Author Topic: 50+ words a day...no matter what!  (Read 308834 times)

solo

• Short Story unlocked
  • "By the hoary balls of Nergal!"
Re: 50+ words a day...no matter what!
« Reply #550 on: March 28, 2019, 02:00:23 AM »
I confess I did a stupid thing AGAIN.

Setup pre-orders for two books. LOL
The first, a dark fantasy, is around 50% finished. Due May 2019.
The second, an epic fantasy (the 6th of a series), is about 20% finished. Fortunately, I got the maps for the book finished. Due June 2019.

I must have masochistic tendencies. But nothing like deadlines to add more force to two kicks to my lazy butt. LOL.

The following users thanked this post: Lorri Moulton

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #551 on: March 28, 2019, 02:21:31 AM »
I only wrote 195 words yesterday.

Also, had an idea for yet another story.  Wrote this one down lest I forget it and end up a couple weeks from now wondering what that great idea I had was.  Initially, I had thought about using it as a chapter in one of my current WIPs or as a book in one of my future series and even told an author friend about that plan, but then got to thinking later that it would probably be more effective as a standalone that would be written in first person.  I think it would be scarier as a story someone is telling you happened to them as opposed to something in third person describing how it happened to other characters.  The latter might work if it was an episode of a TV show but as a book I think first person will work better.  The goal is to have it be really, really scary, which means this is somehow going to end up as a comedy.  :confused:
Mulder: "If you're distracted by fear of those around you, it keeps you from seeing the actions of those above."
The X-Files: "Blood"

solo

• Short Story unlocked
« Reply #552 on: March 28, 2019, 02:34:10 AM »
I only wrote 195 words yesterday.

Also, had an idea for yet another story.  Wrote this one down lest I forget it and end up a couple weeks from now wondering what that great idea I had was.  Initially, I had thought about using it as a chapter in one of my current WIPs or as a book in one of my future series and even told an author friend about that plan, but then got to thinking later that it would probably be more effective as a standalone that would be written in first person.  I think it would be scarier as a story someone is telling you happened to them as opposed to something in third person describing how it happened to other characters.  The latter might work if it was an episode of a TV show but as a book I think first person will work better.  The goal is to have it be really, really scary, which means this is somehow going to end up as a comedy.  :confused:

You can put some erotic scenes in it. Add beastkin, OP protagonists, some manga/hentai references, reverse harems, regular harems, irregular harems, a bare torso cover, and voila! - the best of all worlds! Those genres seem to be in vogue these days. Bestsellers, even. :)

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #553 on: March 28, 2019, 04:15:37 AM »
You can put some erotic scenes in it. Add beastkin, OP protagonists, some manga/hentai references, reverse harems, regular harems, irregular harems, a bare torso cover, and voila! - the best of all worlds! Those genres seem to be in vogue these days. Bestsellers, even. :)

No puppies?
Mulder: "If you're distracted by fear of those around you, it keeps you from seeing the actions of those above."

The following users thanked this post: solo

solo

• Short Story unlocked
« Reply #554 on: March 28, 2019, 04:22:24 AM »

No puppies?

Ah... nada. Puppies would change its rating to mature. :)

sandree

« Reply #555 on: March 28, 2019, 06:50:24 AM »
I wrote the last few days. I forget to note down the starting number so I'm not sure how much - close to 2,000 over 3 days. But the good news is that I'm writing and the story is becoming more clear. I forgot that I actually like writing. With all that editing and marketing I kind of forgot...

The following users thanked this post: Lorri Moulton, solo

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #556 on: March 28, 2019, 09:38:12 AM »
Wrote 430 words today.  Finally, I wrote a funny bit that I think actually comes off as funny, so yay!

The characters have finally reached the last milestone before they head off to face the villain.  Still have to actually write the milestone part but at least we're finally there.

solo

• Short Story unlocked
« Reply #557 on: March 28, 2019, 11:02:31 AM »
I wrote the last few days. I forget to note down the starting number so I'm not sure how much - close to 2,000 over 3 days. But the good news is that I'm writing and the story is becoming more clear. I forgot that I actually like writing. With all that editing and marketing I kind of forgot...

Sadly, the other aspects do take away the fun.

The following users thanked this post: Lorri Moulton, sandree

Lorri Moulton

« Reply #558 on: March 30, 2019, 12:04:25 PM »
I finally got back to my spy story and wrote 1,000 words today.  Nice to be back on track after fighting a cold all week.

Author of Romance, Fantasy, Fairytales, Mystery & Suspense, and Historical Non-Fiction @ Lavender Cottage Books

Maggie Ann

« Reply #559 on: March 30, 2019, 12:41:07 PM »
No writing this week. I've been getting ready for a Book Fair tomorrow at my library. It's my first and probably my last book signing.

solo

• Short Story unlocked
« Reply #560 on: March 30, 2019, 12:48:03 PM »
No writing this week. I've been getting ready for a Book Fair tomorrow at my library. It's my first and probably my last book signing.

Best of luck!

Maggie Ann

« Reply #561 on: March 31, 2019, 06:58:02 AM »

Best of luck!

If they had bothered to promote it, it would have been much better. Twenty-three authors and only about a dozen people. But I did have a good time talking to a few people, meeting other authors, and hopefully steering some of them here.

Back to writing tomorrow.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #562 on: April 01, 2019, 01:18:16 AM »
Back in the saddle with 2,135 words today.

Lorri Moulton

« Reply #563 on: April 01, 2019, 06:12:41 AM »
Got about 6k words written the past two days and finished my book! :banana-riding-llama-smiley-em

Author of Romance, Fantasy, Fairytales, Mystery & Suspense, and Historical Non-Fiction @ Lavender Cottage Books

The following users thanked this post: Post-Crisis D

Maggie Ann

« Reply #564 on: April 01, 2019, 08:21:36 AM »
Got about 6k words written the past two days and finished my book! :banana-riding-llama-smiley-em

:dance: :banana: :dance:

Lorri Moulton

« Reply #565 on: April 01, 2019, 08:28:22 AM »

On to the next one!  :writethink:

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #566 on: April 01, 2019, 10:16:34 AM »
Since the last update . . .

Thursday: 170 words
Friday: 600 words
Saturday: 320 words
Today: 785 words

So, quite a dip in productivity versus the past couple months.  For March, I ended up with a daily average of 580.81 words and a total of 18,005 words for the month.  Quite a drop from February's 40,030 words and January's 34,500 words.

Getting closer to the end though.  The characters encountered an unexpected obstacle in reaching their last milestone before reaching the villain.  It should have stretched out longer than it did but when one of the characters is a wizard, it's kind of hard for someone who doesn't know that to fight them.

The book is right around 155k right now.  Should have been wrapped up by now had I maintained the same productivity level as February.  I'm thinking it should be finished in another 20k-25k words which means two and a half weeks at February's daily average word count or a month and a half at March's.

Or like ten really, really productive days.  LOL.

Lorri Moulton

« Reply #567 on: April 01, 2019, 10:25:16 AM »

So, quite a dip in productivity versus the past couple months.  For March, I ended up with a daily average of 580.81 words and a total of 18,005 words for the month.  Quite a drop from February's 40,030 words and January's 34,500 words.

Getting closer to the end though.  The characters encountered an unexpected obstacle in reaching their last milestone before reaching the villain.  It should have stretched out longer than it did but when one of the characters is a wizard, it's kind of hard for someone who doesn't know that to fight them.

The book is right around 155k right now.  Should have been wrapped up by now had I maintained the same productivity level as February.  I'm thinking it should be finished in another 20k-25k words which means two and a half weeks at February's daily average word count or a month and a half at March's.

You're so close!  I think you'll have it finished soon.  :clap:

Maggie Ann

« Reply #568 on: April 01, 2019, 10:38:53 AM »

It seems like your characters keep moving the finish line on you. Hope this is the last time.

Lorri Moulton

« Reply #569 on: April 01, 2019, 10:56:11 AM »

It seems like your characters keep moving the finish line on you. Hope this is the last time.

Mine do that!  In fact, they did it this morning and I had to add an extra chapter before I could finish the story. LOL
 :angel:

Maggie Ann

« Reply #570 on: April 01, 2019, 11:58:11 AM »

Mine do that!  In fact, they did it this morning and I had to add an extra chapter before I could finish the story. LOL
 :angel:

Better that than skidding into an unexpected and abrupt ending. You could give your readers whiplash.

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #571 on: April 01, 2019, 12:35:37 PM »
Well, one character keeps looking for excuses not to go fight the villain.  And the one that thinks they're all characters in a book keeps expecting the worse.

I did manage to find someone willing to be a beta reader though.  So, yay!  Just need to line up two more.

solo

• Short Story unlocked
« Reply #572 on: April 03, 2019, 12:58:39 AM »

On to the next one!  :writethink:

Congrats! You're lucky we can't demand our pints... but we'll all drink to your success  :cheers

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #573 on: April 03, 2019, 03:18:01 AM »
I only wrote 190 words yesterday.  Hope to do better today.

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #574 on: April 03, 2019, 08:38:23 AM »
I wrote 600 words today and the characters have a new friend.

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #575 on: April 04, 2019, 09:40:07 AM »
Only 500 words today.  Really need to get back up to speed with February's levels.

Lorri Moulton

« Reply #576 on: April 04, 2019, 09:48:06 AM »
I'm starting a new book, so focused on researching names.  Fun day!  :smilie_zauber:

The following users thanked this post: Post-Crisis D

Maggie Ann

« Reply #577 on: April 05, 2019, 05:27:31 AM »
I managed 1122 this morning. It's about time I threw in a battle of some sort or even a boar hunt. A lot of scope for serious injury in a boar hunt.

Lorri Moulton

« Reply #578 on: April 05, 2019, 08:40:31 AM »
200 words so far today.  And no prologue for a change.  I think it will end up being a short flashback instead.

:catrun

diisha392

« Reply #579 on: April 07, 2019, 05:58:27 AM »
52 words to start a new piece!

diisha392

« Reply #580 on: April 08, 2019, 09:13:10 AM »
I deleted the 52 words I wrote yesterday but am up to 305 words in the document :)

Maggie Ann

« Reply #581 on: April 09, 2019, 09:59:45 AM »
Just slipping in some writing whenever I can. The problem is that I keep having to stop and do research since I've never written something set in Wales. I did read Sharon Kay Penman's Welsh Princes trilogy, but that was a long time ago.

Anyway, between yesterday and today, I wrote 600 words. I decided on a battle and I'll save the boar hunt until the end.

Last book in the trilogy will be back in Merry Olde England where I'm on familiar ground.

Lorri Moulton

« Reply #582 on: April 09, 2019, 10:17:31 AM »
I'm working on my series this week.  I need to finish book 2 and maybe start book 3 before the end of summer.  I've got to get organized and finish holiday books before the holidays! LOL  These are for Halloween.  :catrun

diisha392

« Reply #583 on: April 09, 2019, 12:18:03 PM »
80 more words. The characters are dealing with a missing pair of socks.

The following users thanked this post: Lorri Moulton, Post-Crisis D

diisha392

« Reply #584 on: April 10, 2019, 10:21:17 AM »
100 words on top of designing several activities for school tomorrow.

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #585 on: April 13, 2019, 05:43:21 AM »
Well, my word count has been way down this month which is a bummer since this book should have been finished between the end of last month and now.  But last month's word count was bad too.  Need to get back to February levels.

April   4th: 350 words
April   5th: 575 words
April   6th: 375 words
April   7th: 225 words
April   8th: 545 words
April   9th: 505 words
April 10th: 595 words
April 11th: 285 words

I'm only averaging 431 words a day so far this month.   :icon_cry:

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #586 on: April 17, 2019, 08:15:13 AM »
I've managed to bump my average up to 560.94 words per day.

April 12th: 1300 words
April 13th:   565 words
April 14th:   555 words
April 15th:   475 words
April 16th: 1335 words

I've noticed when only one or two characters are active in a scene, more description seems to happen.  When multiple characters are in a scene, they seem to talk and argue a lot.  The group was getting kind of large so in the chapter I finished today, I bid adieu to one of the six characters who have been traveling together.  Wasn't planned but as I was writing it, I came up with a humorous (hopefully) way for the character to exit.  Also fits the kind of thing that generally happens to said character.

So, now they are on their way to fight the bad guy except they are going to be making an unexpected, accidental trip where they briefly encounter the big bad they will square off against later.  Sooner than planned, but it fits a certain trope so I figured what the heck.

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #587 on: April 20, 2019, 06:47:42 AM »
Doing better.  Average is up to 591.3 words per day.

April 17th: 645 words
April 18th: 905 words
April 19th: 710 words (unless I write more later)

Also, I took a break from writing, stole a car and led the police on a high speed chase.  The response was kind of disappointing as they only sent out three cars.  I was able to evade them by driving through an unlit tunnel, locking the steering wheel in place with a branch I had picked up ahead of time, then climbing out the window and jumping into the bed of a truck coming the other way.  The car didn't go far after that, but I managed to get out of the truck when it stopped near a field and disappeared into the woods where I hid out for an hour.  It made the local news, but I'm not a suspect so all is good.  Also, I wore gloves so no fingerprints.  I later shredded them and flushed them down the toilet.  Oh, and none of that actually happened; I was just checking to see if anyone was still reading this thread.

The following users thanked this post: Lorri Moulton, Maggie Ann

Lorri Moulton

« Reply #588 on: April 20, 2019, 07:30:44 AM »
Doing better.  Average is up to 591.3 words per day.

April 17th: 645 words
April 18th: 905 words
April 19th: 710 words (unless I write more later)

Also, I took a break from writing, stole a car and led the police on a high speed chase.  The response was kind of disappointing as they only sent out three cars.  I was able to evade them by driving through an unlit tunnel, locking the steering wheel in place with a branch I had picked up ahead of time, then climbing out the window and jumping into the bed of a truck coming the other way.  The car didn't go far after that, but I managed to get out of the truck when it stopped near a field and disappeared into the woods where I hid out for an hour.  It made the local news, but I'm not a suspect so all is good.  Also, I wore gloves so no fingerprints.  I later shredded them and flushed them down the toilet.  Oh, and none of that actually happened; I was just checking to see if anyone was still reading this thread.

Is this different from your normal day?   :angel:

Lorri Moulton

« Reply #589 on: April 20, 2019, 07:31:45 AM »
I went back and edited four chapters, made a few other changes...and now I'm about halfway though book 2 in my series.  :cheers

Maggie Ann

« Reply #590 on: April 20, 2019, 07:39:15 AM »
Dan, what kind of a car was it?

I'm taking a break from writing (typing) because I have a possible rotator cuff tear. I set up Dictate in Word and got a mic but so far inspiration hasn't come. I'll keep trying.

Lorri Moulton

« Reply #591 on: April 20, 2019, 07:45:38 AM »

I'm taking a break from writing (typing) because I have a possible rotator cuff tear. I set up Dictate in Word and got a mic but so far inspiration hasn't come. I'll keep trying.

Ouch! Hope you feel better soon.  :dog1:

Maggie Ann

« Reply #592 on: April 20, 2019, 08:11:41 AM »

Thanks. I go for an MRI on Monday and see the ortho on Wednesday. Hoping for PT and no surgery. We've already tried an injection with minimal results.

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #593 on: April 20, 2019, 08:13:29 AM »

Usually I coverup and take my stealth vehicle to stop crime but today I felt I needed to brush up on the mindset of a criminal with firsthand experience.

A red one.

Ditto.  :catrun

Maggie Ann

« Reply #594 on: April 20, 2019, 09:18:39 AM »

Usually I coverup and take my stealth vehicle to stop crime but today I felt I needed to brush up on the mindset of a criminal with firsthand experience.

A red one.

Ditto.  :catrun

You do know that red cars get stopped and ticketed more often by police than any other color. Next time, steal a baby blue car. They'll just sit in front of the donut shop and snicker.

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #595 on: April 20, 2019, 09:48:10 AM »
You do know that red cars get stopped and ticketed more often by police than any other color. Next time, steal a baby blue car. They'll just sit in front of the donut shop and snicker.

They also get in more accidents.  That's why I picked a red one; I figured their insurance rates were high enough to cover it.

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #596 on: April 20, 2019, 09:49:30 AM »
On another note, I calculated that, at my current rate, it will take me approximately 84 years to finish all my WIPs.

diisha392

« Reply #597 on: April 20, 2019, 10:41:41 AM »
About 200 words...

Maggie Ann

« Reply #598 on: April 20, 2019, 11:05:17 AM »
On another note, I calculated that, at my current rate, it will take me approximately 84 years to finish all my WIPs.

Good thing people are living longer these days.

The following users thanked this post: Jeff Tanyard, Post-Crisis D

Maggie Ann

« Reply #599 on: April 21, 2019, 09:14:55 AM »
I attempted to dictate instead of typing today. I used Word's Dictate function. Several problems including it does not always capitalize the first word in a sentence and doesn't allow for voice corrections.

I had bought Dragon a while ago because it was on sale for $40 and a friend suggested I try to find out where I bought it from. Turns out, I bought it from Amazon 12/27/14 and it was in my Games and Software Library. The Key # was even listed.

It's all downloaded and installed. The next step is training. I think I should watch "How to Train Your Dragon" to get some pointers. Anybody notice that all the adults in that movie had Scots accents and all the kids had American accents? Weird.

I'll see how it goes and report back.