Author Topic: Best headset for dictation?  (Read 4431 times)

kdiem

Best headset for dictation?
« on: October 17, 2018, 02:52:40 AM »
I'm have had terrible luck with the default headset that came with my Dragon. While the typos make a funny Twitter post from time to time, I'd really rather not spend all my time "fixing" it. Plus, I need to move to wireless for health reasons.

Can anyone recommend a good WIRELESS headset/microphone at less than 200$ for dictation?

Nice to have: Noise canceling ON THE MIC since I have dogs and a kid and don't need noisy grooming (oh, doggies) or playing interfering.

Author. Bibliophile. Fangirl.
Karen Diem | website | Facebook | Twitter | Pinterest | Goodreads

NathanBurrows

Re: Best headset for dictation?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2018, 03:59:36 AM »
It's not wireless, but this Logitech one is the one that I've got - very happy with it (as are 4,653 other customers on Amazon). It's $20. Don't expect wonders from the noise cancelling element though, especially for sporadic loud noises like dogs and kids. It'll quieten down humming in the background (fridges, computer fans etc), but not sudden loud noises. No noise cancelling mics can really do that anyway, so it's not a fault of this model as such, more of the technology.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000UXZQ42

NCB

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2018, 04:31:29 AM »
It's not wireless, but this Logitech one is the one that I've got - very happy with it (as are 4,653 other customers on Amazon). It's $20. Don't expect wonders from the noise cancelling element though, especially for sporadic loud noises like dogs and kids. It'll quieten down humming in the background (fridges, computer fans etc), but not sudden loud noises. No noise cancelling mics can really do that anyway, so it's not a fault of this model as such, more of the technology.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000UXZQ42

I'll second this, I used one of these for a long time for online gaming, what I especially liked was that it was light and comfortable, my ears get very hot under some headsets. I think I must have had thosands of hours with it whilst fighting my World Of Warcraft addiction for about three years. I wouldn't spend any more to be honest as I'm sure this will do what you want.

Mine ended up eaten by a dog!

Maggie Ann

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2018, 05:15:26 AM »
This is the wireless headset my grandson uses for gaming. Should be good for dictation, too. $99.99

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0748N6796/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The following users thanked this post: kdiem

ImaWriter

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2018, 06:09:51 AM »
I don't use BT either. I either use a Plantronics C610-M, which you likely can't even buy anymore or the Dragon Mic app I have on my phone. That's my preference, and it works amazingly well--at least for me. I'm still using Dragon12 on Win7 so YMMV.

If you are determined to use BT, here is an excellent video I stumbled across lately. I'm about to upgrade Dragon and was doing some research. It's basically telling you that unless your system meets some specific hardware/software requirements, and your BT device makes use of something called Far Field, BT is not recommended for Dragon.

Pandorra

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2018, 06:42:35 AM »
I use Dragon and it works wireless so I can move around when I am 'writing'.

Dean Rencraft | Authors in Motion

kdiem

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2018, 07:02:39 AM »
I use Dragon and it works wireless so I can move around when I am 'writing'.

What microphone/headset are you using?

Pandorra

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2018, 02:56:11 PM »
There really is only one good one that comes with Dragon and its the medical one, but it's nearly perfect in dictation and I can run my PC from across the room as well. A bit pricey, but keep in mind I use mine for a lot more than writing because of my vision. I got this about six months ago from a friend and I don't think I will ever use anything else. (ETA: I think some of the people here use wireless dictation when they travel and have had luck and its prbly not as expensive but I never tried them so ask around..or keep asking .. lol)

https://www.amazon.com/Philips-SpeechMike-Wireless-Dictation-Microphone/dp/B07654LB3X/

or you get get the entire package here: https://www.amazon.com/Practice-SpeechMike-Wireless-Dictation-Microphone/dp/B0798SWT5F
« Last Edit: October 17, 2018, 03:03:39 PM by Pandorra »

Dave MacRae

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2018, 04:14:05 PM »
I use this:

Sennheiser MB Pro1 UC Bluetooth Headset with Dongle

It has the best accuracy of any mic I have used. I tested it against my xlr condenser mics I use for music. I use it with the usb plug instead of the bluetooth built in to my mac.

I also use it for transcription with my iphone. I tested it with the usb connected with a lightning usb camera connection kit and got near 100 percent accuracy in transcription. I then tried paired directly to iphone bluetooth and still got over 98 percent accuracy. It is now my favorite mic. It is lightweight and I can wear it all day. Also it has built in noise reduction so it works just as well with some noise. I do not have to turn my AC in my office off. I also can walk around which is the benefit why I got the bluetooth. I have RSI and sitting for long periods are hard on me but now I can walk arount.

p.s. I am a member of Scott Baker's facebook group "Dragon Riders - Authors Dictating". We discussed this headset there and it is one of the few, and in my opinion the best bluetooth headset for dictating. It is a great group to learn all about dictation and transcription.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2018, 05:59:32 PM by Dave MacRae »

The following users thanked this post: Pandorra, kdiem

guest819

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2018, 04:22:00 PM »
With headsets, like in all things, you get what you pay for. I used to run a professional gaming establishment and we all used the Plantronics headsets. We also had professional musicians and they would use top-range Plantronics along with a turtleBeach soundcard. I like the product.

You probably want these if you just need headphones
https://www.amazon.com/Plantronics-Wireless-Noise-Cancelling-Backbeat/dp/B01MY4P9EZ
These are another excellent make and much cheaper but with mike
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MSZSL4I

Maggie Ann

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2018, 01:52:57 AM »
I use this:

Sennheiser MB Pro1 UC Bluetooth Headset with Dongle

It has the best accuracy of any mic I have used. I tested it against my xlr condenser mics I use for music. I use it with the usb plug instead of the bluetooth built in to my mac.

I also use it for transcription with my iphone. I tested it with the usb connected with a lightning usb camera connection kit and got near 100 percent accuracy in transcription. I then tried paired directly to iphone bluetooth and still got over 98 percent accuracy. It is now my favorite mic. It is lightweight and I can wear it all day. Also it has built in noise reduction so it works just as well with some noise. I do not have to turn my AC in my office off. I also can walk around which is the benefit why I got the bluetooth. I have RSI and sitting for long periods are hard on me but now I can walk arount.

p.s. I am a member of Scott Baker's facebook group "Dragon Riders - Authors Dictating". We discussed this headset there and it is one of the few, and in my opinion the best bluetooth headset for dictating. It is a great group to learn all about dictation and transcription.

My audiobook narrator uses Sennheiser.

kdiem

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2018, 11:59:25 PM »
Thank you!

I need to go to dictation for one set of health issues, and to wireless for another... so thank you! I'm looking into all the recommended items, and applied to that Facebook group.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2018, 12:53:44 AM »
Both my SiL and GS went wireless because they kept getting up from the desk with the headset still on. Decapitation was imminent. Not to mention it was tough on the wires and they had to keep getting new headsets.

Wireless is well worth it.

Pandorra

« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2018, 06:03:44 AM »
With headsets, like in all things, you get what you pay for. I used to run a professional gaming establishment and we all used the Plantronics headsets. We also had professional musicians and they would use top-range Plantronics along with a turtleBeach soundcard. I like the product.

You probably want these if you just need headphones
https://www.amazon.com/Plantronics-Wireless-Noise-Cancelling-Backbeat/dp/B01MY4P9EZ
These are another excellent make and much cheaper but with mike
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MSZSL4I

How you guys can handle those squeezing your head for so many hours I will never know .. lol

Pandorra

« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2018, 06:04:28 AM »
Both my SiL and GS went wireless because they kept getting up from the desk with the headset still on. Decapitation was imminent. Not to mention it was tough on the wires and they had to keep getting new headsets.

Wireless is well worth it.

^ This as well.  :hehe

A Fading Street

« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2018, 05:06:54 AM »
OK. I'm looking to try out speech recognition and appreciate that it will take some time to get up to speed but for those who do use SR to write, what sort of words per hour rate do you manage to average out at?
A Fading Street Publishing Services.
Ghostwriting all genres from $200 per 10000 words
Rewriting from $0.04 per word. Audio and Handwritten Transcription$0.003 per word.
Proofreading $0.002 per word, Copy Editing $0.005 per word. Ghostwriting from $200 per 10000 words.
SPECIAL PACKAGE RATE for Beta, Copy Edit, Final Proof  at $0.0055 per word.
My Writer Sanctum Thread click below
https://writersanctum.com/index.php?topic=41.0

Pandorra

« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2018, 06:20:52 AM »
I think it depends. Dictation is a different animal than typing. For one, you think differently than you may speak, and getting used to speaking your WIP is a bit odd at times, at least for me it is.. (don't do it in public, especially around medical professionals!  :banana-riding-llama-smiley-em) but once you get the hang of it and the commands down its much faster IF you have an accurate program and you can learn to enunciate properly. If not, you'll spend more time editing then you would just typing it in the first place. Dictation, I can get about 2-3k more words a day than I do normally, I type pretty fast and that may or may not enter the equation and my lungs are also weak so someone else may get a higher count in dictation than I can. Also, if you tend to struggle with words or dialog this won't change that much, so it isn't a magic cure, just another alternative you have to try to see if it works for you.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2018, 06:24:44 AM by Pandorra »

A Fading Street

« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2018, 07:14:14 AM »
Thanks Pandorra. I think that's how I'm looking at it. My typing is slow and I'm hoping to be able to up my production by dictating. It's a case of try it and see I think :)
A Fading Street Publishing Services.
Ghostwriting all genres from $200 per 10000 words
Rewriting from $0.04 per word. Audio and Handwritten Transcription$0.003 per word.
Proofreading $0.002 per word, Copy Editing $0.005 per word. Ghostwriting from $200 per 10000 words.
SPECIAL PACKAGE RATE for Beta, Copy Edit, Final Proof  at $0.0055 per word.
My Writer Sanctum Thread click below
https://writersanctum.com/index.php?topic=41.0

Maggie Ann

« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2018, 07:23:10 AM »
My dictation skills are awful. My friends all laugh at my texts (I hate auto correct) and I think even Alexa snickers behind my back.  :doh:

dgcasey

• Long Novel unlocked
  • Take my memories. I hope you got a big appetite.
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2018, 10:41:10 AM »
Hmmm? I must be the outlier here. I use the headset that came with my Dragon Home software and I've not had any complaints with it. It works for me and the whole setup cost less than $16. I guess everyone has their preferences.

I will not forget one line of this, not one day. I will always remember when the Doctor was me.
"The Tales of Garlan" title="The Tales of Garlan"
"Into The Wishing Well" title="Into The Wishing Well"
Dave's Amazon Author page | DGlennCasey.com | TheDailyPainter.com
I'm the Doctor by the way, what's your name? Rose. Nice to meet you, Rose. Run for your life!

Max

Pandorra

« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2018, 01:39:20 PM »
Hmmm? I must be the outlier here. I use the headset that came with my Dragon Home software and I've not had any complaints with it. It works for me and the whole setup cost less than $16. I guess everyone has their preferences.

LOL dg, mine snapped on day one.. the second one, the earpiece went out, and the third, the cord warped and stopped working .. I do NOT have the luck with Dragon headsets...