Author Topic: What are your pet peeves?  (Read 7546 times)

Anarchist

What are your pet peeves?
« on: February 26, 2019, 07:53:52 AM »
I know, we're supposed to be tolerant. But we're human. We've all got pet peeves.

Let's air 'em out. It'll be cathartic.

I'll start...

People who count out exact change at the grocery store.

Bonus points: people who use the smallest denominations possible (e.g. "Wait. 82 cents? I'm pretty sure I have 12 pennies here.")

Your turn. Share one of your pet peeves.  Grin
"The first lesson of economics is scarcity: there is never enough of anything to fully satisfy all those who want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics.” – Thomas Sowell

"The State is an institution run by gangs of murderers, plunderers and thieves, surrounded by willing executioners, propagandists, sycophants, crooks, liars, clowns, charlatans, dupes and useful idiots—an institution that dirties and taints everything it touches.” - Hans Hoppe

"Virtue is more to be feared than vice, because its excesses are not subject to the regulation of conscience." - Adam Smith

Nothing that requires the labor of others is a basic human right.

I keep a stiff upper lip and shoot from the hip. - AC/DC

David VanDyke

• Long Novel unlocked
  • Full-time hybrid author and curmudgeon
    • David VanDyke's Author Website
Re: What are your pet peeves?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2019, 08:29:59 AM »
Non-writing pet peeves?

Lane blockers. 3 lanes each side, guy pulls into the left (passing) lane because, as it turns out, s/he's going to turn left three to five miles from now.

People who zoom across parking lots across the spaces (not in the roadways) without looking.

ATVs who use our neighborhood roads as recreational areas, usually without road-legal registration and proper mufflers.

People who don't clean up after their dogs.
Never listen to people with no skin in the game.

I'm a lucky guy. I find the harder I work, the luckier I am.

Those who prefer their English sloppy have only themselves to thank if the advertisement writer uses his mastery of the vocabulary and syntax to mislead their weak minds.

~ Dorothy L. Sayers

Anarchist

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2019, 08:57:30 AM »
People who don't clean up after their dogs.

Oh, man. Don't get me started.
"The first lesson of economics is scarcity: there is never enough of anything to fully satisfy all those who want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics.” – Thomas Sowell

"The State is an institution run by gangs of murderers, plunderers and thieves, surrounded by willing executioners, propagandists, sycophants, crooks, liars, clowns, charlatans, dupes and useful idiots—an institution that dirties and taints everything it touches.” - Hans Hoppe

"Virtue is more to be feared than vice, because its excesses are not subject to the regulation of conscience." - Adam Smith

123mlh

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2019, 09:40:45 AM »
I actually wanted to write a story about someone whose superpower was being able to return dog poop to the ground in front of the dog's owner right as they're taking a step forward. Never wrote it, but if I could have a superpower, that would be the one I'd choose.

notthatamanda

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2019, 09:41:20 AM »
Well the dog poop thing, naturally.  My husband's been known to throw a jersey on over his boxers to go out fling the poop into dog owner's driveway (with a shovel).

Seeing as the kids had last week off and we skied five straight days, I'll say people who use the singles line as their own personal express lane.  And then they give the lifties a hard time for calling them on it.  Special douche flakes, those ones.

Max

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2019, 09:51:23 AM »
Those who jump lines.
Those who say uh-huh instead of you're welcome.
Servers/tenders who touch the lip of my glass when they bring me a drink.
BBQ that needs sauce.

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2019, 10:30:56 AM »
Special douche flakes, those ones.

I don't think I've heard that term before.  I'll have to remember "special douche flakes" and be sure to use it some time.   :icon_mrgreen:
v  v  v  v  v    Short Stories    v  v  v  v  v    vv FREE! vv

Genres: Science Fiction, Fantasy (some day) | Author Website

notthatamanda

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2019, 10:34:56 AM »
I can't take credit for douche flakes.  Adam Corolla.

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2019, 10:48:23 AM »
I can't take credit for douche flakes.  Adam Corolla.

Ah, okay.  I haven't watched anything he's done in a long time.  I don't watch much tv anymore.

As for pet peeves, I suppose there are a number of wildlife things that fit the bill.  Mosquitoes and kudzu, for example. 

And squirrels.  Horrible creatures.  Oh, sure, they look all cute and fuzzy and playful... but then they start gnawing on your car, leaving you with hundreds of dollars of repairs to make.  Or they start gnawing on your home. 

Sometimes they get in the attic, and then they run around all night, keeping you awake.  If you're really lucky, they'll bring bed bugs into the attic with them, and then those bed bugs will find their way to your bed.  (This has happened to me.)

And let's not forget that squirrels are omnivores that will eat the eggs of your favorite songbirds.

The only good squirrel is a dead squirrel!   :rant

notthatamanda

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2019, 11:52:43 AM »
Sometimes they get in the attic, and then they run around all night, keeping you awake.  If you're really lucky, they'll bring bed bugs into the attic with them, and then those bed bugs will find their way to your bed.  (This has happened to me.)

And let's not forget that squirrels are omnivores that will eat the eggs of your favorite songbirds.

And then you get the have a heart trap and they bang around in it in the middle of the night, so you have no choice but to get out of bed and drive them a couple of miles down the road to an open area and then when you open up the trap they just sit there.  Until the cops show up.  Then they flee.

Edit to fix the quote thing.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2019, 11:53:33 AM »
Oh, yeah, the dog poop thing. I happen to be the only one who picks up after their dog and guess who gets yelled at by homeowners who find poop on their lawns. Yup, little old me.

Someone even called animal control on me and I took the officer out back to show her the five gallon paint can with green plastic bags of poop. I get the bags from the $ store. They are for diapers and there are 75 in a box. Works great.

So, I have a double pet peeve. People who don't pick up and people who don't bother to see whose dogs are pooping on their lawn. I caught the worst offender. She had two dogs and she didn't even live in our neighborhood.

Rubberneckers. Is your life so completely dull and boring that the highlight of your day is to slow down to watch someone get a ticket? And do I have to be late for work because you have nothing better to do with your time? Retired now, but it's still annoying.

Captain Cranky

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2019, 12:29:20 PM »
Ugh, people who tailgate.

And people who cut me off without even so much as a glance in my direction.  It usually seems to happen on a Friday too, so in our household it is referred to as 'f*cktard Friday'. It's a thing.

« Last Edit: February 26, 2019, 12:31:38 PM by Captain Cranky »
If you dare nothing, then when the day is over nothing is all you will have gained. -Neil Gaiman

angela

• Short Novel unlocked
  • Indie publishing since 2011. Still kickin'.
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2019, 12:53:32 PM »
Injustice and corruption.

But also when the floss rips and some of it gets caught between your molars!!! Arggggh day ruined!!

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2019, 01:17:25 PM »

And then you get the have a heart trap and they bang around in it in the middle of the night, so you have no choice but to get out of bed and drive them a couple of miles down the road to an open area and then when you open up the trap they just sit there.  Until the cops show up.  Then they flee.

Edit to fix the quote thing.

:icon_lol2:

LilyBLily

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2019, 01:42:16 PM »
Dogs that bark for hours and hours on end--and their owners who are oblivious to the noise.

CoraBuhlert

« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2019, 01:59:46 PM »
I actually wanted to write a story about someone whose superpower was being able to return dog poop to the ground in front of the dog's owner right as they're taking a step forward. Never wrote it, but if I could have a superpower, that would be the one I'd choose.

I actually did this once or twice - picked up the dog poop and dumped it in the driveway of the dog's owner - but only when I knew who the dog and owner were.

This also reminds me of the drunkard who lived on my parents' street. Every morning, he walked to the newsstand cum tobacco shop to buy the morning paper as well as a small hip flask of liquor. On his way home, he'd empty the flask and then throw it away (these are one way glas flasks, not the reusable metal ones), so his wife wouldn't notice. And he'd always throw the empty flask into our or the neighbour's garden, because that was the point where he's finished it. My Dad eventually got so fed up of always finding empty flasks in our garden (and that of the little old lady next door) that he took a whole bunch of empty flasks, tied them to strings and tied the whole arrangement to a tree by the side of the street. When he found another flask, he tied it to a tree as well. After about a wekk, we never found another flask. 

Blog | Pegasus Pulp | Newsletter | Author Central | Twitter | Instagram
Genres: All of them, but mostly science fiction and mystery/crime

Dennis Chekalov

« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2019, 02:43:13 PM »
People who claim to be liberals but in fact support hatred, racism, sexism, and fascism.
We have such people in Russia; if someone in Russia supports Obama or Hillary, (s)he always supports Hitler as well. Disgusting.

Anarchist

« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2019, 03:22:20 PM »
When a stranger walks up to my table at Starbucks, sees me working on my laptop, zoned in while wearing headphones, and goes to great lengths to get my attention only to ask...

"So what do you do?"

Me, on the inside:

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2019, 03:33:05 PM »
When a stranger walks up to my table at Starbucks, sees me working on my laptop, zoned in while wearing headphones, and goes to great lengths to get my attention only to ask...

"So what do you do?"

Me, on the inside:

You should respond to that question like this:

:cool:

Becca Mills

« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2019, 03:37:25 PM »
The way everyone other than me loads the dishwasher.  :shocked: :shocked: :shocked:
Recently Read ...

Captain Cranky

« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2019, 03:41:10 PM »
The way everyone other than me loads the dishwasher.  :shocked: :shocked: :shocked:

Or the way 'put your dishes in the sink' is interpreted as 'put your dishes somewhere in the vicinity of the kitchen, I have nothing better to do than clean up after you...'
If you dare nothing, then when the day is over nothing is all you will have gained. -Neil Gaiman

Becca Mills

« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2019, 03:44:06 PM »
Oh, and people who let their dogs off-leash. Because there's nothing like walking 200 pounds of bully dog and getting charged by someone's "friendly" German shepherd. I routinely pick up other dog owners' sh*t piles -- like, whatevs -- but the loose-dogs thing is infuriating on an entirely different level. Grrr.

Or the way 'put your dishes in the sink' is interpreted as 'put your dishes somewhere in the vicinity of the kitchen, I have nothing better to do than clean up after you...'

Your house seems to be my house. So weird.  :hehe

ETA: And with today's open-floor-plan homes, "somewhere in the vicinity of the kitchen" = the whole downstairs.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2019, 03:46:09 PM by Becca Mills »
Recently Read ...

Captain Cranky

« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2019, 03:51:14 PM »
Haha yep, or the backyard.  :shrug We have a small house

The following users thanked this post: Becca Mills

Lysmata Debelius

« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2019, 04:32:41 PM »
When I go visit people and all they want to talk about is the latest outrage discussion that's dominating Twitter / Facebook. It's like - I try to avoid social media so I don't have to know about that stuff. Do we have to talk about it all the time as well?

Also, when somebody invites me over for a visit and when I arrive there I realise they have a raging cold / stomach flu / bubonic plague or whatever other highly infectious condition that they apparently want to share with me.

Ironically, people who complain a lot. Especially if they complain without ever trying to improve whatever it is.

Remarkably hard to think of things that are just peeves, and not "rage inducing" :)

Anarchist

« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2019, 05:13:54 PM »
When people bump into me with their shopping bags, purses, backpacks, and just pretend like it didn't happen.

I feel like turning around and doing this...

Mammasan

« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2019, 06:18:50 PM »
Smokers who stomp their butt out on the ground then leave it, like the magic fairy is going to come along and clean up after them or something.

The following users thanked this post: LilyBLily, David VanDyke

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2019, 06:29:35 PM »
Windows that are stuck shut and take lots of banging with one's fist to break free.

AmHere

« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2019, 04:42:59 AM »

LOL, This is me!

This is the only way I can get rid of all the change (most of my day to day transactions are cash). Banks don't convert coins to bills and the machines take a huge % fee.

I do plan my shopping for off-peak hours and use self checkout when available. If someone is behind me and my change is not handy, then I hand out a larger bill (while crying inside for the additional change that got added). 

AmHere

« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2019, 04:48:33 AM »
- Folks who tailgate.

- Folks who don't turn on their headlights when raining or dark (a surprising number of folks don't in the part of the US I am in currently)

- Folks who let their dogs off leash ( I was bitten multiple times when young and had to take rabies shots)

- Folks who just have to walk next to each other on sidewalks and will not step aside even for a second for other people walking towards them (I just come to a standstill and let them figure out what they want to do)

Tom Wood

« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2019, 05:18:06 AM »
People who complain about first-world problems on the internet!  :hehe

Anarchist

« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2019, 05:25:11 AM »

LOL, This is me!

This is the only way I can get rid of all the change (most of my day to day transactions are cash). Banks don't convert coins to bills and the machines take a huge % fee.

I do plan my shopping for off-peak hours and use self checkout when available. If someone is behind me and my change is not handy, then I hand out a larger bill (while crying inside for the additional change that got added).

Haha. And this is me, standing behind you, after you finish the transaction...

The following users thanked this post: AmHere

AmHere

« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2019, 06:30:50 AM »

LOL! I grew up in a non-first-world country. Here you go:

- Busybodies who have nothing else to do but poke their nose into everyone else' life. Busybodies every where.

- People who are leaning on you instead of standing behind you in a line. What is this personal space that people speak of?

- Line? What line? It's actually who can shove the strongest.

- People who keep the insides of their homes immaculately clean but dump stuff outside at the corner and on the streets

These are peeves. There are way more serious societal and cultural conditions :)

Captain Cranky

« Reply #32 on: February 27, 2019, 07:31:18 AM »

- Folks who don't turn on their headlights when raining or dark (a surprising number of folks don't in the part of the US I am in currently)

Yep, that too! And those who drive white cars and don't use headlights in fog. Or anyone who doesn't use their lights in the fog for that matter.  :icon_rolleyes: This pet peeves thing is way to easy for me, I might need to go smell some roses or something...

Becca Mills

« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2019, 08:27:23 AM »

My preferred supermarket doesn't carry blueberry juice. Bah humbug.
Recently Read ...

The following users thanked this post: Anarchist

Anarchist

« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2019, 09:43:21 AM »

Sometimes, my PS4 Pro connection is slow.

Becca Mills

« Reply #35 on: February 27, 2019, 11:37:16 AM »

Yeah well our roof doesn't hold enough solar panels.
Recently Read ...

Anarchist

« Reply #36 on: February 27, 2019, 01:08:05 PM »

The other day, I went out to dinner and ordered a ribeye medium rare. It came back medium.

Night ruined.

angela

• Short Novel unlocked
  • Indie publishing since 2011. Still kickin'.
« Reply #37 on: February 27, 2019, 01:13:17 PM »
When I go visit people and all they want to talk about is the latest outrage discussion that's dominating Twitter / Facebook. It's like - I try to avoid social media so I don't have to know about that stuff. Do we have to talk about it all the time as well?

Also, when somebody invites me over for a visit and when I arrive there I realise they have a raging cold / stomach flu / bubonic plague or whatever other highly infectious condition that they apparently want to share with me.

Ironically, people who complain a lot. Especially if they complain without ever trying to improve whatever it is.

Remarkably hard to think of things that are just peeves, and not "rage inducing" :)

I would ditto this whole thing! I frequently cringe when I find myself complaining about complainers!

I'd also add, people who want me to travel a long way to come visit them in person, at great expense and inconvenience to me, when they can't be arsed to talk to me on the phone, like, ever.

Becca Mills

« Reply #38 on: February 27, 2019, 01:35:28 PM »

The other day, I went out to dinner and ordered a ribeye medium rare. It came back medium.

Night ruined.

The lightbulb inside my second refrigerator burned out.

Recently Read ...

Maggie Ann

« Reply #39 on: February 27, 2019, 01:58:50 PM »

Night ruined.

My refrigerator bulb has been burned out for four months and I haven't replaced it yet. I'm so peeved at myself.

Becca Mills

« Reply #40 on: February 27, 2019, 02:01:04 PM »

Night ruined.

My refrigerator bulb has been burned out for four months and I haven't replaced it yet. I'm so peeved at myself.

Hey, it's hard. Be kind to yourself.  grint
Recently Read ...

Anarchist

« Reply #41 on: February 27, 2019, 03:25:49 PM »

Night ruined.

Spent too much time playing online poker. Now I don't have time for my afternoon nap.

Lysmata Debelius

« Reply #42 on: February 27, 2019, 03:31:31 PM »

Night ruined.

Spent too much time playing online poker. Now I don't have time for my afternoon nap.

People who do multiple nested quotes in a forum :)

Becca Mills

« Reply #43 on: February 27, 2019, 04:07:11 PM »

Night ruined.

Napped so long I didn't have time for a second nap.

Recently Read ...

Anarchist

« Reply #44 on: February 27, 2019, 04:20:17 PM »
I know when I've been bested. :)

Becca Mills

« Reply #45 on: February 27, 2019, 04:35:57 PM »
Recently Read ...

The following users thanked this post: Anarchist

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #46 on: February 27, 2019, 04:41:18 PM »

Night ruined.

Napped so long I didn't have time for a second nap.

You take your own naps?  I have people to do my napping for me.

Sometimes they wake up and I'm still tired.   :icon_sad:

guest1038

« Reply #47 on: February 28, 2019, 09:02:54 AM »
This thread has taught me I could share a spaceship with all of you.

The following users thanked this post: Jeff Tanyard, Anarchist, angela