Author Topic: 50+ words a day...no matter what!  (Read 308847 times)

Maggie Ann

Re: 50+ words a day...no matter what!
« Reply #1000 on: September 08, 2019, 09:41:39 PM »
Did a bit of editing last night and enough words to skip to a new page. About 180. Hope to start book 2 today.

The following users thanked this post: Lorri Moulton

Maggie Ann

« Reply #1001 on: September 09, 2019, 01:28:53 AM »
I did start book 2 today and I think it's off to a good start. Wordage was 1305.

The following users thanked this post: Lorri Moulton, diisha392

Lorri Moulton

« Reply #1002 on: September 09, 2019, 04:23:51 AM »
I did start book 2 today and I think it's off to a good start. Wordage was 1305.

Congrats, Maggie Ann!  :clap:

Author of Romance, Fantasy, Fairytales, Mystery & Suspense, and Historical Non-Fiction @ Lavender Cottage Books

Maggie Ann

« Reply #1003 on: September 09, 2019, 11:28:33 AM »
Edited about 117 pages with about 30 to go. I think I'm going to take one more run at it before I send it to my editor. It still needs more atmosphere.

Kristen.s.walker

« Reply #1004 on: September 09, 2019, 01:14:36 PM »
1427 words today.

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #1005 on: September 10, 2019, 02:01:10 AM »
Wrote 160 words Saturday and 160 words on Sunday on the space opera, which gave me three days in a row of 160 words, and 215 words Saturday and 330 words Sunday for the gritty urban superhero thing which may not be so gritty.  :shrug
Mulder: "If you're distracted by fear of those around you, it keeps you from seeing the actions of those above."
The X-Files: "Blood"

The following users thanked this post: Lorri Moulton, diisha392, Kristen.s.walker

Maggie Ann

« Reply #1006 on: September 10, 2019, 10:13:47 AM »
First edit is done. I'll be doing one more before sending it to the real editor.

For now, I'll be adding some wordage to Book 2.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #1007 on: September 10, 2019, 11:18:31 AM »
Wordage added - 1,086

As usual, I have no idea where the story is going. Just some people and a basic premise. Hope I make it!  :banana-riding-llama-smiley-em

diisha392

« Reply #1008 on: September 10, 2019, 12:58:32 PM »
74 little words which is more than I thought I'd get a half hour ago

The following users thanked this post: Lorri Moulton, Kristen.s.walker

Maggie Ann

« Reply #1009 on: September 10, 2019, 01:02:45 PM »
74 little words which is more than I thought I'd get a half hour ago

:tup3b

Lorri Moulton

« Reply #1010 on: September 11, 2019, 06:49:02 AM »
Almost 1000 words during lunch.  Hope to write more tonight!

Author of Romance, Fantasy, Fairytales, Mystery & Suspense, and Historical Non-Fiction @ Lavender Cottage Books

The following users thanked this post: Post-Crisis D

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #1011 on: September 11, 2019, 07:23:18 AM »
Yesterday, I wrote 75 words for the space opera and 195 words for the gritty urban superhero thing which I feel needs more detail and tension, especially since it opens with a brutal murder.  Well, murders.  Almost 1,400 words so far.  Might be one where I add words when editing.
Mulder: "If you're distracted by fear of those around you, it keeps you from seeing the actions of those above."

Lorri Moulton

« Reply #1012 on: September 11, 2019, 10:06:22 AM »
I ended up with 2565 words for the day.  More than I've written in a while...but it feels good to be back!  :smilie_zauber:

Kristen.s.walker

« Reply #1013 on: September 11, 2019, 11:06:52 AM »
No words yesterday. 3770 words today. I'm doing everything I can to manage my carpal tunnel right now but I may just need to push through the pain to make this looming deadline. If I can finish it, I can take a rest while my editor works on it.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #1014 on: September 11, 2019, 11:53:55 AM »
No words yesterday. 3770 words today. I'm doing everything I can to manage my carpal tunnel right now but I may just need to push through the pain to make this looming deadline. If I can finish it, I can take a rest while my editor works on it.

When I had problems with my hands, I got a soft, elastic glove with no fingers from Walgreens. It wasn't perfect, but it helped and since I was a word processor at the time, I needed something to keep me going.

Second edit of Book 1: 14 pages

Wordage of Book 2: 1,397

Maggie Ann

« Reply #1015 on: September 12, 2019, 11:20:23 AM »
Up to page 65 in the second edit of the first book.

966 words added to the second book. I had a hard time getting started but then a character popped up and I started typing. Turns out he was the perfect person to bring up events from the first book. I appreciate his stepping up like that.  :angel:

Lorri Moulton

« Reply #1016 on: September 12, 2019, 11:48:56 AM »
285 words today.  Now stuck looking at granite countertops. They're remodeling the kitchen in the story.  :shrug

The following users thanked this post: Kristen.s.walker

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #1017 on: September 13, 2019, 01:10:47 AM »
Wrote 170 words Tuesday and 100 words yesterday for the space opera, where I've apparently written myself into a corner, and wrote 159 words Tuesday and 486 words yesterday for the superhero thing.

Finished the first chapter in the superhero thing and need to start the second.  The character had this big speech to start the chapter and it was clear in my mind before I started writing the book, but now that I've finished the first chapter, I can't remember any of the big speech.  And, of course, if I had written the speech first, I might have forgotten what was going to happen in the first chapter.  You can't win.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #1018 on: September 13, 2019, 03:35:38 AM »
285 words today.  Now stuck looking at granite countertops. They're remodeling the kitchen in the story.  :shrug

Personally, I'd go for quartz.  Grin

notthatamanda

« Reply #1019 on: September 13, 2019, 03:40:05 AM »

Oh man, this is the best part of the job isn't it?  I love looking at house stuff for stories.  Check out the vetrazzo, recycled glass.

Today, I'm researching sperm donation, artificial insemination and plan b.

Lorri Moulton

« Reply #1020 on: September 13, 2019, 04:45:47 AM »

I know.  My co-author really wants granite and it makes sense for the character.  I think we're going to use River White Granite and a soft blue glass subway tile.  Their view is Puget Sound in the San Juan Islands...so blue seems like a good choice with the white cabinets. 

Here's our inspiration picture from Pinterest.  We've had this for a while.

« Last Edit: September 13, 2019, 04:51:00 AM by Lorri Moulton [Lavender Lass Books] »

Maggie Ann

« Reply #1021 on: September 13, 2019, 05:49:16 AM »

Oh man, this is the best part of the job isn't it?  I love looking at house stuff for stories.  Check out the vetrazzo, recycled glass.

Here I was so happy with my quartz countertops. I'm still happy with the kitchen quartz, but I used Formica in the bathrooms. Now I want the glass for my bathroom but it is a really, really long countertop. I should never look at home improvement stuff.

I know.  My co-author really wants granite and it makes sense for the character.  I think we're going to use River White Granite and a soft blue glass subway tile.  Their view is Puget Sound in the San Juan Islands...so blue seems like a good choice with the white cabinets. 

White subway tile is so cold and commercial, but I could definitely go for soft blue glass subway tile.

Funny, I was just last night thinking about the kitchen in my new book. The house is a colonial.

« Last Edit: September 13, 2019, 05:52:02 AM by Maggie Ann »

Lorri Moulton

« Reply #1022 on: September 13, 2019, 05:55:58 AM »
I love the mansion in this series, but I am looking forward to the next one with a small, coastal cottage.  :dog1:

notthatamanda

« Reply #1023 on: September 13, 2019, 10:18:42 AM »

Here I was so happy with my quartz countertops. I'm still happy with the kitchen quartz, but I used Formica in the bathrooms. Now I want the glass for my bathroom but it is a really, really long countertop. I should never look at home improvement stuff.

White subway tile is so cold and commercial, but I could definitely go for soft blue glass subway tile.

Funny, I was just last night thinking about the kitchen in my new book. The house is a colonial.
I priced the vetrazzo for my tiny island kitchen in my old house. 2 ft by 4 ft. It was ridiculous.
The house we are in now has rain forest green granite. I knew we were destined to live here, when I walked in and saw that.
Green's my thing.
I didn't even know subway tile came in colors, I don't like the white, it reminds me of the subway. I can't believe all those tile walls in NYC subways when I think about it now.

Lorri Moulton

« Reply #1024 on: September 13, 2019, 11:38:20 AM »
Ended up with 2,565 words for the day.  :smilie_zauber:

Kristen.s.walker

« Reply #1025 on: September 13, 2019, 11:49:33 AM »
Wow, all those kitchen pictures are beautiful. When I'm writing scenery descriptions, it's usually industrial things like the boiler room of an airship or how cramped it feels inside the submersible. Maybe I should switch from steampunk to something with more of these beautiful mansions. Or go remodel a house in The Sims.

Today's scene was actually inside a bloody temple. Human sacrifice, of course. I'm trying to ramp up this ending to make it big. I always want to rush to end things because I'm just ready to be done, but then it's not dramatic enough, so I gotta drag things out. Which leads to procrastination. But today was 3964 words.

For my carpal tunnel, I wear a wrist brace and do exercises which were all recommended by my physical therapist. Also set a timer to take breaks instead of one long writing session. But there's only so much I can push, especially since I'm still recovering from all the heavy lifting of the move. I'm not supposed to lift more than 20-30 pounds even with both hands, but of course I did more than that when moving.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #1026 on: September 13, 2019, 12:30:55 PM »
Didn't get any writing done but I'm up to 115 pages edited. Boy am I finding a lot of mistakes especially in the kitchen description. It seems like I couldn't make up my mind but now I have.

Thanks for the inspiration, Lori and Amanda.

notthatamanda

« Reply #1027 on: September 13, 2019, 08:24:46 PM »
Didn't get any writing done but I'm up to 115 pages edited. Boy am I finding a lot of mistakes especially in the kitchen description. It seems like I couldn't make up my mind but now I have.

Thanks for the inspiration, Lori and Amanda.
If you ever want to talk interior design, I'm here for you.  I think part of my husband lives in fear of me hitting it big and what that will mean in the house department.

The following users thanked this post: Lorri Moulton, Maggie Ann

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #1028 on: September 14, 2019, 02:50:53 AM »
Wrote 140 words yesterday on the space opera.  As indicated before, I had written myself into a corner, but I think I found a way out.  Just have to work out how to get the characters back on course.

Wrote 375 words yesterday on the semi-gritty superhero thing.

Also did some editing the other day on the lame space opera.  Tempted to give that a go again.  I do like the first chapter.  If I can recapture that tone for the rest of the book, I'm golden.

Hoping to hear from my beta reader soon on the fantasy epic.  Thought I might hear something back this week, but not looking like it.  Just sort of anxious to hear, you know?  But I'm not going to be a pest because they're doing it for free and I know they are busy with other things, so I'll just wait patiently.

Lorri Moulton

« Reply #1029 on: September 14, 2019, 11:09:11 AM »
708 words today.  I had to stop everything and write a short chapter for the fairytale on my website.  It's one chapter a week and I almost forgot! :smilie_zauber:

Kristen.s.walker

« Reply #1030 on: September 14, 2019, 12:31:09 PM »
1020 words today. Still struggling with the ending.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #1031 on: September 14, 2019, 01:02:08 PM »
Edited up to pg 151 and wrote 157 words.

Not sure where this is going, or rather, I know where it's going but not how I'm going to get there.

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #1032 on: September 15, 2019, 05:47:35 AM »
Apparently, I lied.  I only wrote 60 words on Thursday for the semi-gritty superhero thing.  And I wrote 215 words yesterday.

Wrote 105 words yesterday on the space opera.  I keep separating these two characters shortly after I put them back together again.  LOL.

Lorri Moulton

« Reply #1033 on: September 15, 2019, 09:41:30 AM »
1493 words in the fairytale.  That should take care of the next few weeks.   :smilie_zauber:

Kristen.s.walker

« Reply #1034 on: September 15, 2019, 11:16:18 AM »
4849 words today and I typed THE END! That's the first draft in the bag. 83,378 words total.

The following users thanked this post: Lorri Moulton, Post-Crisis D

Lorri Moulton

« Reply #1035 on: September 15, 2019, 11:17:20 AM »
4849 words today and I typed THE END! That's the first draft in the bag. 83,378 words total.

Congrats!!!  :cheers

Maggie Ann

« Reply #1036 on: September 15, 2019, 11:18:31 AM »

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Edited Book 1 up to Page 210 and wrote 1077 on Book 2. The story was dragging a bit so I thought I'd throw in a body. It was going to happen anyway but I needed it to happen now.

diisha392

« Reply #1037 on: September 15, 2019, 12:20:06 PM »

Awesome!

And I had fun looking at the kitchen pictures as I caught up on reading this thread.

This week has been abysmal for my writing but I managed 100 words today (which makes me feel marginally better about spending $20 on a book promotion today that has netted 0 sales--lesson learned).

Maggie Ann

« Reply #1038 on: September 16, 2019, 01:46:54 AM »

Awesome!

And I had fun looking at the kitchen pictures as I caught up on reading this thread.

This week has been abysmal for my writing but I managed 100 words today (which makes me feel marginally better about spending $20 on a book promotion today that has netted 0 sales--lesson learned).

Now I need a Victorian kitchen.  :doh: Time to hit Google images.

Back on track with 1729 words this morning. See? Nothing like a corpse to liven up a story.

Hazard

« Reply #1039 on: September 16, 2019, 01:19:06 PM »
Does 50 works on an outline count?

This thread looks encouraging to slowpokes like me compared to ones with steeper counts that seem insurmountable at most times.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #1040 on: September 16, 2019, 10:20:51 PM »

This thread looks encouraging to slowpokes like me compared to ones with steeper counts that seem insurmountable at most times.

An outline definitely counts. A shopping list doesn't.  :icon_mrgreen:

Finished my second edit last night and sent it off to my beta reader. She's in the middle of a bathroom remodel and I doubt if she'll get to it anytime soon, but I'm in no rush. I want all four books written, edited and covered before I release the first one.

Lorri Moulton

« Reply #1041 on: September 17, 2019, 12:02:54 AM »

Definitely!  :goodpost:

I made a new cover yesterday!  Didn't get much writing done, but I did have 496 words from the night before.  About 1/5 of the way through my book.

Although I like the big house and kitchen in this series, the next one will have a much smaller, vintage cottage on the San Juan Islands.  Here are a few inspiration photos I like from home, my happy place on Facebook...except I'd have beadboard for the kitchen backsplash instead of subway tiles.

« Last Edit: September 17, 2019, 12:06:15 AM by Lorri Moulton [Lavender Lass Books] »

The following users thanked this post: diisha392, Kristen.s.walker

Maggie Ann

« Reply #1042 on: September 17, 2019, 12:57:55 AM »

Definitely!  :goodpost:

I made a new cover yesterday!  Didn't get much writing done, but I did have 496 words from the night before.  About 1/5 of the way through my book.

Although I like the big house and kitchen in this series, the next one will have a much smaller, vintage cottage on the San Juan Islands.  Here are a few inspiration photos I like from home, my happy place on Facebook...except I'd have beadboard for the kitchen backsplash instead of subway tiles.

Love beadboard. Hate subway tile. The Property Brothers use way too much of it. I feel like I'm in a restroom in a public park.

Looking at the Victorian kitchens, the main thing seems to be freestanding tables and hutches. Appliances are a problem but they do have modern appliances with a Victorian or retro look. Too expensive for my (just starting out) buyers. I think I'll go with more of a mid-century modern look as if the kitchen had been modernized. Turquoise appliances, light-wood cabinets, speckled countertops (but quartz), and a table like this.

Lorri Moulton

« Reply #1043 on: September 17, 2019, 03:10:57 AM »
If you have white cabinets, then white appliances will just blend in and the focus can be on knobs, the wall color and vintage table and chairs.  This is one of my favorites...without the red range.  Love the table and chairs with the knobs and other accessories!

My characters have wonderful luck at estate or yard sales and second hand shops.  My grandmother could always find treasures at these places, so it can happen.  Especially in a book!   :angel:

notthatamanda

« Reply #1044 on: September 17, 2019, 03:52:02 AM »
I love the kitchen in Practical Magic.  And it opens up onto a greenhouse! Happy happy joy joy.

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #1045 on: September 17, 2019, 04:05:56 AM »

Someone needs to breed cats that stay kittens.

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #1046 on: September 17, 2019, 04:12:14 AM »
Space Opera: I wrote 50 words on Saturday but only 35 words on Sunday putting me in danger of being kicked out of this thread!

Semi-Gritty Urban Superhero Thing: I wrote 350 words on Saturday and 120 words on Sunday.  Working on a courtroom scene so I get to play a lawyer.  But, it's not modern day so I don't have to be a stickler for courtroom rules, laws and procedures and all that stuff.  Research, meh.  Who needs it?  ;)

Maggie Ann

« Reply #1047 on: September 17, 2019, 06:00:14 AM »
If you have white cabinets, then white appliances will just blend in and the focus can be on knobs, the wall color and vintage table and chairs.  This is one of my favorites...without the red range.  Love the table and chairs with the knobs and other accessories!

My characters have wonderful luck at estate or yard sales and second hand shops.  My grandmother could always find treasures at these places, so it can happen.  Especially in a book!   :angel:

Absolutely perfect. I'm printing it out and taping it to the wall next to me.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #1048 on: September 17, 2019, 06:02:02 AM »
I love the kitchen in Practical Magic.  And it opens up onto a greenhouse! Happy happy joy joy.

Yes! A Victorian house would have a conservatory/greenhouse off one room. I'll have to add that.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #1049 on: September 17, 2019, 06:03:47 AM »
Space Opera: I wrote 50 words on Saturday but only 35 words on Sunday putting me in danger of being kicked out of this thread!

Semi-Gritty Urban Superhero Thing: I wrote 350 words on Saturday and 120 words on Sunday.  Working on a courtroom scene so I get to play a lawyer.  But, it's not modern day so I don't have to be a stickler for courtroom rules, laws and procedures and all that stuff.  Research, meh.  Who needs it?  ;)

You wrote 155 words total on Sunday so you're safe.

You should watch the old Perry Mason series. Being a former paralegal, I sometimes cringe at the ethics violations he just blithely commits.