Author Topic: Is anyone using Zoho forever free email?  (Read 2119 times)

notthatamanda

Is anyone using Zoho forever free email?
« on: January 13, 2021, 05:13:16 AM »
I have a wordpress.com site, which recommended mail chimp, but I need some emails. I ended up on zoho which has this:

FOREVER FREE PLAN
Up to five users, 5GB/User, 25MB attachment limit.
Web access and free mobile apps*.
Email hosting for single domain.

Five users sounds like plenty, as does the 5GB. I don't know what I will do with free mobile apps, other than have a stroke trying to make them work.

My end goal is to have a couple of emails:
ntamanda@ntamanda.com
 info@ntamanda.com
donotreply@ntamanda.com

All I want is to be able to send an email to my 10 ( :banana:) mailing list subscribers and have an email that it is coming from that is not my personal email. Am I missing something or can I make it work with this?

Thanks for the help--your local wordpress idiot

djmills

Re: Is anyone using Zoho forever free email?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2021, 05:25:29 AM »
I use zoho for the same purpose as you.
I set it up to forward any emails via zoho to one of my personal email addresses.
I try to remember to go into zoho every few months to delete all the spam emails. :-)
Diane J Cornwell - Fiction
D J Mills - Non Fiction
Tift Publishing
Amazon

The following users thanked this post: notthatamanda

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2021, 06:54:32 AM »
All I want is to be able to send an email to my 10 ( :banana:) mailing list subscribers and have an email that it is coming from that is not my personal email. Am I missing something or can I make it work with this?

I use Zoho for precisely that.  Yes, you can make it work.  All you need is a domain name.

For me, the hard part was configuring Zoho and NameSilo to play nicely together, but I eventually figured it out.  Just don't ask me to do it again.
v  v  v  v  v    Short Stories    v  v  v  v  v    vv FREE! vv

Genres: Science Fiction, Fantasy (some day) | Author Website

Matthew

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2021, 06:58:04 AM »
I would caution against sending mail from a free account like that. You're likely to trigger some anti-spam, even if you're not sending a lot of mail per hour. Also per their terms of service, you must provide an unsubscribe button: https://www.zoho.com/policy.html

You're better off using a purpose-built tool, such as "Campaigns" (though I imagine it's not free): https://www.zoho.com/campaigns/list-management.html

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2021, 07:09:41 AM »
I would caution against sending mail from a free account like that. You're likely to trigger some anti-spam, even if you're not sending a lot of mail per hour. Also per their terms of service, you must provide an unsubscribe button: https://www.zoho.com/policy.html

I use it in conjunction with TinyLetter, so the unsubscribe button is built in.  But yeah, you definitely want to use a mailing list provider.
v  v  v  v  v    Short Stories    v  v  v  v  v    vv FREE! vv

Genres: Science Fiction, Fantasy (some day) | Author Website

notthatamanda

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2021, 09:02:56 AM »
Thank you for the caution. I'm not sending email from the free account, I'm using Mailchimp. I need the free email account to show as the email it sent from, right now Mailchimp will just use my personal email. Does that make sense? Thanks, Amanda

Writer

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2021, 09:25:25 AM »
I've used Zoho for a couple years now with no issues. Mailerlite is my newsletter provider but all replies to my newsletters (as well as the public Contact form on my website) come to my Zoho account.

BlueWren

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2021, 12:05:50 PM »
I've used Zoho for a couple years now with no issues. Mailerlite is my newsletter provider but all replies to my newsletters (as well as the public Contact form on my website) come to my Zoho account.

I use it the same way. I use Zoho's interface as my mailbox for my domain email address where I can send and receive emails, but all newsletters get sent out through Mailerlite. Hasn't caused me any issues the past few years.

Matthew

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2021, 01:57:42 PM »
Thank you for the caution. I'm not sending email from the free account, I'm using Mailchimp. I need the free email account to show as the email it sent from, right now Mailchimp will just use my personal email. Does that make sense? Thanks, Amanda
Oh, sorry for the confusion. This shouldn't be any problem at all :) That's how I've set it up, and I use the Zoho email for direct communication with readers as well.

notthatamanda

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2021, 04:31:15 AM »
I'm trying to set it up. Following wordpress.com directions I click on my domain name and I'm supposed to get an option to change your name servers and dns records. I don't get that. I just get

Change site address or
Pick a custom domain

Is this because I have the free wordpress.com account? It didn't say anything in the info about using Zoho that you need the paid account. I'm at a road block. Thanks in advance for the help.
Amanda

Matthew

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2021, 04:44:59 AM »
I'm trying to set it up. Following wordpress.com directions I click on my domain name and I'm supposed to get an option to change your name servers and dns records. I don't get that. I just get

Change site address or
Pick a custom domain

Is this because I have the free wordpress.com account? It didn't say anything in the info about using Zoho that you need the paid account. I'm at a road block. Thanks in advance for the help.
Amanda
Hello, did you purchase the domain name through wordpress.com? You will need to update the records through which ever company you purchased the domain through. Here's an article I found for domains purchased through Wordpress.com: https://wordpress.com/support/domains/custom-dns/

As I haven't purchased a name myself through wordpress.com I can't give any more direct insight. Let me know if the article above helps you through the process though. If you still can't figure everything out you may need to give someone with more technical experience access to your account to set it up.

Denise

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2021, 05:09:34 AM »
I use Zoho. Never had any problems with it. Its the email I use with newsletter providers.

notthatamanda

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2021, 05:21:04 AM »

Change site address or
Pick a custom domain

Amanda
Hello, did you purchase the domain name through wordpress.com? You will need to update the records through which ever company you purchased the domain through. Here's an article I found for domains purchased through Wordpress.com: https://wordpress.com/support/domains/custom-dns/

As I haven't purchased a name myself through wordpress.com I can't give any more direct insight. Let me know if the article above helps you through the process though. If you still can't figure everything out you may need to give someone with more technical experience access to your account to set it up.
Oh, I bought it through google. Thanks so much. I think I'm done challenging myself for today. Back at it tomorrow.

Matthew

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2021, 06:40:51 AM »
Oh, I bought it through google. Thanks so much. I think I'm done challenging myself for today. Back at it tomorrow.
Depending on the records you need to set, this help article may be what you need: https://support.google.com/domains/answer/9211383?hl=en

I will say sometimes the domain registrar does not provide comprehensive changing of DNS records, in which case you may need to setup a 3rd party DNS service and associate that with your domain. Better to avoid doing this, if possible. Start with the above first.

notthatamanda

« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2021, 05:05:29 AM »
So now I have a mailchimp problem, I think.  I went to try to set up zoho on my google domain name. Zoho says to change the TXT in the DNS. I couldn't find anything referencing TXT in the DNS so I went clicking around and found that google would let me add an email address right there. So I did that. Then I went back to mailchimp and started a campaign. It has to verify that I can use notthatamanda@notthatamanda.net before it will accept it. So it sent me a verification code. Google forwarded that mail with the code from mailchimp to my private email account, so the google side is working, but I can't seem to get mailchimp to accept the verification code. Tried multiple times, it sent me two codes, it puts me in a loop where it says if you already have a code, click here, then it wants to send me another code.

Edit - it's working now. I did exactly the same thing I tried earlier but this time mailchimp didn't feel like messing with me I guess. One step closer to my first newsletter email thingy.  :banana:
« Last Edit: January 26, 2021, 06:08:40 AM by notthatamanda »

The following users thanked this post: Lorri Moulton