Author Topic: KB notification diversion  (Read 1892 times)

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
  • Earth Galaxy core, 2618
    • The Hunter Imperium Universe
KB notification diversion
« on: September 16, 2019, 03:35:52 PM »
I've not been to KB in a long time, but what Tobias is discussing there has for the first time since I left, made me read, and finally click the Notify button.

First email notification of a new post, and clicking the link brings up something I've not seen before.

Thunderbird identified the actual link being different from the text link.

The actual link embedded under the text goes somewhere totally different, and I assume is solely for mining data. And presumably, because I didn't try it, then redirects you to the actual link so fast you're not supposed to notice it.

Fortunately, the message from Thunderbird also gives the option to bypass the hidden link and go direct to the actual link.

But it's another indication of how toxic the people who now run Kboards are.
Genres: Space Opera/Fantasy/Cyberpunk, with elements of LitRPG and GameLit, with a touch of the Supernatural. Also Spiritual and Games.

Timothy Ellis Kindle Author page. | Join the Hunter Legacy mailing list | The Hunter Imperium Universe on Facebook. | Forum Promo Page.

The following users thanked this post: kenle

Maggie Ann

Re: KB notification diversion
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2019, 10:25:07 PM »
I've not been to KB in a long time, but what Tobias is discussing there has for the first time since I left, made me read, and finally click the Notify button.

First email notification of a new post, and clicking the link brings up something I've not seen before.

Thunderbird identified the actual link being different from the text link.

The actual link embedded under the text goes somewhere totally different, and I assume is solely for mining data. And presumably, because I didn't try it, then redirects you to the actual link so fast you're not supposed to notice it.

Fortunately, the message from Thunderbird also gives the option to bypass the hidden link and go direct to the actual link.

But it's another indication of how toxic the people who now run Kboards are.

That is so sad. I joined KB in August, 2008 when Leslie was trolling the Amazon boards to bring in members. (No, Leslie was definitely not a troll.) Everyone knew everyone and Harvey posted all the time. Kindle watch was one of our favorite passtimes.  :shrug

Oh, well, everything changes. At least we have you to thank for this safe haven, Tim.

Bill Hiatt

• Trilogy unlocked
  • Tickling the imagination one book at a time
    • Bill Hiatt's Author Website
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2019, 12:16:40 AM »
Very unfortunate. For the most part, I also stay away from KBoards now. I have from time to time wondered if we overreacted. Now I know for sure we didn't.

Tickling the imagination one book at a time
Bill Hiatt | fiction website | education website | Facebook author page | Twitter

The following users thanked this post: LeonardDHilleyII

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2019, 03:58:45 AM »
I'm not sure that necessarily indicates anything nefarious.  I know that if I send a message from my mailing list provider and include a link, the text link in the eMail and the actual link don't match because it first goes through the mailing list provider's site to a special URL that records the click so I know how many clicks I get on a link and who clicked it.

I don't know about thread notifications on KB, but in checking my old eMails, I see in their blog notifications, they switched from using direct links to redirect links in November of 2016.
Mulder: "If you're distracted by fear of those around you, it keeps you from seeing the actions of those above."
The X-Files: "Blood"

LeonardDHilleyII

• Blurb unlocked
    • Leonard D. Hilley II Author Website
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2020, 12:02:56 AM »
Very unfortunate. For the most part, I also stay away from KBoards now. I have from time to time wondered if we overreacted. Now I know for sure we didn't.
I agree. Great covers, BTW!

Jessica

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2020, 12:40:04 PM »
KBoards is full of trackers, scripts and ads. A redirect in a notification might be of lesser concern, honestly.
Avatar Photo by Allef Vinicius on Unsplash