next book due out at the end of the year. If that works out well for me, I'll look at switching my other books over as well.

I've been quite happy with them so far, in terms of speed and quality etc - but as you've probably seen mentioned around, it's best to find a promo code to get free uploads/revisions whenever possible. (One expires in March if I remember correctly).

Ashley Capes | website

Leo

« Reply #89 on: February 23, 2019, 12:18:59 PM »
I've used IngramSpark for a few years and am very happy with there service. There is a forum here on WriterSanctum that you can go to, it has one of their staff available for us to contact.

Simon Haynes

« Reply #90 on: February 23, 2019, 07:16:22 PM »
It's not worth it for me. I only need a dozen copies a year in Australia max. I used Lightning Source for years, but the fees and fiddly upload requirements did my head in.

anpacker

« Reply #91 on: February 23, 2019, 07:52:06 PM »
If you're going to use IngramSpark, now's the time. They have a promo on until the end of March where they're waiving the fees entirely. The promo code is "NANO". You have to get the book(s) fully loaded, including cover and contents, to save the $49 setup fee per book (you can't load just the cover now and save half, then load the content later and pay the balance).

Genre: Epic Fantasy

JB Rowley

« Reply #92 on: February 24, 2019, 07:46:43 AM »
It's not worth it for me. I only need a dozen copies a year in Australia max. I used Lightning Source for years, but the fees and fiddly upload requirements did my head in.

Yes, when I first checked out IngramSpark/Lightning Source it seemed even more mind boggling than Smashwords.

lea_owens

« Reply #93 on: March 03, 2019, 06:44:05 PM »
Hi, fellow Aussies.

For those wanting to get 'author copies' of your books printed on KDP in the US, you need to get a free ShopMate account with Australia Post.  https://shopmate.auspost.com.au/  That gives you a US address so you can then order 'author copies' from your KDP Bookshelf page options next to your book. I'm doing it for the first time since the change over from CS, which used to ship quickly and relatively cheaply. I'm only having 20 of my new book sent out (just under 400 pages per book), so I'll give you a price and time breakdown when I have all the costs.

It was only three days after ordering the author copies that Amazon were shipping them to the ShopMate address - so that was fast. When they arrive there, ShopMate will email me as they will need a copy of the invoice from Amazon, and then I pay them for shipment to Australia.

I did get some quotes from Australian printers, but I think most worked out more expensive than KDP versions, and I'm fairly sure some were just printing through them as they offered world wide distribution through Amazon. I guess, buyer beware with any printing company. One of my friends claimed to get really cheap books printed in China, but I'd be very concerned about copyright issues since there are so many Chinese companies that show very little concern for copyright issues when it comes to so many other things.

I'm going to order a box of my smallest books later in the week, just to compare times and postage.

JB Rowley

« Reply #94 on: March 04, 2019, 05:03:46 AM »
Hi, fellow Aussies.

For those wanting to get 'author copies' of your books printed on KDP in the US, you need to get a free ShopMate account with Australia Post.  https://shopmate.auspost.com.au/  That gives you a US address so you can then order 'author copies' from your KDP Bookshelf page options next to your book. I'm doing it for the first time since the change over from CS, which used to ship quickly and relatively cheaply. I'm only having 20 of my new book sent out (just under 400 pages per book), so I'll give you a price and time breakdown when I have all the costs.

It was only three days after ordering the author copies that Amazon were shipping them to the ShopMate address - so that was fast. When they arrive there, ShopMate will email me as they will need a copy of the invoice from Amazon, and then I pay them for shipment to Australia.

I did get some quotes from Australian printers, but I think most worked out more expensive than KDP versions, and I'm fairly sure some were just printing through them as they offered world wide distribution through Amazon. I guess, buyer beware with any printing company. One of my friends claimed to get really cheap books printed in China, but I'd be very concerned about copyright issues since there are so many Chinese companies that show very little concern for copyright issues when it comes to so many other things.

I'm going to order a box of my smallest books later in the week, just to compare times and postage.

I used ShopMate a few months ago to ship copies I had been forced to buy at retail rates. ShopMate shipping costs were more expensive than Amazon/CS.

However I'm interested in knowing whether Aussie authors are now actually able to buy our books at 'author copy' rates. If I'm reading your message correctly, you've actually bought copies at 'author copy' rates (e.g. $3 - $4 ea). Is that correct?

lea_owens

« Reply #95 on: March 04, 2019, 06:47:34 AM »
JB Rowley - yes, I was able to purchase the books as 'author copies' at the printing rate. I didn't have to pay retail. In 'Bookshelf', when you hover over the three dots at the right of 'promote and advertise' the option 'request author copies' comes up. I ordered, paid the 'printing price' costs, plus postage, for 20 books. I'm still waiting to see how much extra postage I have to pay from ShopMate, but paying around $5 for the 391 page book gives me some leeway with postage costs.

lea_owens

« Reply #96 on: March 04, 2019, 06:49:43 AM »

I used ShopMate a few months ago to ship copies I had been forced to buy at retail rates. ShopMate shipping costs were more expensive than Amazon/CS.

However I'm interested in knowing whether Aussie authors are now actually able to buy our books at 'author copy' rates. If I'm reading your message correctly, you've actually bought copies at 'author copy' rates (e.g. $3 - $4 ea). Is that correct?

I'll be interested to know if you now have the option of 'author copies', or was it a glitch with mine? Surely, it is all authors, as long as a US address is provided.

JB Rowley

« Reply #97 on: March 04, 2019, 06:59:38 AM »

I'll be interested to know if you now have the option of 'author copies', or was it a glitch with mine? Surely, it is all authors, as long as a US address is provided.

For a period of time in 2018 Aussie authors could not purchase their books at the reduced 'author copy' rates even if using a US address. We had to buy them retail and we still could not get them shipped to Australia.  The fact that we can again order author copies means that ridiculous situation has apparently changed. (I haven't ordered any author copies of my books this year, although in my account it looks like I can. I just didn't know if it would 'really truly' work but if it has worked for you then it looks like it's all good.)

The next ridiculous situation that has to change is not being able to ship the books direct to AUS.

lea_owens

« Reply #98 on: April 25, 2019, 03:57:48 PM »
How's it all going, fellow Aussies? ANZAC day is here again - always a fairly sombre day. My grandfather was at Gallipoli. Served in WWI and WWII. He died before I was born. I knew Dr Mountjoy when I was young, who was one of the veterinarians with the Light Horse in the Middle East in WWI. His stories were amazing - he had to  put many of the horses down. If you Google his name, along with some keywords, you'll find his photographs online "Stanley Mountjoy horse photographs WWI" should do it - you might find inspiration for a story in them. He was also a good friend of Banjo Patterson. I LOVED Banjo's poems as a kid in the 60s an 70s, so talking to an old man who had been his friend was pretty darned cool.

So much of history is closer than we think. My friend, Alana, talks of her grandmother and her grandmother's good friend - who was Ned Kelly's sister. Her grandfather told her of when Ned Kelly worked their horses at Glenrowan where they lived. Alana is 70 - one of those young 70 year old people though. I keep getting selfies from her on my phone with, "My balcony this morning" and it might be the pyramids behind her, or the Andes, or the Eiffel Tower.

Well, that's my five minute break from writing. Back to the new book - 27,000 words down since April 8, 70,000+ to go, and I'm dilly dallying, as usual. Keep on writing!

Simon Haynes

« Reply #99 on: April 25, 2019, 05:32:13 PM »
Doing well thanks - a spot of gardening, and 1200 words done on my current WIP.

Both my grandfathers served - one in the Great War, in the Royal Flying Corps. (He was sixteen, and lied about his age to join up.)  The other grandfather was in the 8th Army, and saw action in North Africa, and probably Italy. He was MIA for a while, presumed killed, but showed up again (fortunately!)