Author Topic: The Garden Thread that two people wanted  (Read 70167 times)

notthatamanda

Re: The Garden Thread that two people wanted
« Reply #400 on: February 05, 2021, 10:30:15 PM »
Bore = Well?

My whole towns on wells, even the town water is 7 wells scattered around town. We don't water our grass, ever. Had the well get too low on our first house when we did that and never did it again. The town does odd/even days (they kind of have to because the system can't sustain everyone watering on a Saturday when they remember to) and also restricts completely when needed. It's not hard to figure out who thinks the rules don't apply to them.

The following users thanked this post: idontknowyet

idontknowyet

« Reply #401 on: February 06, 2021, 04:57:01 AM »
We have an irrigation system for the lawn but we rarely use it. The grass doesn't need it in the winter or the summer unless you want a magazine lawn. We hand water the garden based on plant needs but usually 1-2x a week in the winter for most plants.

In the spring early summer the garden needs daily water with the exception of the sweet potatoes. They only need it occasionally.
Summer here nothing grows but okra and sweet potatoes.

We've had watering restrictions(for lawn/irrigation systems you can hand water anything whenever you want) here but i dont even know them anymore.

notthatamanda

« Reply #402 on: February 06, 2021, 06:09:07 AM »
I went out and got the cherry tomato seeds and planted them. Going to try really hard to keep them alive to actually get them in the garden in the end of May.

idontknowyet

« Reply #403 on: February 06, 2021, 12:01:19 PM »
I went out and got the cherry tomato seeds and planted them. Going to try really hard to keep them alive to actually get them in the garden in the end of May.

My tomato seedlings arent doing well. I need a greenhouse or light lamp for them. They just keep dying on me.

Jan Hurst-Nicholson

• Epic Novel unlocked
  • Don't let your emotions overpower your intellect
    • Just4kix Books
« Reply #404 on: February 06, 2021, 07:31:15 PM »
I don't know about you guys, but our consumer council is investigating price colluding on ginger. I've been buying it for years to make ginger tea, put in smoothies, and lately to make ginger beer. It has been as low as R49.99/kg and sometimes went up to R89.99 - R99.99/kg when out of season, which is when I balked at buying it. However, people seem to have cottoned on to ginger's health-giving properties and some ginger is now imported and the price has gone as high as R439/kg  :eek: :evil2:. My local shop was selling it at R289/kg. I'm putting this in the garden thread as the news showed a short insert on growing your own ginger. The problem is that it takes about 8 mths to mature  :icon_rolleyes: I still have a piece of ginger from when it was cheaper (it keeps nicely in the fridge) but am reluctant to waste it on planting in case it doesn't grow. It doesn't have any shoots.

Non-fiction, Fiction, family saga, humour, short stories, teen, children's
Jan Hurst-Nicholson | author website

Simon Haynes

« Reply #405 on: February 06, 2021, 10:21:04 PM »

You can always cut what you have in half (or 4 pieces).  Keep 2, plant 2 in pots and put them somewhere safe until they shoot.

The following users thanked this post: Jan Hurst-Nicholson

Jan Hurst-Nicholson

• Epic Novel unlocked
    • Just4kix Books
« Reply #406 on: February 06, 2021, 10:58:38 PM »

You can always cut what you have in half (or 4 pieces).  Keep 2, plant 2 in pots and put them somewhere safe until they shoot.

:tup3b Will have to give it a try.  :clap:

notthatamanda

« Reply #407 on: February 06, 2021, 11:39:43 PM »
Is ginger invasive? I have wild ginger got it from a neighbor for free as a ground cover. Some people can eat it, some people it makes vomit. Haven't tried.

Vijaya

« Reply #408 on: February 07, 2021, 04:51:44 AM »
We just started some ginger in pots and will get it in the ground soon, see how it does. Love the stuff.

Author of over 100 books and magazine pieces, primarily for children
Vijaya Bodach | Personal Blog | Bodach Books

notthatamanda

« Reply #409 on: February 07, 2021, 05:33:48 AM »
I'm going to try to start some ginger in pots soon, inside.

LilyBLily

« Reply #410 on: February 07, 2021, 10:31:23 AM »
I am envious. We have snow forecast three days out of the next seven. February is the pits.

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #411 on: February 07, 2021, 12:43:39 PM »
There's a Japanese restaurant near here that makes their own ginger salad dressing.  Fantastic stuff.  It doesn't keep well, though.  It works best when fresh.

Between that and the awesomeness that is gingerbread, it's safe to say I'm a fan of ginger.   :icon_mrgreen:

Best of luck to everyone trying to grow the stuff.  And if you succeed, post pics, please.  I'd like to see your fresh ginger crops.  I think it's pretty cool.

Jan mentioned the price of goods in Durban, and that sparked my curiosity about the exchange rate.  When I was in South Africa in 2012, my dollar bought about eight-and-a-half Rand.  Today, my dollar would buy 14.84 Rand.   :Hqn66ku:

That's some eye-catching inflation.  I hope the people of that country are investing/diversifying and otherwise doing what they can to protect themselves from their central bank's printing press.
v  v  v  v  v    Short Stories    v  v  v  v  v    vv FREE! vv

Genres: Science Fiction, Fantasy (some day) | Author Website

notthatamanda

« Reply #412 on: February 12, 2021, 09:47:50 PM »
Tomato seeds are sprouting! I forgot to buy ginger at the supermarket this week.

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #413 on: February 13, 2021, 02:36:13 AM »
My mother told me yesterday she bought a good-sized piece of ginger root yesterday.  Don't know the weight, but she said about 4-5" in length, so a decent size, I think.  It was $0.35.
Mulder: "If you're distracted by fear of those around you, it keeps you from seeing the actions of those above."
The X-Files: "Blood"

idontknowyet

« Reply #414 on: February 13, 2021, 01:58:07 PM »
I picked and ate the first cauliflower of the season this year. Really didn't expect to get a single one. They werent heading until so late. Now they are huge!!!!

Jan Hurst-Nicholson

• Epic Novel unlocked
    • Just4kix Books
« Reply #415 on: February 15, 2021, 01:32:39 AM »
My dwarf Ixora is in full flower. I also have a yellow one, but unfortunately the flowers are quite pitiful compared to this one and they are only a metre apart.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #416 on: February 15, 2021, 08:53:18 AM »
Jan, my yellow ixora is pitiful, too. Hoping the recent heavy rains will perk them up.

notthatamanda

« Reply #417 on: February 15, 2021, 10:16:38 AM »
Oh that's gorgeous Jan!

LilyBLily

« Reply #418 on: February 15, 2021, 10:38:59 AM »
Beautiful. All I have blooming right now is snow.

Jan Hurst-Nicholson

• Epic Novel unlocked
    • Just4kix Books
« Reply #419 on: February 15, 2021, 06:31:48 PM »
Jan, my yellow ixora is pitiful, too. Hoping the recent heavy rains will perk them up.

I wonder why the yellow ones don't flower as well as the others  :confused:

Maggie Ann

« Reply #420 on: February 16, 2021, 12:50:33 AM »

I wonder why the yellow ones don't flower as well as the others  :confused:

The mysterious ways of nature.

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #421 on: February 16, 2021, 09:46:09 AM »
It seems like it's been "forty degrees and raining" this entire calendar year.  Between the dismal weather and my illness and ongoing fatigue, I haven't done a single thing outside.  This is the time of year I usually pull up dead stuff and burn stuff. 

At this point, I'm just hoping I can get some energy back before April.   :confused:

notthatamanda

« Reply #422 on: February 16, 2021, 10:04:47 PM »
33 and pouring here. Colder and sunny is so much better than warmer and gray. Hope you feel better soon Jeff.

The following users thanked this post: Jeff Tanyard

Jan Hurst-Nicholson

• Epic Novel unlocked
    • Just4kix Books
« Reply #423 on: February 16, 2021, 11:36:20 PM »
Jeff, hope you will soon feel better.
I'd love to know where everyone is when they talk about the weather 'here'.  :icon_sad: It's a pity it doesn't show under our avatars.

notthatamanda

« Reply #424 on: February 17, 2021, 12:05:52 AM »
New England. We're getting rain and Texas got snow. :)

Vijaya

« Reply #425 on: February 17, 2021, 01:39:44 AM »
Oh boy, all the clouds and cold rain were depressing. Reminded me of Seattle. But today, the sun is shining and it's a balmy 60 in beautiful Charleston, SC.
Jan, you have the most gorgeous flowers.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #426 on: February 17, 2021, 01:50:10 AM »
It seems like it's been "forty degrees and raining" this entire calendar year.  Between the dismal weather and my illness and ongoing fatigue, I haven't done a single thing outside.  This is the time of year I usually pull up dead stuff and burn stuff. 

At this point, I'm just hoping I can get some energy back before April.   :confused:

That kind of weather can add to your fatigue. Do whatever you can to get a good night's sleep and when you do, spend your energy wisely. When you don't, nap.

I often feel like I'm sleeping my life away, but when I look at where I was a year ago, I know the rest has done me good.

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #427 on: February 17, 2021, 11:57:48 AM »
Thanks for the well wishes, everyone.

I'd love to know where everyone is when they talk about the weather 'here'.

North Georgia.  It was actually sunny today, believe it or not.  Cold, but sunny.  Currently 26 degrees at about 9 PM.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #428 on: February 17, 2021, 01:27:24 PM »
The Treasure Coast in FL.

Rainy, windy, 73. With all the rain we've had the past few days, I'm sure we're in for a bit of a cool down.

I'm hoping for more rain overnight because I just put one of my Vanda orchids and one of my Cattleyas in the oak trees. On the other hand, Mikey refuses to go out in the rain, although he's getting better about thunder and lightning. Hope the rain holds off for his walk time.

Vijaya

« Reply #429 on: February 18, 2021, 02:32:58 AM »

I'd love to know where everyone is when they talk about the weather 'here'.  :icon_sad: It's a pity it doesn't show under our avatars.

Could Tim add in field for it? Not to create more work for Tim... on my other board (children's lit) we have places and over the past 15+ yrs I've met many members at conferences or just travelling through. So many friendships forged and strengthened.

The following users thanked this post: Jan Hurst-Nicholson

notthatamanda

« Reply #430 on: February 25, 2021, 10:14:17 PM »
I finally remembered to get ginger yesterday. $4/lb. Starting it inside under the grow bulb. We'll see.

Jan Hurst-Nicholson

• Epic Novel unlocked
    • Just4kix Books
« Reply #431 on: February 25, 2021, 11:34:13 PM »
I finally remembered to get ginger yesterday. $4/lb. Starting it inside under the grow bulb. We'll see.

Good luck  :cool:. Our ginger has come down from over R300/kg to R149/kg. Still far off the usual R49 - R89/kg.

The following users thanked this post: notthatamanda

LilyBLily

« Reply #432 on: February 26, 2021, 03:03:12 AM »
West Virginia, and the snow is finally melting away. I haven't seen actual dirt in weeks, so it's a thrill. Daffodils are up. Snowdrops are visible again. Best of all, because there has been such a continuous blanket of snow, we'll probably have early blooming. That's what has happened every time before when were hit by three feet all at once and it took a month to melt.

Basically: spring is around the corner! 

Maggie Ann

« Reply #433 on: February 26, 2021, 04:33:18 AM »
My daffodils keep getting taller, but there is no sign of flowers. I checked at Walmart to see if there were any hyacinths or tulips and had no luck.

One of my Vandas actually has three spikes. That's one that has not bloomed before. One of my Dendrobiums has another flowers spike. These guys just keep blooming and blooming and blooming. Not that I am complaining.

notthatamanda

« Reply #434 on: March 04, 2021, 11:05:43 PM »
Planted marigold seeds. The tomatoes need to be moved into pots soon. Nothing happening with the ginger yet. Most of the yard still has snow but I can see dirt around the lilacs so I started tossing banana peels there. One bloomed last spring, the other two I moved in the fall so I hope we get flowers. The spot they were in wasn't sunny enough so I just took some sprouts off the edges and replanted them.

idontknowyet

« Reply #435 on: March 05, 2021, 01:27:55 AM »
It's turn over time for us. We think we're down to the last cold spell. It's going into the 40/50s this weekend.
Plan is to plant about 1/3 of the babies next week. Going to wait on the tomatoes egglants and sweet potatoes.

All our spinach is up  :icon_sad: Still have like 20lbs or kale out side hope it sweetens a bit in the cold spell. Then we'll pull and process it next week.

LilyBLily

« Reply #436 on: March 05, 2021, 01:53:37 AM »
I found the first crocuses (species type) blooming on March 1. Good sign. I've been uncovering some daffodils that get clogged with oak leaves, but most aren't this year due to my efforts last fall. Lots of buds showing, if one can call them buds. Got out my garlic spray and hit all the crocuses and the grape hyacinth greenery the deer love so much. It's probably too late but I also sprayed some of the azaleas. Deer love some azaleas. Actually, it's best to list what they don't eat, which is a much shorter list.

notthatamanda

« Reply #437 on: March 05, 2021, 02:39:15 AM »
I buy a case of Irish spring soap at BJs and put it around the tulips, hydrangeas and hosta. The only azalea I have is right up against my house but the deer haven't been so bold yet.

notthatamanda

« Reply #438 on: March 05, 2021, 04:49:46 AM »
Organic sweet potatoes were on sale so I got one to try again. I think last year I started it in July, which was ridiculous, but maybe a couple of months inside in the sun will give me something to work with. Our season probably isn't hot long enough for sweet potatoes, but I'm willing to waste a dollar on it.

idontknowyet

« Reply #439 on: March 07, 2021, 11:19:20 AM »
Organic sweet potatoes were on sale so I got one to try again. I think last year I started it in July, which was ridiculous, but maybe a couple of months inside in the sun will give me something to work with. Our season probably isn't hot long enough for sweet potatoes, but I'm willing to waste a dollar on it.
Yeah i got my sweet potatoes started again this yea. Going to be brave and try them in the ground this year. If they over take the house send reinforcements to dig us out.

LilyBLily

« Reply #440 on: March 07, 2021, 01:04:29 PM »
I've got tomato seedlings started, many different types all mixed together. Should be fun.

I'm sure I've told my tale of seeing birds stealing the Irish Spring from my garden. I don't actually like the smell of that soap. The garlic spray doesn't stink once it dries. Only the animals can smell it.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #441 on: March 08, 2021, 12:10:47 AM »
Finally got to an orchid show yesterday. We used to go every year for my mother's birthday/mother's day but circumstances have prevented us from going since she died in 2017. Now, Covid and everything's been canceled. But I did find one for me and my granddaughter to go to only thirty minutes away.

I was practically drooling when we entered the venue. It was small enough that we could just browse and remember what we'd seen and wanted and not just impulse buy. Actually, I did one impulse buy but it was a succulent. The stem was about three inches around and had red (almost black) flowers at the tip. The tag said black diamond but I haven't found a picture of that exact plant online.

I did get a Dendrobium Nobile which I've wanted since the last show I went to. The Nobiles were kind of scrawny but I'll take care of it, and the blooms will be much denser next season.

I got five plants in all and we didn't leave until I'd run out of money. The only thing I didn't get that I wanted was a Vanda. Not that there weren't any there. There were some quite spectacular plants, 5-6 feet from root tip to leaf tip and beautiful big flowers, but they were priced at $250-600. I console myself that two of my own Vandas are spiking and one has four spikes with multiple buds.

I taught GD how to identify most of the orchids there. There were some that I was only familiar with the name and I was tempted, but I think I'll stick to the four varieties I have.

notthatamanda

« Reply #442 on: March 10, 2021, 03:46:11 AM »
50 degrees here so I took the tomatoes outside and put in bigger plots. They are so delicate, the stems can't hold up the leaves. This is typically as far as I get with seed so I am going to try to be good and remember to check and water them. Will start some more seeds this afternoon as the covered planter is free. Since it is going to be so warm this week I will repot some house plants as well. New diffenbachia coming up. Nothing happening on the ginger yet or the sweet potatoes, but I move those to a front window spot.

LilyBLily

« Reply #443 on: March 10, 2021, 11:34:06 AM »
The constant winds have turned the "dirt" to dust, and I am seeing cracks where I planted wire boxes filled with crocuses and other small bulbs. Fingers crossed the hot weather doesn't open them all and wear them right out before the temps dip again. But spring is here for sure. I've moved plenty of leaves in the past few days and the wind is moving more. I'll see how my experiment with netting over one garden fares; usually I have to take out ten or more tarps full of leaves from just this tiny bit of garden. The real problem with having to do that is that I also usually behead some flower while doing so.

Simon Haynes

« Reply #444 on: March 10, 2021, 12:49:21 PM »
Tomatos have overrun their patch, and I've got pumpkins and melon taking over the beans & capsicum. It's definitely too hot for beans, even with shadecloth up, but the sweetcorn and capsicum are thriving.

I should be pinching out runners and hand-pollinating pumpkin flowers and all that good stuff, but I'm taking a hands-off approach. It gets watered, it grows veg or it doesn't.

The spindly old lemon tree which was near-death when I bought this place 2 years ago has staged a remarkable turnaround. Amazing what 2-3 bags of cow manure and regular watering will do. It must have 30kg of lemons ripening on it right now, and since I use 1 per week my plan is to make a very large batch of lemon marmalade.

notthatamanda

« Reply #445 on: March 10, 2021, 01:21:34 PM »
The constant winds have turned the "dirt" to dust, and I am seeing cracks where I planted wire boxes filled with crocuses and other small bulbs. Fingers crossed the hot weather doesn't open them all and wear them right out before the temps dip again. But spring is here for sure. I've moved plenty of leaves in the past few days and the wind is moving more. I'll see how my experiment with netting over one garden fares; usually I have to take out ten or more tarps full of leaves from just this tiny bit of garden. The real problem with having to do that is that I also usually behead some flower while doing so.
Spring, huh. We may get snow again next week.

Edit - Irises are poking up. Possible snow for Tues, Wed, and Fri next week.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2021, 03:02:07 AM by notthatamanda »

idontknowyet

« Reply #446 on: March 20, 2021, 12:24:23 PM »
Overwintering peppers!!!

The best thing ever. We already have a dozen green bell peppers growing on the one plant we overwintered. My goal is to have twenty plants to overwinter this year.

We eat a ton of bell peppers.

Three beds of potatoes planted. Have all my raised beds set up just need to tie down the fencing to hold up the cukes and squash.

Next big project is to turn over the ground for sweet potatoes and plant the carrots.

LilyBLily

« Reply #447 on: March 20, 2021, 02:16:45 PM »
Single crocuses are popping up in unexpected places, dragged there by marauding squirrels in prior years. The wind is aggravating, but otherwise the cool-ish temps are good for slow-and-steady spring blooms: Small dutch irises ranging from speckled light blue through maroon to cobalt to purple. Tete-a-tete and Jetfire daffodils. Articulating hyacinths that should be yellow, red, and blue. Tiny blue scillas.

On the bad side, apparently the expensive arum lilies I bought years ago are super invasive non-native plants and people despair of removing them from their yards. Mine look healthy but aren't exactly taking over; in fact, they didn't even produce their orange seed stalks last year. It's just not wet enough around here for them, and strangely, if it gets too wet they also are unhappy. Some plants have amazingly deep roots and these supposedly do, too. I wonder if I should attempt to kill them. Or I could just change out the dirt around them for more of the toxic crumbled shale in which nothing grows; it masquerades as dirt around here. Pretty sure that would do the job.

RiverRun

« Reply #448 on: March 20, 2021, 09:11:55 PM »
I'm starting a garden this year! I hope. My daughter and I dug up a bed but I still need to plant the seeds. We are on the gulf coast of Texas and in spite of being half frozen in our living room a month ago :icon_rolleyes: It's getting late to plant, but I'm going to try anyway. My previous gardening attempts were utter failures so we'll see how this goes.

Simon, I used to live in New Mexico, which sounds very like where you are. I believe Sweet Potatoes grow there. Here in Texas I planted a sweet potato once along side some other vines, and never found it again!

Jan Hurst-Nicholson

• Epic Novel unlocked
    • Just4kix Books
« Reply #449 on: March 20, 2021, 09:48:14 PM »
My neighbour has been having a clear-out and gave me this cactus (among others) it has started flowering. Does anyone know what it is? My phone is too old for the plant recognition app.