Author Topic: Shipping for nonprime members going up.  (Read 452 times)

APP

Shipping for nonprime members going up.
« on: August 30, 2023, 01:31:30 AM »
I use to have Prime, but I dropped it this year, deciding I would always buy enough to quality for free shipping.

Amazon raises free shipping minimum to $35 for some customers who don’t have Prime

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/08/28/amazon-hikes-free-shipping-minimum-to-35-for-some-users-without-prime.html

LilyBLily

Re: Shipping for nonprime members going up.
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2023, 02:17:04 AM »
Amazon seems to rock back and forth on that. Sometimes it has been $25 and sometimes $35 already.

elleoco

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2023, 02:48:07 AM »
It's never been a problem for me to order a group of things at once if necessary to meet the minimum for free shipping. By accepting every offer for a free 30 days of Prime they wave at me and then canceling before having to pay, I've discovered most things aren't delivered any faster with Prime. Recently some things aren't shipped very quickly, Prime or not.

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2023, 03:55:47 AM »
I thought it was $35 already too.  But, upon checking, I got free shipping on my last order of just over $25 in 2020, so I maybe it was someone else that did free shipping on a $35 order.

I just looked and it's still $25 for me but that might be because the Amazon warehouse is like a few streets away.  Used to be a farm with an interesting looking barn I wish I had taken a photo of before they tore everything down and built this giant eyesore with a huge parking lot.
Mulder: "If you're distracted by fear of those around you, it keeps you from seeing the actions of those above."
The X-Files: "Blood"

LilyBLily

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2023, 04:49:43 AM »
It's never been a problem for me to order a group of things at once if necessary to meet the minimum for free shipping. By accepting every offer for a free 30 days of Prime they wave at me and then canceling before having to pay, I've discovered most things aren't delivered any faster with Prime. Recently some things aren't shipped very quickly, Prime or not.

Same here. Prime delivery is a joke where I live, and I don't need or want the other things that come with Prime. 

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2023, 07:29:10 AM »
Amazon seems to rock back and forth on that. Sometimes it has been $25 and sometimes $35 already.

If I recall correctly, they went to 35 years ago, but then Walmart offered 25, so Amazon went back to 25.
v  v  v  v  v    Short Stories    v  v  v  v  v    vv FREE! vv

Genres: Science Fiction, Fantasy (some day) | Author Website

Bill Hiatt

• Trilogy unlocked
  • Tickling the imagination one book at a time
    • Bill Hiatt's Author Website
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2023, 12:08:52 AM »
Except during the Pandemic, I've had good luck with Prime speeds. (When they say I'll get it the same day, I usually do.) But I'm in the Los Angeles area, and Amazon has its own delivery system plus USPS plus UPS plus Fedex to work with--a lot of customers, but also a lot of trucks.

Tickling the imagination one book at a time
Bill Hiatt | fiction website | Facebook author page |

cecilia_writer

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2023, 01:17:44 AM »
Our Prime deliveries here are very much better than any other deliveries. They are reliable and fast, and the staff are pleasant and know to leave parcels in a sensible place if we don't answer the door. I think it's because we have a massive Amazon warehouse not very many miles away and we live just off a main road in and out of Edinburgh.
Cecilia Peartree - Woman of Mystery

LilyBLily

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2023, 03:53:12 AM »
Whereas I live out in the boondocks, and yes, Amazon Prime trucks do get here, but nothing is same day and weekend deliveries are iffy. There's an Amazon warehouse about 20 miles away--nearby, by our reckoning--but it's in the boondocks, too, even though it's right off a major interstate.

It makes sense that Amazon raised and then dropped its free shipping floor when faced with Walmart's competition. Competition is why we get 70% on our books, because some other company (Apple?) went to that rate and Amazon matched it. Hooray for competition!

The following users thanked this post: Lynn, Jeff Tanyard

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2023, 05:28:00 AM »
Competition is why we get 70% on our books, because some other company (Apple?) went to that rate and Amazon matched it. Hooray for competition!

:cheers
v  v  v  v  v    Short Stories    v  v  v  v  v    vv FREE! vv

Genres: Science Fiction, Fantasy (some day) | Author Website