Author Topic: What happens on the reader end when you leave KU and they aren't finished?  (Read 1875 times)

Tom Wood

What is the reader experience on the KU side when they are part way through your ebook and you do not re-enroll it into KDP Select? Is it automatically deleted from their devices even though they haven't finished it? Seems like that would lead to a lot of angry one-star reviews.

ashleycapes

• Short Novel unlocked
  • My neighbors think my name is Emily Goldfinch
    • Website
Re: What happens on the reader end when you leave KU and they aren't finished?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2019, 03:44:49 PM »
Reasonably sure the book stays available to them and page reads then trickle in for the writer... but I'm not 100% certain on that.

Ashley Capes | website

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
  • Earth Galaxy core, 2618
    • The Hunter Imperium Universe
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2019, 04:00:05 PM »
Nothing on the reader end.

You can get reads on the book 2 years after it was taken out, if it was never deleted from the device.
Genres: Space Opera/Fantasy/Cyberpunk, with elements of LitRPG and GameLit, with a touch of the Supernatural. Also Spiritual and Games.

Timothy Ellis Kindle Author page. | Join the Hunter Legacy mailing list | The Hunter Imperium Universe on Facebook. | Forum Promo Page.

The following users thanked this post: ashleycapes, Tom Wood

Eric Thomson

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2019, 10:46:43 PM »
I'm still getting reads on books that left KU in early 2017

notthatamanda

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2019, 11:53:55 PM »
Ditto, all my books have been out for a year and a half, someone read one last month.

Bill Hiatt

• Trilogy unlocked
  • Tickling the imagination one book at a time
    • Bill Hiatt's Author Website
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2019, 01:51:49 AM »
Which tells us, among other things, that a lot of people borrow and then wait a long time to actually read. I understand that some people rapidly rotate a few of their slots but may the same books sitting in the others for a long period of time. It's another reason why those ranking bumps from borrows are sometimes difficult to explain. The pages read can come a long, long time after the borrow is recorded.

Tickling the imagination one book at a time
Bill Hiatt | fiction website | education website | Facebook author page | Twitter

The following users thanked this post: twicebitten

JRTomlin

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2019, 08:10:15 AM »
What is the reader experience on the KU side when they are part way through your ebook and you do not re-enroll it into KDP Select? Is it automatically deleted from their devices even though they haven't finished it? Seems like that would lead to a lot of angry one-star reviews.
No, it isn't deleted. I am still getting a handful of KU reads about a year and a half after I left KU which is sort of amusing. The people may be disappointed they can't get the rest of books in a series once they finally get around to reading their KU borrow but that's about the only down side I can think of.

The following users thanked this post: Tom Wood

idontknowyet

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2019, 01:38:08 AM »
No, it isn't deleted. I am still getting a handful of KU reads about a year and a half after I left KU which is sort of amusing. The people may be disappointed they can't get the rest of books in a series once they finally get around to reading their KU borrow but that's about the only down side I can think of.

Had that happen in a few of my series was not a happy camper. Ended up buying the rest of the series and the ones I already read. But I whined for a good 10min first.  :n2Str17:

The following users thanked this post: JRTomlin