Author Topic: A Fake Amazon Phishing Email  (Read 1704 times)

LilyBLily

A Fake Amazon Phishing Email
« on: April 27, 2020, 09:46:01 PM »
This morning I got an email just incoherent enough to be believable as from Amazon:

Subject: Amazoп Security Alert:Sign-In detected from Firefox for Opera for Windows 7,Poland

"Your Amazon account [my email], found abnormal login, the recipient address has been changed!"

The exclamation point is theirs. More words claiming one can only log in using the app on a moble phone. Needless to say there is code hidden all over the email. At bottom there's a big button to "Change Settings."

Uh, nope.

I was cheered to discover that when I went to my account settings via the normal route rather than clicking on the bogus button, I already had two-factor authentication in place. Yay, me.

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
  • Earth Galaxy core, 2618
    • The Hunter Imperium Universe
Re: A Fake Amazon Phishing Email
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2020, 10:24:34 PM »
Was the url under the button even going to Amazon?
Genres: Space Opera/Fantasy/Cyberpunk, with elements of LitRPG and GameLit, with a touch of the Supernatural. Also Spiritual and Games.

Timothy Ellis Kindle Author page. | Join the Hunter Legacy mailing list | The Hunter Imperium Universe on Facebook. | Forum Promo Page.

LilyBLily

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2020, 10:39:52 PM »
Was the url under the button even going to Amazon?

Nope. Some unidentifiable url. Every use of the word "Amazon" had code behind it, too, as did many other words, which is why I didn't copy and paste the email.

CaptnAndy

• Short Story unlocked
  • I’m a writer, who writes about what interests me.
    • A.G. Kimbrough Books and Blog
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2020, 02:52:57 AM »
The number of these kind of scams has increased a lot since the lockdown. I've had them from Amazon, Paypal, Master Card, Visa, and others.
I always report them, and then go to the regular site access to confirm everything is OK. Too many people with too much time for mischief.

Be Safe My Friends
When I read Heinlein's Stranger in a strange land, I Grokked, and the die was cast.
       Many of my books are science fiction and don’t include steam punk, fantasy, time travel, magic, elves or faeries.
       As a naval and military history buff, I also have written several books that feature warships, aircraft, airships, spacecraft, and military action.
       If Things Get Better With Age Then this 1944 model is Approaching Excellent.

Mammasan

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2020, 04:33:17 AM »
How do you find out if there is code behind a word (sorry --Luddite  here)?

LilyBLily

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2020, 09:00:33 AM »
How do you find out if there is code behind a word (sorry --Luddite  here)?

If I put the email in my junk folder it shows the codes. If I copy and paste somewhere I also see them.

Mammasan

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2020, 12:41:17 PM »
Thanks.