Author Topic: 50+ words a day...no matter what!  (Read 141119 times)

Lorri Moulton

• Epic Novel unlocked
  • Author of Romance, Fantasy, Mystery, and Suspense
Re: 50+ words a day...no matter what!
« Reply #2100 on: February 24, 2021, 08:03:00 AM »
Another 1300 words for the short story.  It's almost done...just needs one more edit and maybe a few more details.

Author of Romance, Fantasy, Mystery, Suspense and Historical Non-Fiction.

Lorri Moulton

• Epic Novel unlocked
« Reply #2101 on: February 25, 2021, 08:36:30 AM »
Finished and submitted to the anthology!  So nice to get this one done early.  I hate deadlines.  :catrun

The following users thanked this post: Post-Crisis D

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #2102 on: February 25, 2021, 10:59:52 AM »
Wrote 1,495 words yesterday.  Had I known I was that close, I could have come up with another five words to finish out the day at 1,500.

For today so far, I am at 1,090.  February's word count has already bested January's.  And still have five days left plus the rest of today.  I am also more than halfway to reaching last year's word count as well.
Mulder: "If you're distracted by fear of those around you, it keeps you from seeing the actions of those above."
The X-Files: "Blood"

The following users thanked this post: Lorri Moulton

Juniper B

« Reply #2103 on: February 26, 2021, 12:21:43 PM »
412 words today. :)

notthatamanda

« Reply #2104 on: February 27, 2021, 12:41:11 AM »
510 on the short story/reader magnet.

What do you guys do about previews at the end of your reader magnets? Is it okay to put three chapters of a full length book at the end? That will be as much as the short story + or -.

Lorri Moulton

• Epic Novel unlocked
« Reply #2105 on: February 27, 2021, 09:24:27 AM »
600 words today!  Finally starting book 2.

The following users thanked this post: Post-Crisis D, Wonder

Juniper B

« Reply #2106 on: February 27, 2021, 12:54:15 PM »
376 words today.

The following users thanked this post: Lorri Moulton, Wonder

Juniper B

« Reply #2107 on: February 28, 2021, 11:26:19 AM »
960 words today.

Lorri Moulton

• Epic Novel unlocked
« Reply #2108 on: March 01, 2021, 06:06:24 AM »
375 words so far.  Hope to get more done this afternoon!

Lorri Moulton

• Epic Novel unlocked
« Reply #2109 on: March 01, 2021, 10:57:14 AM »
Another 1500 words.  Not bad for a Sunday!  :dog1:

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #2110 on: March 02, 2021, 03:14:29 AM »
In January, I managed an average of 822.35 words per day, which gave me 25% of 2020's total word count in just one month.

In February, I tried for at least 1,000 words per day.  Worst day ended up being 1,005 words.  But, I managed an average of 1,226.46 words per day for the month.  So, in the first two months of 2021, I am already at 59% of 2020's total word count.

Will probably slow down this month.  Need to try to finish up a book I had hoped to release next month.  Have a beta reader lined up (I think) so kind of need to finish it so it can be read and then still released in time.  Also, I really, really, really need to figure out how to straighten out this lame space opera.  It's approaching 90k and was only supposed to be 30k.  As for the serious space opera, I don't know.  And then I need to see if I can figure out the plotting and an outline for the prospective romance or rom-com.  Oh, also was supposed to release a newsletter this month.
Mulder: "If you're distracted by fear of those around you, it keeps you from seeing the actions of those above."

notthatamanda

« Reply #2111 on: March 02, 2021, 04:13:14 AM »
133 on the short story/reader magnet. Not much but I finished the light edit on book 2 of the trilogy. Have to update the back matter (add website and mailing list sign up) so I have a certain feeling of accomplishment.

Trying to devote some thinking time to what I will write next.  I had an idea for another psych thriller that I liked. I had been thinking I would continue with book 3 in the story I am writing now, but I'm dubious I will ever sell any of book 2. Now that I've reread the trilogy I've been thinking I should maybe continue with those characters.

Juniper B

« Reply #2112 on: March 05, 2021, 02:57:26 PM »
693 words today.

Lorri Moulton

• Epic Novel unlocked
« Reply #2113 on: March 07, 2021, 11:33:28 AM »
612 words today!

The following users thanked this post: Post-Crisis D

Juniper B

« Reply #2114 on: March 14, 2021, 10:37:02 AM »
723 words today.

notthatamanda

« Reply #2115 on: March 23, 2021, 03:57:12 AM »
622 I took a couple of minutes and outlined the short story I'm working on for a reader magnet. Now I know what I'm doing. Hopefully better word counts coming but today I simply had to devote some time to unclogging the washing machine filter. Laundry is not a hobby.

notthatamanda

« Reply #2116 on: March 24, 2021, 01:28:33 AM »
1066. Doing the outline really helped. I may write some more this afternoon, outside on the deck  :banana:

Lorri Moulton

• Epic Novel unlocked
« Reply #2117 on: March 24, 2021, 02:39:42 AM »
1066. Doing the outline really helped. I may write some more this afternoon, outside on the deck  :banana:

:goodpost:

notthatamanda

« Reply #2118 on: March 24, 2021, 04:34:12 AM »

:goodpost:
Thanks. I just realized I have a major timeline problem. Got to sleep on it.

Lorri Moulton

• Epic Novel unlocked
« Reply #2119 on: March 28, 2021, 04:26:47 AM »
944 words last night!

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #2120 on: April 02, 2021, 05:21:12 AM »
For March, my target was 1,000 words per day.  Worst day was 1,015 and best was 2,495.  Was disappointed on that last one.  Had I known I was so close, I could have written at least another five words.

Words were spread among multiple projects.

One was the lame space opera.  On that, I tried for at least 500 words per day.  Worst day was 525 and best was 1,310.  I keep saying this, but I really need to stop writing it and straighten it out.  The more I write, the more it goes off the rails and not in a good way.  It's a mess.  It was supposed to be 30k and done and it's up to almost 115k now.

I also worked on my book of poetry.  Goal was an April release.  Reasonably sure it's not going to make it.  Need to add humor to it and I'm just not having much luck in that regard.

I also wrote two short stories.  Together, the two totaled 500 words.  I also finished a short story I started in February.  That one clocked in at 7,625 words.  For the year so far, I've written 31 stories for my newsletter.  I need to work on assembling one to see how many stories I need to fill an issue.

I did eek out a small improvement in daily word count.  Went from a daily average in December of 197 to 822 in January, 1226 in February and 1231 in March.

And, because 156 WIPs simply aren't enough, I also added a superhero tale to the mix.

notthatamanda

« Reply #2121 on: April 02, 2021, 09:51:07 PM »
Dan, you didn't ask for advice, so ignore if you want. When I'm struggling with the story I make myself take 15 minutes and write an outline. It isn't much, a sentence or two for what each chapter is about. Thinking about the story that way helps me see what I need to do.
Hope that helps, sorry if it doesn't.

The following users thanked this post: Lorri Moulton, Post-Crisis D

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #2122 on: April 03, 2021, 02:19:45 AM »
Dan, you didn't ask for advice, so ignore if you want. When I'm struggling with the story I make myself take 15 minutes and write an outline. It isn't much, a sentence or two for what each chapter is about. Thinking about the story that way helps me see what I need to do.

Tried that back in January.  Put together a list of just the chapter titles to summarize each and try to organize it.  And, ugh, it was such a mess.  And, now, I don't even know how many actual chapters I have because I've been slipping in chapters and, instead of renumbering the chapters, which would require renumbering all the chapters, I opted to renumber later and so the insertions are stuff like chapter whatever point five.  Then, in some parts, I stuffed more in, so I might have chapter point two five.  And sometimes I slipped in a chapter between existing insertions, so I have some chapters number whatever point eight seven five.

The lame space opera was supposed to be a quick book.  I had a handful of different shorts.  All I had to do was tie them together, merge characters, stuff like that.  And since three of the stories already used the same characters, shouldn't have been too hard.  The existing material put me at 24k so a target of 30k to tie it all together seemed reasonable.  Now it may be a hopeless mess.  And my apparent inability to do humor anymore doesn't help.

Also, I still have the romance story I want to write but I can't figure out the outline for that one.

And, because 156 WIPs simply aren't enough, I also added a superhero tale to the mix.

I've decided to serialize the superhero tale in my newsletter rather than do it as a novel.  Still makes it a WIP, but won't have to worry about covers or blurbs or whether anyone will buy it.  So, yay.

notthatamanda

« Reply #2123 on: April 28, 2021, 01:27:52 AM »
Started my screenplay adaptation of my first novel. 1190 words yesterday, 721 today. After lunch I'll take a stab at a montage.

Side note - screenplay formatting really wants me want to write soliloquys for my characters that go on for a page and a half. Freaking tedious.

Another 692 and I got to write them sitting out on the deck.  :banana: But...I think I really need to scrap the gentler ending I came up with for the original brutal one.  :icon_eek:
« Last Edit: April 28, 2021, 06:32:10 AM by notthatamanda »

notthatamanda

« Reply #2124 on: April 29, 2021, 03:41:19 AM »
Deleted a scene, rewrote it and wrote one more. Net 692 same as yesterday. WEIRD!

20+ pages in on a target of 125 pages. Definitely goes faster than a novel even with the  :HB formatting.

notthatamanda

« Reply #2125 on: May 01, 2021, 03:36:57 AM »
1568 today. 31 pages out of about 125 +/-.

notthatamanda

« Reply #2126 on: May 04, 2021, 03:17:22 AM »
528 on the screenplay adaptation.
Speaking of seeing your stories on a screen.

notthatamanda

« Reply #2127 on: May 06, 2021, 01:53:29 AM »
889 and I got the page numbering right. Thanks Lynn!

The following users thanked this post: Lynn, Lorri Moulton

notthatamanda

« Reply #2128 on: May 07, 2021, 01:47:22 AM »
1050. More than a third done on page count.

notthatamanda

« Reply #2129 on: May 08, 2021, 01:25:31 AM »
627 words. 47 pages out of 125 ish.