Author Topic: The Garden Thread that two people wanted  (Read 11359 times)

notthatamanda

Re: The Garden Thread that two people wanted
« Reply #450 on: March 22, 2021, 09:18:49 AM »
Not sure if this is garden or not, but one of my maple trees gave me 2 gallons of sap in 24 hours. That was unexpected. No freezing temps in the next 10 day forecast so sap is probably close to done. I think it will be a good year, but I was partially boiling whenever I got any since December, so I don't have any idea how much syrup we will end up with.

Edit - some more seeds are sprouting including the cilantro. Bunnies will be happy.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2021, 01:35:11 AM by notthatamanda »

idontknowyet

« Reply #451 on: March 26, 2021, 09:29:13 AM »
My potatoes are sending up shoots.

Wow do broc produce an amazing amount of seeds. I'm going to have enough for decades from just one plant.

Got 6 eggplants in today. Had eggs delivered so i can plant my tomatoes tomorrow. Going to put the squash in tomorrow or the next day.

Still need to turn the dirt over for sweet potatoes corn and watermelon.

LilyBLily

« Reply #452 on: March 27, 2021, 12:22:41 PM »
We have a zillion daffodils blooming. Also crocuses, scillas, hyacinths, the very first grape hyacinths, and tons of blue-and-pink pulmonarias. The pulmonarias seem impervious to drought or rain and--best of all--the deer leave them alone. Spring has officially sprung.

I have a couple dozen tomato seedlings on a windowsill and nowhere outside with enough sun for their future except the deck--which is rather small and thus not suitable for two dozen pots even if I had the patience to water them individually. It's way too soon to put them outside, so I have some time to come up with a solution.

notthatamanda

« Reply #453 on: March 27, 2021, 11:00:58 PM »
Tulips are coming up here and possible two peony shoots so far. Salvia is too. My neighbor gave me some heirloom tomato seeds - brandy wine. Sweet potatoes are doing nothing on the windowsill. Ditto for the regular potato I'm trying to start in the cupboard. One of the lilacs I transplanted in the fall is budding, one is not. So far I'm keeping up with the tomato seedlings, but I can't put them out till mid to late May so I've got plenty of time to screw it up.

idontknowyet

« Reply #454 on: March 29, 2021, 09:05:45 AM »
Tulips are coming up here and possible two peony shoots so far. Salvia is too. My neighbor gave me some heirloom tomato seeds - brandy wine. Sweet potatoes are doing nothing on the windowsill. Ditto for the regular potato I'm trying to start in the cupboard. One of the lilacs I transplanted in the fall is budding, one is not. So far I'm keeping up with the tomato seedlings, but I can't put them out till mid to late May so I've got plenty of time to screw it up.
Regular potatoes take weeks and weeks to eye. You need to keep them in a semi warm location. The cooler the less likely they are to eye.

notthatamanda

« Reply #455 on: March 29, 2021, 12:04:50 PM »
Hmm...I cut one up and planted it outside so once it gets warm it gets warm. If I keep the tomatoes going I won't have to buy flats of those and I can spend the tomato money on seed potatoes, if they don't run out of stock really fast like they did last year.

Jan Hurst-Nicholson

• Long Novel unlocked
  • Don't let your emotions overpower your intellect
    • Just4kix Books
« Reply #456 on: March 30, 2021, 03:18:00 AM »
While I was busy taking a pic of the monkey eating bird seed, another one sneaked into my kitchen and had a go at my bananas.  :icon_rolleyes:

Non-fiction, Fiction, family saga, humour, short stories, teen, children's
Jan Hurst-Nicholson | author website

notthatamanda

« Reply #457 on: March 30, 2021, 03:34:18 AM »
Oh lordie, we had baby raccoons in our bedroom at 2 in the morning. My friend had a duck come down her chimney and get stuck in her house. I don't think I could handle a monkey.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #458 on: March 30, 2021, 04:55:55 AM »
If the banana had this guy, he could have made his escape!

:banana-riding-llama-smiley-em

My neighbor trapped 32 raccoons over a period of a few months.  He took them out west to vacant land and released them.

notthatamanda

« Reply #459 on: March 30, 2021, 05:10:18 AM »
It's a long story but the end of it is my husband trapped lots of squirrels in our attic. He'd take them down to this huge plot of town land. One times the cops came down the dirt road to see what he was doing. What he was doing was swearing mightily at the squirrel who wouldn't leave the have a heart trap.

Jan Hurst-Nicholson

• Long Novel unlocked
  • Don't let your emotions overpower your intellect
    • Just4kix Books
« Reply #460 on: March 30, 2021, 05:39:13 AM »
Oh lordie, we had baby raccoons in our bedroom at 2 in the morning. My friend had a duck come down her chimney and get stuck in her house. I don't think I could handle a monkey.

We haven't got chimneys, but I've found frogs in my dog's water bowl in the kitchen, a land crab strolled in one night, doves have wandered in looking for food and also had snakes on the veranda (harmless ones). But the monkeys are the sneakiest. My fault for leaving the burglar gate open.  :icon_rolleyes:

Non-fiction, Fiction, family saga, humour, short stories, teen, children's
Jan Hurst-Nicholson | author website

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #461 on: March 30, 2021, 06:24:33 AM »
I don't think I could handle a monkey.

Yeah, same here.  Non-human primates give me the willies.  I saw the baboons in South Africa up close and personal, and that was enough for me, thanks.
v  v  v  v  v    Short Stories    v  v  v  v  v    vv FREE! vv

Genres: Science Fiction, Fantasy (some day) | Author Website

Vijaya

« Reply #462 on: March 30, 2021, 07:10:34 AM »

Gosh, Amanda. Baby raccoons are adorable. But destructive too. We've gotten squirrels and rats out of attic/roof spaces. But I love monkeys and dreamed of having a pet monkey as a kid. And in my PB, Little Thief, I get to live my childhood dream. See:

Author of over 100 books and magazine pieces, primarily for children
Vijaya Bodach | Personal Blog | Bodach Books

notthatamanda

« Reply #463 on: March 30, 2021, 11:08:13 AM »
Nope, don't like raccoons. My friend's pappy chased off one that was probably rabid with a rake. Another friend got bit by one and had to get rabies shots.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #464 on: April 02, 2021, 07:41:01 AM »
Desert Rose (Adenium) seeds came in the mail yesterday. Very specific instructions and they said there were a lot of videos on youtube.

Spent quite a while looking at several videos and decided to split the seeds up utilizing two methods. Sand method and paper towel method. Seems they grow well in sand. But all the videos said to use fungicide liberally. Luckily, I have some but not the powder they recommend. We'll see.

One video said that not one seed germinated bought from Amazon. That's why I'm trying two methods.

If the seeds don't germinate in a week, both HD and Lowe's have the plants. The videos I watched had instructions for removing the seeds from the mature plants.

notthatamanda

« Reply #465 on: April 03, 2021, 07:38:53 AM »
Ginger I planted finally popped up a shoot!
And it snowed a little bit today. So not getting anything outside anytime soon.

LilyBLily

« Reply #466 on: April 03, 2021, 12:28:48 PM »
This little cold snap we're having is giving some of the flowers a hard time; I expect to see nipped hyacinths tomorrow and I'm wondering if the pathetic lilac, which never has more than a few blooms, will lose them to frost. Most of our spring garden consists of daffodils; they'll be fine.

At least one large field of peaches was in full bloom yesterday down the road a bit; I wonder if the orchardists do anything (does anyone do smudge pots anymore?) to protect them? It's supposed to go into the twenties tonight. This may be winter's last gasp.

idontknowyet

« Reply #467 on: April 04, 2021, 01:11:08 PM »
Hmm...I cut one up and planted it outside so once it gets warm it gets warm. If I keep the tomatoes going I won't have to buy flats of those and I can spend the tomato money on seed potatoes, if they don't run out of stock really fast like they did last year.
Did you cure it after  you cut it? If you didn't its probably rotting in the ground.

idontknowyet

« Reply #468 on: April 04, 2021, 01:16:30 PM »
Put my final bed of regular potatoes in today. All I have left is sweet potatoes but its still a bit too cold here still.

Dug up the only potatoes that I didn't manage to kill over the winter. Note to self cover the plant when it gets below freezing. They look perfect. Can't wait for this bunch to be ready in June-July!

My overwintered pepper plant already has 4 fully grown peppers on it and a dozen more babies peppers on it. This is my new favorite thing ever. Also had a eggplant that didnt grow all winter but is now gigantic. Have a half dozen or more little eggplants on it already. Going to plant a dozen in containers next fall.

LilyBLily

« Reply #469 on: April 04, 2021, 02:03:55 PM »
The amaryllis I have in a pot (maybe this is its third year?) looks ready to bloom. Very long dormant period--I don't think it bloomed at all last year--but now there's a lot of action, new greenery and a definite flower bud. I think it has red and white stripes. Could take weeks to bloom.

notthatamanda

« Reply #470 on: April 05, 2021, 11:58:12 PM »
Did you cure it after  you cut it? If you didn't its probably rotting in the ground.
If by cure you mean dry it out for a couple of days on a plate, I didn't. It wasn't the most well thought out plan. But I have one in the cupboard in a ziploc bag and a wet paper towel that seems to be sprouting. And one of my sweet potatoes is too! The other one has tons of roots growing in the water. I'm not sure I can grow sweet potatoes up here, but I'll stick it in the ground in May and see what happens.

LilyBLily

« Reply #471 on: April 06, 2021, 12:34:45 AM »
Orange Kaufman tulips popped this morning. It's going to be so warm today they might be blown by evening.

notthatamanda

« Reply #472 on: April 06, 2021, 01:04:37 AM »
I googled but couldn't find them. Do they go by another name?

I emptied most of the earth machine into the garden and covered it up. It's a month and a half at least until I can plant so it should be really good once it's time. Found one big fat worm who is destined to become a legend in worm folklore. Biggest feast ever.