Author Topic: Proposed Rules Allow Hacking DRM to Fix Electronics  (Read 1151 times)

Post-Crisis D

Proposed Rules Allow Hacking DRM to Fix Electronics
« on: November 24, 2018, 05:08:50 AM »
This probably belongs in the Technology Forum but, oh, wait, we don't have one . . .

The Librarian of Congress and US Copyright Office just proposed new rules that will give consumers and independent repair experts wide latitude to legally hack embedded software on their devices in order to repair or maintain them. This exemption to copyright law will apply to smartphones, tractors, cars, smart home appliances, and many other devices.
Source: In Groundbreaking Decision, Feds Say Hacking DRM to Fix Your Electronics Is Legal

Right now, it appears it's limited to certain electronic devices.  I kind of hope one day they'll extend it to software as well.  For example, I have some software (under a perpetual license) that I bought and paid for that gets to be a real pain (activation and all that) when moving to a new computer.  My view is that I should be able to run the software I bought and paid for as long as I have a computer capable of running an operating system it will run under.
Mulder: "If you're distracted by fear of those around you, it keeps you from seeing the actions of those above."
The X-Files: "Blood"

catowned

Re: Proposed Rules Allow Hacking DRM to Fix Electronics
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2018, 05:36:03 AM »
^^^ Yes to that! Want to use the software I bought!

I thought the rule allowed for fixing hardware.

Post-Crisis D

Re: Proposed Rules Allow Hacking DRM to Fix Electronics
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2018, 08:44:40 AM »
I thought the rule allowed for fixing hardware.

It does.  But I'm hoping it eventually gets extended to software too.
Mulder: "If you're distracted by fear of those around you, it keeps you from seeing the actions of those above."
The X-Files: "Blood"